A word of advice regarding Gacha games

Eail

Considering I've already sold my soul to the devil by playing Gacha games such as Dokkan Battle and Fate Grand Order, let me give a word of advice to all you newcomers to this sort of thing.  If you're wanting to have an easy time with things and be able to clear content as it rolls out, I'd suggest rerolling at the start of the game to grab a natural 5* unit to carry you.  With most games like this they typically give you a few surplus rolls at the start after the tutorial is over, and that's the best time to reroll until you get what you want off the bat.

Doing this, you can confirm you'll have at least one unit you can always rely on without having to inject so much material, dupes, and grinding into for them to be good, they'll be the basis of your team as time goes on and make it so you've got a solid core.  After that, farm those story orbs and start hoarding, release characters are never great in gacha games, because why would they be?  If you compare the top tier unit in Dokkan from a year and a half ago, Super Saiyan Bardock, and compare him to the new Super Saiyan 4 Goku, the cards are so far apart in strength it's appalling.

Don't spend your orbs the moment you get them on singles, multis are always better and in most games have some sort of certainty on the roll you'll be getting, along with discounts in Heroes.

If anyone cares, or has questions about general Gacha style games, I'll be happy to answer them.

Usually it involves uninstalling or otherwise deleting the app and all associated data and then reinstalling? I've never tried, so I'll defer to anyone with first-hand knowledge on the subject. Further, it's possible the specifics vary game by game.

7 minutes ago, Cerise said:

Ah, thanks for the advice! Does this mean that I should spend all of my orbs on the gacha at the beginning, or should I save some?

It depends on the amount of time it takes to earn orbs and the time it takes to reset your account, but unless you get like 10+ stones for something really early in the beginning it's probably best to do it as soon as you get 5 orbs.

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

What do you mean by "reroll?" I think I know, but it's not very clear.

Basically, you start the game and most gacha games give you a free roll to show you how the summoning mechanic works early in the story. If it's not a fixed roll, you can roll and if the unit is not to your liking, reset your account and try it again. if it is a fixed roll, you play the beginning until you have enough stones to do a roll. 

Edited by Birdy

11 minutes ago, Cerise said:

Ah, thanks for the advice! Does this mean that I should spend all of my orbs on the gacha at the beginning, or should I save some?

I'd argue yes, farm up enough to do a multi summon and see if you're able to pull a 5* unit.  Considering this is the launch of the game I'm willing to bet they might give us enough orbs to where we can do a multi early on, or it's easy enough to farm orbs for a fast multi after starting.

Though if you're fine not having a 5* unit to start with, just roll as you like

10 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

How exactly do you reroll assuming the option is available?

Delete the game and reinstall it is how it's done in most games, though there are some that offer a data wipe option.

8 minutes ago, Florete said:

What do you mean by "reroll?" I think I know, but it's not very clear.

It involves starting the game over again until you find a unit that you like from your first summon.  If you're playing a Gacha game and your party is filled with nothing but three stars, it's going to be a lot harder than having one five star and several three stars.  They're important for their abilities and whatnot

Edited by Eail

if i knew about the reroll thing for dokkan battle. i would of done that till i got a chi chi that could dokkan awaken, and now its almost impossible to get one for myself XD.

regardless depending on who i get i may consider a reroll.

I'd like to mention two things:

1) Some games have settings that make your tutorial roll (if they have them) a set rarity (Puzzles & Dragons does this, iirc)

2) Some games actually prevent such resets by linking your account with your phone number or SIM card, and checks every time you install. This, imo, is very likely to happen, as Nintendo generally likes to plug loopholes, and they can do stuff like linking Heroes to your Nintendo account. If they do so, I suppose you could make dummy Nintendo accounts if you really want to, but that could mean you lose out on benefits to/from your main Nintendo account.

. . .or you can try not to min/max early on, and just figure things out as you go.  I'm 2 for 2 in terms of going in blind and doing fine.  I doubt Nintendo's going to be any more punishing than Square.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

. . .or you can try not to min/max early on, and just figure things out as you go.  I'm 2 for 2 in terms of going in blind and doing fine.  I doubt Nintendo's going to be any more punishing than Square.

I mean you can feel free to do what you want but with these sorts of games a pretty strict meta tends to come together pretty quickly.  You either become a whale who pays to win, a free to play guy that struggles with events, or somewhere sort of in the middle because you rerolled until you were satisfied.

Personally I plan on being a hard minmaxer focusing on clearing content, so hey, this is my strategy for the 'mo

3 minutes ago, Eail said:

I mean you can feel free to do what you want but with these sorts of games a pretty strict meta tends to come together pretty quickly.  You either become a whale who pays to win, a free to play guy that struggles with events, or somewhere sort of in the middle because you rerolled until you were satisfied.

Personally I plan on being a hard minmaxer focusing on clearing content, so hey, this is my strategy for the 'mo

. . .what the hell?  I run a F2P account on KHUx, and I can count the number of events I've struggled with on one hand.  The (mostly) F2P account on Mobius is in a similar position (but then again, the solution to everything in Mobius is to throw skillseeds at the problem).  Unless you're looking to top everything, it shouldn't be necessary to reroll for the absolute best thing.  More work?  Yes.  But I think taking the time to learn how the system works, and the character's limitations, are far more valuable than a short head start.

If possible, my "first" roll is going to be five characters.  I don't care if I wind up with five characters I despise, I'll make it work.

Just now, eclipse said:

. . .what the hell?  I run a F2P account on KHUx, and I can count the number of events I've struggled with on one hand.  The (mostly) F2P account on Mobius is in a similar position (but then again, the solution to everything in Mobius is to throw skillseeds at the problem).  Unless you're looking to top everything, it shouldn't be necessary to reroll for the absolute best thing.  More work?  Yes.  But I think taking the time to learn how the system works, and the character's limitations, are far more valuable than a short head start.

If possible, my "first" roll is going to be five characters.  I don't care if I wind up with five characters I despise, I'll make it work.

I main play Dokkan battle, that's the type of game where if you aren't constantly saving for the top tier units and whatnot, you won't win.  You NEED to have Super Saiyan Vegito or Omega Shenron, etc. to clear events these days because the game has been around for so long that the power creep keeps going higher and higher.  That's going to be my style here as well, get a good unit at the start, and then focus on saving from here on out.

Difficulty really varies between different games. I have a friend in Granblue fantasy who basically had no SSR characters aside from free ones(which came a good while into his playing), and through effort and time still didn't "fall off" until heavy lategame, and even then he's still not hit his ceiling. Heroes could potentially be horrible to clear without 5 stars, but I don't think it should be an issue for a while.

1 minute ago, Ether said:

Difficulty really varies between different games. I have a friend in Granblue fantasy who basically had no SSR characters aside from free ones(which came a good while into his playing), and through effort and time still didn't "fall off" until heavy lategame, and even then he's still not hit his ceiling. Heroes could potentially be horrible to clear without 5 stars, but I don't think it should be an issue for a while.

I choose to er on the side of caution in this case, seems like the game is going to not be too difficult, but with the raid events centering around the old Villains and whatnot, better safe than sorry in my mind.  Especially since if you beat those events, it seems as though you get the villain cards.

I feel it /really/ depends on the game, and how it handles its gameplay and its event, as well as how the events are graded. In Starlight Stage I could consistently hit T2 in many events from basically the day I began to play, because persistence and avoiding wasted stamina accounted for the lion's share of how event points were handed out. Yes, being able to S rank master songs would have required an SSR or a full team of SRs, but that extra edge only mattered for the fiercest tier, and T2 rewards were plenty generous on their own. (That is, at least in the event points category. For the trophy category, which is essentially just bragging points and an item to showcase in your room, you definitely not only would need to whale for full SSR teams, fully trained with maximum skill levels, but you would need to be able to Full Combo the event song on its hardest difficulty. Which is... yeah, not gonna happen, and far from beginner friendly.)

I might be overly optimistic, but being birthed from the strategy rpg genre, I want to believe that proper use of positioning and tactical advantages can help to offset somewhat weaker team composition. Obviously, a lot of this is pure speculation and it remains to be fully seen how things will play out.

While I am considering doing rerolls for FE Heroes, it's mostly /not/ for gameplay related reasons, and more for trying to get a favored character.

Edited by Balcerzak

Yeah, going in cautiously is fair enough, and if there's specific characters you want, or want to guarantee one 5 star before drowning in bad gacha luck, rerolling is a good call(provided the method to do so isn't a massive asspull), but I doubt it will be strictly necessary to progress, especially if you're willing to spend every now and again. Getting your waifu from the start if you're F2P is always a solid option though.

I'm with Eclipse on this one, for several reasons:

1. The time spend rerolling, while instead I could be playing the game I'm hyped about, is not worth it for me.
2. Even if I don't get a 5 star, thanks to the mechanic that ups the chance of getting higher chance unit after each pull of not getting one, atleast you get something for your troubles.
3. In most games, characters can only promote once. In this game, even a one star can end up to become a five star if you're dedicated enough and get the materials.
4. We don't know if rerolling will even work in this game.

Think of it as hard/lunatic if you doesn't get a starter SSR :D

Beside, it's not like 3 star is automatically bad. I've bench most of my SR/SSR in favour of 3 star servant in FGO. The only one i actually use is Waver because he is Waver XD

Personally, having played other mobile games, this is my advice: If you don't see a character you want, horde your Orbs like your saving them for the end of the world. Once you see them, use as much as you wish. Repeat. Also, if your buying orbs, please whale responsibly.

4 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I'd like to mention two things:

1) Some games have settings that make your tutorial roll (if they have them) a set rarity (Puzzles & Dragons does this, iirc)

2) Some games actually prevent such resets by linking your account with your phone number or SIM card, and checks every time you install. This, imo, is very likely to happen, as Nintendo generally likes to plug loopholes, and they can do stuff like linking Heroes to your Nintendo account. If they do so, I suppose you could make dummy Nintendo accounts if you really want to, but that could mean you lose out on benefits to/from your main Nintendo account.

Ah, you were right about the Nintendo account linking. But it may be possible to link your account after the prologue, since the mission on My Nintendo says, "While in the game, select Misc. and then Account Management. Then enter your sign-in details to link your account." Which presumably means that you can link the account later and still reap the benefits.

But yeah, we still don't know if rerolling is going to work at all, or if it'll be worth it.

35 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

For those who have gotten the game already, are we able to reroll for higher-grade units or are we given set starter units (set stats, levels, rarity, ...)?

You can reroll. The game gives out 15 orbs when you start and 2 as a release celebration. You can get a full set of discounted pulls after doing first 3 chapters (easily done with the free units you get).

Just don't link your my nintendo account before you're done rerolling.