"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

7 minutes ago, Allergic_to_Farming said:

For someone who doesn't care too much about making one super optimal team; Would it be alright to avoid using 5-stars for skill fodder?

I know it's not the most optimal way, but i prefer to have a large pool of characters that are all functional, which won't be happening any time soon if i keep trying to down all my feathers promoting fodder to 5-star just for one skill. But i want to make sure i can still deal with lunatic difficulty missions and all the new modes introduced.

I haven't used a single 5* unit as skill fodder yet, and I can clear every game mode with my team, so yes (haven't cleared all chain challenges yet, but those should be doable if I can clear TT).

There's only a few skills that are 5* locked anyway, and there's plenty of units that start with a good weapon. It limits your options a bit, but it's perfectly doable.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Allergic_to_Farming said:

For someone who doesn't care too much about making one super optimal team; Would it be alright to avoid using 5-stars for skill fodder?

I know it's not the most optimal way, but i prefer to have a large pool of characters that are all functional, which won't be happening any time soon if i keep trying to down all my feathers promoting fodder to 5-star just for one skill... I want to make sure i can still deal with lunatic difficulty missions and all the new modes introduced, though.

Oops, triple posted...

I have yet to use a single 5* for SI. I just can't bear the thought of all that feather investment/rare pull going towards a skill. I much rather keep the unit and merge them if I already have a copy. But many units don't need 5* skills so you can build them optimally without them. I've completed every game mode without too much issue so far. 

5 minutes ago, Allergic_to_Farming said:

I know it's not the most optimal way, but i prefer to have a large pool of characters that are all functional, which won't be happening any time soon if i keep trying to down all my feathers promoting fodder to 5-star just for one skill. But i want to make sure i can still deal with lunatic difficulty missions and all the new modes introduced.

The following skills are locked at 5* that I find fun or useful. If it is bolded, it is a skill in high demand or essential for certain teams in my opinion.

Weapon+
Galeforce, Aether
Rally Atk/Spd
Life and Death 3, Swift Sparrow 2, Distant Counter, Close Counter
Dazzling Staff 3, Wrathful Staff 3, Live for Bounty
Hone Flier, Drive Defense 2, Panic Ploy 3, Valor 3

L&D3 is the most important out of them all, since glass cannons should be the core of anyone's team. However, Fury 3 is a very affordable alternative that almost anyone can afford. DC is less important since Camus and Xander are free, and Nowi and A!Tiki are relatively easily obtainable. Hone Flier is only essential in flier teams.

— — — — — — —

The following skills can all be maxed easily using 4* units, and there is no reason to promote anyone to 5* just to get these.

All Specials besides GF and Aether
Ardent Sacrifice, Reciprocal Aid, Positioning Assists, Rally Stat, Rally Def/Res,
Death Blow, Fury, TA
Breaker, Desperation, Poison Strike, Renewal
Breath of Life, Savage Blow, Hone/Fortify Stat, Hone/Fortify Cavalry, Fortify Flier, Goad/Ward Armor

For Breakers, the only exceptions are BTBreaker and Lbreaker. Both can be obtained from 4* GHB units, but they are limited. Lbreaker 2 can be obtained from Arthur 4*.

35 minutes ago, Sleypnyr said:

I have a +HP\-Spd Bridal Cordelia, that I was wondering is worth setting up was. Was going to level up Gordin to give her Brave Bow+ or because i don't have a +Spd nature, is that waste?

She is basically neutral speed Jeorge who can hit harder. Giving her [B Bow, Luna, L&D, Sbreaker] gives her 122 wins, 1 loss, and 23 draws. 122 wins is still pretty good, about the same as Blade mages with a basic Eirika buff. Blade mages with max Eirika buffs are in the range of 130 wins.

22 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Can anyone tell me why Lucina is more practical than Marth? I just compare their stats & Marth's looks more valid than her.

Marth is in an awkward spot where he has a lot of points in defensive stats, but not enough to actually be a defensive unit.  He is sill susceptible to mages, and not overly tanky to physical units.  Additionally, many attackers will outspeed him.  Lucina is more specialized with her 3 extra attack and 2 extra speed.  It may not sound like a lot, but 2 speed can make a huge difference and the 3 attack is actually more like 6 attack if you are doubling someone.  Otherwise, both can usually survive one hit but neither have enough to survive 2 hits most of the time.  

Also, a +spd Lucina has 39 speed which will double ~4/5ths of the units (edit: I was just using the scrollbar as an indicator, it's much more than 4/5ths).  A +spd marth has 37 speed which is which will double only around (edit: slightly over) half the units.

You can see on Gamepress (or whever you're looking at ratings), Marth is rated as a supporter much higher than Lucina.  He just isn't as good at attacking.

I don't really think Lucina is as good as everyone thinks, but she's way better than Marth imo.  Lloyd and Marth are worse than Lucina, but both really good.

I prefer Lloyd because he has one more speed than Marth, I don't have to worry about natures, he's easy to +1 which gives him as much speed as Lucina, and he can kill all green mages while also beating most red mages.  His weapon is very good with vantage 3 against green mages.  But Lucinas better overall if you get good/decent nature and you ignore merges, though she probably falls into a different role than Lloyd/Marth.

Edited by Lushen

(The following has been copy-pasted from the "The 'Who should I promote?' thread" thread, being asked here for sake of being seen by more eyes.)

Well I'm coming up to 20k feathers again, and I need help.

• Cordelia (+Att -Res)
  • Legion (Neutral)
  • Xander (Neutral)
  • Camus (Neutral)
  • Odin/Shanna (who cares what their stats are, I just want Blarblade+, Moonbow, and Desperation 3 for Bridal Caeda (+Spd -Hp)
  • Sharena (Neutral)
Spoiler

For an idea of what my situation is, I right now have limited SI resources (no Death Blow 3, all Hinata's are 3*, only 2 Shanna) and currently can't afford to do another massive summoning, so no matter what I have to make do with what I'm given for another 2 months, including any trash that free summonings give me.

Legion and Cordelia seem the best options, as their default kits are exceptionally appealing (Cordelia's TA3 will reck Reds, and who cares if she can't hit greens for much, why would I even let her near Greens in the first place) (Legion's Fury 3 makes up for most shortcomings, Legion's Axe counters buffed up teams regardless of if he can one round them or not, generally a pretty nifty axe user) and won't require as much SI as others, at least until I get more SI fodder. BTW, I currently have no fliers and no trained Lance users, and my only Axe units are Hector, who is Hector, and Frederick, who also needs Death Blow 3 despite preforming quite well regardless, which is to say I don't have any "normal" axe users.

Since I don't have the materials to make a "good" Horse Emblem team, Xander and Camus will just have to make do with what my poor bum can give them.

Odin and Shanna will just have to live with being fodder for Bridal Caeda, who I think would be a very good Blarblade+ user given her great speed and decent power, but I already use Nino a LOT (as in, her Hero Merit is almost maxed out at 1800 despite being here for a shorter time than Nowi and Priscilla, both of whom are completely maxed), and the build I'd give her would basically be blue Nino in a fetish outfit.

Sharena I have a few decent SI options for her, but my problem is largely that I'm not sure she is the best option for 5* when I have limited resources and want to make a strong unit. On one hand I'd finally be able to do some of the missions that call for one of the Askr units to be used in some way, but on the other I could be using, say, Cordelia.

If it matters, I do like both Cordelia and Sharena as characters, everyone else I'm not sure I like or dislike. Xander I don't like all that much, at least in Heroes, he's cool in Fates tho.

32 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

(The following has been copy-pasted from the "The 'Who should I promote?' thread" thread, being asked here for sake of being seen by more eyes.)

Well I'm coming up to 20k feathers again, and I need help.

• Cordelia (+Att -Res)
  • Legion (Neutral)
  • Xander (Neutral)
  • Camus (Neutral)
  • Odin/Shanna (who cares what their stats are, I just want Blarblade+, Moonbow, and Desperation 3 for Bridal Caeda (+Spd -Hp)
  • Sharena (Neutral)
  Reveal hidden contents

For an idea of what my situation is, I right now have limited SI resources (no Death Blow 3, all Hinata's are 3*, only 2 Shanna) and currently can't afford to do another massive summoning, so no matter what I have to make do with what I'm given for another 2 months, including any trash that free summonings give me.

Legion and Cordelia seem the best options, as their default kits are exceptionally appealing (Cordelia's TA3 will reck Reds, and who cares if she can't hit greens for much, why would I even let her near Greens in the first place) (Legion's Fury 3 makes up for most shortcomings, Legion's Axe counters buffed up teams regardless of if he can one round them or not, generally a pretty nifty axe user) and won't require as much SI as others, at least until I get more SI fodder. BTW, I currently have no fliers and no trained Lance users, and my only Axe units are Hector, who is Hector, and Frederick, who also needs Death Blow 3 despite preforming quite well regardless, which is to say I don't have any "normal" axe users.

Since I don't have the materials to make a "good" Horse Emblem team, Xander and Camus will just have to make do with what my poor bum can give them.

Odin and Shanna will just have to live with being fodder for Bridal Caeda, who I think would be a very good Blarblade+ user given her great speed and decent power, but I already use Nino a LOT (as in, her Hero Merit is almost maxed out at 1800 despite being here for a shorter time than Nowi and Priscilla, both of whom are completely maxed), and the build I'd give her would basically be blue Nino in a fetish outfit.

Sharena I have a few decent SI options for her, but my problem is largely that I'm not sure she is the best option for 5* when I have limited resources and want to make a strong unit. On one hand I'd finally be able to do some of the missions that call for one of the Askr units to be used in some way, but on the other I could be using, say, Cordelia.

If it matters, I do like both Cordelia and Sharena as characters, everyone else I'm not sure I like or dislike. Xander I don't like all that much, at least in Heroes, he's cool in Fates tho.

If you already have a blue mage, Caeda should not be a priority. If you do not have a blue mage, then I recommend prioritizing completing her as soon as possible. I generally prioritize ranged glass cannons first, then DC melee units, then melee glass cannons.

If you already have Ryoma or Ike, I would delay Xander. I would not build Camus since you already have Caeda, and you might not want to devote your resources to a pony team until you have all the ingredients ready.

If you do not need a blue mage or DC melee units, then I would work on Cordelia and Legion. I would prioritize Cordelia over Legion since she is flying, but if you need a green unit, then Legion should be prioritized.

1 hour ago, Lushen said:

Marth is in an awkward spot where he has a lot of points in defensive stats, but not enough to actually be a defensive unit.  He is sill susceptible to mages, and not overly tanky to physical units.  Additionally, many attackers will outspeed him.  Lucina is more specialized with her 3 extra attack and 2 extra speed.  It may not sound like a lot, but 2 speed can make a huge difference and the 3 attack is actually more like 6 attack if you are doubling someone.  Otherwise, both can usually survive one hit but neither have enough to survive 2 hits most of the time.  

Also, a +spd Lucina has 39 speed which will double ~4/5ths of the units (edit: I was just using the scrollbar as an indicator, it's much more than 4/5ths).  A +spd marth has 37 speed which is which will double only around (edit: slightly over) half the units.

You can see on Gamepress (or whever you're looking at ratings), Marth is rated as a supporter much higher than Lucina.  He just isn't as good at attacking.

I don't really think Lucina is as good as everyone thinks, but she's way better than Marth imo.  Lloyd and Marth are worse than Lucina, but both really good.

I prefer Lloyd because he has one more speed than Marth, I don't have to worry about natures, he's easy to +1 which gives him as much speed as Lucina, and he can kill all green mages while also beating most red mages.  His weapon is very good with vantage 3 against green mages.  But Lucinas better overall if you get good/decent nature and you ignore merges, though she probably falls into a different role than Lloyd/Marth.

I should have factor speed in but I figure any opposing unit that have remotely good speed would just cancel out unless they're boon was actually speed & even then it seem the only way either sides that could get double would to have L&D or Fury. Then again it's not like I can actually test this out since I don't have a 5* Marth so I'll just take your word on this.

In your opinion who's do you think is best boon speed sword unit that isn't Ryoma?

44 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

In your opinion who's do you think is best boon speed sword unit that isn't Ryoma?

Does Eirika count? She can buff a single unit with all 4 stats in one go thanks to Sieglinde, and the Speed boon means she can't be outsped as long as she also has Fury 3 or LnD3, but the again she wouldn't otherwise be meant for combat...

59 minutes ago, XRay said:

If you already have a blue mage, Caeda should not be a priority. If you do not have a blue mage, then I recommend prioritizing completing her as soon as possible. I generally prioritize ranged glass cannons first, then DC melee units, then melee glass cannons.

If you already have Ryoma or Ike, I would delay Xander. I would not build Camus since you already have Caeda, and you might not want to devote your resources to a pony team until you have all the ingredients ready.

If you do not need a blue mage or DC melee units, then I would work on Cordelia and Legion. I would prioritize Cordelia over Legion since she is flying, but if you need a green unit, then Legion should be prioritized.

The only other Blue Mages I have are Spring Lucina, who does not have a good nature (+Def -Spd I think), therefore I do not use her. The other, Mae, has some nature I don't like (+Res -HP or something like that?), and I generally forget I have her.

What I'm getting is that Caeda would be highest priority based on your recommendation. I do have a TA3 QR3 Nowi though, which is about the only thing holding me back now that I'm thinking hard about it, but otherwise your advise is sound.

I would like to ask though, what about Sharena? Does she just fall to the side in comparison to Cordelia?

Edited by Xenomata

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

The only other Blue Mages I have are Spring Lucina, who does not have a good nature (+Def -Spd I think), therefore I do not use her. The other, Mae, has some nature I don't like (+Res -HP or something like that?), and I generally forget I have her.

What I'm getting is that Caeda would be highest priority based on your recommendation. I do have a TA3 QR3 Nowi though, which is about the only thing holding me back now that I'm thinking hard about it, but otherwise your advise is sound.

I would like to ask though, what about Sharena? Does she just fall to the side in comparison to Cordelia?

Caeda should be your priority then. Blade tomes makes the game easier, so there is no reason not to abuse them. If you feel that you do not need a Blárblade mage as your main blue unit, Nowi works very well as your main blue unit.

I only use the Askr Trio on my Defense team. Shareena is not bad, but Cordelia has a better stat spread, so yeah, she just kind of falls to the side. You still might want to train her up eventually though since one of the Askr Trio will always be a bonus unit.

Edited by XRay

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Does Eirika count? She can buff a single unit with all 4 stats in one go thanks to Sieglinde, and the Speed boon means she can't be outsped as long as she also has Fury 3 or LnD3, but the again she wouldn't otherwise be meant for combat...

Well I mean it's not incorrect, so yeah legit answer.

After I get my Cecilia to 5*, which may be soon if TT gives me some feathers, I'm thiking of working on a Blade Ursula.

The only thing holding me back is that I already have Olwen built (Dire Thunder, L&D, Desperation) and could easily giver her the Blade (when I get the feathers to promote Odin, of course) and she would be set to use either way I wanted, or even keeping her on Blade build, since I also have Reinhardt. But modes like TT, Squad Assault and Chain Challenge make you want to have lots of units that fill similar roles. Going with Ursula would cost me 40k Feathers (20k for Odin, 20k for Ursula) and for Olwen it would be only the 20k for Odin.

Am I right to go ahead on the Blade Ursula plan or should I just stick the Blarblade on Olwen and call it a day? 

After I get my Cecilia to 5*, which may be soon if TT gives me some feathers, I'm thiking of working on a Blade Ursula.

The only thing holding me back is that I already have Olwen built (Dire Thunder, L&D, Desperation) and could easily giver her the Blade (when I get the feathers to promote Odin, of course) and she would be set to use either way I wanted, or even keeping her on Blade build, since I also have Reinhardt. But modes like TT, Squad Assault and Chain Challenge make you want to have lots of units that fill similar roles. Going with Ursula would cost me 40k Feathers (20k for Odin, 20k for Ursula) and for Olwen it would be only the 20k for Odin.

Am I right to go ahead on the Blade Ursula plan or should I just stick the Blarblade on Olwen and call it a day? 

+spd/-atk or +atk/-spd Summer Fredrick?  The -spd is very bad because he needs to be able to tank and while the +spd is really good and attack isn't that important, I worry how much damage a -atk Summer Fredrick can do, if any.

So I just pulled a 4* Mae which helps since she's the only 40% bonus unit I have. Is +hp -res an awful nature for her?  Is there anything I can put on her to help in this temptest? 

10 minutes ago, Anime27Arts said:

So I just pulled a 4* Mae which helps since she's the only 40% bonus unit I have. Is +hp -res an awful nature for her?  Is there anything I can put on her to help in this temptest? 

Basically Neutral.  She has a really low res so the +hp doesn't change the fact that she will die to physical units.  -res wont matter too much since it's still high anyways. 

Desperation can be good if you have a way to up her speed.  Otherwise vantage or a breaker/QR.  Anything that boosts atk/spd can be useful in A slot such as Fury.

2 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Basically Neutral.  She has a really low res so the +hp doesn't change the fact that she will die to physical units.  -res wont matter too much since it's still high anyways. 

Desperation can be good if you have a way to up her speed.  Otherwise vantage or a breaker/QR.  Anything that boosts atk/spd can be useful in A slot such as Fury.

Did you mean defense in the first one?

2 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Yep... sorry xD

Thats alright. For your Frederick issue, I'd keep the +speed -attack one.  From my experience,  speed tends to be more important from doubling foes to avoiding being trampled 

23 minutes ago, Anime27Arts said:

She's probably going to want at least one of R Tomebreaker or Triangle Adept to actually beat Celica if you don't have someone else to take care of her.

How good is a -HP +Res Ephraim for PvE? What should I give him to make him a decent unit? I usually run Swordbreaker because his speed is awful and a lot of well-rounded sword units can crush him otherwise usually.

3 minutes ago, Altina said:

How good is a -HP +Res Ephraim for PvE? What should I give him to make him a decent unit? I usually run Swordbreaker because his speed is awful and a lot of well-rounded sword units can crush him otherwise usually.

Haha...that's the same as my Ephraim. I heard good things about Lancebreaker/Quick Riposte +Tri adept. Sadly I don't have the components for that. He works well with Moonbow +Quickened pulse as it allows him to ORKO any sword unit that comes to attack him. So he's great bait. Though I mainly use him as a buffbot/ reposition for my Nino.