The Official Encourage Thread!

DeSu

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody who doesn't hate Myrmidons/Swordmasters (I'm looking at you, sandman!) convince me why I should use Mia in PoR.

She comes early in the game, so you have pleanty of time to level her up. She has high strenght, and usually caps speed and skill. She has good overall stats...well except defense.

High strength? You sure? She's barely doing any damage at level 15. :/

Sorry I should have explained. As a myrmidon she starts off with low strenght. But as she progresses through out the game her attack power does improve. As a myrmidon only her strenght is not all that special just like Ziharks.

As a swordmaster she has fairly high strength and could go as high as 21...well for me anyway. It does depend on how well you level her up.

Beside she has a good chance of landing a critical so strenght doesn't become a issue when you progress in the game. Also for a swordmaster she has good resistence against magic compared to other swordmasters in the game.

You just need to be patient when leveling her up. If done so correctly she can be very useful in the game.

Edited by Luxord

Somebody who doesn't hate Myrmidons/Swordmasters (I'm looking at you, sandman!) convince me why I should use Mia in PoR.

I could give you some reasons, but I don't really agree with any of them. Mia joins when you're still leveling up Ike (who you really SHOULD be leveling up because he's necessary) and they share the role of anti-axe personel but he does it better because he can also take out horses and knights with his Regal Sword should you really need to. By the time you're getting Ike well enough on his feet he's not a liability, Zihark joins, whom I find a lot better.

*goes to check up on her stats*

You know what, I take that back. I really can't find a reason to use her. =\ Zihark beats her in everything but luck. They even share Ilyana as a possible support option. I guess if Rhys isn't going to support Titania, Rolf, Kieran or Ulki, she's your only other support option left? That's a fairly good reason because Rhys is a pretty awesome unit.

That's really all I can think of, though.

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant. She's 14 now (almost 15) and Zihark is 11. His stats are godly in comparison.

But yeah, I am supporting her with Rhys. And I'm doing a Greil Mercenary run (where I use every Greil Mercenary because I haven't done this before) so I'm kinda forcing myself to use her.

Hey, that A rank support gets you an extra bond between her and Rhys in FE10, which means another 5% crit chance when she's directly next to Rhys. Considering how awesome she is in FE10, that's another reason, assuming you have it and do the whole transfer bonus thingy.

Yeah, I'm mostly doing this for transfer purposes, though my Wii is dead and I'm not sure what's causing it, so it may be a long time before I can actually transfer them.

And holy crap, you actually think a Swordmaster is awesome? I must be high or something, because that's impossible!

Well, FE10 really is different than most. My biggest issue with swordmasters is their lack of durability, but they made it so everything can take a whole slew of hits and still survive so they have their uses. Also being able to double-attack the final boss is pretty helpful. It's pretty broken how high the speed and skill caps of the class are considering they still get a 32 strength cap, while knights have pretty much a 36 cap on everything so they never really shine.

I actually don't like Mia in FE10, I'm just saying "awesome" because most everyone else likes her. Swords are kind of pointless in Ike's chapters in Part 3, almost for the same reason they are on PoR: you already have Ike and you are most definitely going to use him.

I should've known that statement wasn't 100% your own opinion. :(

But anyway, she's tons better in RD than in PoR. Dodges like crazy 'n stuff. Still lacks in strength, though. :(

In POR I always give Mai Energy drop. I some how find it easy to cap Mai's strenght when she becomes a swordmaster.

Ena. Even with 20/20 stats on normal mode, she'll get butchered by dragons and Ashnard without even making a dent on them.

Stat boosters and Resolve will fix this problem. Add Wrath to let her destroy Ashnard in one blow.

How does Ike many any sword user obsolete?

Because you're going to want to level him up regardless of who else you want to use and using another sword person while you're still working on gaining him levels makes them compete for strategical usefulness on the field. There's not a terrible amount of axe using guys for the first half or more of the game.

When most the guys are using lances and axes are already hitting a lot harder than swords to begin with, why use Mia when you can focus on, say, Boyd or Titania or Kieran or even maybe Jill?

I find Leonardo pretty useless in the game. I can't seem to level him properly.

The only thing which he ever caps is skill and resistence. He has terrible speed and strenght.

Any advise on how to level up this guy?

Just use him. Things work themselves out. His strength is actually pretty decent (it's tied with Shinon on average if they were level equivalent and no one seems to have an issue with Shinon's strength). Speed can be an issue. 1) If you are dead-set on using him (and why not? half the fun of successive playthroughs are using units you find challenging), drop a speed wing on him. Why the heck not? The odds of you getting blessed so using the boost "goes to waste" is pretty much slim to none. 2) Bonus experience is your friend, especially during Tier 2. His luck gains are ridiculous so they can potentially max out towards the end of Tier 2, and you are pretty much guaranteed to max resistance and skill. Even if you don't max luck naturally, bonus XPing after he maxes Skill and Resistance should get his HP, Luck, and either Defense or Speed to increase (they have the same growth rate). Once he hits tier 3, he's god-mode because his HP, skill, resistance, AND luck will max pretty much instantly if you used any bonus experience during tier 2, so have fun with your uber-mode marksman.

Also, don't be afraid to give up the double bow in favor of his prf bow. That +5 speed = double attacking = more damage than the double bow will be putting out in most cases. Hell, if you feel the double bow is going to waste, simple solution is just use more archer. People pretty much agree Shinon and Rolf kick ass.

it's tied with Shinon on average if they were level equivalent and no one seems to have an issue with Shinon's strength

I haven't played this, but that's probably because Shinon is never at the same level as Leonardo.

Because you're going to want to level him up regardless of who else you want to use and using another sword person while you're still working on gaining him levels makes them compete for strategical usefulness on the field. There's not a terrible amount of axe using guys for the first half or more of the game.

When most the guys are using lances and axes are already hitting a lot harder than swords to begin with, why use Mia when you can focus on, say, Boyd or Titania or Kieran or even maybe Jill?

That really doesn't make sense to me. Just because you have one sword user means you shouldn't use another?

*Uses Oguma, Raddy, Navarre, Samson and Ceaszar, 5 Hero in FE3 Book 1*

*Uses Galzus, Halvan, Machuya and Othin, 4 mercenaries capable of using swords and axes. FE5*

*Uses Dieck, Oujay, Fir, Rutger, Karel, Echidna, 3 Hero and 3 Swordmasters. FE6*

*Uses Guy, Harken, Raven, 2 Hero and 1 swordmaster. FE7*

*Uses Gerik, Garcia, Ross as Hero and Marisa and Joshua as Swordmasters. FE8*

*Uses Wolf, Zagaro, Oguma, Barts and Horus as Hero, Abel, Kain, Freyr, and Hardinas swordmasters. 4 Swordmasters and 5 Hero. FEDS*

I'm such a bastard.

Edited by Boo

I'd like someone to explain how Lot and Noah are any good.

Anima affinity, great class, good enough supports. Lot is Dieck's best A support, and Fir wants Noah A for the full Avoid. Also, Noah can get Treck B, if he's used to support Miledy.

Astrid, Meg, Nephenee.

Someone explain.

Astrid - Paragon, potential transfer bonuses, best candidate for Blossom, best SS weapon, best Paladin type unit caps, gains much more experience than any other unit in her chapters, good for hit-and-run.

Meg - uh... Replacement for Edward, if he died. I'll let someone else tell you how she can be "great."

Nephenee - Potential transfer bonuses, one of few Beorc in part 2 chapters, one of fewer units gaining any experience in her part 2 chapters, good availability, good BEXP potential, very good SS weapon.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

That really doesn't make sense to me. Just because you have one sword user means you shouldn't use another?
Well, I'm saying there's not a lot of purpose in having two people that compete for the same roll in an army. Strategically, it's best to attack axe guys with sword guys, lance guys with axe guys, and sword guys with lance guys. There usually aren't a whole lot of enemies with axes for quite awhile, so why use Mia (who is weaker than Ike and less important than Ike is) who probably won't be attacking a whole lot of units she has a clear advantage against when you can use guys that have different weapon types that will be more effective in combat?

There's cases where a second main sword person is pretty handy because more axe guys show up so they have more strategic value, but by that time, Zihark has already joined who is pretty much better than Mia in every conceivable way.

I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T, but I am saying there's often much more of a case for other units. I used Zihark and Makalov in my PoR playthrough simply because I was building supports and transfer bonuses for my current Radiant Dawn run (Mak = Alondite, Z = Vague Katti) and honestly after Mak promoted, he never touched swords again except on rare occasions. Ike and Z were doing all the things that is strategically important for the typical sword user to be doing so Makalov was running forward and one-shotting mage or tagging Loldiers in the face with an axe way more often.

Does this make sense now? I know I've used some muddy English. I'm pretty mentally fatigued over the last week, really.