Did everyone seriously forget that

Fates and Awakening's dlc as a whole costed as much as Echoes' 40 dollars for a season pass of the ENTIRE dlc.

It's even more funny when they're mostly just optional grinding maps except for one being a story focused one. You can just buy that one and the Cipher collab.

Guys don't flip tables over this.

2 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

It worked the last two times, so they're just doing it again.

That's pretty much it.

But we kinda get more original content

The tier 4 classes that have their own original animations

New units from Cipher that will most likely not be reused textures like Awakening's "cards"

Story missions pre-Alm

Stuff that will make the awful growths better

Everything's fully voice acted as well

I just can't help but find it more appealing this time around. Though I can't blame you guys for wanting dlc cheaper.

Edited by LoyalKing32

8 minutes ago, LoyalKing32 said:

I just can't help but find it more appealing this time around. Though I can't blame you guys for wanting dlc cheaper.

It should just be in the base game instead of a paywall. But this is just the kind of era of gaming we live in.

8 minutes ago, Reflex said:

Just wait for a sale.

I don't recall there was Season Passes nor DLCs have sales existed, I think Sales only work for Full Downloadable/Retail games. I still recalled remembering the Awakening and Fates DLC was almost the same amount of money as Echoes: Shadows of Valentia have.

Edited by King Marth 64

The DLC costs more than the whole game itself, and that's if you buy the season pass that's supposed to "save" you money.

But it contains substantially less content than the game itself.

I can't say that paying more than the price of a new game for significantly less content than I expect from a new game is good value. The DLC doesn't even look that enticing.

I'll probably skip the DLC, maybe I'll just get the story pack and that's it. I only got The Future Past in Awakening.

Edited by Xaos Steel Wing

Awakening I'm not to sure about, it came out slowly enough that it didn't bother me

However with Fates the $40 dollars got you 2 full FE games, and the rest was really unessential

with this all of the DLC is comming out within the first month of it's release, which really irratates me, personally I think it should have been $25 flat for the DLC.

28 minutes ago, LoyalKing32 said:

But we kinda get more original content

The tier 4 classes that have their own original animations

New units from Cipher that will most likely not be reused textures like Awakening's "cards"

Story missions pre-Alm

Stuff that will make the awful growths better

Everything's fully voice acted as well

I don't mind it overall, and I could see the voice acting being a reason for it, but I'm not exactly thrilled about the growth items considering I was fine with Gaiden growths to begin with (but don't really mind that they were improved innately though). It's just a little excessive.

Edited by Tryhard

To play Devil's Advocate here, I think it depends on the content itself.

I mean, let's take Awakening for example. The DLC mostly revolved around maps centered on previous FE games, and the rewards were things that would be useful towards the harder DLC, such as Future Past and Apotheosis. I think a lot of people liked how that was handled, prices aside.

For Echoes, it kind of depends on what the point might be. I mean, the 4th tier classes sound pretty cool...but will there be anything worthwhile to use them for other than making Chapter 6 easier? That's the big thing I think for some people.

Awakening DLC was a collection of grinding maps that allowed you to tackle Lunatic with no regard for strategy, plus some unique character portraits of characters you could recruit through free DLC. And Fates was a game heavily marketed on a crucial choice, only the player must buy the privilege of those other choices one at a time. Revelations, the theoretical "true path" for the story that has the most content, is only available as DLC.

No, I don't think we forgot. And just because this game isn't quite as grimy as Fates in locking away content shouldn't result in us protesting any quieter. We want a better DLC model.

I don't mind the DLC for the most part, but I do feel it could have been done better.

For 1, spread it out a bit more. Getting all this DLC in the space of 2 weeks, not counting the Cipher DLC, is way too fast. At least hold off. Like maybe release DLC biweekly. IMO, they are just asking for too much money in a short space of time (Also IMO, the first batch of DLC should have come with the LE like in Japan).

2. The ultimate class DLC is overpriced AF. €15 for the bundle of 10, €20 if you decide to buy them separately. That is ridiculous if the 'dungeon' is literally just a room with the shrine. At least make me work to promote my units. Like, lets be real, the ultimate class DLC is just another 20 levels to get powerful units for Chapter 6, which can be done without them. I get that they needed to be animated, but the classes should have 50c each or €1 at best.

3. The Cipher characters should have been SpotPass like the FEA characters. It is a very possible risk that people might pass this DLC for simply not knowing who these characters are. At least with the story-based DLC, we know who they are from playing the game. With these guys, unless you know what Cipher is, you don't know these guys at all and they could potentially waste time and money making this DLC. It would have been better if they just made them SpotPass characters to get a jist of what people think of them, then if the reception is good,maybe (Hopefully) introduce the west to Cipher.

I should also mention: Just because something was overpriced in the past, doesn't mean we can't complain that it's overpriced in the present.

The DLC appears to be a rather poor value. It costs more than buying a new game, but contains less content than I expect of a new game.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out a product is overpriced or appears to offer poor value (value being the cost to content ratio). Even if past products may have been like that too.

4 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

I should also mention: Just because something was overpriced in the past, doesn't mean we can't complain that it's overpriced in the present.

The DLC appears to be a rather poor value. It costs more than buying a new game, but contains less content than I expect of a new game.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out a product is overpriced or appears to offer poor value (value being the cost to content ratio). Even if past products may have been like that too.

Pretty much this.

If anything, we have the right to be even more angry cause this is the third time in a row where the DLC was more expensive then it should have been, and the Echoes DLC, by the looks of it, is proving less content than both Awakneing and Fates.

At least Awakening and Fates(barring the missing 2 Maps) has much more quality into it while Echoes really has is only a few story maps and some characters which should've been spotpasses, 4th tier is unneeded and a waste since your already OP maxed out and no Apotheosis map to benefit it at the end of the day it just a small profit for Nintendo for something much grander later on.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

I didn't forget, but with Echoes it's almost $45 with a 30% total discount. I don't think Awakening was so expensive, and in Fates the other two routes were entire campaigns for half that price each.

In Awakening I bought everything. In Fates I didn't even get Revelations let alone DLC. And in Echoes I'm not planning on getting anything, unless those Cipher characters are also fully voiced and have interactions in the story and are not just like the Einherjar in Awakening.

Back in Awakening it looked like most of the DLC were developed after the success of the game and in Echoes that they were an important and prioritized part of the development since the very beginning.

Edited by Lanko

The issue isn't "oh there's DLC", it's that they're being up-front with the season pass and the fact that it's less bang for the buck than with Awakening and Fates. Pair-off the overclasses and give them an actual map and I'd be OK, but nickel-and-diming individual classes is too much.

This might possibly even pave the way for an expanded chapter 6. (help me kill time before FE switch that's for damn sure) or even a chapter 7. Honestly its not really a big deal. Sure it'd help if it was cheaper but you guys really don't need the dlc for the most part. Support the developer in anyway you choose, nowadays shit is just hella expensive for the developer and the consumer. So this kind of stuff is greenlit by the big boys up top

19 hours ago, Dandragon said:

It's just that we are equally outraged

Iunno about you, but I'm not outraged at all. To me, dlc isn't something to get mad over. You don't have to buy it and you could just write a letter or review of disapproval on a survey. Just chill.

18 hours ago, Lanko said:

I didn't forget, but with Echoes it's almost $45 with a 30% total discount. I don't think Awakening was so expensive, and in Fates the other two routes were entire campaigns for half that price each.

While I'm not arguing DLC is great: I'm putting Awakening into perspective:

The Japanese never got packs.

As in I had to pay for twice the game over.

Since they were working on content as it was released.

You were also REQUIRED to purchase the first two maps to buy any further DLC for the first set of 3 dlc.

...and I had to do this for 2 3ds handheld because capture card.

So while I agree with DLC needing to be better, I don't think any of you were aware how lucky you were with Awakening DLC.

There's also the question to consider of exactly WHAT that last mystery season pertains to, which we don't know. Otherwise, I think its too soon to say its not worth how expensive it is, since we don't yet know the full value.

I'll be on watch until then though

I personally liked awakenings dlc, and fates was decent with me, yeah I know it's been pretty overpriced and that drives people off, but as said it's not required, I'm choosing to support the developers with me getting the dlc, plus I'm overall just happy we're getting echoes, as a year ago a remake of gaiden on the 3ds would be considered madness, I'm supporting this entry so I can perhaps get to experience the older japanese only fire emblem games up to modern standards. Plus with us literally getting this a month after Japan, having the dlc be ready like that shows some hard work in my eyes.