• Peri
    • Siegbert
    • Silas
    • Sophie
    • Stahl
    • Sully
    • Xander
    • I don't know

Cavaliers are all about balance. Some might prefer skill/speed, others strength/defence, but in the end, a cavalier should be doing decent in everything, if not great at anything in particular. This is balanced by the fact they have a horse, which allows them to travel much farther than footunits over plains (though much slower over mountains and desert), making them far more versitale in strategic positioning, as well as being the cornerstone of low-turn strategies.

And by golly, are there a lot of them. At least two archetypes require a total of three cavaliers to be represented in each game (the Crutch Pal and the Christmas Cavs), and that's not counting whatever generic cavaliers they add to pad out the roster (of which there is usually at least one).

To celebrate the fact I got a new charger and can now do these off a laptop and not a phone, why not the biggest one by far? So many, it might've been downright ludicrous to pair them up into Classic/Veteran/Modern, at least without offering more votes- which I don't think I can do well here.

Also, Modern is now finally not the smallest time period represented.

EDIT: Text fixes. Better than missing characters.

Edited by phineas81707

Ohh wow this one is TOUGH!

Umm for the NES era I don't know them very well although I have played Shadow Dragon I haven't played the rest. I do think Mathilda has a nice design and I like a lot of their palettes, but I went with Matthis because I actually like his sister is one of my favorite units and I like pink hair.

Snes era is a little bit harder but still not too invested. I voted for Amalda because I like that she uses staves although Selphina is a close second because she reminds me of one of my favorite cavaliers (she came first to be fair but I played that other game first).

Gba is where it starts to get really hard for me. I couldn't pick between Isadora, Franz,Sue, and Seth but in the end I voted Franz because I think i've used him the most out of them.

GCN/Wii is the hardest for me because I like all of them but Titania, Fiona, and Astrid are my top three. I all of their designs and Titania's character is really memorable, but I also like Astrid's character for different reasons (in particular FE9)...ugh I think I'm going with Astrid because I always pick her.

3ds era is where I don't like anyone at all but Silas isn't so bad so I picked him.

That is some expansion for you. Also, Sirius, Finn, Sain, Don't know squat, Stahl.

Sirius.... saying his story's spoilers, so just saying he's a good unit, despite being close to a Jeigan in the remake (he's certainly more than that, but if unlucky he'll end up not so good for the final boss). HM to Frey (who's canon fate in FE11 is interesting, and unlike Arran he's a great unit himself for his titles to the end), Arran (this is for his backstory, for gameplay he's either trash or an appropriate Jeigan) and Cain/Abel (for being the OG christmas cavs)

Finn is my choice for favourite mounted unit in the series, so he's my pick here. One of the most prominent characters (appearing in both gens of FE4 and FE5), who has a good if simplistic personality (though there's more to discuss that can be seen as grey in Thracia 776) and is good in each appearance. HM to Ares (Holy Weapons man.), Carrion (PE, sure, but this guy was amazing for me, even dismounted, and he actually does have a moment or two of character, which is rare in his game), Oifey (Nice character in both gens, and he's pretty great as a unit himself) and Cuan (Best Jeigan? Maybe. But he's fierce, and it shows.) (Trust me, I had more listed, but that was mostly gameplay (Beowolf, Delmud, Fergus, Lex, Johan, Lester, Midir)).

Honestly, this is the most even to pick from, and I'm going with Sain. Weapon Triangle Mastery, fun character, pretty consistently good as a unit overall and from early on. HM to Forde (Ghast's video helped me see him in a new light, but as a unit I have not gotten him to work well often), Percival (Great in gameplay (For halfway :P), alright in supports) and Kyle (Sure, he's a stick in the mud, but he's a good stick) (If only Franz was better early on!).

Not played Tellius, so don't know.

Stahl is my pick for the 3DS titles, as I've always liked his interactions the most  of the cavs and he's a nice, tanky unit in his own right. HM to Frederick (How many times will he save your ass in game? I don't think anyone keeps count), Sully (her own issues with others and perceptions of her gender notwithstanding, she's still good as a unit and has got good speed on her side) and Silas (This is for gameplay, as he actually has defence in Birthright. Pretty similar to Stahl, but not as a appealing interactions)

I think you missed Rody in NES/DS

Sirius, the not red comet.

Finn. Hero Lance, manages to be present in first and second gen, and in Thracia. He does so much more than anyone in his position would be expected to do. 

Perceval. The only truly good prepromote in FE6. Biggest paladin, so axes are no big deal, he also has weapon rank to start. He's also purple, which is a plus in my eyes.

Oscar. He's been a favorite for me since my first PoR playthrough. His supports are good, and he's always turned out good in my playthroughs.

Stahl. I actually don't like most of these characters. But Stahl's okay. He's the least offensive anyways.

Sirius/Camus for being OP and interesting, Finn for being the savior of early game FE5, Rath for being the most useful bow user in a game sorely missing good bow units(Bonus points for being Sue's father, who is also awesome. Also RathXLyn OTP FIGHT ME ABOUT IT), Keiran for being the epitome of the red cavalier, and Peri for being Peri(Also FIGHT ME ABOUT IT).

Just now, Cornguy said:

That must be a translation I'm not familiar with, I had assumed Roderick was a Gaiden character I didn't know. Oh well.

For this poll, I wrote down all characters on a Word document the night before, so I had made the same assumption.

Also because Gaiden has, like, Mycen and Zeke.

Abel / Finn / Forde / Titania /Stahl

I love Roderick as a character but Abel is the The Man in FE11 and I like his storyline too.

Finn's my favorite "cav" in the series overall-- great availability in two games, good characterization for the SNES era, great weapon, fun as hell to use whether it's Miracle abuse in FE4 or capturing goons in FE5.

GBA cavaliers are a likable crew overall but Forde's personality puts him over the top for me.

Titania just rocks in every dimension.

Stahl's a great guy who knows his limitations and is trying to improve in a plausibly human way. Talks a little too much about food but man, I like him. Plus he was a good unit.

Abel, Lex, Forde, Makalov and Sophie. They are all unique in some way, with the exception of Sophie who doesn't really have much competition in my opinion (aside from maybe Xander, whom I have a love-hate relationship with since I find him way more broken than Ryoma and his character so hard to judge I don't really know how to view him...).