Trails of Cold Steel - A Spoiler Free Review by Jedi

Jedi

15 hours ago, DodgeDusk said:

Regarding Rean being the worst protagonist in Trails: I don't think Rean's actually bad in CS1, since he isn't the main focus of the game (Class VII as a whole are). CS2 focusing on Rean is where Rean's problems start showing, in my opinion. Rean in CS1 is pretty okay, though he's not Estelle good. Can't really comment on Lloyd.

Two-year wait until Cold Steel 3. Gonna be brutal. 

Yeah, same here. I want to see some CS2 sidequest stuff get mentioned in CS3.

Well yeah, Rean is mostly just bland in CS1, and even had some potential. But like Lloyd, he isn't as interesting as Estelle or Kevin.

You think it's gonna take that long? We might just have the first Calvard game by then...

15 hours ago, Jedi said:

Maybe they could do something where they ask you a few questions at the start of a file in CS3, about what you did in CS1 & 2, it'd be lame in comparison to actual transfers, but you could still emulate the choices maybe.

I doubt they're going to do something like that, as it wouldn't look very elegant. I'm seriously expecting they'll do like in 3rd and avoid meaningful transfers altogether, as CS3 starts after the longest timeskip so far. I'll also shut up before I spoil you about CS2

12 minutes ago, TheEnd said:

I doubt they're going to do something like that, as it wouldn't look very elegant. I'm seriously expecting they'll do like in 3rd and avoid meaningful transfers altogether, as CS3 starts after the longest timeskip so far. I'll also shut up before I spoil you about CS2

I'm kind of just hoping that, the relationship values I started for Rean & Emma will carry into the later games is all :P: Whats that? Total bias? No way

I guess i'm just being weird in wanting something like that. They'll have to do something canon i'm sure.

38 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I'm kind of just hoping that, the relationship values I started for Rean & Emma will carry into the later games is all :P: Whats that? Total bias? No way

I guess i'm just being weird in wanting something like that. They'll have to do something canon i'm sure.

You have good taste, sir, but I must spoil something for you right away: they don't carry over meaningfully. Falcom considered the idea, but decided it wouldn't be a convenient design choice... and I doubt they'll change their minds now.

30 minutes ago, TheEnd said:

You have good taste, sir, but I must spoil something for you right away: they don't carry over meaningfully. Falcom considered the idea, but decided it wouldn't be a convenient design choice... and I doubt they'll change their minds now.

Thanks for telling me, I honestly appreciate knowing that now.  

My copy of CS2 should be coming in today speaking of which, maybe i'll invade the FE4 thread finally :P: 

3 hours ago, TheEnd said:

Well yeah, Rean is mostly just bland in CS1, and even had some potential. But like Lloyd, he isn't as interesting as Estelle or Kevin.

You think it's gonna take that long? We might just have the first Calvard game by then...

Aye. It's a shame to hear Lloyd isn't up there with Estelle or Kevin.

Well, from what I understand, Falcom don't allow anybody to start localisation on their games until they've been released in Japan. So depending on how big CS3 is, the west might not even get it in 2018.

1 hour ago, DodgeDusk said:

Aye. It's a shame to hear Lloyd isn't up there with Estelle or Kevin.

Well, from what I understand, Falcom don't allow anybody to start localisation on their games until they've been released in Japan. So depending on how big CS3 is, the west might not even get it in 2018.

Yeah, he's a fairly generic protagonist. His core group does have amazing chemistry and synergy though - now that's what I call a team.

Thing is, this whole situation is generally very new to Falcom. Until a couple years ago, their games were only being translated after a huge delay, if at all. Now, they pushed for a swift work on CS1&2, and are apparently becoming aware of Steam's importance. It's hard to say their position is set on stone in these changing times.

My copy of CS2 should be coming in today speaking of which, maybe i'll invade the FE4 thread finally :P: 

Excellent.

Edited by TheEnd

On 2/7/2017 at 4:13 AM, BakanGin said:

Ive played CS 2 and i enjoyed it a lot, although every boss after a point became way more hard.

I'm currently now in Act 2-4 of CS2 and I haven't found a super challenging boss besides a few of the early ones. Although random S-Crafts from some later ones have been a pain.

Some optional bosses can be tricky depending on when you fight them, but yes, there isn't a whole lot of challenge if you're playing normal.

I'm expecting a rant in the FE4 Thread when you finish

• 1 month later...

Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 are now getting PC releases, so maybe those of you who liked this review can try it out when they launch.

Completed the game. Since I'm awful in writing reviews I mention my impressions shortly:

• The character cast is great. I like each playble character in this game.
  • The soundtrack is fantastic and probably my favorite soundtrack of all videogames I've played yet. So many memorable themes.
  • I love the battle system. It's not a static round based RPG since some melee units like Rean still have to move. Also the variety of attack, arte and craft fulfills their purpose. Also like the combo attacks and links during the battles. Furthermore I like the bonus system in form of exp. boosts for doing battles well (without taking damage, multiple kills by one attack...)
  • Social link system is nice and I liked very most conversations.
  • I wished there was no chronological order how to do all the sidequests. Optional quests have to be done first, because if you end a story related quest the story will continue automatically. I sometimes made the mistake that I did story quests first so I missed completing some optional ones.
  • Also wished that text would scroll automatically. It slowed down the game a little bit.
  • Tbf the dungeons weren't too challenging with tough puzzles. Most of them were very simple. However the final dungeon had nice gimmicks.
  • Fishing the Salmon was the worst and hardest thing in the game. ;)

All in all I absolutely enjoyed this game and I can only recommend it to all people who are at least semi-interested in round based RPGs and have interest in day organisation (a bit similar to Persona).

14 hours ago, Magillanica Lou Mayvin said:

Completed the game. Since I'm awful in writing reviews I mention my impressions shortly:

• The character cast is great. I like each playble character in this game.
  • The soundtrack is fantastic and probably my favorite soundtrack of all videogames I've played yet. So many memorable themes.
  • I love the battle system. It's not a static round based RPG since some melee units like Rean still have to move. Also the variety of attack, arte and craft fulfills their purpose. Also like the combo attacks and links during the battles. Furthermore I like the bonus system in form of exp. boosts for doing battles well (without taking damage, multiple kills by one attack...)
  • Social link system is nice and I liked very most conversations.
  • I wished there was no chronological order how to do all the sidequests. Optional quests have to be done first, because if you end a story related quest the story will continue automatically. I sometimes made the mistake that I did story quests first so I missed completing some optional ones.
  • Also wished that text would scroll automatically. It slowed down the game a little bit.
  • Tbf the dungeons weren't too challenging with tough puzzles. Most of them were very simple. However the final dungeon had nice gimmicks.
  • Fishing the Salmon was the worst and hardest thing in the game. ;)

All in all I absolutely enjoyed this game and I can only recommend it to all people who are at least semi-interested in round based RPGs and have interest in day organisation (a bit similar to Persona).

You'll love 2, it improves on mostly everything that worked.

On 4/8/2017 at 11:05 AM, Jedi said:

You'll love 2, it improves on mostly everything that worked.

Spoiler

Except the fishing.  It's worse.  Like, it'll give you nightmares.  Please, run for your life!

The one thing that the series went backwards on is combat accuracy.  Without Hit quartz, it's akin to Fates' hit rate system.

• 2 months later...