The Golden Age. Act 2: Converging Paths.

riariadne

Kaya stared at the firey blast that had surrounded their enemy. "So... pretty fire." She swayed slightly, looking around for the source of the distressed noise before settling on Telmara in front of her. "No... I'm ok. We need to talk, right? Lets talk..." She took a few steps as if she were headed away from the group for a private chat when she stopped, swaying slightly in place. "I think... I should maybe sit down..." And she did, though it was more falling into a sitting position than it was a controlled sit.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"N-No, you're not okay. Just, h-here, I have a vulnerary l-left over... Use it, okay?" Telmara got the satchel off of her belt, collapsing next to Kaya, sitting on her tail. "Geez... I-I thought we talked about being more careful? Now l-look at you..." There wasn't much else she could do but sit and wait to see if anyone else had knowledge of healing implements... Or if herbs and medicine did their job fast enough.

Velvet watched patiently, not at all considering walking towards the battle against the armored foe until he disappeared. "Well! How unusual, a battle with nobody here left but us. Orrrrr that would be the case, but..." She pawed at the ground next to her with her foot, towards the collapsed mage. "He's unconscious. Definitely didn't see those attacks coming, did he now? Well, I suckered him into listening to me so we would be able to get some answers instead of just wondering about the whole situation. Then we can let the local authorities figure out what to do with him." She retrieved some rope from her bag, smirking as she tied him against the tree he was next to. "Now we'll be more knowledgable! Or, whenever he wakes up, anyway. I think I have enough pointed questions that we'll get something out of the trouble, anyway. Anyway, I don't really have more medicine than basic vulneraries, so I can't help much there, sorry. Maybe there will be a healer in the city willing to help."

Dimitrius vanishing was both a blessing and a curse, in the eyes of Aaron. The man refused to stay down, but his escape did mean that the battle had been won. I wonder about that powder... Aaron was far from a learned wizard, but in his days as a merchant he'd never even heard of such a thing. Was it one of Timaeus' own creations, or something else?

He sighed. They were still very much in the dark, even if they had cleared the path. That was worth celebrating though, he supposed, and Kolmar seemed to already way ahead of Aaron based on what he was holding. "They didn't give you very much trouble, by the looks of things." Aaron smirked. It was probably going to be some time before they set off again, so why not relax a little?

"My, that's a guy that doesn't know when to quit." Raz sighed, placing her hands on her hips, at least the worst was over. "Still, that was scary... are these images becoming stronger?" That would be a bad thing, if their strength was gradual. Maybe it had to do with Timaeus' own powers restoring. No good, no good at all. I can't have a guy like that prancing around. Putting her tome back on her stash, Raz turned back to see the status on the others.

Oh my, Kaya. It seems she had a number done on her, and Telmara had ran--slithered to her side, almost panicking about the priestess wounds and the needed treatment. "Uh, if it's any help." Raz slowly walked towards the pair, bringing her tome out again, "I can at least use light magic to close kaya's wounds, well, not the same way that a staff can, and you won't feel energized, but at least it'll stop you from worrying about getting a nasty sickness. It'll just sting a little." It was worth trying, right?

Joviana could only watch in awe as Telmara burnt the trees around the armour knight, knocking him out. "Those are beautiful flames." she thought aloud, before watching the man escape as quickly as he was taken out. She composed herself, having been so caught up in battle that she had forgotten about the reason they were in the battle to begin with. She listened to what Velvet had to say about their situation, and winced upon the mention of the word 'Fordright'. How could I forget? Perhaps I should take Kaya to some place I know and let her rest there. I know the city quite well, after all.

Removing her hood and tying her hair into a bun, she walked up to where Aaron and Kolmar were. Something felt strange about their encounter with the sand soldiers. "Do you have any clue as to why Timaeus wasn't here? Seems strange that his people were here to lay siege on a city without his presence."

The smirk on Aaron's face was quickly replaced with a frown, with Joviana's question. So much for a short reprieve, eh... It was something the armoured fighter hadn't considered yet, and he stroked his beard as he gave the matter some thought. "Well, if Timaeus' goal is the Gifts, there are seven in total. Perhaps he's already preoccupied..." It seemed likely, with that in mind, that one of the Gifts would be hidden nearby.

"Do you have any other ideas?" He addressed the pair broadly, caring little for who answered. Aaron, in light of recent events, was very aware that he might not be the sharpest tool in the shed. It was very possible that he'd missed something.

Edited by SB.

"If Timaeus is the Big Bad," Kolmar mused, "then he probably has better things to do with his time."  He let out a loud burp, mostly at the thought of fighting that time bastard again.  "But somethin' tells me that Timmy answers to someone else.  Still, wonderin' about it ain't gonna make things better."  He motioned towards the unconscious mage that Velvet stood over.  "So, any of ya familiar with interrogation?"

"Nnn... no. No light magic..." Kaya tried to shove Raz away, instead fumbling at her waist for one of the vulneraries she carried with her. Failing fairly miserably, she gestured at the satchel in Telmara's hand. "That... put some of it on my wounds... It'll stop the bleeding... Should. Should allow for healing. Just need rest. And maybe some food." She knew logically it was blood loss that was making her head all fuzzy like this, but that didn't mean she wanted the wounds cauterized which seemed to be what Raz was offering. "Any... are there any others... hurt?" Hopefully not. She wasn't sure she'd be able to heal any more like this. It was a miracle she hadn't collapsed when the man's spear hit her in the first place.

"I haven't much experience with interrogating, but I think he might be at least somewhat cooperative." Velvet responded to Kolmar. "After all, he didn't exactly hit back at all. But maybe someone else could play good knight, bad knight with me if he's tough. Still, he seems to be out cold, so I'm not sure that we'll do very much right away. I think Kaya is injured enough that the city is worth looking into, and plenty of the rest of us are wounded, too, and she's in no state to help with that. In such a big city, surely we can have someone to help out. We can have someone carry him along instead, and the ropes would be easy enough to adjust for that, or someone can stay as a guard." She bent over to check on the mage again, moving his head to see any signs of movement, and standing and shrugging when she didn't. 

"No signs of waking at all. Besides, the people will want to know that the issue has been cleared up, and maybe there'll be some money coming our way out of appreciation like those townfolk said. Not that the money is why we were helping, seeing as this group is in opposition to our quest to find the Emblem, but... some funding for the journey would be appreciated. Oh, and the people of the city could likely know more, too. We don't have to stay too long if we want to get back on the trail quickly, but I think we should at least stop for a little while."

"N-No, Raz, that's... Of course, Kaya. Let me handle that." There wasn't much else to do but listen to where she needed fixing up, her arm and her... S-Stomach. She couldn't help the blush, despite the serious situation. Arm, just, s-start with her arm. Gods, this must be some trial for sleeping in...

"I'll take what you're offering, Raz," Mihkaila began, stepping up next to the mini-mage. "I took a bit of a beating, and could use the care, until our healer is in better shape... And it's good to see you back, Telmara. We'd thought you gone for good."

"H-Huh?" Wait, gone? What? "Wh... I-Is that what you wanted to talk about, Kaya? You... You all thought I left? I... Th-That's embarrassing..."

"I see... No, nobody seems as urgent as you Kaya. Take it easy until the medicine starts working." Raz reassured the priestess, both her and Telmara not keen about her light magic patch-up. Some of the others seemed preoccupied with the man they KO'd, and there was the matter of those still in the city. Raz was about to store back her tome and head to the city but somebody seemed keen in accepting her help, a surprise. "Uh, Mikhaila?" She was pretty beat-up, not as much as Kaya but still a case where Raz's magic could come in handy.

Even then, it was a bit unnerving to have Mikhaila ask her for help. The woman seemed in her own world at times, and what was up with her mask? Raz swore it was even more uncanny lately... "Uh, alright." She retrieved her tome again, "Please show me your wounds."

"Mmm... yeah. That... We looked for you. But your room was empty and... your stuff wasn't there." She winced as Telmara applied the medicine to her arm, the cut stinging as she did. "We though... Thought you left. No note, nothing. So I was going to ask... Ask what changed your mind? Why did you come back?" It seemed like from her comment about things being embarrassing that she hadn't intended to leave in the first place which was interesting. But then where had she been? It didn't make sense that she just wasn't there. And it wasn't like they could have easily missed her. She stood out just a little bit after all. Hopefully she had a good explanation.

Mikhaila raised her arm up, leaving it in front of Raz. There was a rather rudimentary gash along it, though most of her other injuries were self inflicted. The mask didn't discriminate in where it hurt her. It was more of a draining throughout her whole body... But getting this dealt with for now, that would suffice. "Until Kaya's back in working order, having this stop bleeding would be appreciated. I'm sure you can manage that much."

"Uuuuuuuuugh..." Telmara's groan caught even the masked woman off guard, glancing over at her with a slightly confused eye. "I... Th-This is so stupid... I didn't... A-After you, went shopping... I, I went back to the library. And... A-And... I can't say it... It's too stupid...! UGH! I fell asleep on the top floor! Reading about magic! There!" Leaving Kaya's stomach alone for the moment, she buried her idiot head in her claws, groaning harder. Mikhaila managed a snort, Telmara shot her a glare.

"Wh-When I woke up, I tried to find everyone, but you were already all gone... So I had to rush off after you all. And I looked so stupid when the library attendant found me up there... Probably scared the life out of her. Giant snake monster asleep in your bookshelves... Sorry."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"Oh wow, got hit pretty bad, huh?" Raz blurted out her thoughts, holding back a wince as she stared at the gash. Sighing, Raz started to work on Mikhaila's gash, a flicker of bright light coming from her index finger as she opened her tome. "Yeah, I can manage that, it's simple magic." And she was an able mage, in her own right! Still, Raz couldn't help throwing another curious glance at Mikhaila's mask, one not as subtle as she thought it was. This thing makes no sense... I still don't understand how come I've never heard of it.

She was a bit too busy, but she caught the gist of Telmara's misadventure, holding a sympathetic smile.

Edited by Xinnidy

"Ha... Haha haha." Unlike Mika, Kaya couldn't help but laugh at the explanation. "Of course... Of course that's what happened. I... I should have know-- tss..." She sharply inhaled as Telmara started to put the medicine on her stomach and the deeper wound began to sting more. "Ha... Should have checked... But at least... At least you caught up... Sorry for leaving... Mmm... Might need to sleep..." She was beginning to fade, even though some part of her brain was trying to tell her it was a bad idea. "Heh... Poor librarian....." Her head nodded down towards her chest as she began to slip into unconsciousness. 

"C-Come on, don't laugh... Ugh..." Of course she was, anyway. Telmara blushed, shrinking some, and sighing. "B-But I'm here now, okay? So... Just, make sure I don't oversleep, any... More... K-Kaya? Kaya!" She brought her hands up to her shoulders to steady her, holding her up so she didn't collapse. "Ahh, geez... W-We should, either carry her along, or... Or make camp here, I g-guess..."

"Telmara, you know the city is still incredibly close, correct?" Mikhaila chimed in, arm still held out. She was braced for enough, but if she thought this was what it should be, it would sting plenty. "If you're fine with carrying her, then we could move her. I'm sure you'd be careful enough. Otherwise, we don't have any horses for transporting. Still, I find that such a small trip would likely not disturb things."

"O... Oh... I, uh... O-Of course. Ahah... Hahhh... W-Well, if you think it'd be fine, I can, carry her back."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Raz couldn't help a giggle at Telmara's antics and panic, though it was pretty scary to have Kaya just fade on them like that --ah! Focus! Mikhaila needed a proper gash treatment. Too many thoughts, too many thoughts Finishing up on Mikhaila's wound, to a point where it sealed and the bleeding stopped, Raz sighed and retreated her finger, putting the magic to rest. "And that's all! Raz certified!" Giving the woman a salute, Raz looked pretty content about her work. "Anything else before we make preparations to go to the city, then?"

"Sounds good," Kolmar replied to Velvet.  "We could use a proper meal, an' I ain't in the mood to hunt."  He eyed the unconscious mage.  "Guess I'll be the bad guy, since that's what I'm good at.  You'd do better with sweet-talkin' anyway."

"Interrogation?" Aaron raised an eyebrow. He doubted that any of them had any significant experience in- Actually, never mind. His face returned to neutral as he remembered who he was talking to. That being said, he was pleased when Velvet shook off the suggrstion. It didn't sound like a particularly pleasant, and doing it out in the open could cause some... complications, if any passersby happened upon them.

"I can carry him. No problems there." He fixed his poorly-named keepsake back to his side, testing the weight of the mage rather lackadasically. Not too heavy. Good. He set the prisoner back down in a heap as he listened to Velvet continue. "I imagine the city dwellers would like a word with him too. I'm sure we'll have a warm meal waiting for us though, for all of our troubles."

A small crowd was gathered at the city’s entrance as the group headed towards the city. "Ye really done it!" a man exclaimed when the group arrived. "We were watchin’ from here an’ hopin’ that you’d be the people to drive them right jerks outta here. The Knights here were able to keep ‘em from causin’ too much trouble within the city, but couldn’t get ‘em away completely, so ye’ve all earned our respect!"

One man among the group stood out. What looked like once-glamorous maroon robes were rather worn down, and his light blonde hair was unkempt. He partly held, but was partly leaning on an ornate staff, hardly able to keep his sky blue eyes open, but nodding at them. "Your work is much appreciated. Ah, I recognize, hmm, most of you… but you may not all know me. For those who don’t, my name is Regus, Magus of the Anima. The people of this city have endured difficulties under siege, and I arrived about an hour ago to heal the injured. You seem to have someone in much need yourself." He moved his staff lazily, but a bright blue light enveloped Kaya, her wounds vanishing in an instant. "She should be better already."

"This is the fourth place I came to for this, and suffered the worst. Many were injured, though few killed. They were foolish to attack Grunan under the guard of me and the mages there. Then, I visited Vespen, only to find that Duke Damas had already lead the Knights there into battle himself, the crazy old man. My stop in Hartholm was brief, as weak sand images proved no match for Miss Tairn there. If I’d known the other two areas were safe already, I’d have come sooner… and probably lost less sleep for it. With Duke Reid and Sir Maximus away, Fordright was missing its two best defenders, and Dimitrius’s armor proved trouble for ordinary soldiers. They were also quite disorganized, as the knights are housed in the west, so defenses here were low. So, I along with the people of Fordright thank you all for your assistance." He smiled, then rubbed beneath his eyes. "There are many places closed at the moment during the siege, from my understanding, but others will have people who may be quite grateful to you. Ah, and... compensation." He withdrew a pouch of gold from within his robes, distributing some to the party. "I have little need for this, but the Duke's circle insisted on paying me... well, I did not actually help rid them of the attackers, so it is better suited with you all."

Everyone gets 1000 gold. Welcome to Fordright. There's less here because of the attacks and it's smaller than Madrigal and you'll be here for less, but you are free to explore!

Kaya had been all but passed out in Telmara's arms, just barely awake but not enough to really know what was going on around her. Then she felt a warm feeling surround her for a brief second and the pain fade. "Mmm..." She stirred, noticed she was being carried, and immediately began to wiggle out of the grasp. "I'm ok now... It's... It's fine." She managed to escape, and settled down on her own two feet before turning and looking at the crowd in front of them. Accepting the gold from the man with the staff, she bowed to him. "I thank you for your help. And your generosity with this money. If you don't mind... Who are you? If you introduced yourself before, I'm afraid I missed it... Oh, ah, I am Kaya Bereen. I suppose I should introduce myself before demanding your name." She was still slightly out of it, given the fresh healing so her words were a bit muddled. Hopefully the man who helped her would understand.

Edited by scorri

It seemed as though Kolmar could get the hero's welcome he was hoping for, and receiving payment from the Magus was certainly a welcome surprise. Aaron knew of his significance, but as he wasn't a mage himself, he felt as though he had very little to say. "I'm going to take the mage to the castle." He couldn't do very much while he was still hauling around dead weight, and it was likely the city's government had things they would like to learn from their new prisoner as well. Perhaps there would even be a reward involved.

With Kaya stirring as well, and everything seeming fine again, Aaron turned to leave."If anyone would like to join me, feel free." Kolmar had offered up his assistance in the 'interrogation' earlier, so perhaps he would be willing to accompany him. But then again, imagining the ex-smuggler inside of a castle almost felt wrong... Perhaps nobody would join him at all, in the end.

Kolmar turned to Regus.  "Thanks for the gold.  Gonna treat myself to a nice meal after that nonsense."  With that, he followed Aaron.  On the off-chance the mage woke up, it would be best if there was. . .someone else to restrain him.

How interesting that it was a Magus that came to them. Regus certainly seemed like a busy man for all he talked about, but to act like a spokesperson and even hand them out the prize money made him look like he had some time to spare... or just had very weird priorities. Considering he just gave them a hefty amount of money like nothing, probably the latter.

"Well, it's nice to meet one of the Magus." Raz nodded, gladly taking her piece of the reward. Heard about most... Hmm, I guess it's natural that Noctus speaks to his siblings once in a while. "We'll probably be here for a while... it'd be nice to investigate further about these sand images. They're more widespread than I first thought, and always the same people. Timaeus must at least have some mastery of warp magic." Which was surprising, considering their first meeting. Why was he holding back, or was his power sealed after all?

"Ah, I'll go too!" Raz had a spring in her step as Aaron mentioned the castle. "I haven't been there before, so I wanted to at least check out the visitor's area, anyways. Won't hurt to know what this guy has to say, as well." Win-win, wasn't it?