Any tips for playing Conquest?

Marz

I am currently playing Conquest because I am really bored and I wanted to experience the struggle.

Any tips on playing Normal/Classic Conquest?

Like best pairings and the such.

Also should I wait until Level 20 to Master Seal?

DEFINITELY wait for level 20 to Master Seal.

Pairing-wise, I'd say don't sweat it on your first run, pair whoever you like.

Otherwise, I'm assuming no gold/exp DLC, so.... Pinch your pennies big time (like, only buy seals/staves when you REALLY need them) and squeeze as much experience out of every level as you can; IDK if you did this in Birthright (I do it habitually in every game, personally), but definitely stall for time to let Elise heal as many times as possible, dance for her with Azura, etc.

Oh and if someone isn't performing and you have enough good units to replace them, don't hesitate to drop someone. Of everyone, Odin in particular comes to mind; he can either be really good or really lackluster depending on how lucky he gets with growths.

Edited by BANRYU

I generally would wait until 20 to Master Seal, yes. Anyways...

The first thing that comes to mind is that Elise gets sick and ends up unusable in a certain chapter, so training Jakob or Felicia might be in your best interest.

Best pairings - on a blind run, just go with whoever (but FFS don't pair Elise with Keaton, because it's an awful support chain that culminates into a kid who doesn't want Elise's mods).

Tips - Difficulty spikes are all over the place (Chapter 10 is the first major one). Enemies will (usually) not attack your units if they do zero damage. Pay attention to enemy skills, because they're not necessarily restricted to class. Since experience is limited without DLC, you'll want to wait until level 20 (ideally), but it's not the end of the world if you wind up promoting someone at level 18.

A lot of the advice here is solid; preserve Master Seals until level 20 (or 18, if you're in a hurry), heal grinding, penny pinching, etc...

Another bit of advice: think carefully about who you'll be using and how to relegate experience to them. So, for example, if all your units are unpromoted by the time you get Xander, try to use Xander for weakening rather than straight up killing; either that, or, depending on the situation, use him to take on enemies you don't want your units fighting. Generally speaking, on the first run, you'll want to use all the royals. And as such, you might want to pair them up. But don't focus on using everyone, because that'll just result in everyone being underleveled after a certain point.

On the first run, most do blind pairings. Just figure what types of units the males (and Azura) are and figure that into who their potential partners can be. Generally speaking, the children aren't actually too much more useful than their parents unless you actually plan out who their parents are and how they'll grow and inherit skills, but due to the risk of encountering spoilers (and doing a blind run), it's generally a good idea to keep your nose out of everyone's unseen stats.

If you're concerned about how the support lines actually play out, then I'll just say experience them for yourself. You can generally get a good feel for how a support line will play out as a whole just from reading the C support, which is always pretty easy to get. Though sometimes, they could throw a curveball at you.

Other than that, just try to think tactically. Always plan for the next turn, be mindful of everything going on around your units, and definitely take advantage of your Avatar's unique position as an auxiliary unit. Unless there's a turn limit, don't be afraid to slow down and take it easy while you prepare for the trials ahead; some might be able to beat Endgame CQ Lunatic in 5 turns or whatever, but that's because they have elite LTC strats and have likely played the game to death (though in Endgame, it really is a good idea to keep moving so that you don't get overwhelmed by constantly spawning enemies). Keep in mind that Conquest was made with offline players in mind. There's never a reason you should ever have to obtain units from other castles, despite what the idiots at IGN might tell you. It also is possible to beat the game without a single unit dying, so sacrifices shouldn't be necessary.

Above all else, don't get discouraged. If you get frustrated with a particular level, go do something else for a time and come back later. The game can always wait.

If your team is underlevelled, use the previous suggestion or even Before Awakening to grind support points for people you aren't using, although I'm not sure if DLC grinds support. Also, only one DLC grants experience as a reward(Boo Camp), so don't think you can use Before Awakening to cheat.

If your team is underlevelled, use the previous suggestion or even Before Awakening to grind support points for people you aren't using, although I'm not sure if DLC grinds support. Also, only one DLC grants experience as a reward(Boo Camp), so don't think you can use Before Awakening to cheat.

This is true, you can use BA and MC battles to grind supports.

You actually CAN cheat a little bit in terms of money; Profiteer doesn't work on MC battles but it DOES work in the Awakening DLC, so if you upgrade Midori into a Merchant and use her there you can do that lol.

Nope, just supports! I don't remember if staff grinding is a thing (a little help here folks?).

I don't believe you get staff rank or experience for using them in My Castle on Conquest.

Normal/Classic should be pretty chill, so just kick back and relax. The game practically plays by its own in Normal. Focus your pairings a little more on pair-ups and stats for the 1st gens and just let babies happen on their own. Just stick to the general rule of "magical mom for magical kid" (Odin and Leo give magical kids).

two Popular ones are:

Elise/Odin for a very damn potent Ophelia

Charlotte/Xander for a Xander that can double and hit like a truck

Definitely do the Paralogues even if you aren't going to use any of the children. They are yet another way to raise your units' levels.

I also found out that it's better to do Kana's Paralogue later on when the enemies are higher-levelled (and thus yield more EXP), as the stage itself is very easy.