Official NoA Names

SalShich10N

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

Erinys actually makes perfect sense, since an Erinys is actually another name for a Fury, a Greek mythological goddess of vengeance.

It's an actual name from Irish mythology, and Delmud was just a wonky romanization of the katakana.

I know they're accurate, but Celtic names are still odd in english.

38 minutes ago, DemolisherBPB said:

I feel thats why lots have had server changes actually. To make it stand out from fan translations ect. I'd be surprised if nearly all were the same as in the one I have on my phone (yes I play the NES and SNES games on my phone) I'd also think they'd just stolen them from the translation patches.

I have nothing wrong with Fury or a child Wrath...you be as edgy as you need..I feel that might be behind the Fury change. It's a little edgy for a peg.rider...Like

Well, who knows. It was NoA the ones that reverted Navarre from Nabarl back in Shadow Dragon... as well as keeping Hyman.

Gotta give them character some way. I'm the kind of person who gave Karin the skill Wrath in Thracia.

6 minutes ago, SalShich10N said:

I know they're accurate, but Celtic names are still odd in english.

Except Erinys is Greek.  I like Erinys because it's a nice callback to her Japanese name of Fury.  But Erin has nothing to do with that, hence why it looked really out-of-place to me.

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Except Erinys is Greek.  I like Erinys because it's a nice callback to her Japanese name of Fury.  But Erin has nothing to do with that, hence why it looked really out-of-place to me.

Erinys is fine, I have no problem with that one. When I said odd I was mostly talking about names like Diarmuid, Hermina, Luchar, Lucharba, my and new favorite "Naoise",

1 minute ago, SalShich10N said:

Erinys is fine, I have no problem with that one. When I said odd I was mostly talking about names like Diarmuid, Hermina, Luchar, Lucharba, my and new favorite "Naoise",

Hermina is a name of Spanish and Greek origin, not Irish, while Luchar and Lucharba are supposed to be Iuchar and Iucharba with capital i.

Just now, Vaximillian said:

IIRC, bookofholsety chose Erin as it is an actual name that still alludes to the Erinyes.

Then call her Erinyes.  No shortcuts, because Erin has a completely different name meaning.

I have nothing good to say about that decision.

11 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

Hermina is a name of Spanish and Greek origin, not Irish, while Luchar and Lucharba are supposed to be Iuchar and Iucharba with capital i.

I'm mexican and Hermina sounds specially odd in Spanish and it specially makes Luchar and Lucharba sound so odd. I just imagine both brothers as masked luchadores for cheap downtown fights. And again, my point is that they sound strange.

Edited by SalShich10N

12 minutes ago, SalShich10N said:

I'm mexican and Hermina sounds specially odd in Spanish and it specially makes Luchar and Lucharba sound so odd. I just imagine both brothers as masked luchadores for cheap downtown fights. And again, my point is that they sound strange.

Well...to be fair...Luchar and Lucharba aren't exactly the most serious of characters to start with.  I do actually wonder if their whole comedic nature is why they got the silly names?

EDIT: Also, whoa, look at that; I just used the names without thinking about it.  And I didn't even LIKE them...maybe these guys are more brilliant than I thought :o:

Edited by FionordeQuester

17 minutes ago, SalShich10N said:

I could probably agree. Maybe if it was Herminia...

Ahahaha, now I'm imagining it. One Rudo, the other Tecnico. I'll admit, to me they sound funny to have those names, considering things.

Sorry everyone, I just had to do this

HeyYvK2.jpg

10 minutes ago, FionordeQuester said:

Well...to be fair...Luchar and Lucharba aren't exactly the most serious of characters to start with.  I do actually wonder if their whole comedic nature is why they got the silly names.

Forced fratricide wasn't that funny. Or maybe it was... I don't recall

1 hour ago, SalShich10N said:

Sorry everyone, I just had to do this

HeyYvK2.jpg

Forced fratricide wasn't that funny. Or maybe it was... I don't recall

Eh...it's not really "forced" in that case; the other brother could've ALSO joined if he wanted, but just decided to say "screw it" for whatever reason.  That's their own blasted fault.

5 minutes ago, CappnRob said:

Naoise is actually the "proper" spelling of Noish, which is an Irish mythical figure.

But it's actually pronounced "Knee-shuh" is it not? Still it looks too close to a fancy way of saying "Nice" for me to not call him that.

4 minutes ago, FionordeQuester said:

Eh...it's not really "forced" in that case; the other brother could've ALSO joined if he wanted, but just decided to say "screw it" for whatever reason.  That's their own blasted fault.

They sure love their Samson/Aran situations, do they not? Fates was also supposed to be entirely based around choosing one and killing the other but in a larger scale.

What gets me about Johan and Johalva is those are obviously German-esque games in a game that has a lot of strong Germanic mythological vibes. There's a lot of Irish in FE4 too, but its secondary to the Norse/German stuff. Plus the fact they're both big manly axe mans.... :Y

31 minutes ago, CappnRob said:

What gets me about Johan and Johalva is those are obviously German-esque games in a game that has a lot of strong Germanic mythological vibes. There's a lot of Irish in FE4 too, but its secondary to the Norse/German stuff. Plus the fact they're both big manly axe mans.... :Y

Jugdral is pretty much 40% Celtic, 50% Germanic mythology, 10% everything else.

2003: "This Luthea guy looks pretty girly, let's give him a more masculine name so people won't be confused."

2017: "This Azel guy looks pretty girly, let's give him a more feminine name so people will be confused!"

Who's in charge of this

14 minutes ago, TheEnd said:

2003: "This Luthea guy looks pretty girly, let's give him a more masculine name so people won't be confused."

2017: "This Azel guy looks pretty girly, let's give him a more feminine name so people will be confused!"

Who's in charge of this

I honestly forgot Luthier was a guy and just assumed he was a girl with a slightly masculine name. I wonder if the same thing happened with Azel in reverse. It wouldn't be the weirdest thing that happened with these localized names, honestly.

7 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

I honestly forgot Luthier was a guy and just assumed he was a girl with a slightly masculine name. I wonder if the same thing happened with Azel in reverse. It wouldn't be the weirdest thing that happened with these localized names, honestly.

Actually, Ruthea is the original Japanese version of Lucius.

Just now, Vaximillian said:

Actually, Ruthea is the original Japanese version of Lucius.

That's what I get for posting at a time I should probably be sleeping. I didn't even notice the date TheEnd gave.