Moments from Non-Horror Games that Scared You

CooledEvergreen

Both of these are me.

Holy shit, I absolutely hate playing Skyrim because I know that I will eventually run into either a Frostbite Spider or a Chaurus. Another game, or rather a game boss, that still freaks me out is the finger spider boss from Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

Also, yes, VTM:B is one of the only games whose atmosphere I can say was on point at all points during the game. The Ocean House and the Tzimisce Sewers still give me the heebie jeebies despite the fact that I know what is to come. Even running on the HUB streets have a distinct sense of eeriness to them. That game was and is an unintentional masterpiece, but I better stop before I start gushing about it.

Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only person to feel this way!

And yes, I've played VtM:B several times and I still get the biggest chill down my spine in many of the areas. I feel like it's still a hugely underrated game.

Myst - The bad endings in the first game. Quite frankly, I was too scared to watch them at all. Turns out freeing one of the brothers from the books means that they will swap places with you. So you end up trapped in a prison dimension watching helplessly as the brothers slowly rip out all the pages that you collected throughout the game, taunting you all the way until the connection between the worlds is completely severed.

Super Mario 64 - Several people mentioned the piano in Mario 64 but how about the labyrinth with the poisonous gas in the Hazy Maze Cave. Nothing quite like the sound of Mario choking to death while you run around aimlessly through the yellow gas in a panic desperately trying to find a way out. And Mario's actual death animation if he dies there... *shudder*

It's quite surprising how horrifying some of those death animations were. I mean, how do you go from comically dropping from the screen to slow suffocation?

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - I don't recall anything in a Zelda game being all that scary... except for those freaking Bomb Trains. They kill you in one hit, are faster then you, can't be killed and as they come closer this lovely melody gets louder and louder:

It's rare for a Zelda game to kill you this quickly, let alone for it to send such a threat after you while you are in such a vulnerable state.

Baldur's Gate - Chapter 6: Return to Candle Keep. Nothing quite like the harmless starting area of an RPG becoming a death trap with all of your friends trying to murder you. It doesn't exactly help that this is the very first time that the series just cuts you off from the rest of the game world like this.

Edited by BrightBow

Something from Super Mario 64 that hasn't been mentioned, I think.

Dorrie from the original Super Mario 64. She just kinda...swims around. And I could swear I recall getting eaten by her one time. =<

• 3 weeks later...

I'd enter in panic whenever this played, if it counts. When I used to play Sonic on my childhood, whenever I couldn't help Sonic get some air I'd get desperate, start pressing Down hoping that it'd make an air bubble come out or just release the joystick and give up.

I'm not sure if the Zero Escape series count or not since they probably fall into psychological terror category, but there were plenty of scenes that scared me or got me by surprised, especially:

[spoiler=999]

The Axe Ending.

[spoiler=Virtue's Last Reward]

Young!Sigma discovering that he lost his eye and arm during the epilogue, now replaced with bare metal replacements.

On Phi's route, Diana looking creepily toward her and Sigma while they are the only survivors and Diana is the most likely suspect of being the killer.

Sigma believing he may be a robot or a creation of Zero because he bled white blood (because, unknown to him, he had robotic limbs), until Diana proved to him that he wasn't. But it is even worse if you pick the choice to cheat at the Ambidex Game and get enough points to leave. The group just knock Sigma out cold, take his arm off without even caring about bandaging it up and leave him alone in the facility. The sight of his severed arm gives him enough of a shock to earn the player a Game Over.

Alice looking creepily toward the group while under effect of Radical-6.

[spoiler=Zero Time Dilemma]

Berserk Mode Sean.

One of the endings where D Team is killed one by one, which also counts as a tear jerker.

Akame sneaking behind Carlos and smashing his head with a fire extinguisher repeatedly while screaming.

Edited by Rapier

The Spooky chapter of Conker's Bad Fur Day, despite being more of a parody than anything, still manages to make me shit my pants from time to time. The music (or, at times, lack thereof), atmosphere, and the FUCKING ZOMBIES are spooky(heh) as hell.

The Hall of Darkness from Etrian Odyssey IV is a rare case of an RPG making me unnerved. The place is teeming with really tough/annoying/downright aggravating (I'M LOOKING AT YOU YOU MUSKOID FUCKBOYS) enemies. The music and overall atmosphere are also worth noting.

The boss of the Ice Temple(forget the exact name, but I know that's not it) from Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess also scared me for...spoileriffic reasons.

The Creepy Castle Ballroom from Donkey Kong 64. Holy shit, that music is HORRIFYING.

King Jinjo from Banjo-Tooie after he becomes zombified also scared me as a kid. Those empty eyes. Good lord.

Nana, the ghost granny from Luigi's Mansion was, as far as I can remember, the ONLY part of that game that explicitly scared me as a kid.

And of course, the piano from Super Mario 64. No introduction necessary.

I have a few, too, although it's all spoiler-ish. Read at your own risk:

Shin Megami Tensei IV

That freaking face popping out of Lucifer's left arm midway through the fight utterly terrified me.

For a protector deity, Masakado looks rather terrifying himself, especially his full version.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse

Poor Toki getting transformed into the 'mother goddess' Inanna and having her love for Nanashi getting corrupted like this... and then her anguished screams while "giving birth to" (read: resurrecting) Maitreiya. Urgh. It was more unsettling than scary, but still tough stuff to swallow. Made worse by the fact that Toki is a 14 year old girl... *shudders*

Stella Glow

Hilda's Song of Ruin. A calming melody, but still haunting somehow.

There are these unsettling screams that can be heard whenever loli-Final Boss Eve tries to interact with you-should-obviously-have-parental-instincts-towards-her Marie, made worse by the nightmare fuel background that accompanies them.

And then there's Eve's Angel form.

Shadow of the Colossus

The only thing I feel when I fight Colossus no. 8, 11, and 14 is fright. Pure and utter fright. Must be the music. Or the fact that they can easily kill you.

Bravely Second

The Ba'als (no, not the round, bouncy ones!) are pretty terrifying in general, but...

Diamante takes the cake. Easily.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

The scene where Yuuko gets absorbed by the Eater. And then the thing that results from the absorption. Nightmare fuel at its best.

The Eaters in general would make Lovecraft proud.

That one section of the final episode of Life is Strange

where you have to stealth your way through Max's dream and everyone is following you. Every time I got caught and had to restart the section just to rehear cringey lines like "The only place I can be myselfie is in the dark room" I actually felt emotionally triggered.