Lower-Star Heroes have much higher potential?

Junkhead

Having to *5 them aside, the fact that they have three whole stages of levels (and at the very least, 60 levels), they can farm a crapton of SP for Skills. Hell, one could even argue *5'ing them isn't a big deal, since they'll be able to access certain skills anyway.

Another thing, if they're pullable at three stars or four, it usually means you can get multiples of them a lot easier. And then unit merging comes into it. Don't want to bother farming SP for your friendly neighbourhood Gaius? Just build up another, teach him the skills you like, and pass it along to the original :D 

I don't ever promote 4 star characters without getting them to lv 40 for maxed SP. If anything, it feels good to have the 400 SP necessary for their ultimate weapons after their fresh promotion. 

I do believe lower star units have lot more potential than their 5* ones, and that is due to SP.

SP Per Level
1-10: 6
11-20: 12
21-30: 18
31-30: 24

Total SP from Leveling: 590 SP
SP Per Killl: 3 SP (At least 60+ kills, or 180+ SP from kills [Remember higher levels require more EXP to progress.])

Estimated SP Total, 1 -> 40: "770+ SP"
4* units tend to have 300-350 SP over their 3* counterparts (200 for the Weapon, 100-150 for the Skill). However, sometimes that unit may not have a desirable weapon or skill for the planned build, "freeing up SP" for other uses if leveling a lower star character.

So, I am in full support of leveling up characters all the way to 40 for each of the star ranks due to Skill Inheritance and SP gains. Grinding out SP at max level with kills alone sucks. (My Ephraim needs to kill 40+ units so he can get the SP needed to learn Swordbreaker 3 to finish out his build.)
= = = = =
However, the advantage 5* characters have is that they are far easier to merge if one gets duplicates (while there may be plenty of lower star characters, who has the feathers to promote them all?), and merging will improve stats and inherit skills. The problem of course is getting a 5* duplicate in the first place and not wanting to sacrifice that unit for 5* exclusive skills...

TLDR:
1. Train up 3* Units for maximum SP Gain. (1 or 2 * units can be done, but keep in mind they will earn less SP.)
2. Use 4* Units for Skill Inheritance fodder.
3. Use 5* Units and take full advantage of Merge Allies to improve stats and inherit skills. (Use the "770 SP" to learn different skills from other characters, then merge into the desired 5* hero with desirable natures.)

Do note that a +10 3* is just as strong base stat wise as their 5* counterpart. +10 4* = +5 5*

Unless the unit you are using has a personal weapon. It is much better to get a merged lower star rating char.

16 hours ago, Soul~! said:

Having to *5 them aside, the fact that they have three whole stages of levels (and at the very least, 60 levels), they can farm a crapton of SP for Skills. Hell, one could even argue *5'ing them isn't a big deal, since they'll be able to access certain skills anyway.

Like SoySoy said, most of the "upper tier" units are 5 star exclusive anyway, or are at least available at 4 or 5 stars (like Tharja and Nowi)

The 3 or 4 star people I can think of are some grand hero battle units, Nino, Hana, maybe Cherche, Male Robin, and Possibly Palla who are worth 5 stars from their infancy. And of course the starting two (not counting Alfonse).

18 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Well, you can always just grind SP once you hit 5* lv 40, it just takes longer. Currently, 4/5 of the best units in this game are 5* exclusives lol.

Olivia, Ninian, Azura, Reinhardt, Hector

Huh?

I didn't realize how much of the God tier are 5* exclusive

Edited by JSND

6 hours ago, JSND said:

Olivia, Ninian, Azura, Reinhardt, Hector

Huh?

I didn't realize how much of the God tier are 5* exclusive

Reinhardt's not 5* exclusive: unless you're talking about Dire Thunder.

And Olivia can be found at 1 star.

I'd rather save 20k feathers than have more SP to farm. Granted, default 5* characters do run into SP problems but with the ability to inherit skills from duplicate characters, it's less of a problem.

In regards to the "get a 10+ 3* merge", you need 11 of the same character to pull that off, something you aren't likely to do unless you're whaling (in which case, just use your army of 5* characters you silly-head). You'll also be heavily reliant on SI because you can't fully level up your starting kit.

As with most things. Having a balance of both is the best.

If you have everyone start as 5* you'll end up having to SP grind waaaay too long.
If you have everyone start as 3* you'll have a loooong feather draught.

A bit of both is the best. The units I currently switch around for my team has Ryoma and Azura both having started out as 5*. And Hana, Ursula and Frederick all haveing started as 3* units.