How many Free Orbs should there be?

salinea

How many Free Orbs should there be?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. How many Free Orbs per week do you feel the game should give the players?

• 5 orbs or less a Week
    • 10 orbs a Week
    • 15 orbs a Week (about 2 daily orbs)
    • 20 orbs a Week (enough to make one full summon once a week)
    • 25 orbs or more a Week
  2. 2. Do you count orbs reward from Quests and Maps are part of the "Free Orbs"?

• Yes
    • Yes for Orbs from Quests but not from Maps
    • Yes for Orbs from Maps but not from Quests
    • Yes, but not all "Free Orbs" should be from maps/quests
    • No
  3. 3. If Daily Orbs aren't ever back, would you still enjoy the game?

• Yes, as long as there are other sources of Free Orbs (maps, quests, arena rewards, etc.)
    • Yes, because I don't mind putting money in the game
    • Yes, for reasons I'll explain in the comments
    • Maybe/Unsure
    • No, for reasons I'll explain in the comments
  4. 4. What do you mind about the delivery of Orbs in the game?

• Too conditionnal from successfully doing things (arena rewards, quests, etc.)
    • There's just too few of them
    • Lack of reliability. Some times you have two daily orbs, some times it's gone, some times it was the daily quests....
    • How expensive packs are when you put money in the game
    • Lack of reliability of the gacha makes any orb not that valuable
    • Timing of banners release makes planning and saving orbs difficult
    • I don't mind anything about the way the game provide orbs
    • Something else I'll add in the comments

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

A 50% discount on a player's first orb purchase could probably also encourage more otherwise-free-to-players to spend even just a little on the game.

I still wouldn't spend, but that seems fair for those who just want to "dip their toes".

I'm never dipping my toes

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 2 Daily Orbs + quests/events is a good balance. I've spent all my orbs and don't have any new units I want to build. Now I only log in to use my Dueling Swords and collect the log in bonus.

As far as the "orb discount" idea, doubtless it would entice some players but I'm F2P only so it wouldn't matter to me at all (and if they replaced free orbs I'd stop playing completely.)

I don't really care about orbs, I just want something to do, something permanent, not the typical maps like the ones we have now, not the quests "kill 10 units with an armor unit". If they do not give us orbs, that's OK, but let us do something interesting, like making this new 7-rounded mode permanent, not something that we just do once and that's all. They can do something like challenges in Clash Royale, you can play it whenever you want if you have enough gems, the more battles you win, the better are the rewards that you obtain. And from time to time, you have a free try with a special reward, it could be a 5-star character, orbs, special seals, special items, the possibilities are almost unlimited. The rest of the time, we could obtain feathers and as the final reward, a random character (of any stars) or whatever.

So I think the problem is not about lacking orbs, is about lacking things to do. Even if we had more orbs, and more units (other than 3-stars bartre, laslow and the kind), what do we use them for? Just for leveling them up to 40 and then what? I have a bunch of characters at level 40 that I have not use them since they reached that level. If I had more orbs, I would just have more of them, with the same futile purpose. If we had something to use our roster, like the dying units event, then leveling them up could be rewarding, literally. In fact, I have not played for like a week, because I don`t want to be doing the same things once and again. And don't tell me that this is a smartphone game, I know, the point is, every kind of game needs things to do, and having the same to do every week is not funny. They are playing really good the role of "we want to take advantage of people's obsession about wanting the new (and few) repetitive content we release, so they will get frustrated and expend their money". The point is, eventually, people will get tired of this and will stop paying, and then will stop playing. I'm OK with people who pays for it, but don't forget that it's a free to play game, and because of that, most of the players are little expenders and free to play people, and without them, well, whales will need to pay a hundred times what they are paying to catch up the losses.

Something else that I suggest is to create a new currency, like gold or whatever, so you can summon low-star characters or buy other goods in a hypothetical shop.

It's not that there's nothing to do.  It's a matter of creativity.   If I only contented myself to leveling my favorites, I'd be bored.  My goal is THE ENTIRE CAST.  This will take a very long time.  Rather than complaining about "nothing to do", FIND something to do.

9 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I still wouldn't spend, but that seems fair for those who just want to "dip their toes".

Come on in, the water's fine.

10 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

We're skipping the kiddie pool and going in the deep end

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

It's not that there's nothing to do.  It's a matter of creativity.   If I only contented myself to leveling my favorites, I'd be bored.  My goal is THE ENTIRE CAST.  This will take a very long time.  Rather than complaining about "nothing to do", FIND something to do.

Yeah, I've been spending some time poking around my box during the orb drought, and I found that I actually had a couple of +Atk 4* Brave users lying around. Can't wait to train em up, but I have to get Anna to speed first.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I need 60k for Oboro, and about 80k + for my full cavalry team

It'll be a LOOOOOOOOONG while before I'm done with this game. Its not a matter of orbs for me, its just a matter of feathers. Maybe that's why I don't really care about the orbs?

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Come on in, the water's fine.

Eeeehhhh

I think I'll pass for now. Offer me again when I'm dead and I'll probably change my mind

oh wait

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

We're skipping the kiddie pool and going in the deep end

It would be funny if I spent $700 on this game

4 minutes ago, raulgor said:

So I think the problem is not about lacking orbs, is about lacking things to do. Even if we had more orbs, and more units (other than 3-stars bartre, laslow and the kind), what do we use them for? Just for leveling them up to 40 and then what? I have a bunch of characters at level 40 that I have not use them since they reached that level. If I had more orbs, I would just have more of them, with the same futile purpose. If we had something to use our roster, like the dying units event, then leveling them up could be rewarding, literally. In fact, I have not played for like a week, because I don`t want to be doing the same things once and again. And don't tell me that this is a smartphone game, I know, the point is, every kind of game needs things to do, and having the same to do every week is not funny. They are playing really good the role of "we want to take advantage of people's obsession about wanting the new (and few) repetitive content we release, so they will get frustrated and expend their money". The point is, eventually, people will get tired of this and will stop paying, and then will stop playing. I'm OK with people who pays for it, but don't forget that it's a free to play game, and because of that, most of the players are little expenders and free to play people, and without them, well, whales will need to pay a hundred times what they are paying to catch up the losses.

Something else that I suggest is to create a new currency, like gold or whatever, so you can summon low-star characters or buy other goods in a hypothetical shop.

While I think orbs are necessary to keep up with the new toys released, more things to do in game would be make the game more fun. Being able to generate a currency by daily participation for character rolls would keep me engaged.

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

"I like endless grinding so everyone should."

Okay.

Just now, NekoKnight said:

Okay.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, keep it to yourself.

If you're getting bored of the game, leave.

You have options.  Use them.

2 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Okay.

The stamina ain't gonna spend itself right!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Arcanite said:

The stamina ain't gonna spend itself right!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If only it did. Grinding SP to get Renewal 3 on my lv 40 Marth hasn't been the most exciting use of my time.

Speaking of more events, I'll take a side of "Double SP gain" with my order of "2 Daily Orbs", waiter.

Just now, NekoKnight said:

If only it did. Grinding SP to get Renewal 3 on my lv 40 Marth hasn't been the most exciting use of my time.

Homeslice,

Did you do 8th stratum? You get the same amount of SP and you don't have to fight the psychos in 10th. 80% of the time the 5 star unit you're training should be able to kill everyone in the strata regardless of typing (especially with buffs). That's what I did for my Lyn, Nino, Oboro, and Azura XD

2 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Speaking of more events, I'll take a side of "Double SP gain" with my order of "2 Daily Orbs", waiter.

Double SP was awesome, and they know how awesome it was. They don't want to spoil the free to players. They want to bait us in and starve us at the right pace to snooker us into spending money. So while a double SP event would be great, I wouldn't expect it any time soon, especially after the XP event in the gauntlet. 

Spoiler

Usually the exact opposite of what I say happens so maybe we might get it after all

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Homeslice,

Did you do 8th stratum? You get the same amount of SP and you don't have to fight the psychos in 10th. 80% of the time the 5 star unit you're training should be able to kill everyone in the strata regardless of typing (especially with buffs). That's what I did for my Lyn, Nino, Oboro, and Azura XD

Double SP was awesome, and they know how awesome it was. They don't want to spoil the free to players. They want to bait us in and starve us at the right pace to snooker us into spending money. So while a double SP event would be great, I wouldn't expect it any time soon, especially after the XP event in the gauntlet. 

Hide contents

Usually the exact opposite of what I say happens so maybe we might get it after all

Oh, I do but it's not so easy where I can just click autobattle and have a character steamroll the level (level 36 isn't THAT much weaker than lv40). If you get on average 12 SP per victory, that's a long road especially for those more expensive builds.

Honestly, they should've never gotten rid of the Daily Orbs, as well as the Daily Arena Orbs. And right now, we're going through like the biggest Orb drought. Sure, the Arena gets your Orbs but you only get a maximum of 4 Orbs per week. It's not really helping F2P-players, especially since Orb prices are so damn high.

Story time: I've been trying to get Azura since day one. I couldn't get her in the Hero Fest banner. Then Celica's banner releases and i spend all my 60 Orbs and the only good thing i get out of it is a Jeorge (and even then, he's 4-Star). Like, a week later, a banner comes out that has Azura. GEE, I SURE WISH I KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN BEFORE I WASTED MY 60 ORBS!

Another thing they need to do is give your more Orbs based on the level difficulty. I wasted three Orbs completing the final map of Ch.9 on Lunatic and i get ONE Orb in return.

Edited by Armagon

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Another thing they need to do is give your more Orbs based on the level difficulty. I wasted three Orbs completing the final map of Ch.9 on Lunatic and i get ONE Orb in return.

Eh, all of the story chapters are doable without using orbs. It was your choice to spend those three orbs.

10 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Eh, all of the story chapters are doable without using orbs. It was your choice to spend those three orbs.

Obviously, but my point basically was that the Orb rewards for clearing each map should not be the same on all difficulties.

I'll concur with the above and say harder quests should give more orbs. Didn't the "Win 15 10th sanctum matches with no deaths" quests only give 1 orb?

My Thoughts. 

1. How many Free Orbs per week do you feel the game should give the players?

I'm torn on this. I went with 10 orbs a week with this.  Even thou I'm cool and would prefer going with the daily 2 orbs a day for a week format. But looking at this from a business perspective and what you want your player base to do.  Its about balance.  You need to give them enough orbs to use the summon stones but at the same time you need to get them use to using it on a regular basis to avoid orb hoarder which can hurt sales.  So going with 10 orbs a week.  Your willing to risk I can give a player 20 orbs to do a full orb summon.  Which should keep them active enough in the game with giving them new units to play but not enough to be.  I got my final characters I'm done.

2. Do you count orbs reward from Quests and Maps are part of the "Free Orbs"?

No. This is the incentive to have players play outside of daily log in stuff.  Here's your rewards for doing the game objectives that you must earn.  While some are easy others you have to commit to gaining.  Plus you have to look at in terms of reward with what the game give.  Its either orbs, stamina potions, dueling crest, 8 types of exp, 8 types of badges, hero feathers, light blessings,  specific characters, seals, and battle flags.  While each of this are important in their own right.  For a player what is the best goal for them to go for their account and characters.  Beside personal accomplishment, orbs are which can become or can be consider some of these above rewards and can do more listed. So as in game accomplishment orbs are one of them and should not be consider free.  Theirs the prize they give us for playing and winning.

3. If Daily Orbs aren't ever back, would you still enjoy the game?

I would still enjoy the game since it is fun.  While orbs are important their is enough fun content out their for this game. This is a fun Fire Emblem game.  Where outside of quest requirements and a certain enemies.  You can make a team that fun for you a force of nature regardless of how bad they may be. Plus comparing this with another game I started because good friend wanted teammates for his super hero team in dc legends mobile game.  The difference between these two mobile game is night and day.  With what FE heroes give us without the daily orbs and how we can obtain them through quests, community events and first clears.  DC legends on the orb like needed items/currency. Makes me feel like I'm farming a raid boss in an mmo to get the stuff I need to go to the next area of the game. So I think I can survie without the daily orbs but would still prefer them thou.

4. What do you mind about the delivery of Orbs in the game?

While in the above post I said orbs are valuable which they are. I went with lack of reliability of the gacha makes any orb not that valuable.  Ok because of the random factor of the gacha and no system outside of quest for certain few specific characters and map clears. The orb value is decrease in that you can never get what you truely want.  Its doesn't matter if a player have 5 orbs or 999.  If they don't get what they want or worst get something they DESPISE WITH UNHOLY PASSION. The orbs in that sense become worthless.  Where unless theirs a flow of new orbs to keep the player motivated or some type of reward to keep them buying game orbs.  Without those precious orbs you risk losing the player.  so in this sense a good flow of extra orbs especially from daily help counter balance when a player to points of the cacha to keep them playing.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Story time: I've been trying to get Azura since day one. I couldn't get her in the Hero Fest banner. Then Celica's banner releases and i spend all my 60 Orbs and the only good thing i get out of it is a Jeorge (and even then, he's 4-Star). Like, a week later, a banner comes out that has Azura. GEE, I SURE WISH I KNEW THAT WOULD HAPPEN BEFORE I WASTED MY 60 ORBS!

The next part is where you spend your money to get Azura ;)

Its all part of their tactic.

>Orb drought

>Release New Characters

>Run 3 banners at the same time (2 of them have dancer/singer unit in them)

>People waste their free orbs on the first banner

>Throw money on the other two

Why else would you think they're running 3 banners at the same time? 1 has a dancer, 1 has a singer, the other has FOUR new units. This didn't surprise me, because I knew that they'd do something like this at some point. We've already seen it with the Radiance banner and the Hero's fest banner too. Nothing should surprise anyone in these gacha games. Its all fun and pixy dust until we get down into the nitty gritty, and the nitty gritty is the money.

51 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic here....

For the most part, it's probably sarcastic. It's by no means something I'm legitimately suggesting would be a good idea. However, I do genuinely want a personal, unlimited supply of orbs. I trust this clarifies the matter...

This is what's bumming me out.

I'm not a fantastic player. I have a limited selection of characters & the Lunatic quests are pretty tough for me. But that's cool--I'm happy for people with more skill (or better units, or both) to get content tailored to them. I'm happy for them to get extra rewards for being extra awesome. 

But I have to admit, it was easier to have a good attitude when I got daily orbs. Some orbs were out of reach for me but that was ok; I progressed, too, just at a slower rate. Cool. 

I'd keep banging away at the lunatic quests, trying different strategies and combinations, if I could. I think it's fun. Trying and trying until I succeed is engaging--that's the whole fun of the game, right? Except the quests often cost 20 stamina** so if I try three or four times, I might play for... oh, six or seven minutes, failing fast at first and slowly by the end.

So that's it. My stamina's gone & I didn't get either the satisfaction of a reward OR the satisfaction of a good play session. 

FE Heroes is a really fun game. I like it a lot. But I wish I could just pay $10 and play as much as I want, instead of having to deal with stamina. That alone would make the orb problem a lot more bearable; part of why I'm anxious to get new characters is because I only have a few tries at a map before I have stop for a while. 

I'm honestly looking around for something else to switch my game time/attention to. 

** The 5/10 stamina special maps are pretty great, so kudos there. 

Edited by Personette

8 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I'll concur with the above and say harder quests should give more orbs. Didn't the "Win 15 10th sanctum matches with no deaths" quests only give 1 orb?

They at first gave 3 orbs but now they've been made monthly quests so I guess that's why they dropped to 1 orb.  It sucks.

37 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

They at first gave 3 orbs but now they've been made monthly quests so I guess that's why they dropped to 1 orb.  It sucks.

Yeah, completing difficult or grindy quests should come with better rewards.

One orb for lots of hassle is better than no orb at all, though - I mean they could give badges instead :)