"I just want to know one thing!"- Shadows of Valentia Edition

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

No one else seems to do reasonable damage, however. Celica is the closest thing, but she dies on the counter.

Ah... Think maybe you didn't grind enough? Most of my units could tank at least one shot from Doma at the end, in fact they mostly dodged (he had around 30% hit on his eyebeam, and around 50-60% on his close range attack). It was the witches and dark mages that game me a headache, plus Doma's anti-all attack every couple of turns. I didn't want to repeat the mistake I made with Gaiden when I didn't grind enough for the battle with Doma and ended up losing half my army just cause I wanted to end the game at that point...

I don't know, maybe try reloading a prior save, or making sure you have unit with high Def taking the first shots? What difficulty are you on?

Just now, NaokiP said:

Ah... Think maybe you didn't grind enough? Most of my units could tank at least one shot from Doma at the end, in fact they mostly dodged (he had around 30% hit on his eyebeam, and around 50-60% on his close range attack). It was the witches and dark mages that game me a headache, plus Doma's anti-all attack every couple of turns. I didn't want to repeat the mistake I made with Gaiden when I didn't grind enough for the battle with Doma and ended up losing half my army just cause I wanted to end the game at that point...

I don't know, maybe try reloading a prior save, or making sure you have unit with high Def taking the first shots? What difficulty are you on?

I'm playing on Hard. I didn't really grind that much since I didn't want to cheese.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I'm playing on Hard. I didn't really grind that much since I didn't want to cheese.

I have no idea how you made it all the way to Doma on Hard without grinding. Even the original Gaiden demanded that you grind a fair bit for him, and it seems to correspond with the Normal difficulty. All I can say is good luck, you'll need it...

Just now, NaokiP said:

I have no idea how you made it all the way to Doma on Hard without grinding. Even the original Gaiden demanded that you grind a fair bit for him, and it seems to correspond with the Normal difficulty. All I can say is good luck, you'll need it...

Well, I didn't exactly skip all of the encounters. I just didn't do extra grinding if I could help it. But anyway, considering how Rudolf's total stats were like, 20 above most of my units, maybe I am underleveled.

2 hours ago, NaokiP said:

I actually did it lol. I cheesed Duma using Illusion (Invoke) decoys to draw his aggro during his phase, while Alm with Celica's +10 crit support killed him.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

2 hours ago, VincentASM said:

When testing Mila's Turnwheel I went up to Turn 260 or something.

Continuing on from this, Collector Togami on youtube went to 999 turns and beyond. So you can go beyond 999 but 999 is the listed cap.

For those of you who cleared the game: Is Medusa something I might have to worry about seeing a fair amount in the postgame?

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

20 hours ago, ThatOneWeakArcher said:

In terms of difficulty and how much you like the characters, is it a good idea to do a no reset iron man run?

I'd imagine an Ironman run wouldn't be that hard considering you have turnwheel. If you didn't want to use that as well....... well... lol good luck. Based on what the RNG might be you could see yourself losing units to a lot of low % crits as i've seen a hilarious number of those just on people's streams

4 minutes ago, Tsak said:

I'd imagine an Ironman run wouldn't be that hard considering you have turnwheel. If you didn't want to use that as well....... well... lol good luck. Based on what the RNG might be you could see yourself losing units to a lot of low % crits as i've seen a hilarious number of those just on people's streams

I'm pretty sure an Iron Man run would prohibit the use of the Turnwheel.

Then again, different Iron Man rules i suppose.

21 minutes ago, Camisado said:

Are the Duma's Lance/Shield and the Mila's Bow/Ring drops for the amiibo dungeons? Are those the only items you can get there, or are there any other drops?

Don't have the amiibo to check and lazy to decode the data atm, but Duma's Lance is from the Fear Shrine IIRC.

Oh actually, it's easy to figure out...

Mila's Ordeal gives you Mila's Bow and Ring, yeah.

Duma's Ordeal gives you a big silver bag and Duma's Helm.

I also just noticed I got the icons for Duma's Helm mixed up with the Suspicious Mask... Oops.

23 minutes ago, ThatOneWeakArcher said:

No, as in would I care if a unit died.

Milas turnwheel effectively can stop units from ever dying if you use it correctly. But if you didn't use it I'd imagine iron man run would be difficult on hard mode

3 minutes ago, ThatOneWeakArcher said:

NO! As in are they likable enough to reset for? 

Most of them are. Gray is becoming a fan-favorite for pretty much everyone.

The only one you might not like is Faye, but you do have the option of simply not recruiting her.

That being said, i will say three things:

1. Likeableness will depend on you. I mean, most people don't like Faye but i do.

2. Considering this game has like, the smallest playable cast, you would still want to reset if a character dies.

3. Some characters like Gray and Tobin apoear in the story quite reguraly. I imagine if they died, the story would change in certain scenes.

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

Most of them are. Gray is becoming a fan-favorite for pretty much everyone.

The only one you might not like is Faye, but you do have the option of simply not recruiting her.

That being said, i will say three things:

1. Likeableness will depend on you. I mean, most people don't like Faye but i do.

2. Considering this game has like, the smallest playable cast, you would still want to reset if a character dies.

3. Some characters like Gray and Tobin apoear in the story quite reguraly. I imagine if they died, the story would change in certain scenes.

I THINK what happens is that story-heavy characters are permanently taken off the roster but do the "retreat" routine like a lot of Awakening characters usually, and only actually "die" on the final bossfight? Don't take my word for it though, I haven't tested it. I can't imagine them having written different scenarios in the middle of the game, it's just not what Fire Emblem usually does...

32 minutes ago, NaokiP said:

I THINK what happens is that story-heavy characters are permanently taken off the roster but do the "retreat" routine like a lot of Awakening characters usually, and only actually "die" on the final bossfight? Don't take my word for it though, I haven't tested it. I can't imagine them having written different scenarios in the middle of the game, it's just not what Fire Emblem usually does...

Well no, because characters like Gray and Tobin still have legitimate death quotes. Even Clive has one. There are no retreat quotes outside of Casual Mode.

Spoiler

Gray: "Ah...what a blunder. Good guys don't live long after all..."

Tobin: "It hurts...look like it's over. Alm, I believe in you..."

"Clive: Gh...this is the end for me too. I'm sorry everyone, Mathilda..."

And yeah, writing different scenarios is not something Fire Emblem usually does but neither is making minor characters story relevant, yet SoV is doing just that.

On 29/04/2017 at 0:58 PM, LowestRes said:

Why do some enemies appear to have support bonuses (ie orange bars in the forecast)?

Figured it out! It's because of Faye weird support bonuses. She's easier to hit when close to Alm, poor thing.

8 minutes ago, LowestRes said:

Figured it out! It's because of Faye weird support bonuses. She's easier to hit when close to Alm, poor thing.

On the bright side, she gets like the highest boost in hit-rate.

How do stat caps work here? If I take a Dread Fighter and turn them into a villager, then to another class, do they retain their stats, does it reduce them down to the stat caps of that class until they promote, or does it permanently reduce their stats?

Spoiler

When can you recruit Zeke? Is there special criteria you have to meet in order to do so, or is it just a matter of completing the chapter or defeating him in battle?

Also, how does everything work once you get to Chapter 6? I imagine you get a combination of Alm and Celica's team, but do you get a little bit of free reign on where to go? Can you go to previous chapter's locations, or is it just confined to Chapter 6's locations?

Also, how do Alm and Celica's amiibo dungeons work?

Edited by Tolvir

11 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

How do stat caps work here? If I take a Dread Fighter and turn them into a villager, then to another class, do they retain their stats, does it reduce them down to the stat caps of that class until they promote, or does it permanently reduce their stats?

it doesn't reduce their stats, just if they aren't at the classes base stats it will raise those stats up to be in line

12 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Hide contents

When can you recruit Zeke? Is there special criteria you have to meet in order to do so, or is it just a matter of completing the chapter or defeating him in battle?

You have to rescue Tatiana from Nuibaba's manor, with her on the field Zeke and his army will immediately go green and help you defeat the boss