Tellius Recollection (Vol 2) Translation / Discussion Thread

Kirokan

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kirokan said:

Next up is 050 Zihark!

Neat! I've always liked Zihark, for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, even if I completely overlooked him as a unit in favor of Mia, Stefan and even Edward in RD. I did always wonder exactly how he met his ex-girlfriend and why he, unlike most of Daein, was completely unprejudiced toward laguz.

There's a whole story in there; maybe one of these days I'll work up enough motivation to write it. :lol:

On 2/3/2017 at 7:52 PM, Extrasolar said:

And thank God for that. That overly-sexualized Micaiah was so cringey, it was almost a parody. It's even more noticeable when people start sexualizing Tellius characters, since Tellius characters are pretty much the most sensibly and modestly dressed in the series.

Are you me?

12 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Are you me?

Haha. I've been saying this for a while about the newer designs in comparison to the older designs. I'm just glad to finally meet people who agree with me on this point. :lol:

I don't want to fill Kirokan's feed on how fed up I am with the newer designs, but it's surprisingly fun to come across others that do agree with me.

Kirokan, keep up the good work, Kirokan. 

Thing is, there are people actually going out of their way to defend them and dare bring up excuses like "oh but peggie girls dont use pants".

Edited by Soul~!

yeah i see more "am i the only one who likes camilla's design" than people actually complaining about it

i think tellius spoiled me aesthetically on this series, though echoes makes the future look a little more promising

10 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Thing is, there are people actually going out of their way to defend them and dare bring up excuses like "oh but peggie girls dont use pants".

Yup, and that's frustrating.

It's like, sure, there were fanservice elements way back in the day, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some of the stuff we're getting now, like with Camilla and Charlotte. People don't understand false equivalence a lot of the time. :>_<:

5 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

yeah i see more "am i the only one who likes camilla's design" than people actually complaining about it

Really? We must be from opposite sides of the internet, then. I've seen lots of people criticizing it.

And going off of me musing about Zihark, I forgot Zihark's involvement in the hilarious Brom and Meg marriage thing. That's probably a lot of why I like him so much, haha.

Signed up to the forums just to give 1000 props to Kirokan for translating these and everything else under the rising sun. Seriously, thank you.

Also I didn't truly appreciate The Shark until I saw that he has the biggest list of characters he refuses to attack in RD. He also makes Ilyana a better character by proxy. Is good guy.

12 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Yup, and that's frustrating.

Yeah, and not even entirely true. Base Pegasus knights always had just skirts, but check out Tellius's Falcon Knights and Seraph knights. They have FULL LEGGINGS.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, and not even entirely true. Base Pegasus knights always had just skirts, but check out Tellius's Falcon Knights and Seraph knights. They have FULL LEGGINGS.

Exactly this. Tanith and Titania are completely, fully dressed (and both of them look like badasses, I might add), and they're the female designs I most often point to for "this is what female designs in the series used to be, and could be again!"

Not that newer designs haven't had fully-dressed women, I know they have, but a lot of the armor has become very inexplicable and sexualized. Even Nephenee's armor wasn't nearly as bad as Camilla/Charlotte! And the less said about the thongs of the newer knights the better...

Speaking of FE women, have one of the most voted for characters from FE9/10 in the Heroes poll:

070 Nephenee

6 hours ago, a bear said:

Signed up to the forums just to give 1000 props to Kirokan for translating these and everything else under the rising sun. Seriously, thank you.

Also I didn't truly appreciate The Shark until I saw that he has the biggest list of characters he refuses to attack in RD. He also makes Ilyana a better character by proxy. Is good guy.

Wow, it means a lot to hear that! It's comments like that which keep me going, so thank you and you're welcome. : )

Nephenee is supposed to be "incredibly beautiful"? I never saw that. And that's mainly because she hides her face like it says. I can't really tell if she's pretty at all. I do like the color of her armor though. I wish she'd supported with Geoffrey in PoR. I've occasionally seen fanfics use this pairing, and it sounds appealing. The shy country girl with a handsome chivalrous knight? That works for me. I actually dig pairings that defy backgrounds and social status and such more anyway.

Edited by Anacybele

I saw the characters ages that were mentioned, but doesn't the Branded Characters usually age slower than human's life span? Also, I did seen the age showed that Micaiah is 15 (I wasn't sure if they meant like 15 in her human appearance since Branded characters are half-Beorc and half-Laguz and she does have Brand of the Heron since Herons that can live longer than humans and beast Laguz?) and Sothe is 17, but I did seen the flashback from Part 4 showed Sothe when he was a child during in the Path of Radiance timeline that Micaiah looked like she still looks the same in the Path of Radiance timeline while Sothe was short in Path of Radiance. And I never guessed that Elincia was one year older than Ike since his official age was confirmed as 17 in Path of Radiance back then?

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Nephenee is supposed to be "incredibly beautiful"? I never saw that. And that's mainly because she hides her face like it says. I can't really tell if she's pretty at all. I do like the color of her armor though.

Yeah, I remember Heather being quite taken with her in Radiant Dawn, plus Calill was constantly trying to get Nephenee to accept the fact that she was pretty in their Path of Radiance supports. Though, out-of-universe, she's no more attractive than literally every other character (Fire Emblem: where everyone in your army is stunningly gorgeous...well, except Oliver, Makalov, and the like..but, we're batting, like, 98% of the FE cast here).

29 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I saw the characters ages that were mentioned, but doesn't the Branded Characters usually age slower than human's life span? Also, I did seen the age showed that Micaiah is 15 (I wasn't sure if they meant like 15 in her human appearance since Branded characters are half-Beorc and half-Laguz and she does have Brand of the Heron since Herons that can live longer than humans and beast Laguz?) and Sothe is 17, but I did seen the flashback from Part 4 showed Sothe when he was a child during in the Path of Radiance timeline that Micaiah looked like she still looks the same in the Path of Radiance timeline while Sothe was short in Path of Radiance.

Yup, Branded age slower than beorc. Soren is meant to look 16 years old in Path of Radiance, but we get confirmation that he's older than that ("I thought I was aging normally...At least until a few years ago," or something to that effect when he talks to Stefan in their supports). Micaiah is implied to be at least a few decades old, despite looking just as young as Soren and even younger than Sothe. She basically acted like a surrogate mother/older sister to him (which is why I will always hate the romantic pairing)

Not sure if the type of Branded you are influences how slowly you age in comparison, though. If that's the case, Soren should age slowest of all, then Micaiah, and then Stefan.

All the ages listed for the laguz and Branded characters are what they appear to be, rather than what they actually are, I believe.

Edited by Extrasolar

I think Micaiah is somewhere in her early-to-mid 20s. She's older than the events of the Serenes Massacre (Sephiran believed she had been killed) but wasn't really old enough to recall being a part of the Begnion theocracy.

Without knowing when Almehda and Ashnard met, it's hard to say how old Soren is. He seems to have aged more quickly than Micaiah, as it seems no one has noticed his aging. Either that, or he aged similarly to a beorc up until very recently, then halted, as no one in the Greil Mercs have remarked on him over the several years he's been around them.

Edited by Samias

2 hours ago, Samias said:

I think Micaiah is somewhere in her early-to-mid 20s. She's older than the events of the Serenes Massacre (Sephiran believed she had been killed) but wasn't really old enough to recall being a part of the Begnion theocracy.

Without knowing when Almehda and Ashnard met, it's hard to say how old Soren is. He seems to have aged more quickly than Micaiah, as it seems no one has noticed his aging. Either that, or he aged similarly to a beorc up until very recently, then halted, as no one in the Greil Mercs have remarked on him over the several years he's been around them.

Soren couldn't have aged faster, as it's been said that dragon Branded live the longest out of all the possible Branded types, meaning he should age the slowest. Makes sense too, because dragon laguz themselves are the longest living creatures in Tellius. Dheginsea has to be like 1000...

Edited by Anacybele

17 hours ago, Kirokan said:

Speaking of FE women, have one of the most voted for characters from FE9/10 in the Heroes poll:

070 Nephenee

When I was younger I just loved Nephenee so much without realizing that I was relating to her for her shyness. But besides that she was always a bad A unit.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Soren couldn't have aged faster, as it's been said that dragon Branded live the longest out of all the possible Branded types, meaning he should age the slowest. Makes sense too, because dragon laguz themselves are the longest living creatures in Tellius. Dheginsea has to be like 1000...

Yeah, IIRC the Tellius Recollection says that Dragon Branded tend to live roughly 185 years, Lion Branded 94 years, and Tigers 65 years (not like that's an amazingly long time, but I guess for the time...) Wow... Soren would have a lot of time without Ike after about 60 or so years... That's kind of a sad thought. I'm not sure Soren could handle losing Ike that way...

Dheginsea has to be over 1000. He was already a fully-grown, huge dragon during the war with Yune, which was roughly 1000 years before POR. I believe that dragon lifespans are said to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 years? Kurth is the youngest dragon at 100 in Radiant Dawn, and in the Recollection he's supposed to look 17, so I imagine that middle age looking Dheginsea is at least 1500 - 1700 or so.

6 hours ago, Samias said:

Micaiah was never a part of Begnion theocracy in her youth; the furthest back we get of her backstory, she was a fortune-teller in Daein and met Sothe in Nevassa, so I assume that she was born and raised in Daein, or was taken there very early on in her life.. She didn't learn of her connection to Sanaki and Misha until Radiant Dawn.

6 hours ago, Samias said:

I'd put him in the neighborhood of 20 or early 20s or so, which is similar to your estimate of Micaiah. Since he did seem to be aging at a normal rate, or close to it, as a child, as he himself says he didn't think anything was up until a few years before Path of Radiance. Going off the Dragon laguz alone, Nasir mentions that they age relatively normally until a certain point, and then just stop showing signs of age altogether. Dragon Branded may work on a slightly watered-down version of it

As far as no one noticing him aging slowly, nobody in the Greil Mercenaries knows exactly how old Soren is mean to be, so I think it's likely they assume he is far younger than he actually is, as does most everyone else in the games (lots of people call him a boy, a child, or in Shinon's case, a whelp), so they pay him no mind. Stefan kind of lords it over his head in their supports that all the beorc around him will notice him aging slowly...eventually, but likely not until at least a decade or two has passed.

Now that I think about it, Stefan kind of terrified poor Soren in that conversation.

9 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Yeah, IIRC the Tellius Recollection says that Dragon Branded tend to live roughly 185 years, Lion Branded 94 years, and Tigers 65 years (not like that's an amazingly long time, but I guess for the time...) Wow... Soren would have a lot of time without Ike after about 60 or so years... That's kind of a sad thought. I'm not sure Soren could handle losing Ike that way...

Yeah, but some of what the book says doesn't make sense to me. 65 seems to be the average normal beorc lifespan too. If Branded age slower and live longer no matter what kind of laguz they're descended from, beast laguz living to only 65 on average doesn't make sense.

I think my headcanon is a lot more reasonable:

Dragon Branded lifespan: 500

Feline Branded lifespan: 200

Wolf Branded lifespan: 300

Bird Branded lifespan: 250

I came up with this a good while ago when I created a wolf Branded character who is 80 years old, but looks to be his mid to late twenties. And these are just averages. Depending on how much laguz blood the Branded inherited compared to beorc, they can live a good bit longer or shorter than these numbers. My character in particular has more laguz blood than beorc and it's resulted in him having incredible power as well as pretty slow aging. He can be so strong that he was called a monster and a traitor and other horrible things because he mistakenly hurt a lot of people. I was just trying to give a sense of individuality to the Branded. Just like every person in real life is different, every Branded is too, even those descended from the same type of laguz.

All of this came well before the artbooks though, of course.

Edited by Anacybele

Actually, Soren is sixteen at the time of Path of Radiance. We know this from what he says in his and Ike's B support: 

Soren    : When I was about four, a nearby sage came by and asked
           to take me in.
Soren:   : When the sage died two years later, I had acquired much magical
           skill.

This shows he was about six years old when he met Ike. We also know that the day after he and Ike met, Greil went on his berserk rampage, causing him to leave Gallia. Caineghis mentions that Greil left ten years ago.  Thus, Soren is sixteen. 

This artbook is a little weird, I think, in regards to ages. I would take them with a pinch of salt. 

24 minutes ago, Elementia said:

This artbook is a little weird, I think, in regards to ages. I would take them with a pinch of salt. 

Huh... Wait, is this just an inconsistency with writing? Because in Soren x Stefan support:

Stefan: You’ve grown quite good at hiding it. But, it’s merely a matter of time before your heritage becomes…evident.
Soren: …Evident?
Stefan: You may have already started to notice. We age differently than the beorc. Of course, the specifics of it depend on the type of laguz blood that flows in your veins.
Soren: I thought I was aging normally… Well, until about three years ago.

I mean, he appears to be 16ish from his artwork and all, so I think he must be older than that if he's saying that he noticed he wasn't aging normally 3 years ago.