So, any idea what the "???" battle mode could be?

Anacybele

I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed one battle mode has been darkened and marked with "???" right? What do you guys think it could be? I wonder if it's a multiplayer mode where we can battle another player. I mean the actual player, not simply a player's team controlled by the AI like in the arena.

Has there been any info on what this mode is?

I don't believe I've heard any news about it.

What if it's a Survival mode kinda thing? You have to keep fighting with minimal (or no) healing between each level until you lose all four of your units, and get rewards based on how far you got or something. Could have a ranking system too.

41 minutes ago, Fly_or_Die said:

I secretly hope it's where we can find battle maps larger than 6x8 and use >4 units.

Hey, a guy can dream, right?

I would love this.

I actually don't really want to PvP that much.  It would probably be like Pokemon where you have to enter your moves in a set amount of time or forfeit the match.  I've got two small children, and turn based games that I can set down for minutes at a time are pretty much the only games I can play right now.  I've had to more or less give up WoW because of this.  This, plus I don't really like competitive games all that much.

One thing I would like would be Co-op maps.  Maybe join with another player's units to tackle a big map like mentioned above.  They could easily double the map size and still keep it visually pleasing.  It's bigger than the GBA screen was.

PvP makes no sense. There's no reason in fire emblem to approach. 

The only reason player really wins in fire emblem is because they can bait the opponent (ie: get Takumi move so he attacks you, then finish him off)

But in a player's hands that would never happen. They'd sit around waiting for you to attack them, and you'd sit around waiting for them to attack you. 

This might not mean much, considering that some of the files have names that don't fully match up (Training Tower is referred to as "Symbol_EncountMap"), but the image files for that mode are labeled as "Symbol_Voting".

So my guess is that it's some sort of option where you're given a number of options to vote for, and you gain rewards or something for doing so.

1 hour ago, Ralphophoulous said:

PvP makes no sense. There's no reason in fire emblem to approach. 

The only reason player really wins in fire emblem is because they can bait the opponent (ie: get Takumi move so he attacks you, then finish him off)

But in a player's hands that would never happen. They'd sit around waiting for you to attack them, and you'd sit around waiting for them to attack you. 

I could this working in Fire Emblem IF the win condition is not route. Either capturing/defending an objective or an escape map and a time limit would cause movement. The maps also need multiple paths to the objective in order to split the defense and probably more units to command. So I'm not very optimistic to see it in this game, but maybe one more akin to Genealogy of the Holy War (a match could probably take an afternoon). 

The arena has shown how imbalanced teams are between players so I can't even image an online Free-to-Play vs. Whale battle going down well. 

1 hour ago, Felicia said:

This might not mean much, considering that some of the files have names that don't fully match up (Training Tower is referred to as "Symbol_EncountMap"), but the image files for that mode are labeled as "Symbol_Voting".

So my guess is that it's some sort of option where you're given a number of options to vote for, and you gain rewards or something for doing so.

Wonder if it might be something to do with the Choose Your Legends vote.

1 hour ago, Felicia said:

Maybe it could be something akin to Splatoon's Splatfest? Players choose a side to support, and by winning battles, they earn points for their team?

It's for "Voting Gauntlets". No idea what that is though.

You need items called "Battle Flags" to participate.

Or at least in 1.02.

I'm guessing maybe you pick sides or something? So like Splatfest as somebody mentioned.

You can get a log-in bonus for participating too, presumably if your side wins.