Official Art

Fox

I'm big on Fire Emblem's art. Since Blazing Sword, I've been consistently awed over the character art, Path of Radiance's in particular. Which is why, upon seeing the art for Shadow Dragon, I had to double-take. Really? After this gradual progression, this steady arc, I thought the next step would be freaking Da Vinci. Instead, we get leg tumors. I find the degredation from classy, "serious" anime art to campy cartoon drivel unsettling.

So uh, that's what I think. What do you guys think about the drastic change in style?

I don't mind it... Change in OA isn't exactly new in FE and just like everything else in the world: you will either hate it or love it.... or something in between >_> Or neither.

I actually like these when I look at them on their own (and not while comparing it to previous).

Edited by Boo

I would require links to more OA to judge.

Right here.

You can see that the cartoon style is present in all the pieces. It's not simply a case of one poor piece, but rather... several.

EDIT: An addendum. What bothers me are the faces and the disproportioned features (see: malignant thighs). The detail in the clothing remains very well done, and is actually just as impressive as works from previous titles.

Edited by Fox

The mugshots seem to be quite different than that of the official art in certain characters. Camus comes to mind. I detest his official art design.

Edited by ChaosNinji

It isn't too bad on it's own, but at the same time it's not amazing. I admit I was a little "shocked" to see the change, yet I viewed it as something welcoming. I definitely prefer FE6/7 OA than the rest of the Fire Emblem franchise, however I wouldn't want them to repeat that style for a different and unrelated FE game.

I find the degredation from classy, "serious" anime art to campy cartoon drivel unsettling.

Exactly. The artwork has always been one of my favorite things about the series, but this just looks silly.

I personally love the quality and detail of the artwork (I, want, Nina's crown). Like some others though, I'm not really a fan of the style. The clear black outline doesn't really mix well with the realistic shading, IMO, and some of the faces do look a bit weird.

Edited by NomadicTrooperGirl

...So I take it none of you were fans of Ghost in the Shell.

I've never seen GitS. I do like the artwork overall though, since it's just so shiny. Especially Linda's sleek dress... I'm kind of getting used to the faces.

...So I take it none of you were fans of Ghost in the Shell.
I'm guessing you're saying that because you're familiar with the artist (I.E. Heard about him, because of one of his previous works), right? I didn't mind it, but then again, I was in bed when the show came on. I like how he (the artist did the art for Ghost in the Shell) did the FE DS artwork, it has its up and downs, but I don't find the artwork a turn-off.

I really really REALLY don't like it. Compared with the FE9-10 art (which was epic win), this is a disgrace. Everything from the baggy pants of fail, the outlines, the bad shading, the "animu-shinneh-ness" is really grating. FE9-10 was dynamic, detailed, awesome shading (heck, I still drool over them all the time), and generally pretty.

Navvare is the only one I truly don't mind.

But even still, I WANT MY HIGH RES RD ART NOWWWWWW.

My point with the GitS line is that its not just 'some artist' its one of Japan's most loved artists. That certainly it takes the game's OA in a very different direction, but isn't inheirantly bad.

It's too shiny, the dark lines are bad, the baggy pants are bad? Really, not even the slightest of props for the HIGHLY DETAILED clothes that will be exceptionally easy to work from when making fanart with even a 10th of the detail? That people who wish to cosplay from FE games have a bunch of really nice to work from high quality shots that show every detail on the front of Marth's shirt, the leg armor on Camus's outfit. The trim on Navarre's shirt?

The art is GOOD, just not what you're used to. And way more fitting for the title than the original art was (granted, that is retrospect, the old art was very realistic for its time).

Campy cartoon drivel? Serious anime? Duwhat? Looking only slightly different from like every anime art style that ever was isn't by any means, at all, something to be proud of. What cartoon drivel are we comparing this style to? I don't see anything recently made by cartoon makers being anywhere near as detailed or well formed as this, not counting Chun Marth.

i personally loved the official art

i admit, there are some things about it that i don't like about it, but overall it was a nice and refreshing new look. and i like that.

I absolutely hate this game's art style. It doesn't fit Fire Emblem at all.

- Minerva looks like a spoiled brat who didn't get their way instead of a naturally angry person.

- There's no way in hell Linda posed as a guy to escape slavery with the body the artist gave her...

- Oguma looks like a freaking retard but the sand hair is what really did it for me. This totally destroyed all respect I had for the guy.

- Navarre looks like he's on crack. He also now looks like a generic myrmidon, what happened to his brown hair and purple robe?

- Marich looks totally lame with that giant hat of his.

- Camus looks like I didn't have enough time to comb his hair before his story appearance. Now the only thing that makes him look noble is his overly detailed outfit. His facial expression makes him seem a lot younger than he is.

Edited by Arch