New Echoes: SoV Trailer

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 91k views, I thought it would rank in like 200k. The trailer looks good nothing to impressive the cgi looks worse than in Awakening and Fates, I know this is a side project but come on now. The battle animation is great and the voices are good. I feel like this will least. Than both of Fates and Awakening, but I can see it hitting 1mil.

2 hours ago, unique said:

just noticed a really cute detail in the video

Hide contents

ruiNje8.png

celica uses her magic to light up a torch

i love that

She's not lighting up a torch; she's creating a magical flame to hover a little ways in front of her.

26 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

She's not lighting up a torch; she's creating a magical flame to hover a little ways in front of her.

yeah looking at the video again in a slightly better quality she's definitely doing that

that's pretty neat too i really like it

although thinking about it considering it hurts to use magic that can't be very healthy

Edited by unique

3 hours ago, unique said:

just noticed a really cute detail in the video

Reveal hidden contents

ruiNje8.png

celica uses her magic to light up a torch

i love that

Oh no, she's risking her life by doing that!

22 hours ago, RedEyedDrake said:

..."Zophia"? Good grief, I still remember that one trailer messing up and having "Valencia" in its title. The subs from the very first trailer have already had the southern kingdom be called "Zofia". So I have all the grounds to believe that this trailer's title is another mistake. And if that is the case then come the cripes on. These people are supposed to represent an official product of theirs.

Oh hey they corrected it to "Zofia"

Something I just noticed: mysterious mounty/Slayder/Jerome was using a sword. Mounted units could only use lances in Gaiden. Is that just for flavor? Really though, the lack of a weapon triangle means the ability to equip both isn't much of a boon anyways.

On 2017-03-11 at 6:31 PM, The DanMan said:

Something I just noticed: mysterious mounty/Slayder/Jerome was using a sword. Mounted units could only use lances in Gaiden. Is that just for flavor? Really though, the lack of a weapon triangle means the ability to equip both isn't much of a boon anyways.

I can't keep track of who people think is who, but Blackie and Blondie both have lances. Is there another "mysterious mounty" that I missed?

Speaking of swords, looks like Rudolf has a freaking claymore and just now do I realize how tall he is. He has a lance when Alm fights him, so I'm guessing this is the Falchion.

22 minutes ago, Sock said:

I can't keep track of who people think is who, but Blackie and Blondie both have lances. Is there another "mysterious mounty" that I missed?

Speaking of swords, looks like Rudolf has a freaking claymore and just now do I realize how tall he is. He has a lance when Alm fights him, so I'm guessing this is the Falchion.

Mysterious mountie is "Blackie"; "Blondie" appears to be Zeke/Camus. Though yeah, looking again they both have lances. My bad.

And yeah, Rudolf is really suffering from Walhart/Garon syndrome. He looks like he's 9 feet tall.

I'm not sure about the voice acting yet but the content so far has gotten me really excited.  I think that after I finish Sacred Stones I'll try play a bit of the original Gaiden before this comes out. :) 

On 3/10/2017 at 3:56 PM, escotanner said:

If we could just get some more character artwork, I'll be happy.

Who's the intern at IS that keeps forgetting to upload the character artwork? They showed Baldur and Mae's cipher, and the complete edition cover with Baldur, Mae, Tobin, and Kamui(?) in the background. We know their poses so it's not a surprise so they should just release 'em already. We don't have too many weeks until the Japanese release anyways (like 5?)

I see someone noticed what I said earlier in this thread and turned it into a singular image or they noticed it independently from me which is a lot more likely but shh, let me have this

tumblr_ompsw50Pjh1vuav4jo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Thane

I want to be excited for this game, but nothing so far has been anything exceptional. The trailer might work for someone who's played Gaiden (I was beyond hyped for Pokemon ORAS when that first teaser was just an estimated release date). Maybe if these trailers put more emphasis on the gameplay (explaining the mechanics better) instead of the visuals that aren't anything spectacular to begin with (2D portraits look fine but oh boy the 3D, the movement of characters in the cut scenes in particular look really stiff to me).

20 minutes ago, I'm a Spheal said:

The trailer might work for someone who's played Gaiden 

This is what's happening with me - I love the original Gaiden, and it has always been one of my favorite games in the franchise. What I'm excited about most is being able to better share a game that I love to pieces with others.

How excited I am that people are writing this game off as another "Shadow Dragon" (another favorite of mine), is another story altogether.

RE People thinking this is gonna be another Shadow Dragon

I honestly don't see what would lead you to believe that. Just the absence of Pair Up? We're getting the likes of voice acting, and they're clearly expanding the original story based on the new characters (mysterious paladin guy) that we see, and FE12 expanded Mystery's story and characters with its own conversations. I see no reason why they wouldn't carry over that same mechanic, even if they're not "traditional" support conversations that we're used to. Especially considering how well New Mystery was received in Japan.

Gotta say that Alm's looking pretty good in that shot of him in front of the sunset... never realized just how much this redesign is doing for him Cough. ;):

Edited by Extrasolar

19 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

RE People thinking this is gonna be another Shadow Dragon

I honestly don't see what would lead you to believe that. Just the absence of Pair Up? We're getting the likes of voice acting, and they're clearly expanding the original story based on the new characters (mysterious paladin guy) that we see, and FE12 expanded Mystery's story and characters with its own conversations. I see no reason why they wouldn't carry over that same mechanic, even if they're not "traditional" support conversations that we're used to. Especially considering how well New Mystery was received in Japan.

It's not a well-founded fear, but people are worried when they think of the original Gaiden, Shadow Dragon and then how many things seem way too similar to the original game in Shadows of Valentia. People just want their support conversations, and I'm one of them. Being too faithful to Gaiden would be doing the good ideas of that game a disservice.

19 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Gotta say that Alm's looking pretty good in that shot of him in front of the sunset... never realized just how much this redesign is doing for him Cough. ;):

original.jpg

Edited by Thane

23 minutes ago, Thane said:

It's not a well-founded fear, but people are worried when they think of the original Gaiden, Shadow Dragon and then how many things seem way too similar to the original game in Shadows of Valentia. People just want their support conversations, and I'm one of them. Being too faithful to Gaiden would be doing the good ideas of that game a disservice.

original.jpg

XD
I walked right in to that one... Was gonna add "He's totally legal, right?" :P:

How old even is Alm? 16?

But yeah, I definitely agree as far as support conversations go, though honestly I don't think they'll be including GBA/POR style ones in the game. If anything we'll get FE12-style convos. But we can all hope and dream, most definitely. I think a lot of the reason why Shadow Dragon failed (at least in the west) was the DS hardware and its inability to give us things like full scenes, voice acting, and the the like to improve the presentation. If anything, New Mystery adding character/plot developing convos proved that they learned from their mistake.

Gaiden mechanics are strange to our modern sensibilities and can even be frustrating, but I have faith that they'll make them work. Dungeon crawling and world map shenanigans already look super fun, and they're at least adding some sort of date mechanic (meaning time, not like love stuff, lol). Maybe the game will be timed and you have to keep on the move or the Rigellian army will catch up to you?

23 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

XD
I walked right in to that one... Was gonna add "He's totally legal, right?" :P:

How old even is Alm? 16?

Does that even matter anymore? Elise and Midoriko are apparently technically adults, we've got characters like Nowi and every other girl that's like 13 from the very first game to Fates are running around in dangerously short skirts or dresses with long slits. I think you're safe all things considered.

You sick perv.

23 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

But yeah, I definitely agree as far as support conversations go, though honestly I don't think they'll be including GBA/POR style ones in the game. If anything we'll get FE12-style convos. But we can all hope and dream, most definitely. I think a lot of the reason why Shadow Dragon failed (at least in the west) was the DS hardware and its inability to give us things like full scenes, voice acting, and the the like to improve the presentation. If anything, New Mystery adding character/plot developing convos proved that they learned from their mistake.

Gaiden mechanics are strange to our modern sensibilities and can even be frustrating, but I have faith that they'll make them work. Dungeon crawling and world map shenanigans already look super fun, and they're at least adding some sort of date mechanic (meaning time, not like love stuff, lol). Maybe the game will be timed and you have to keep on the move or the Rigellian army will catch up to you?

The fact remains that several of Gaiden's flaws were straight up bad design decisions not even related to the hardware issues. Suddenly on one map one character is separated from the main force and has to run to meet up with the others otherwise they'll get swarmed. Desert tiles reduce movement to one, and it takes around seven turns to even reach the enemies who stand around doing nothing, etc.

Like I said, remaking Gaiden too faithfully would be doing it a disservice to the fantastic ideas the game actually did implement. I hope you're right with your assessment of New Mystery of the Emblem, but that's still the game that gave us Kris, so I don't know. Maybe I'm just cynical after Fates. I know, I know, I'm beating the ground where the dead horse used to be after it was turned into a paste, but that's how I feel. Maybe they saw the negative feedback and wanted to return to their roots or something. 

I hope the dungeon crawling stuff will be an interesting and worthwhile addition to the franchise. It sure looks fun.

Edited by Thane

9 minutes ago, Thane said:

Does that even matter anymore? Elise and Midoriko are apparently technically adults, and we've got characters like Nowi running around and every other girl that's like 13 from the very first game to Fates are running around in dangerously short skirts or dresses with long slits. I think you're safe all things considered.

You make good points, lol. But then again, when your army is 75% teenagers in the first place, what can you really expect? XD

6 minutes ago, Thane said:

Desert tiles reduce movement to one, and it takes around seven turns to even reach the enemies who stand around doing nothing, etc.

*gets PTSD-style flashbacks of those goddamn desert chapters in FE7* ...Please... Please no....

7 minutes ago, Thane said:

Like I said, remaking Gaiden too faithfully would be doing it a disservice to the fantastic ideas the game actually did implement. I hope you're right with your assessment of New Mystery of the Emblem, but that's still the game that gave us Kris, so I don't know. Maybe I'm just cynical after Fates. I know, I know, I'm beating the ground where the dead horse used to be after it was turned into a paste, but that's how I feel. Maybe they saw the negative feedback and wanted to return to their roots or something. 

Oh, I am praying that we don't get an Avatar in this game (seems to be safe, as Kris was a large part of FE12's marketing and we saw the feature being demonstrated early on in media), but yeah, I definitely don't need a "weak and pitiful lord(s) (RIP Marth's dignity) and a heroic, awesometastic Avatar swooping in to save the day." Hey guys, Alm and Celica didn't bring down Rudolf and Duma, it was actually Steve the Avatar! :/

But I'm sure they'll update the maps and change things to fit/flow better with our modern sensibilities. After all, even Shadow Dragon changed the maps and things up, even if it by and large remained faithful (too much so, imo).

3 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

But I'm sure they'll update the maps and change things to fit/flow better with our modern sensibilities. After all, even Shadow Dragon changed the maps and things up, even if it by and large remained faithful (too much so, imo).

I hope you're right. We've not seen any real maps barring a few from the first chapter I believe, so one can only hope. I don't think there'll be an avatar in it though given the focus on Alm and Celica, and if there is, they'll be toned down in importance I'm sure. I guess the lack of information and things that look too similar are just putting people on edge, but hey, let's remain positive; if they can make Gaiden's good parts shine and remove some of the bad parts of the 3DS games, then it'll be a fantastic installment.

Let's hope they fix Rudolf's brain while they're at it, but it seems like he'll have more of a point given how they've portrayed Zofia and Rigel so far.

3 hours ago, Thane said:

I see someone noticed what I said earlier in this thread and turned it into a singular image or they noticed it independently from me which is a lot more likely but shh, let me have this

tumblr_ompsw50Pjh1vuav4jo1_1280.jpg

Yes, the difference is quite clear: the last one is turning around from the right, not the left.

I never played Gaiden, but as a "veteran" Fire Emblem fan, I am looking forward to playing it. I don't mind if Echoes sticks close to the original formula, but it would be nice to adjust some things if there were implemented poorly or if they could be improved upon while staying "vanilla." If the original did not have support conversations, I would not mind (and would actually prefer) if Support Conversations were added for Echoes. If Gaiden did not have Anna, Echoes can introduce her.

As for Shadow Dragon concerns, it was a decent game. I had fun with it for a while and it was nice to delve into that universe, but it does not have the hook like the other Fire Emblem games do. I find it more of a "forgettable" entry to the series because of how simple it was. Fates, despite its flaws and heated discussion, still had some positive aspects and replayability to it. I believe Shadows of Valentia will be fine, and I'm not too worried about it. Now, if they start adding Avatars, Children, and everyone marrying each other, then we have a problem.