4* units that have noteworthy gains at 5*?

i've been super indecisive about which units to promote to 5*, but one thing i think will be a factor is if the unit gains something really unique at 5*, e.g. a new weapon or a brand-new skill (and not just an upgrade of a 4* skill). the one i can think of offhand is merric, who gains excalibur which is effective against fliers. i'm sure there must be others, but i haven't noticed any except for obvious ones like roy and marth. anyone know of any?

Anyone with a legendary weapon is the most obvious thing.  A free level 2 passive or other effect attached to a 16 might weapon is no joke, though some legendary weapons are better than others (Sieglinde is much better than the Binding Blade for instance).

15 minutes ago, geozeldadude said:

i've been super indecisive about which units to promote to 5*, but one thing i think will be a factor is if the unit gains something really unique at 5*, e.g. a new weapon or a brand-new skill (and not just an upgrade of a 4* skill). the one i can think of offhand is merric, who gains excalibur which is effective against fliers. i'm sure there must be others, but i haven't noticed any except for obvious ones like roy and marth. anyone know of any?

Cordelia gains Galeforce. I think the other Galeforce users are only available at 5* in the first place. Likewise, Chrom gains Aether.

The personal special weapons ones are: Roy, Chrom, Marth, MCorrin, Eliwood, Seliph, Eirika, Reinhardt, Merric, Jeorge, Xander, Zephiel, Michalis...

Edited by salinea

Basically anyone with a personal weapon. 

In alphabetical order, those units are:

• Alfonse
  • Anna
  • Chrom
  • Corrin (M)
  • Eirika
  • Eliwood
  • Marth
  • Merric
  • Michalis
  • Reinhardt
  • Roy
  • Seliph
  • Sharena
  • Xander 
  • Zephiel

There are others with prf weapons as well, like Lucina or Ephraim, but those units are only pullable at 5* and aren't relevant to this thread.

4 hours ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Basically anyone with a personal weapon. 

In alphabetical order, those units are:

• Alfonse

There are others with prf weapons as well, like Lucina or Ephraim, but those units are only pullable at 5* and aren't relevant to this thread.

awesome. thanks for the list! it seems like merric is the odd one out. he didn't really have a big role in the games he was in, and i can't imagine he's that popular.

I will always rep for anyone who has a 4* Kagero to upgrade her to 5*.  She's been a really useful Hero that has helped with multiple Arena battles.  Cordelia is also a good unit to use, she does gain Galeforce which may or may not be useful depending on your team.

But like others have said, 5* exclusive personal weapons as well as skills are nice as well.

1 hour ago, geozeldadude said:

are there any other units that gain new skills at 5* other than cordelia?

Reinhardt gets Goad Cavalry, if you want to count that.

3 hours ago, geozeldadude said:

are there any other units that gain new skills at 5* other than cordelia?

New combat skills: Maybe Chrom?

New skills in general: That's most of the cast.  Whether or not it's useful is another story.

Definitely Reinhardt, Eliwood and Xander. After raising them to level 40 star, they've been meh at best.

Upgrading Xander and Reinhardt was the best decision I made. Xander is a special case because for some reason both of his skills can only be maxed out at 5 star (but even then he probably wants inherited skills anyway)

4 star Reinhardt was overshadowed by Ursula anyway.

Reinhardt is probably the units that gains the most with a promotion (Goad Armor and Dire Thunder... DT helps him so hard that he stops being a mediocre unit and becomes a god-like).

Special mention for any character that gets Distant Counter after promotions (Aka: Xander and Camus).

Aside from Personal weapon(Eliwood is the most jarring in that 5* Eliwood gets around 12 extra attack on transition) Life and Death 3 is 5* only

Brave Weapon user got an insane power jump at 5 due to brave mechanic