Hardest & frustrating FE games ever

Harvey

I have FE6, FE7, and FE8 on my 3DS via the GBA Ambassador hack.

Wow, I mean out of all of us I'm the guy who played BB on the actual GBA cart in japanese?

Quite frankly, I'm shocked.

But yeah, playing it on the native, actual-not-an-emulation hardware was fine. Completely fine.

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE4 might have map saves, but that's because their maps are so insanely huge and long that it justified them.

Also level ups were a set seed of RNGs given at the beginning of the game too, like in Lunatic modes of Fates. You couldn't ever wash away those +1 HP, +1 Luck level ups.... my poor Lester.

There has always been a difference of Suspends versus Battle Saves.

Battle Saves didn't exist in the recent era until FE11's map saves unless you had savestates.

I have FE6, FE7, and FE8 on my 3DS via the GBA Ambassador hack.

And I don't see any problem with the GBA's implementation.

FE4 might have map saves, but that's because their maps are so insanely huge and long that it justified them.

While it is punishing... it was a different era from the SNES.

And has been the standard for every classic mode entry in the series since then.

I don't see why FE6 alone should take Harvey's criticism of it.

Hell FE9 and FE10 (JP or Hard Mode had Suspend, not Battle Save) were even more punishing since they didn't auto suspend. If the power cut out, you had to start over period. The GBA games let you return to it immediately if your battery happens to die.

I only mentioned FE6 because it was the only one in question that was being talked about versus FE4. I really don't see a point in mentioning the other ones. I can actually see where Harvey is coming from on that. Large maps on a game that you can't have a permanent save where you could start a chapter, leave and come back a few weeks later is a bit worse than say... Fire Emblem 1 where maps are smaller and faster and are made to be done in a couple of minutes. The reason Harvey is talking about Fire Emblem 6 and it alone is that he thinks maps are too big in FE6 and don't have saves at the same time. If he thinks that's only a problem for Fire Emblem 6, then it makes sense to only bring up Fire Emblem 6.

That said, that's dependent on whether the fact that you think that maps are potentially large in Fire Emblem 6. I can think of a few that I think are too long, but that's more so because I think the design of the chapter itself is annoying and not well done (the Armads chapter comes to mind).

• 1 month later...

Personally I found FE4 to be the most frustrating among the titles I played. I love its story and its soundtrack but I find the long maps, the lack of trading, and the pairing mechanic very tedious and annoying. I also found it quite hard, or at least much harder than the other FE titles I had played at the time.

I haven't played enough of FE5 and FE6 to say, but in the first couple of chapters they turned out to be a lot harder than the first chapters in FE7 and FE8 (Well, I guess I'm not saying anything new here...). Also I found FE10 to be quite challenging compared to FE9, and it forced me to play in a different way, with much more care.

Edited by geraq