Favorite and Least Favorite Characters So Far

Alrighty, then.  I think this thread is as good as any to gather my thoughts on the cast.  I am more than halfway through Act 3, and am mostly focusing on side quests and leveling up certain characters for the time being.

Absolute Faves

• Eclair: She's a real treat.  I'm so sorry, I came up with the name after I thought of that comment, and so it unintentionally became punny.  She's part of a trope that's usually done at least moderately well, and I think she's one of the better examples.  It helps that she has a presence in the story.
  • My son: Mycen really is grandpapa.  Even in spite of Alm and Celica growing up, he's still watching over them and trying his best to guide them.  Also hype as fuck, even though he refuses to join the Deliverance...
    Spoiler

and only joins Alm's side after Alm kills his real daddy and is asked to kill a big, bad dragon god with a blade that killed the other god.  Gee, thanks for helping me through all that strife, old timer.

• Whitewings that become Goldwings when they promote: It's adorable when the elder sisters find Est, and then in her supports with Catria, she's trying to pawn off all this useless crap on her because DRAGONS!  Palla is the big sister I wish I had in FE Fates.  And Catria...  Well, she's only my favorite Whitewing.
  • The current month: Mae is just a fun character to have along.  When she's in a solemn mood, you know things are gonna get serious.  At the same time, she seems to swing wildly in mood.  It's a strange thing, but I do know that I like her.
  • The Mercs with Mouths that don't actually curse all that much, really: Jesse, Saber, Kamui...  You know them.  And I like them all.  Jesse's just the aspiring merc who fumbles a rescue mission, but still tries to be a charmer (and is at least charming to me), Saber's got a cool attitude I can't help but like, and Kamui unintentionally hits on Leon.  What more is there to say?
  • Valbar: It's amazing that a man faced with such horrible tragedy could still march on.  I mean, he's got a very traditional knightly personality, but I find it inspiring that he chooses not to let his losses destroy him.
  • Sonya Blade: Basically what Camilla should've been from a sex appeal standpoint.  Then again, there's actually some thought put into her, as she's intimately involved in a certain element of the story.  But there's virtue in the characters with sex appeal not being coy about it in the way Camilla seemed to have been.

The Lessers

• The Effie who isn't from Fates: Look, I get she's immature and young and all that, but she's the same damn age as the other villagers, and all of them are more likable than her.  I prefer her over Camilla because at least her looks aren't used to justify her being a PoS, but that doesn't mean I like her at all.  I've seen as much of her supports as I can up to the point I'm at, and I still don't really like her.  That includes her and Silque's A support.  Plus, we already got one person who's got a crush on Alm, and she's at least a hundred times better.
  • Franz Fernand: Wasted potential.  I like seeing games get a little political, and so I like seeing class warfare in them as well.  Fernand was an attempt to accentuate that struggle, but that attempt fell flat on its face.  Maybe there's something to be seen in memory prisms or the DLC that'll shed some light on him.  The only thing I can think of that's close to Fernand's classism (at least in the way it's depicted) is Oboro's racism, but with her you get an extended look at the better sides of her as a person through pretty much all her supports, whereas Fernand's better aspects are either non-existent or are probably rare instances that Alm doesn't even experience for himself.  All in all, Clair is a better upper class person than he is, and there are better bigots than him.
  • Rinea: She's just a "meh" character.  Not great, not terrible...  But for someone who's supposed to be fairly major, she's kind of a failure so far.  She seems to be essentially a watered down and less significant Emmeryn, who was already a kind of lackluster character to begin with.  Her role just seems to be to assist in characterizing Berkut, so it's basically another goddamn device character.  Like Thane said, she doesn't seem to have any chemistry with Berkut; how does she love a power hungry man who revels in combat when she herself is a humble woman who winces at bloodshed?
  • Ghost Corrin: Get the fuck out of Valentia, you ephemeral and still poorly written Mary Sue.

Honorable mentions to Leon, Mathilda, a Forsyth to be reckoned with, David Boey, and the lost Knight of Rigel, Seazas.

1 hour ago, SavageVolug said:

I guess I loved how arrogant and indignant he sounded with everything he says whether it's a win quote or otherwise. My favorite line of his is ,"Of course we won. I'M here."

I liked his acting from the moment I selected him on the battle map and he said "Easy pickings" in that arrogant tone.

3 hours ago, Thane said:

I'm busy contemplating whether or not Delthea is a bazooka in human form.

Spoiler

Then that would mean that in the end, she puts a trigger lock on herself and no magic missile was ever fired again.  I unintentionally planted some memes into that comment, whoops.

3 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Camus' tragic stuff really shines more in the Archanea games. His role here with Tatiana is just to supplement the tragedy.

She's more like a flying warship, since she gets Rewarp.

Spoiler

Though if I recall, it's suggested that he abandons Archanea after the second battle with Medeus to accompany her, which means Gaiden was actually a fairly major part of his story.  But yeah, I think if you only played Gaiden/SoV, you probably wouldn't get why he's such a big deal.  Same goes for the Whitewings.

Also, I guess with the warship analogy, she's... uh, disarmed in the ending?  I guess you could say she's just a ruse cruise at that point.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorites: 

Deen: Definitely my favorite character overall, likely because Shura was one of my favorites in Fates and they're pretty similar. I love his first interaction with Celica when he's being recruited (characters giving other characters nicknames is an immediate tick on the like scale for me, lol).

Saber: For all the obvious reasons, Saber is just a total badass. They took the drunk sellsword trope and made him incredibly likeable with how much of a big brother figure he is towards Celica. 

Mae: Sure, I'm still hyper! LET'S GO!

Leon: He manages to be a sweet sassmaster while still being very mature. I adored Virion and Inigo in Awakening so I guess it's no surprise that I'd also like Leon. 

Zeke: He isn't really an /Echoes/ character per se, but I am attached to him and all of his alternate identities from throughout the games, and I still like him here and think he's a very cool character.

An honorable mention for Forsyth because I think his voice actor had a lot of fun with his goofball personality, and I chuckle everytime I hear him say "Ha! Step aside!"

Least Favorites:

Faye: :put_litter_in_its_place: emote from Discord is exactly how I feel about Faye. I mostly dislike her because Silque just wanted a cute friend and she was sbshffjref so rude.

Edited by Flower

43 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I really don't get why people pretend Silque and Faye's A Support doesn't exist, and that people who suck at making new friends don't exist.

I think the A support is very bad and extends far beyond Faye just being bad at making new friends. Faye explicitly says twice that she doesn't want to talk to Silque and that she has no need of their friendship, then she comes crawling back in their A support and Silque just accepts it even though it's completely undeserved.

8 minutes ago, Thane said:

I think the A support is very bad and extends far beyond Faye just being bad at making new friends. Faye explicitly says twice that she doesn't want to talk to Silque and that she has no need of their friendship, then she comes crawling back in their A support and Silque just accepts it even though it's completely undeserved.

As one of the few people who actually even bother to speak up to Faye, I'm not surprised that Silque is that accepting honestly. Could be written better, but eh. After a shower, I've just accepted that it's normal to dislike Faye as a human being, since a person that acts like her in real life wouldn't be popular. Shame that she doesn't have more traits.

8 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

As one of the few people who actually even bother to speak up to Faye, I'm not surprised that Silque is that accepting honestly. Could be written better, but eh. After a shower, I've just accepted that it's normal to dislike Faye as a human being, since a person that acts like her in real life wouldn't be popular. Shame that she doesn't have more traits.

"One of the few people" feels like a strange statement since I doubt supports are indicative of a person's social skills or whatever. I doubt Lukas only talks to Clive, for example. 

There's also a difference between being accepting and being a doormat. I'm sure there are people out there who would accept a friendship that had been denied twice before over the most arbitrary of reasons, but I'm not one of them, and it simply does not sit well with me. 

Faye as a character is completely unnecessary in the first place since Clair fills the role of pining for Alm anyway. I know they said they wanted to add a chick to Alm's party, and sure, that's fine, but why make such a redundant one?

Just now, Thane said:

"One of the few people" feels like a strange statement since I doubt supports are indicative of a person's social skills or whatever. I doubt Lukas only talks to Clive, for example. 

There's also a difference between being accepting and being a doormat. I'm sure there are people out there who would accept a friendship that had been denied twice before over the most arbitrary of reasons, but I'm not one of them, and it simply does not sit well with me. 

Faye as a character is completely unnecessary in the first place since Clair fills the role of pining for Alm anyway. I know they said they wanted to add a chick to Alm's party, and sure, that's fine, but why make such a redundant one?

I think supports are actually meaningful, especially with the passive supports. Lukas only has a convo with Clive, but he has passives with Clair, Forsyth and Python, so he does have some level of camaraderie with his fellow Deliverance members. Faye, on the other hand, is the only Ram Villager that doesn't have passives with Tobin, Gray and Kliff, even though that trio, Alm, Celica and Mycen all share a passive support network. These are intentionally handed out/not handed out, so I think it's some sort of an indicator.

Well, you do you.

Who knows. Maybe something got scrapped and they didn't flesh her out. Maybe all those Redditors had the right idea. Maybe there was executive meddling. Maybe I wrote Faye all along.

4 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I think supports are actually meaningful, especially with the passive supports. Lukas only has a convo with Clive, but he has passives with Clair, Forsyth and Python, so he does have some level of camaraderie with his fellow Deliverance members. Faye, on the other hand, is the only Ram Villager that doesn't have passives with Tobin, Gray and Kliff, even though that trio, Alm, Celica and Mycen all share a passive support network. These are intentionally handed out/not handed out, so I think it's some sort of an indicator.

Does this mean Lukas has got a beef with Mathilda, because they don't give each other bonuses? Is Silque really less sociable than Faye because she can only get support bonuses from her and Jesse? 

I get what you're saying, but some things are just related to gameplay. Even if Faye was a damn social butterfly, I wouldn't have cared if she had remained one-dimensional, unlikeable and boring.

7 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Who knows. Maybe something got scrapped and they didn't flesh her out. Maybe all those Redditors had the right idea. Maybe there was executive meddling. Maybe I wrote Faye all along.

Somehow this is Kibayashi's fault.

6 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Well, you do you.

Passive supports?  Are those the in battle comments and complements that characters give when adjacent units defeat enemies or need to heal?

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Does this mean Lukas has got a beef with Mathilda, because they don't give each other bonuses? Is Silque really less sociable than Faye because she can only get support bonuses from her and Jesse? 

I get what you're saying, but some things are just related to gameplay. Even if Faye was a damn social butterfly, I wouldn't have cared if she had remained one-dimensional, unlikeable and boring.

Somehow this is Kibayashi's fault.

True I guess. I think there's some level of integration, but with how Jesse and Kamui get nothing it's not perfect at all.

Kibayashi wrote 500 pages for Faye. They cherry picked 10 pages.

Just now, Selena4Lyfe said:

Passive supports?  Are those the in battle comments and complements that characters give when adjacent units defeat enemies or need to heal?

Some people give each other support bonuses despite having no conversation, like with Alm and Tobin etc. When you're in the battle forecast with Alm and Tobin is within range, you can see a small portrait of Tobin up on the top left, where talking support partners like Faye and Clair would also be.

Something interesting about Lukas, that is only mentioned in chapter 1, is how he's actually a second rate noble,which is why he can feels sympathy towards Alm and other commonners. It's not really exploited afterwards sadly.

There's no real character I dislike actually, and I may have a bigger list later.

As for the favorites : 

Gray : He's pretty funny, but also really endearing. He and Tobin are clearly friens with Alm, and he cares about him even if they don't live in the same world anymore (that chapter 4 opening conversation was great.). He's also a massive dork towatrds Clair.

Tobin : All his self confidence issues makes him feels really close. He knows he can't surpass Alm, but ries nevertheless. And he's also a great friend.

Clair : She's great. She may seems naive, but she can be quite cunning (her support with Delthea), and she is smarter than she seems. Her relation with Alm is also endearing.

Silque : She doesn't have many conversations, but she manage to be pretty great nevertheless. Her Memory with Jesse was really funny.

Genny : She's absolutely adorable. Her getting excited over her story was great as well.

Sonya : Camilla done right, at least design wise. She's sexy and she knows it (sorrynotsorry), but it doesn't comes as in your face. Her backstory is also great. The fact she's a fantastic unit is just the icing on the cake. I also finds it funny how she complains when she gets strength.

Alm and Celica : I don't have much to add, but they're great lords.

Just one thing about how Faye isn't good because she doesn't have enough supports. That's doesn't hold any water. Once again see Silque. Silque have less story presence, yet we manage to have a more complex vision of her. Or, see Awakening.

I don't have any strong opinion Faye (amazing unit, not really great character.) I don't really think any character is badly written in this game, whch is why opinion can actually varies. Nuklear Delthea  is a damn brat, but it's perfectly undersatndable, since she is a walking weapons of mass destruction. She may actually have far worse, all things considered.

Just completed the game today, thought I'd share my thoughts.

My Favorite Characters: 

1.) Saber - Do I even need to explain why for this one?

2.) Mathilda - While not terribly fleshed out as a character, I enjoyed her relationship with Clive and her warrior maiden persona.  She's also fantastic gameplay-wise; I couldn't imagine doing the final map of Alm's Act 3 route without her.  I'm not a big fan of her epilogue, as it seems contrary to her character, but I can forgive it.

3.) Gray - Gray is one of the few minor characters in a Fire Emblem game that feels real to me.  He cracks jokes, he talks about things normal guys would talk about (family, work, women, etc.), and he feels grounded.  His interactions with Alm and Tobin are quite memorable to me.  Just an all-around fun character.

4.) Boey - Probably not a popular choice, but I found he played the role of foil to Mae quite well.  His quips and gags were all usually entertaining, with only a few falling flat.  I also really loved how in his A-support with Mae, he confesses to her by insulting her.  That part was probably the funniest part of the game in my opinion.

5.) Clair - Honestly, I wasn't that fond of her character when she was first introduced.  She seemed very one-note with the sophisticate thing, and her being the third girl in less then 4 hours (I'm a slow player) to have a crush on Alm had me concerned.  I was pleasantly surprised when she turned out to be more complex than initially presented.  Not much else to say other than the girl grew on me.

Honorable Mention:

1.) Conrad - Don't want to go into spoilers, but I liked what IS did with his character.  He's got a good personality and he fills his role well.  Unfortunately, a certain series of events in Act 4 by Celica sort of diminishes his purpose and ultimately render half of what he does moot.  Speaking of Celica...

My Least Favorite Characters:

1.) Celica - Unfortunately, most of my reasoning for why Celica lands here involves Act 4 story spoilers and I don't want to be that guy.  Being as vague as I can, Celica makes a lot of questionable decisions that feel irrational and regressive to her character as a whole.  I understand what IS was going for conceptually with her story arc in Act 4, but the way it is written and presented is just... it's not good.  Celica is the opposite of Clair for me, as I initially liked Celica but the longer the story went on, the less I sympathized with and enjoyed her character.  I won't go so far as to say she's a bad character, but I personally didn't enjoy the way they handled her.  She was extremely good gameplay-wise, though.

2.) Delthea - I kind of regret rescuing this brat.  I swear every conversation with this kid involves her either spouting arrogant self-praise or bashing her brother Luthier.  Her Act 3 (Or was it Act 4?  Can't remember) base conversation has her basically telling Alm his army is lucky to have her.  This character trope is one I personally am just not fond of.  On the other hand, I spent an hour grinding her up to snuff and she was a fantastic priestess.  Terrible personality, great battle prowess.

3.) Jesse - This guy is so generic.  He's introduced as a carefree womanizer and... well, that's it.  That's his entire character.  Other than a brief mention of his family and telling Saber about a dream for an independent country, he has no other development.  Granted, I didn't recruit Deen, so I'm not sure if that conversation reveals anything.  Regardless, from what I experienced, he is incredibly one-dimensional and I'm not a big fan.

4.) Fernand - I understand what they were going for.  Fernand was a noble who had his family killed by commoners and bears a strong grudge.  He's meant to be a villain who's misguided rather than evil.  I understand the premise.  The execution of said premise, however, is awful.  Aside from one optional memory prism and one line from Clive, nothing depicts him as a nice or likable guy.  Nearly every on-screen interaction depicts a man who is rude, ill-tempered and unreasonable.  It's hard to consider him a morally grey character when they barrage us with constant cases of black.

5.) Faye - This one has been talked about quite frequently in this topic, so I really don't have much else to add.  Needlessly to say, she has a terrible personality but makes for a fine cleric.

Dishonorable Mention: 

1.) Berkut - Berkut is very similar to Fernand, so a lot of what I stated there applies to him.  That voice though...

I decided not to include Zeke or the Pegasus Trio in this list because they featured in previous games and I felt like my rankings for them would be based more on their characters from those games than on their appearances here.

16 minutes ago, Tombstone88 said:

Granted, I didn't recruit Deen, so I'm not sure if that conversation reveals anything.  Regardless, from what I experienced, he is incredibly one-dimensional and I'm not a big fan.

They do, in fact, bring up a tidbit about Jesse's past, but it's not elaborated on at all.

I've beaten the game a few days ago, so I'd say now it'd be a good time to discuss my favorites: 

Top Favorites:

Python: One of my top three favorite characters in this game alongside the next two, but of the three, I'd say he's my favorite. I found all of his dialogue pretty funny, especially when it comes to his sarcasm (i.e. "Wow... that was terrible") and laid-back attitude (i.e. His recruitment dialogue with Alm). I even relate to Python when it comes to that chill-side of him. I mean, I'm generally a hardworker, but I won't deny there are times where I feel like Python and would prefer doing things my own way to the point of feeling lazy and not worrying about the future too much so that I can be more carefree in day-to-day life. I also enjoy his dynamic with Forsyth. The two have contrasting personalities, but you can tell the two click very well. He also became one of my best units in my playthrough, especially towards the later battles.

Forsyth: As Python is the laid-back dude, Forsyth is the energetic go-getter. I mentioned that I relate to Python to an extent, yet I also relate to Forsyth as well. Forsyth is like me as well: a passionate individual in certain settings to the point I want to motivate others to do something (i.e. leading a school crowd during a big sports game to get them to cheer). Lukas and Clive's support also reveal that he can be a very sensitive individual, and I relate to that as well. I really enjoy reading his interactions with Python both within the supports and their memory scene; they click together pretty well. Forsyth also became another one of my best units: a very reliable tank who could even stand up to those pesky witches.

The Masked Knight: This character is quite the spoiler, so I'd think it's best to talk about him within some spoiler tags:

Spoiler

One thing that really draws me to Conrad is that he is two different personas depending on whether or not he wears a mask. While wearing the mask, Conrad is a calm, collected badass ready to intervene during a fight, but when he doesn't wear his mask, he becomes dorky. Usually, I notice many characters still retain the main aspects of their personality when they wear or don't wear masks. Conrad is different because of those two personas he has. He seems to be a very sensitive individual, taking comments and indicators quite literally (just look at how what makes him put on and take off his mask). I'm always drawn to the characters that can be very sensitive of others. My favorite Fire Emblem character, Takumi, is like that, Forsyth too if Luka and Clive's support is anything to go by, and now, Conrad as well. I'm a sensitive guy myself, so I can relate to all of them.

I also enjoyed his backstory. Poor kid was ridiculed when he lived with the other Zofian children because he was a bastard child, but Celcia and her mom were the only two people to treat him with kindness. It's because of that he is attached and dedicated to her, and I like how his attachment to Celica actually feels genuine to that of a sibling and doesn't reach creepy levels (unlike Camilla to Corrin). Another thing I can appreciate is that said attachment never reaches cringey obsessive levels, unlike Faye to Alm. Compared to Faye, he also stands out for having a more fleshed out backstory.

Now, I do admit he is not the best thing to happen in Echoes. I understand the criticisms he receives, and even I will admit he definitely could've done more for the plot. I also wished he had some more support conversations. I think he could've had a support with Boey considering that Celica mentioned Boey reminded her of Conrad, so I could see Boey and Conrad talking about their similarities. While it was unfortunate his act of revealing his identity to Celica was moot due to Celica still offering her soul up to Duma, I appreciate that he at least called her out on it before getting teleported away (he said something like, "Celica, you promised you wouldn't give away your life, remember?), and I like how he gives Saber and Boey some initiative to fight for their lives when they had to deal with the Moghalls.

Conrad was also one of my best units in Celica's route. I managed to grind him up during the Treescape dungeon and promote him before tackling the Jamil map. He handled mages really well thanks to his high Resistance, and Conrad pretty much carried me through Duma Tower with his all-around great stats. In fact, the only Cavalier that outclassed Conrad in my playthough was Mathilda.

General Favorites:

Gray: He's a pretty honest guy and very funny too. His interactions with Tobin were gold. He was also a pretty good Dread Fighter.

Tobin: Another pretty cool dude. He's just as funny as Gray, and I especially like how he dramatically clears his throat before saying "Ummm" when he gets a poor level-up. I can also relate to his insecurities and how he accepts it, as revealed in his fourth base conversation. He was a pretty good Bow Knight too.

Lukas: A calm and collected guy that I definitely admire as an ideal soldier within the Deliverance. I really liked his supports with Clive and how Lukas expresses his doubts with his usual nature all the time only to realize what a valuable asset it is to the army. He was also another very useful tanky unit in my playthrough. Not as reliable as Forsyth, but he still helped me in many situations.

Clair: She can be overbearing with her noble nature of hers, but I loved how she developed throughout the story and we see how she can be quite caring. The fact she wants to learn more about farming while coming from a high-class background speaks to me. Decent unit too, especially against those pesky terrors.

Mathilda: Has a very enjoyable personality all around, and I loved her supports with Clive. Her title as War Goddess certainly lives up to her performance in battle. Definitely the best unit in the game from my experience.

Clive: While not the most standout character, he was a pretty rational guy, and I enjoyed his dialogue throughout the story. He felt human. He was far from my best unit, but it seems like investing those speed points from a late-game fountain along with some lucky level-ups allowed him to achieve an even higher speed than Mathilda to the point he was surprisingly useful in some of the later chapters of my playthrough.

Mae: An energetic girl who has some great dialogue all around. Mae x Boe is pretty cute too.

Boey: Has some great dialogue with Mae, and I enjoyed his development throughout the story. My Boey somehow managed to become speedier than I expected, and he was just as useful as Mae.

Saber: He's pretty badass. I like how he calls Celica "lass" and treats her like a father-figure of sorts. He was also my best Dread Fighter and was especially helpful in the final map.

Leon: An honest man with a sharp tongue, and his attachment to Valbar is pretty sweet and understandable. Quite the good Bow Knight too.

Atlas: He was an enjoyable country man, and I had a good laugh out of his first base conversation with Celica. The rest of his dialogue was great to read through. He was a kickass Dread Fighter with that monstrous Attack stat of his.

Sonya: Not only was she a pretty good mage. She has an interesting backstory and contribution to the plot.

Neutral:

Deen: I like edgy characters. Just look at Saizo. Yes, being edgy is his defining trait, but he had a backstory, a dorky and kind side to his character, and some great depth overall. Deen on the other hand... he has one of my favorite designs in this game, but from all the dialogue he has in the game, he really doesn't show any character outside of being edgy and nothing else. 

Least Favorites:

Faye: I don't think an extensive explanation is necessary at this point. I didn't like her supports with Silque, and what I've read of her second and third base conversations further lowered my opinion of her.

Fernand: Yeah dude, even though the game wants me to feel bad for you just because your whole family was killed in a peasant uprising, I have a hard feeling sympathizing for you when you went as far as betraying your home kingdom just because of Alm's promotion within the Deliverance, and even then, I think you could've had a better reasoning for turning against the Deliverance than "Alm's a farm boy; therefore, I'm out." If his main reason for leaving was more along the lines of, "Why the heck would you make a recently recruited soldier the new leader?", that would've made Fernand more understandable.

Edited by Erureido

On 25.5.2017 at 10:25 PM, Thane said:

I'm busy contemplating whether or not Delthea is a bazooka in human form.

On 25.5.2017 at 10:32 PM, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

She's more like a flying warship, since she gets Rewarp.

Nah, she's a straight up nuke. A nuke that can go off as many times as it likes. Hence why I call her 'lolinuke'.

... I really should stop giving stupid nicknames to my favourite characters / units... That's almost getting embarrassing...

For anyone interested, here's a list of nicknames I came up with. None of them are original or clever in my opinion, but your mileage may vary

Celica - Toyota (because there existed a Toyota Celica at one point)
Alm - Alps meadow (seriously, look it up)
Mae - Bae
Boey - Moey
Genny - Little Miss Invincible
Delthea - Lolinuke (pretty proud of this one, honestly) / pre-Witch Lisette
Faye - Princess Tank
Saber - Mr. Badass
Kamui - Kellam's dad (based on his ending and his facial expression)
Berkut - Sir Shoutsalot
Rinea - Sir Shoutsalot's wife-to-be
Rudolf - Walmart's dad
Duma - Cyclops Grima
Mila - Reason why every pairing is incest, apparently / Everyone's Mom
If, for whatever reason, you would like to use one of these nicknames from now on, please feel free to do so.[/spoilers]

Edited by DragonFlames

Favorites:

Atlas. Probably for no other reason other than his fantastic design, because his characterization is pretty weak, as with most optional characters (sadly).

Kamui. I'm pretty surprised my extreme disdain for Corrin in general didn't end up causing me to second hand dislike him. He's a pretty cool character, and he also ended up extremely powerful on my first run of the game that I unfortunately ended up having to scrap because of stupid decisions.

Gray. Even if he's mostly just comic relief, he's at least genuinely entertaining.

Alm. He's a compelling and very lovable character, and his dub voice actor did a fantastic job at conveying his emotions. Some of the more emotional scenes involving him actually made me feel something.

Least favorites:

Clive. I just find him to be extremely bland in comparison to the rest of the cast, and he really isn't too good of a unit either, at least in my opinion. In my second, actually successful run of the game, he had 188 battles and only 1 win. I'm not even joking.

Faye. I really don't like her, because her whole personality is basically her unrequited love for Alm and nothing else. At least Cordelia had more of a personality outside of her unrequited love for Chrom.

I have to say i enjoed Rudolf a great deal as an antagonist. What he does isnt nice and throws so many people into horrible danger. But he knows he must do this to ensure his goal happens. This is what kind of villain/antag Walhart should have been.

On May 23, 2017 at 0:57 AM, Dolce said:

I'd have to say my favorites are:

• Clair: she's a useful unit especially against terrors and I love her personality.
  • Gray: He and Tobin just have hilarious dialogue! Even though I think he fell for Clair a bit too quickly, I still love him and he's a very useful Dread Fighter. Also, he's voiced by Max Mittelman so personal bias.
  • Leon: Very useful Bow Knight! Especially since archers have such a large range, I love having him snipe things from afar and his relationships are interesting.
  • Atlas is a great unit, especially as a Dread Fighter. Catria is also my favorite of the 3 sisters, always has been.
  • I could go on but I'll just say I also like LukasDelthea, Kliff, and Luthier for personality and utility.
  • I also really like Berkut and Rinea even though they're non-playable. It's probably because Berkut is voiced by Ian Sinclair though.

And my least favorites:

• Tatiana is not a bad unit, especially since I don't have much healers on Alm's side, but I've never liked her since she didn't want Zeke to regain his memories. I never liked the whole love triangle with Camus/Zeke/Sirius in general and my opinion of her suffered because of it.
  • Est but then again, I've never liked Est either and her relationship with Abel. Plus, she's just the weakest of the pegasus sisters.
  • Celica even though her design is gorgeous. Unpopular opinion, I know. She's a very useful unit on her side, but in terms of personality... I just think she's pretty bland and a typical goody-two-shoes, especially given her argument with Alm in Act 3 and how she acts in Act 4 as if she's the loneliest person ever... and actually believing Jedah. I still can't believe she actually believed Jedah.
  • Clive is an okay character but even though he started off as a Cavalier, one of the most useful classes I've found in previous games, he doesn't see much use.

I thought that I was the only one liking Berkut. I loved his appearance and voice, which really made him feel 3d. 

Lukas is honestly my favorite unit on Alm's route because of his personality. I accidentally got him in Heroes as a 5 star and I've loved him ever since.

Sonya is Camilla and Tharja done right.

Faye I like due to how I see bits of me in her. 

The village trio are just hilarious, Leon is my favorite unit in Celica's path because he's so cool, Saber is amazing, and I need to stop because I'll start rambling about the whole cast.

Least favorite? If any.... None really. 

7 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

I have to say i enjoed Rudolf a great deal as an antagonist. What he does isnt nice and throws so many people into horrible danger. But he knows he must do this to ensure his goal happens. This is what kind of villain/antag Walhart should have been.

I strongly disagree. Rudolf's plan is nonsensical and requires freaking prophetic-like precision. Walhart's goals and methods are much easier to comprehend.

God, I don't like being overly defensive of Faye, and I know bringing everyone else down isn't a valid defense for Faye, but one point I've been thinking about for a while is how Clair's a bitch to Gray in their first two supports, but no one ever mentions that. Faye at least turns down Silque's request for friendship as nicely as one could turn down a friendship request, and yet everyone treats it like she spat in Silque's face, whilst laughing manically. The more I think about it, the funnier I find the hate directed at her.

In any case, starting with my least favourites, mine would be Kliff, Gray and Jesse. I felt like Kliff was a pretty boring character, with not much going for him. I may also be biased due to how I made him a mage, and once I started getting more (better) mages he started to fall behind more and more. Gray just rubbed me the wrong way a lot of the time. He was a fine character, he was pretty amusing, but... He just gave me some uneasy vibes, and I don't know why. As for Jesse, I found him very forgettable, and I swiftly forgot the reason he joined the party in the first place. Just too many mercenaries on Celica's side.

For my favourites, I'd say Clair, CatriaFaye, Python, Mae, and Leon. Clair because I liked the holier-than-thou personality of hers, mixed with her genuine kindness. Catria because Catria is my favourite Whitewing sister. I liked her more grounded and serious personality over the other sisters. Faye because despite her obsession, I found it to be well handled. I thought she was cute and I liked how she had a clear and possibly unhealthy obsession, yet was still somewhat grounded in reality... Contradictory. I know. For Python,, I just really liked him in his supports with Forsyth. He wasn't as good an archer as my Tobin, but I still wanted to bring him along in my party, anyway. For Mae I just found her to be a joy, and she brought some great energy to Celica's party. Leon was my best archer on Celica's side... which wasn't hard, since my only other one was when I made Atlas one. I try not to include units as my favourites, just for how great in battle they were, but I found Leon to be an essential part of my party, especially when he became a bow knight, despite sources telling me he would be worse than Atlas. In any case, I also liked his "flamboyancy" and found him to be a very well written gay character.

4 hours ago, Frenzify said:

God, I don't like being overly defensive of Faye, and I know bringing everyone else down isn't a valid defense for Faye, but one point I've been thinking about for a while is how Clair's a bitch to Gray in their first two supports, but no one ever mentions that. Faye at least turns down Silque's request for friendship as nicely as one could turn down a friendship request, and yet everyone treats it like she spat in Silque's face, whilst laughing manically. The more I think about it, the funnier I find the hate directed at her.

In any case, starting with my least favourites, mine would be Kliff, Gray and Jesse. I felt like Kliff was a pretty boring character, with not much going for him. I may also be biased due to how I made him a mage, and once I started getting more (better) mages he started to fall behind more and more. Gray just rubbed me the wrong way a lot of the time. He was a fine character, he was pretty amusing, but... He just gave me some uneasy vibes, and I don't know why. As for Jesse, I found him very forgettable, and I swiftly forgot the reason he joined the party in the first place. Just too many mercenaries on Celica's side.

For my favourites, I'd say Clair, CatriaFaye, Python, Mae, and Leon. Clair because I liked the holier-than-thou personality of hers, mixed with her genuine kindness. Catria because Catria is my favourite Whitewing sister. I liked her more grounded and serious personality over the other sisters. Faye because despite her obsession, I found it to be well handled. I thought she was cute and I liked how she had a clear and possibly unhealthy obsession, yet was still somewhat grounded in reality... Contradictory. I know. For Python,, I just really liked him in his supports with Forsyth. He wasn't as good an archer as my Tobin, but I still wanted to bring him along in my party, anyway. For Mae I just found her to be a joy, and she brought some great energy to Celica's party. Leon was my best archer on Celica's side... which wasn't hard, since my only other one was when I made Atlas one. I try not to include units as my favourites, just for how great in battle they were, but I found Leon to be an essential part of my party, especially when he became a bow knight, despite sources telling me he would be worse than Atlas. In any case, I also liked his "flamboyancy" and found him to be a very well written gay character.

That's actually why I like Leon, too. It's treated as a natural thing, so it doesn't feel as if it was just tacked on for the sake of it being there, but an actual part of his actual character.

Anyway, after beating the game once I can safely say that I STILL like every character in it to a certain degree and that there is no one that lets me want to vomit in disgust whenever they appeared on screen (looking at you, Xander, Takumi, Ryoma, Azura and Forrest). I can, however, now give more opinions on why I like them, so here goes (I'm not going to list everybody. Just seven of my absolute favourites I actually have something to say about):

Alm - He does a great job as a protagonist. He's just the right balance between a peace-loving idealist and a realist who knows that sometimes you have to make sacrifices to gain something. After Awakening's DLC portrayed him as such, I was afraid he was just another war-mongering idiot like Ephraim from Sacred Stones, but I was happily surprised to see that this wasn't the case. I also really enjoyed his occasional sassiness and of course, his relationship with Celica, which is - at last - a natural love story in a Fire Emblem game that I can actually buy into. Haven't seen that since FE7. As a unit, he's fittingly powerful, though somewhat on the weak side compared to other characters, I found. He needed a lot of help a lot of other Lord characters from past FEs didn't. I also like the way he looks. It fits his personality perfectly.

Faye - I am a sucker for the Hopeless Suitor archetype, I have to admit (most likely because I, myself, am one as well). I do think they handled her obsession with Alm well and it feels believable that she would feel that way. I mostly like Faye because I can somewhat relate to her struggle and her unwillingness to be friends with others. Also, she's pretty.
As a unit, she's fantastic. Probably the best of the Villager bunch. If you make her a Cleric and get an A-support with Alm, you have a nearly invincible tank on your hands.

Delthea - Lolinuke. Enough said.
I'm joking, of course. Her being the best magic user in the game (and maybe even the best unit) certainly helps her case, but I also like her upbeat personality and overall demeanor. She has a big mouth, sure, but she knows what she can do and isn't afraid to show it off. That's the kind of self-esteem most of us wished they had. Me included.

Genny - I like her for the opposite reason I like Delthea. I am also a sucker for the shy and introverted type, since I am normally a very introverted person. There is a saying that 'Quiet waters are deep' and I think this fits Genny incredibly well, what with her fondness of older men and subtly implied love of incest stories, between father and daughter no less...
As a unit, she, too, is fantastic. Together with Faye the best Cleric / Saint you can get, even though Tatiana has Fortify and Silque has the best Invoke spell, summoning friggin' Dread Fighters, but you get Genny fairly early, her Invoke is my go to way of baiting Necrodragons on Celica's route and you get her extremely early on, while Tatiana comes in a little late and Silque is incredibly slow and inaccurate (she also gets Invoke pretty late).
Her voice actress is also my favourite in any game ever, which makes every character voiced by her immediately one of my favourites, along with Genny herself just being the cutest thing this side of Nowi helps her out a lot, as well.

Mae - Actually, her and Boey, since they are the Tobin / Gray of Celica's route in that they provide all the entertainment and funny moments, but in Mae's case, she IS the funny moment. I can't help but chuckle at almost everything she says and her ending makes everything all the more hilarious. Me calling her 'Bae' was initially a joke of mine, because of my fondness of her, her name and her entertaining personality, but I made it a habit; I switched hers and Boey's initials to make them 'Bae' and 'Moey'. I WISH this was canon, somehow.
As a unit, she falls a little behind Delthea in terms of raw power, but she is still an incredible powerhouse with her strong spells and strong growths in the right places. Possibly the best Mage on Celica's side.

Saber - His character begins and ends with 'badass'. I like to think he is the Navarre / Zihark / Lon'qu of this game, the badass swordfighter. But, different from the other three, he isn't actually the strong, silent type, but very outspoken and easygoing. Despite that, he gives solid life advice to Celica (I actually love the father-daughter dynamic the two have going on) and her group. His character is a perfect example of why I like Echoes' characters in general: They are all multi-layered and actually FEEL like human beings.
As a unit, he's the opposite of what his archetype would imply: The guy is INCREDIBLY tanky. Like, he ended up with more Defence than freakin' LUKAS tanky.

Lukas - Speaking of Lukas, he also makes the list of my favourites just because of his calm and soothing voice. Seriously, the guy could calm down a coffee-addict on a sugar trip. There's more to it than just that, though. He is also an incredibly nice, down to earth kind of guy, which most people would likely find underwhelming, but I like down to earth people a lot. They are a lot less annoying most of the time. I also like that Lukas is a noble, but doesn't view people 'below' him as lesser, a trait he shares with Clive, whom I also like, but who didn't make the list because as a unit, the guy is honestly atrocious.
He's the go-to physical tank on Alm's side, though you'd probably not want to throw him at Dagons, Fire Dragons or The Creation, because their Breath attacks bypass Defence and since everyone and their mothers run circles around Lukas, he'll be dead in no time.

Other absolute favourites include Celica, Palla, Zeke, Tatiana, Tobin, Boey, Clair, Leon, Mathilda (more for her being a great unit, however), Duma,

The Creation (obvs, look at my profile pic)

and Berkut.

Edited by DragonFlames

58 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I also really enjoyed his occasional sassiness and of course, his relationship with Celica, which is - at last - a natural love story in a Fire Emblem game that I can actually buy into. Haven't seen that since FE7.

Wait, you can buy into two kids falling in love because of destiny over the course of what seems to be a very short time, with their love remaining unchanged in spite of their differences and lack of communication over many years? 

Also, which love story in Blazing Blade are you referring to?

I think Jeddah is a Very good villain, and function well as a Celica mirror image. Both are very devoted to their respective god, but due to the different nature of each god, their method of doing things is completely different. Pay extra attention to the last dialogue with him in the final battle, you can understand from this dialogue he is not evil for the sake of evil, he is just an extremely devoted follower of Duma.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Wait, you can buy into two kids falling in love because of destiny over the course of what seems to be a very short time, with their love remaining unchanged in spite of their differences and lack of communication over many years? 

Also, which love story in Blazing Blade are you referring to?

It just felt... natural, somehow. The characters had good chemistry together. In stories, sometimes we have to accept that love at first sight is a thing, even when in reality, it might not be. Or it might, I dunno. Sorry that I can't explain it better.
The time / distance apart doesn't really matter, I think. If you truly love someone, you'll continue to love them, no matter how long you are apart. That's what I'd like to think, anyway.

Eliwood / Ninian. Though that has more to do with personal taste than anything else. I can see why this is criticised so much, almost to the point of being the go-to thing to hate FE7 for, but I personally still think that it added that extra ounce of tragedy to the overall already tragic plot that made it more memorable to me.

But hey, I like Faye, think that Grima is awesome, don't think Corrin is the worst thing to ever happen to humanity and think that Takumi is the worst character in any game ever made, so what do I know?