Lyn Analysis

Lyn

Attributes:

Type Unit: Infantry

Color and Weapon type: Red, Sword

Weapon: Sol Katti Mt - 16 Rng -1

Effects: If wielder initiates attack at HP =< 50% any follow-up occurs immediately

Skills:

Skill A: Defiant Atk 3

-Grants Atk +7  at start of turn if unit's HP =< 50%

Skill B: Empty

Skill C: Spur Spd 3

-Grants adjacent allies Spd +4 during combat

Special Trigger:

Night Sky: Grants +50% damage dealt

Astra: Grants 150% damage dealt

Galeforce: If this unit initiates an attack it can take another action after combat

Stats: (Lvl 40)

HP - low = 34 medium = 37 high = 41

ATK - low = 40 medium = 44 high = 47

SPD - low = 34 medium = 37 high = 40

DEF - low = 23 medium = 26 high = 30

RES - low 26 medium = 29 high = 32

Role:

Unit Role: Sweeper, Support, Bruiser

Strengths:

-High attack allows her to deal hefty damage to enemy units and sometimes kill them

-Very effective against Green mages, Red mages, Axe infantry, Axe Cavalier

-Does decent with Sword infantry, Blue mages

-Her stats synergies well with having high speed and high attack resulting in attacking twice while dealing high damage

Disadvantages:

-Weak to counter attacks due to unit having sub par Def and Res

-Ineffective against armored units in general due to denying high damage from Lyn, lance users

-Due to her weakness her survivability being sub par

-"Glass cannon"

My experiences:

Personally I think Lyn does well with many units, she just struggles with the blues and tanks. I personally think if u are looking for a good IV for Lyn, you should focus on getting high attack IV or high Spd to aid her damage. Low HP is not too bad due to her survivability is sub par anyways. Personally I think she is a A tier unit. I can see her as a S tier unit due to having good stats.

Author's note:

Hello I've made my Lyn analysis based on mine and other people's experiences using this character. I would love to make more analysis on characters but that requires having experience and asking other people. Lyn was my first 5 star unit so I have plenty of experiences with her. I thought she was SS tier at first but then as I went on I started to realize her weaknesses. Tell me what characters I should make next please and feedback is appreciated.

Other analysis plans (Robin, Effie, Roy, Lilina, Camilla)

The ideal, most optimal Lyn would have +Atk, +Spd, -HP, and -Res. (Yes, I've heard that it's possible for a summoned unit to have 2 Boons and 2 Banes.)

I honestly favor -Res over -Def since assuming neutral IVs, Lyn has more Res than she has Def.

Lv. 40 of this Lyn with 10 merges:

38 HP

51 Atk

44 Spd

30 Def

30 Res

52 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

(Yes, I've heard that it's possible for a summoned unit to have 2 Boons and 2 Banes.)

Of the hundreds of Pulls, I've done, I haven't seen a single 2 Bane/2 Boon Unit.  Has anyone presented any evidence of them existing?

I suspect people see 2 boon, 2 bane because they see a unit with 1 boon/bane, think it's neutral, and then see another unit with a diff boon/bane. This would cause a +atk/-hp unit to look like a +atk, +def/-hp, -speed unit if they thought a +speed/-def unit was the base unit, for example.

The fact that the unit stats you can find online aren't 100% accurate doesn't help. (The more popular units tends to be right, but unpopular 3 stars are wrong pretty often.)

Edited by DehNutCase

6 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

The ideal, most optimal Lyn would have +Atk, +Spd, -HP, and -Res. (Yes, I've heard that it's possible for a summoned unit to have 2 Boons and 2 Banes.)

I honestly favor -Res over -Def since assuming neutral IVs, Lyn has more Res than she has Def.

I've had Lyn since release with +HP and -Res and unlike some of my other attackers I've basically never had a situation where I said, mmmm I wish I had 3 more attack.  The reason is primarily because high defense reds are relatively unpopular right now.  Though higher Attack may let you bruise blues in a pinch a bit better.

I suspect +Def -Res or +Spd -Res is the optimal roll on her for arena play.  +Spd is abusive on her due to her half damage special abilities but three speed alone only changes one or two normal red matchups (normal speed Eirika) so you need an extra speed buff to really make use of it.  +Def can extend your favorable match ups though allowing her to trudge through fights with other reds, and more safely deal with point blank greens (Hector, Minvera, Camilla).  Specifically +Def can allow you to kill a green and take down a red safely making for higher mileage in the arena IMO.

6 minutes ago, Katrisa said:

I've had Lyn since release with +HP and -Res and unlike some of my other attackers I've basically never had a situation where I said, mmmm I wish I had 3 more attack.

I wish my −Atk Lyn had 4 more attack.

From my experience in the arena, Lyns, Lucinas, Rynomas and all the red sword users are the reason why I put Effie over M!Robin in my arena attack team. Usually these are also the first unit I take out in an arean. Lyn especially is very weak against Effie. So I wouldn't suggest to put her in an arena defense team unless you have no better alternative.

Sadly, Lyn is not one of the eleven 5-Star characters I own, so I can't give you a feedback regarding her performance in an arena attack team.

2 minutes ago, Katrisa said:

That sucks =(  I will totally agree -Atk Lyn would be sad panda!

I actually got a duplicate Lyn way back, but was foolish to merge her into my higher-leveled one without checking her IVs first.

51 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I actually got a duplicate Lyn way back, but was foolish to merge her into my higher-leveled one without checking her IVs first.

I did the same with my Corrin... I've been kicking myself ever since because she's got weird IVs too.

I have a Balanced 40+1 Lyn and while she came through to win me some battles, most of the time I mainly use her as a support unit thanks to Spur spd to allow Lucina/Linde to get some double or prevent Nowi from getting doubled. She's very good offensively, but she tends to be overshadowed by my Lucina who is stronger and faster than her.

Admittedly, I'm pretty sure she'd be a terror if I switched Lucina for Eirika to buff her up, though that would leave my team vulnerable to other Nowis. I should try out a Lyn, Eirika, Camilla, Azura team once I get Eirika and Azura to level 40

4 hours ago, LuxSpes said:

Admittedly, I'm pretty sure she'd be a terror if I switched Lucina for Eirika to buff her up, though that would leave my team vulnerable to other Nowis. I should try out a Lyn, Eirika, Camilla, Azura team once I get Eirika and Azura to level 40

I concur Lux.  While I enjoy my Lyn, she's the first five star to be kicked out of my Arena party.  Eirkika and Lucina both fill her roll better.  The issue with Lyn is she functions best when she kills someone, hits half health, survives one turn, doubles someone else, and then galeforces for one more go (potentially killing three people back to back).  The problem is multiple greens just aren't popular in the current Arena defenses so its very rare to be able to pull something like this off with Lyn.  On the other hand she does win most red and green matchups because she's super good solo.  

Now come in a week when we can learn abilities.  If Lyn can learn vantage then all bets are off, she'll probably be an unholy terror.  She has the open B slot for the skill too!

1 minute ago, Katrisa said:

I concur Lux.  While I enjoy my Lyn, she's the first five star to be kicked out of my Arena party.  Eirkika and Lucina both fill her roll better.  The issue with Lyn is she functions best when she kills someone, hits half health, survives one turn, doubles someone else, and then galeforces for one more go (potentially killing three people back to back).  The problem is multiple greens just aren't popular in the current Arena defenses so its very rare to be able to pull something like this off with Lyn.  On the other hand she does win most red and green matchups because she's super good solo.  

Now come in a week when we can learn abilities.  If Lyn can learn vantage then all bets are off, she'll probably be an unholy terror.  She has the open B slot for the skill too!

I admit that due to Sol Katti's passive effect, she's the only unit with access to both Vantage and Desperation, which is a really good combination on a speedy character and she has access to Defiant Atk to make things even better. 

On 3/7/2017 at 8:24 PM, Roflolxp54 said:

Lv. 40 of this Lyn with 10 merges:

38 HP

51 Atk

44 Spd

30 Def

30 Res

it is not possible to have 2 boons and 2 banes its just a myth. just to clearify.

On 2017-03-07 at 7:16 PM, Trickster0725 said:

Strengths:

-High attack allows her to deal hefty damage to enemy units and sometimes kill them

-Very effective against Green mages, Red mages, Axe infantry, Axe Cavalier

-Does decent with Sword infantry, Blue mages

-Her stats synergies well with having high speed and high attack resulting in attacking twice while dealing high damage

Disadvantages:

-Weak to counter attacks due to unit having sub par Def and Res

A minor quibble which you might want to address if you're planning to collect/publish these anywhere:

Lyn's Res is not subpar at all; it's actually quite high for a physical unit, who only rarely go past 30. On the other hand, her attack actually isn't that high... 44 is fairly mid-range. Now, once Defiant Attack kicks in, that's another matter, and Sol Katti + her speed do give her good offence for sure.

Good work though otherwise!