So... why do armorslayers exist?

Alastor15243

Considering General's now have the Wary Fighter ability (no more getting doubled on), A weapon that does more damage to them comes in handy.

There's already a weapon that does more damage to generals though: it's called magic. I don't see why anybody with a sword, axe or shuriken (Shuriken! How the hell is that even supposed to work? Are the things electric?) proficiency should be allowed a piece of that pie when generals have plenty of disadvantages already.

Edited by Alastor15243

There's already a weapon that does more damage to generals though: it's called magic. I don't see why anybody with a sword, axe or shuriken (Shuriken! How the hell is that even supposed to work? Are the things electric?) proficiency should be allowed a piece of that pie when generals have plenty of disadvantages already.

Considering "Low HP Emblem" and some generals carrying ranged weapons, magic isn't always a safe choice.

Giving units who can't use a specific weapon type (of which there are barely any natural users of!) a way of dealing with a particularly annoying enemy type is better game design than what you're suggesting (lol use a mage).

Edited by Refa

Giving units who can't use a specific weapon type (of which there are barely any natural users of!) a way of dealing with a particularly annoying enemy type is better game design than what you're suggesting (lol use a mage).

But it would be like making an item that halves the damage the holder takes from berserkers. Berserkers' strength is annoying, but that's because it's their strength. You're supposed to exploit their weaknesses, not use an item to cheat them when they don't have an excess of advantages to merit that added weakness.

But it would be like making an item that halves the damage the holder takes from berserkers. Berserkers' strength is annoying, but that's because it's their strength. You're supposed to exploit their weaknesses, not use an item to cheat them when they don't have an excess of advantages to merit that added weakness.

Swords are a more common weapon type than magic (your main character uses one in all of the FE games), so expecting the player to have a sword user is a much fairer assumption than expecting a player to have a magic user.

Edited by Refa

Swords are a more common weapon type than magic (your main character uses one in all of the FE games), so expecting the player to have a sword user is a much fairer assumption than expecting a player to have a magic user.

But that's the point. It renders the strategic challenge of dealing with armored foes meaningless, because a way to cheese them is readily available.

And besides, again, how is this any different from my hypothetical berserkerguard?

Edited by Alastor15243

You definitely have a counter to berserkers (AKA swords, in the same way that magic counters armor knights), whereas with magic you do not.

EDIT And honestly, there are barely any berserker enemies in FE games. I don't get why of all enemy types you picked them. Armor Knights are some of the most annoying enemy types early game because they're so tanky. Also your issues just seem to be general issues with effective weaponry.

Edited by Refa

You definitely have a counter to berserkers (AKA swords, in the same way that magic counters armor knights), whereas with magic you do not.

Did you mistype here? That doesn't seem to be relevant to what I'm talking about, and it's also not true (pegasus knights, ninja, outlaws with dual yumi, just to name three counters to magic).

Edited by Alastor15243

In Radiant Dawn, Armored Units had the highest resistance out of any physical class not riding a pegasus.

I'm pretty sure that's just their cap. In general I think the resistance growths of most armor knights (with Benny being a notable exception) tend to be fairly poor.