Ridiculous Arena Matchups

Sevasmios

I'm not sure if this is me, but I have been getting unbelievably unfair arena matchups, and fairly consistently too. I found myself recently, for example, going against a team 3 of 40 plus with all abilities and all slots full and a lvl 14, with my team of 3 (regular) lvl 40s that do not have all abilities/slots full and a lvl 7 wrys for arena bonus. This is far from the first time this has happened, and I have to wonder how exactly the algorithm is more fair when I regularly come against situations like this, and my streaks are consequently snapped by buffed reindhart and azura teams with crazy stats. Is anyone else seeing or going thru anything like this? 

5 minutes ago, Sevasmios said:

I'm not sure if this is me, but I have been getting unbelievably unfair arena matchups, and fairly consistently too. I found myself recently, for example, going against a team 3 of 40 plus with all abilities and all slots full and a lvl 14, with my team of 3 (regular) lvl 40s that do not have all abilities/slots full and a lvl 7 wrys for arena bonus. This is far from the first time this has happened, and I have to wonder how exactly the algorithm is more fair when I regularly come against situations like this, and my streaks are consequently snapped by buffed reindhart and azura teams with crazy stats. Is anyone else seeing or going thru anything like this? 

What tier are you in?

50 minutes ago, Jedrus Lilac said:

I see... btw any link to how bst, +heroes and SI impact matchmaking and scoring?  Is scoring basically related to just bst?

Matchmaking is directly based on the score of your selected offense team.

Your score is some unknown combination of your base stat total, your merge levels, your equipped inherited skills, and the weapon and movement classes of your characters.

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Tier means nothing for matchmaking, only end-of-season rewards.

Wait, really? I've been seeing far fewer asshole dancer + full SI teams this week than last, and I assumed it was because they all got moved up out of my tier. Guess it was just luck of the draw.

On topic: I see plenty of teams like that in Advanced. Thing is, I can usually beat them. If they have a dancer, I may end up losing a unit, but otherwise it's usually a free no-death match. So, uh, git gud?

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Matchmaking is directly based on the score of your selected offense team.

Your score is some unknown combination of your base stat total, your merge levels, your equipped inherited skills, and the weapon and movement classes of your characters.

Thanks... was already expecting some unknown combinations as raising my bst rating with fury didnt really push my arena score up - just a couple of points

7 minutes ago, Jedrus Lilac said:

Thanks... was already expecting some unknown combinations as raising my bst rating with fury didnt really push my arena score up - just a couple of points

And by "base stat total", I really do mean the "base" part as in "stats without skills (and weapons as those are skills, too) equipped".

Fury now just counts not much differently from any other passive A skill.

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Tier means nothing for matchmaking, only end-of-season rewards.

I don't think that's true. Last season I was facing much easier teams than I am now, and I was also on older maps whereas now I'm on terrain maps. The team is exactly the same with the same skills, only difference being that I went up two tiers.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

And by "base stat total", I really do mean the "base" part as in "stats without skills (and weapons as those are skills, too) equipped".

Fury now just counts not much differently from any other passive A skill.

Oķaaaaay.......

The whole time I though that bst is the sum of units rating. Thought by giving a unit fury my bst would rise by 12 but it didny really show in the arena. So in other words +1 unit will provide way more points as that counts directly towards bst?

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

I don't think that's true. Last season I was facing much easier teams than I am now, and I was also on older maps whereas now I'm on terrain maps. The team is exactly the same with the same skills, only difference being that I went up two tiers.

Maps rotate. We are all given the same maps. The current maps are thought to be more difficult  a team that was easy before can be more difficult right now as the terrain advantages are different.

Edited by Jedrus Lilac

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

The only thing that affects your match-ups is the score value of the opponent's team. Advanced matches, from my data, are always in a range of 10 points (mine from last week were 704-714), and I often see myself matched up against players that have a single-digit tier, but a team comparable to others in their score range.

Just now, Jedrus Lilac said:

Oķaaaaay.......

The whole time I though that bst is the sum of units rating. Thought by giving a unit fury my bst would rise by 12 but it didny really show in the arena. So in other words +1 unit will provide way more points as that counts directly towards bst?

All skills now only count as skills, so Fury 3 (+12 stat points) and Life and Death 3 (+0 stat points) now count for exactly the same in terms of score (though some testing not by me suggests that only inherited skills count and not natural skills).

Merges are raw stats, so those will count for your base stat total, maybe even with a bonus on top (i.e. we don't know yet if 1 merge level is exactly equivalent to 2 points of stats or if it's worth more).

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The only thing that affects your match-ups is the score value of the opponent's team. Advanced matches, from my data, are always in a range of 10 points (mine from last week were 704-714), and I often see myself matched up against players that have a single-digit tier, but a team comparable to others in their score range.

All skills now only count as skills, so Fury 3 (+12 stat points) and Life and Death 3 (+0 stat points) now count for exactly the same in terms of score (though some testing not by me suggests that only inherited skills count and not natural skills).

Merges are raw stats, so those will count for your base stat total, maybe even with a bonus on top (i.e. we don't know yet if 1 merge level is exactly equivalent to 2 points of stats or if it's worth more).

What? You were like 704-714?

Thats not a lot! Considering you are a whale!

May I ask what was your team bst and merge wise?

Btw does anyone know the no.1 high score in arena? Would be cool if nintendo provided more stats about that as well

6 minutes ago, Jedrus Lilac said:

Btw does anyone know the no.1 high score in arena? Would be cool if nintendo provided more stats about that as well

Last week I was running Celica (+0), Ninian (+10), Nowi (+10), and Julia (+9) with no skill inheritance on Celica or Julia. I'm a pretty lazy whale when it comes to arena. Can't even hit 5,000 with those scores.

As for the number 1 score, Whistle likes to brag about it in the arena discussion thread every now and then.

4 minutes ago, Jedrus Lilac said:

If you want a really high Offense score...

Run 3 armored units + 1 bonus hero that fits your team. All 4 of them have to be lv. 40+10 5-star rarity. Do not run any staff users or refresh units. Aether and Galeforce (not sure about the 5-cooldown AoE specials) are the specials of choice for maximizing score despite not being practical in Arena without running refresh units. Run only level 3 skills (ie. Fury 3, Triangle Adept 3, etc.); movement passives like Drag Back and Hit and Run count as level 3 skills. All skill slots (A, B, C passives, special, and assist, may seals, too) must be filled. The bonus hero ideally should be in the color triangle and is an armored unit if possible.

General trend for BSTs:

Armored > 1-range infantry = 1-range flier > 1-range cavalry = 2-range infantry = 2-range flier = refresh unit > 2-range cavalry

8 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

If you want a really high Offense score...

Run 3 armored units + 1 bonus hero that fits your team. All 4 of them have to be lv. 40+10 5-star rarity. Do not run any staff users or refresh units. Aether and Galeforce (not sure about the 5-cooldown AoE specials) are the specials of choice for maximizing score despite not being practical in Arena without running refresh units. Run only level 3 skills (ie. Fury 3, Triangle Adept 3, etc.); movement passives like Drag Back and Hit and Run count as level 3 skills. All skill slots (A, B, C passives, special, and assist, may seals, too) must be filled. The bonus hero ideally should be in the color triangle and is an armored unit if possible.

General trend for BSTs:

Armored > 1-range infantry = 1-range flier > 1-range cavalry = 2-range infantry = 2-range flier = refresh unit > 2-range cavalry

Guess I will continue to just move slowly.

.... very slowly

But thanks for tip

15 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Last week I was running Celica (+0), Ninian (+10), Nowi (+10), and Julia (+9) with no skill inheritance on Celica or Julia. I'm a pretty lazy whale when it comes to arena. Can't even hit 5,000 with those scores.

As for the number 1 score, Whistle likes to brag about it in the arena discussion thread every now and then.

I see. ☺

Technically I feel like some could make more feathers off a lower tier.  When you get high up in the tier, winning 7 in a row without using a lot of batle points gets harder and harder.  And yet, the reward for going up a tier is only ~100 feathers.  What's frustrating to me right now is no one is attacking my team.  I keep trying to switch my rep, but no one bites. 

11 hours ago, Jedrus Lilac said:

Maps rotate. We are all given the same maps. The current maps are thought to be more difficult  a team that was easy before can be more difficult right now as the terrain advantages are different.

If you want to quote multiple people, use the little plus sign next to the word Quote to enable Multiquote.

Normally, this is a warning, but I just yelled at someone, and I'm tired.

What the fck is with me getting fully decked (and even merged) horse emblem teams while only using 3 non-merged/SI'd lvl 40s and lvl 33 Alfonse?

Also fuck that chokepoint map. Esp since I ALWAYS tend to get Reinhardt there.

I'm not that great in the arena, but I think I'm getting better. The only kind of team that I simply can't seem to find a way to beat no matter what is Horse Emblem. They always annihilate me. I also don't have an answer to Nowi, so any team with her is hard to beat.

2 hours ago, Kruggov said:

What the fck is with me getting fully decked (and even merged) horse emblem teams while only using 3 non-merged/SI'd lvl 40s and lvl 33 Alfonse?

Also fuck that chokepoint map. Esp since I ALWAYS tend to get Reinhardt there.

Because Horse Emblem teams are calibrated as a low tier

Horse teams in tight maps like the boat one are just a pain. The same can be said for 3 blade teams + dancer, I find them even more annoying as there's always a Nino drawing back and making your life miserable.