New Echoes: SoV Trailer

1 minute ago, RedEyedDrake said:

..."Zophia"? Good grief, I still remember that one trailer messing up and having "Valencia" in its title. The subs from the very first trailer have already had the southern kingdom be called "Zofia". So I have all the grounds to believe that this trailer's title is another mistake. And if that is the case then come the cripes on. These people are supposed to represent an official product of theirs.

They couldn't even keep Alm's hair color consistent back in the original Gaiden.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, how in the world is Rudolf supposed to be an emperor? He only has one kingdom under his domain for the entire duration of the war. And Rigel was founded as a single kingdom to begin with.

And is the old man's voice supposed to be Mycen's or Nomah's?

1 hour ago, IMCasual said:

I don't know why they didn't stick to the 3D animation that Awakening and Fates used but finally new stuff.

I think just because of the shift in art style...but yeah, not sure why exactly.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Eh, possibly. It's a bit hard to tell. You're really afraid of them making him like Roy, aren't you? 

Honestly, the cutscenes look like they may be a mix of 2D and 3D very stylized to look like 2D-- certain shots have a lot of depth to them, and the "3D trying to be passed off as anime" does apparently tend to have a stiff look to it, with the intent of "hey this is totally hand-animated its still anime".

Anyways, we seem to be quickly approaching

Reveal hidden contents

Best_terrain_type.png

Nice to have something new.

Yeah, the animation used reminds me a lot of the animation used in that new Berserk anime (that's a rant for another time...) But I know and hope that the animation here will be much better done than the awful animation in that show. That anime always has the look of a video game cutscene, and...well, the animation here are video game cutscenes, so there you go.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

I'm pretty sure. I mean I've got no proof, but the camera was on Alm at that point, and it matches the whole argument between him and Celica: Alm takes care of the baddies and Celica looks for the reason why shit's going down in Valentia.

And hell yeah I'm afraid of that; Alm sticks out because he's vicious, I just hope they remember to keep him that way. I know I'm being a bit paranoid, but it surprises me to see just how young and short he looks. Like how dangerous can a 15-year-old skinny little bugger at 1.5 meters be? 

Maybe they just really didn't want Alm's original gang to be a complete sausage fest.

Also, way to defy those gender stereotypes, Alm. Nintendo has had three recent games where a woman is turning around dramatically after staring longingly at something (in two out of three cases a sunset), but now it's a guy's turn to do that.

Yeah, I think that voice is Alm. Sounds appropriately teenage.

Personally I'm glad he's kind of spindly and short, because a ton of real 15-year-olds are. Plus, it beats seeing 20-something/30-something-year-olds playing at being teenagers. From what we see of them, he seems dangerous no matter how tiny he may be. :P:

28 minutes ago, RedEyedDrake said:

Also, how in the world is Rudolf supposed to be an emperor? He only has one kingdom under his domain for the entire duration of the war. And Rigel was founded as a single kingdom to begin with.

Maybe he's prematurely calling himself that due to his designs on Zofia? It may not be *officially* under his control quite yet, but I'm sure he already considers it to be.

Alm has always come across as fairly young and immature to me. Even in the original dialogue, the game starts out with Mycen basically telling him to go play outside, and he's pretty convinced of black-and-white morality while also not really being the brightest tool in the shed.

That's not to say he's naive or idealistic; while he may be 'childlike' in some ways, he approaches it in a very different way from Roy. Roy is a surprisingly good strategist who has a fairly pure heart. Alm is neither of these things: he's a really good fighter in a world where Zofia doesn't really have very many of those (hence all the Villagers), but his political school of thought largely boils down to "these bastards are hurting Zofia/Celica/me, so they all need to die!" No tact, no maturity, just preemptive vengeance. He's much more likely to be a slightly-younger Hector than a slightly-younger Eliwood (i.e. Roy.)

Celica has more in common with Roy than Alm does, honestly.

14 minutes ago, Iridium said:

his political school of thought largely boils down to "these bastards are hurting Zofia/Celica/me, so they all need to die!" No tact, no maturity, just preemptive vengeance. 

I hope that they don't change his character too much. I want him to be agressive.  Other than that, the trailer looks pretty good.  Especially Alm.  He looks very powerful, being able to stand up to a Paladin (I'm assuming) on a horse.  I guess you could say he's... Almighty.  His voice is a little squeaky to me, but I'm sure it'll grow on me.  All in all, I just became 3x more hyped than I was initially, because Catria is confirmed in the game.  I'm hearing Phoenix mode is returning too.  Any thoughts as to why that may be?

The impression that I got from Alm is that he isn't Eren tier of angry in an us vs them sort of way but that he is nonetheless a bit too comfortable with dishing out as much violence as it would take to accomplish the goals that he aims for. And that his side of the story is building up to him overcoming his own desensitization and over-acceptance of violence and war. As in, he still grits his teeth and does what is needed of him but he learns to not just shrug off the path and the means that it took him to reach his goal anymore.

alm had like 10 lines of dialogue in gaiden, and really only one slightly meaningful conversation

i honestly don't care what they do with his character since he hardly had any to begin with

he wasn't, lol

i'm not even sure he was solely responding to you

but yeah, looks good aside from my opinion on the '3D animation' elements. Not sure when they're used but I would have preferred if there were more consistent because I think they look kinda poor compared to the 2D animation.

3 hours ago, Thane said:

Also, way to defy those gender stereotypes, Alm. Nintendo has had three recent games where a woman is turning around dramatically after staring longingly at something (in two out of three cases a sunset), but now it's a guy's turn to do that.

It was sorta like that in the original. I say sorta because the graphic limitations at the time couldn't really paint a scene like they can now so you had to use your imagination for that scene.

Well, this makes me hyped at least. Seems like they are really fleshing out the story. With how little there was to begin with there is much potential.

Also I thought Alm always looked kinda young? It's just switching out early nighties to late tens art style. I honestly don't even remember Alm and Celica having a personality when I read a Gaiden LP. Almost all of their personality I know of comes from the Awakening DLC which is kinda recent and will probably be something like that in the remake.

6 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

It was sorta like that in the original. I say sorta because the graphic limitations at the time couldn't really paint a scene like they can now so you had to use your imagination for that scene.

I know, I played the game, but there was no sunset or dramatic turnaround. 

You know, like this:

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

I know, I played the game, but there was no sunset or dramatic turnaround. 

You know, like this:

Oh wow Nintendo sure likes that cliche. Thanks for the receipts!

It's looking very good... can't wait to play it and see. It definitely looks like they're focusing on story, so hopefully no shenanigans this time and we actually get a well-crafted one...

Damn, they're getting me hype again... But I've already been hurt once with Fates...

I can't seem to find a Japanese version of this PV. The Japanese site still only has the first PV.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

22 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Damn, they're getting me hype again... But I've already been hurt once with Fates...

I can't seem to find a Japanese version of this PV. The Japanese site still only has the first PV.

looks like there is no jp version of the trailer maybe a little later will appear

3 minutes ago, Mysterique Sign said:

Kamui and Saber seem to have different sprites, possible separation of Mercenary/Myrmidon classes?

I'm pretty sure Saber is just promoted as we have seen him with the same sprite as Kamui before.

On closer inspection, Saber is most definitely promoted since his sprite here matches that of the OG sprite.

Swordfighter.png

Also Leo also seems to have promoted since his sprite matches the OG Sniper sprite.

Sniper

Really like the way the game looks. A lot of the visual elements are nice throwbacks to gaiden, like celica jumping up before attacking, the way the map sprites look, etc.

Cutscenes look stiff, but more visually pleasing than awakenings and fates. While I don't think they will do much to expand the game's story, I think it will definetly go a long way in making the game's presentation better than gaiden's.