Favorite awakening character?

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Frederick is the only character in the game I really fell in love with. <3

To me, he stuck out like a sore thumb among a cast that's mostly flat and boring, imo. He's polite, charming, and so ironically amusing! The naked Chrom posters, oh my god, Freddy. lol I like how much backstory and characteristics we got on him too. He's super serious and reserved on the outside, but he also has a big softie side as shown when he cries and hugs Henry in their A support. XD He develops a little bit in his supports with Panne and Robin where he finds ways around his fears of gamey meat and wild animals.

He seems somewhat insecure too, as he hides these things from the other Shepherds (he lied about why he didn't want bear meat during that scene at the beginning of the game. He suffers trauma from his past. Do we see many characters who totally have PTSD like that? And I haven't mentioned that he likes exercising, sewing and knitting, collecting rare mushrooms, and making campfires! He's got quite a bit to him! Also, when do we ever see a hunky man like him be into sewing and knitting of all things? His support with Nowi also lightly implies that his mother was very loving and supportive of him. When Nowi cheers Frederick on, he says she reminds him of his mom. How sweet. lol

Also, he's one of the more realistic and reasonable characters in the game. He doesn't trust Robin right away while pretty much everyone else does (...what?), he advises against some of Chrom's decisions (like attacking Valm right after they just finished the war with Plegia. Frederick was right that this was not a smart idea), and he's overall pretty wise.

I tend to have a thing for cavalier knights too. ^^ And he's amazing as a Dread Fighter.

Oh yeah, "Pick a god and pray!" is one of the most badass things ever.

And on top of all that, he's incredibly handsome! My Robin married him every time, no question. <3 I really wish Freddy got more love from the fandom. Thankfully though, people don't really seem to hate him, they're just generally "eh, he's okay I guess."

Wow... I had no idea that Frederick was that awesome. I never used him because he would drain away my Xp and always fell behind. I may need to find an excuse to train him just to get those supports. 

But yeah, he has one of the best quotes in the game.

PICK A GOD A PRAY!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Wow... I had no idea that Frederick was that awesome. I never used him because he would drain away my Xp and always fell behind. I may need to find an excuse to train him just to get those supports. 

But yeah, he has one of the best quotes in the game.

PICK A GOD A PRAY!

I feel like this is why people tend to overlook him, actually. Because he's a Jagen type character and sometimes they just fall behind the others later in the game. So they go unused and their supports and all unseen. Thing is with Frederick though, he has good growths and when you give him a chance, he can shine just as well as everyone else. He may need a Second Seal or two and some grinding, but still. Besides, he actually gained levels REALLY fast when I made him a Dread Fighter. That class also takes care of his res and speed problem while only lowering his strength a tiny bit. No need to worry that his magic is never good enough to use tomes, he can kill everything just fine with a sword or axe. :P

Just for reference though, here are the supports where you can find some of the things I mentioned about him.

Obsession with training and exercise: Tharja

Mention of his mother: Nowi

Where he grew up, fear of wild animals: Panne

Hating gamey meat: Robin

Soft side/bear hug: Henry

Naked Chrom posters: Chrom

The campfires thing is mentioned elsewhere (his unit log description), as is the knitting and sewing (one instance in the barracks while idle, another in a barracks conversation with his child) and the rare mushrooms (another barracks instance where someone asks what Frederick does in his free time).

I also enjoyed his supports with Cherche and Olivia (the latter has some more humor lol). The one with Cordelia is also nice, though it doesn't stand out as much as those others (she's my favorite non-Robin wife for him though).

Oh yeah, I also liked the support with Lissa and there's another tidbit there I forgot to mention: Freddy doesn't know how to relax and she teaches him. XD

Edited by Anacybele

IMO the biggest problem of Frederick is that he drains exp from the others. As a unit, he doesn't have glaring flaws, but, since he's the Jagen and starts promoted, he earns less with kills, so you get less overall exp, which hurts the whole party. Other than that, he's pretty much your standard Cavalier. I think when maxed out he edges Stahl on Def but loses on Spd or something like that.

He's a better pair to paper-thin units than Kellam, too.

Edited by Cerberus87

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I feel like this is why people tend to overlook him, actually. Because he's a Jagen type character and sometimes they just fall behind the others later in the game. So they go unused and their supports and all unseen. Thing is with Frederick though, he has good growths and when you give him a chance, he can shine just as well as everyone else. He may need a Second Seal or two and some grinding, but still. Besides, he actually gained levels REALLY fast when I made him a Dread Fighter. That class also takes care of his res and speed problem while only lowering his strength a tiny bit. No need to worry that his magic is never good enough to use tomes, he can kill everything just fine with a sword or axe. :P

Just for reference though, here are the supports where you can find some of the things I mentioned about him.

Obsession with training and exercise: Tharja

Mention of his mother: Nowi

Where he grew up, fear of wild animals: Panne

Hating gamey meat: Robin

Soft side/bear hug: Henry

Naked Chrom posters: Chrom

The campfires thing is mentioned elsewhere (his unit log description), as is the knitting and sewing (one instance in the barracks while idle, another in a barracks conversation with his child) and the rare mushrooms (another barracks instance where someone asks what Frederick does in his free time).

I also enjoyed his supports with Cherche and Olivia (the latter has some more humor lol). The one with Cordelia is also nice, though it doesn't stand out as much as those others (she's my favorite non-Robin wife for him though).

Oh yeah, I also liked the support with Lissa and there's another tidbit there I forgot to mention: Freddy doesn't know how to relax and she teaches him. XD

Well, I do have a second seal available to me thanks to renown awards in my current file. I may need to figure out a way to fit him in. 

A character I think people overlook a lot is kellam (joke not intended). People don't really  seem to like kellam simply because of his gimmick of a lack of presence. A lot of his supports are actually really nice. I always pair him up with Nowi simply because I think it is a cute pairing, and she is one of the only people that don't forget that kellam actually exists, and kellam deserves that. 

15 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Well, I do have a second seal available to me thanks to renown awards in my current file. I may need to figure out a way to fit him in. 

A character I think people overlook a lot is kellam (joke not intended). People don't really  seem to like kellam simply because of his gimmick of a lack of presence. A lot of his supports are actually really nice. I always pair him up with Nowi simply because I think it is a cute pairing, and she is one of the only people that don't forget that kellam actually exists, and kellam deserves that. 

Nice. ^^

I like Kellam, but I'd like him more if his gimmick actually made sense. How do people not notice a tall dude in a suit of armor? And even then, nobody is really THAT unnoticeable.

2 hours ago, Cerberus87 said:

IMO the biggest problem of Frederick is that he drains exp from the others. As a unit, he doesn't have glaring flaws, but, since he's the Jagen and starts promoted, he earns less with kills, so you get less overall exp, which hurts the whole party.

That's NOT how Jeigans work.  Watch the below segment for a better explanation than I can give.

My favourite is without a doubt Lon'qu. He's just pretty cool and his backstory is interesting. Really, the only problem I have with said backstory is that it's rarely mentioned and that makes his interactions with some of the female characters a bit awkward. Also, I really like myrmidons.

Other favourites are Henry and Inigo. I really like the kinda type Henry is and his critical quotes are my favourites in the entire game. Inigo reminds me a lot of myself personality-wise, especially in his support with his father. Also, he just looks cute.

47 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Nice. ^^

I like Kellam, but I'd like him more if his gimmick actually made sense. How do people not notice a tall dude in a suit of armor? And even then, nobody is really THAT unnoticeable.

If only he would actually become a ninja, no one could stop him

2 hours ago, Refa said:

That's NOT how Jeigans work.  Watch the below segment for a better explanation than I can give.

So, what's your point? A Jagen is there as a help. What I said is that he can't be the mainstay of your army, not that he shouldn't be used when necessary. If Frederick kills everything (which he can perfectly do as he starts with a Silver Lance), your other units will be starved of exp.

I don't think anyone would refrain from deploying Frederick during early game on Hard/Classic and above. But, since he drops quite fast when promoted enemies start to appear, it's unwise to feed him kills that could be fed to other units instead.

Balance in FE as I understand it is that the enemies are equal or slightly stronger than your starting units, and you're given the Jagen as a compensation. This obviously means he's useful, but should be used with caution due to his shortcomings.

Edited by Cerberus87

5 hours ago, Cerberus87 said:

So, what's your point? A Jagen is there as a help. What I said is that he can't be the mainstay of your army, not that he shouldn't be used when necessary. If Frederick kills everything (which he can perfectly do as he starts with a Silver Lance), your other units will be starved of exp.

I don't think anyone would refrain from deploying Frederick during early game on Hard/Classic and above. But, since he drops quite fast when promoted enemies start to appear, it's unwise to feed him kills that could be fed to other units instead.

Balance in FE as I understand it is that the enemies are equal or slightly stronger than your starting units, and you're given the Jagen as a compensation. This obviously means he's useful, but should be used with caution due to his shortcomings.

If you use Frederick like any other unit, he doesn't drain EXP (and since he doesn't double without a pair up, this isn't exactly hard to do either...).  Frederick can also easily be used for the entire game on any difficulty below Lunatic, so saying he drops off is...incorrect.  Obviously you shouldn't solo the game with Frederick (even though you definitely could on any difficulty below Lunatic), but you could use him like any other unit and be perfectly fine.

6 minutes ago, Refa said:

If you use Frederick like any other unit, he doesn't drain EXP (and since he doesn't double without a pair up, this isn't exactly hard to do either...).  Frederick can also easily be used for the entire game on any difficulty below Lunatic, so saying he drops off is...incorrect.  Obviously you shouldn't solo the game with Frederick (even though you definitely could on any difficulty below Lunatic), but you could use him like any other unit and be perfectly fine.

I think that what he was trying to say is that Frederick just falls off because he has less chances to level up and increase his stats than the other party members. By the time you would have access to a second seal, you would already have enough units trained up past him, so it wouldn't be worth it in many circumstances  to train him up then. 

It definitly possible to use him and far from impossible, he might just have trouble keeping up with the rest of the army. 

So just jumping in here again, I do enjoy Frederick as well, and yes he's a Jagen, but on my first playthrough I paired him with Cordelia, and he was useful all the way *without second sealing* on one of my awakening playthroughs *the one I put over 330 hours into* I made him into a paladin as the give him better mobility and better his res stat, and he's a good middle ground between Stahl and Sully, plus on that playthrough I married him to Nowi, I'm not kidding when I say Nah is literally the strongest unit in my army, besides the other manaketes, she's the only other unit with over 400 in stat summary *with dragonstone+ equipped of course*, and Nah has the highest of the Manaketes, so if I wanted to, I'm sure Nah could solo the endgame and I doubt she could solo Apotheosis but maybe the first level or so. So Frederick literally is like the best dad due to that *well besides Chrom passing down Aether and Gaius/Donnel passing down the pegasus knight line to get galeforce, and Male Robin of course*

1 minute ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

So just jumping in here again, I do enjoy Frederick as well, and yes he's a Jagen, but on my first playthrough I paired him with Cordelia, and he was useful all the way *without second sealing* on one of my awakening playthroughs *the one I put over 330 hours into* I made him into a paladin as the give him better mobility and better his res stat, and he's a good middle ground between Stahl and Sully, plus on that playthrough I married him to Nowi, I'm not kidding when I say Nah is literally the strongest unit in my army, besides the other manaketes, she's the only other unit with over 400 in stat summary *with dragonstone+ equipped of course*, and Nah has the highest of the Manaketes, so if I wanted to, I'm sure Nah could solo the endgame and I doubt she could solo Apotheosis but maybe the first level or so. So Frederick literally is like the best dad due to that *well besides Chrom passing down Aether and Gaius/Donnel passing down the pegasus knight line to get galeforce, and Male Robin of course*

I don't mean he's useless without second sealing, he just has less chances than the other units to get good stat ups. The other units you get at the beginning have more levels ups to better themselves with. Given a few lucky levels, I'm sure Frederick can make a good permanent team member without second sealing.

Just now, DisobeyedCargo said:

I don't mean he's useless without second sealing, he just has less chances than the other units to get good stat ups. The other units you get at the beginning have more levels ups to better themselves with. Given a few lucky levels, I'm sure Frederick can make a good permanent team member without second sealing.

What I was trying to say Frederick still had great utility for me without second sealing while everyone else had way more level ups *base and promoting*, plus this is awakening, where exp is endless, honestly to gain levels just stick whoever on Seliphs dlc map on top of a fort and give them plenty of javelins or magic or levin swords, that's literally how I capped EVERY unit in Awakening, keep in mind they all had limit break, very few promoted to dread fighter or bride to give them higher magic and res growths, and I did this with all the DLC units along with the normal Nephenee and Amelia, and if gold is a problem literally spend five minutes on the gold map to kill everything and get the silver card from the weapon map, that makes gold grinding way easier and costs less

23 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh wow, I didn't think my post would spark such a big discussion on just Frederick. XD But at least he's getting attention, I guess! lol

I guess you got your wish, probably not how you would have liked it though...

This suddenly turned into a Frederick thread. I usually just had him ride around with Cherche and let her do the heavy lifting.

Hmm...favorite Awakening character. As you can probably tell it is Lucina. To be honest, I'm not even entirely sure why, but I'll try. I like her story when you dig deep and see the duality to her character. She is strong, and yet she is also vulnerable when it comes to some of the simplest things because she simply never had a chance to learn them. Also, I think she has good chemistry with Male Robin and they quickly became my OTP as it were. It just provides so much weird potential and I think can add a layer to her character as she finally lets herself be selfish. If only Lucina!Morgan got a special support with Chrom. Well, enough of that poorly explained mess.

Honorable mentions go to Chrom, Male Robin, Tiki, Cordelia, and F!Morgan...not the most exciting picks.

On 6/1/2017 at 6:42 AM, Thane said:

Walhart - One of two Fire Emblem villains I can safely say I really like. Too bad his entire arc sort of sucked, but he as a character is still very interesting.

I'm curious, who's the other one?

Edited by Arthur97

4 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

This suddenly turned into a Frederick thread. I usually just had him ride around with Cherche and let her do the heavy lifting.

Hmm...favorite Awakening character. As you can probably tell it is Lucina. To be honest, I'm not even entirely sure why, but I'll try. I like her story when you dig deep and see the duality to her character. She is strong, and yet she is also vulnerable when it comes to some of the simplest things because she simply never had a chance to learn them. Also, I think she has good chemistry with Male Robin and they quickly became my OTP as it were. It just provides so much weird potential and I think can add a layer to her character as she finally lets herself be selfish. If only Lucina!Morgan got a special support with Chrom. Well, enough of that poorly explained mess.

Honorable mentions go to Chrom, Male Robin, Tiki, Cordelia, and F!Morgan...not the most exciting picks.

I'm curious, who's the other one?

It is very nice to see the change in Lucina over the course of the game. While a very strong character, she is also very pessimistic, not beliving that she has done enough and that destiny will find a way back to its course. You get to see her transformation over the course of the game in her supports, and I really like that.

And hey, it doesn't matter if you think your favorites are boring picks, their your favorites.

5 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Don't blame me. lol All I really did was state that he was my favorite. But see, this helps my point earlier. People seem to just let Frederick take a backseat to everything, and without viewing his supports or doing much else with him, they don't see a lot of his character. He has some story presence, but it doesn't establish much of what we learn through supports.

You don't have to use Frederick if you don't want to, not saying you do. You keep him with Cherche as much as you'd like. I just wish more people would give him a chance, that's all.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Don't blame me. lol All I really did was state that he was my favorite. But see, this helps my point earlier. People seem to just let Frederick take a backseat to everything, and without viewing his supports or doing much else with him, they don't see a lot of his character. He has some story presence, but it doesn't establish much of what we learn through supports.

You don't have to use Frederick if you don't want to, not saying you do. You keep him with Cherche as much as you'd like. I just wish more people would give him a chance, that's all.

I will definitely give him a chance in my next playthrough, but that will have to wait until this one is finished

Just now, DisobeyedCargo said:

I will definitely give him a chance in my next playthrough, but that will have to wait until this one is finished

That works! :)

I used him as much as I did on my first playthrough because I chose to marry female Robin to him even before the game came out, truth be told. I noticed in the demo that he was the only one not to trust Robin. I was like "it'd be so ironic and awesome if they got married when Robin's a girl! I'm so doing that." :P And that led to my falling in love with the big cuddly Freddy Bear (that's female Robin's nickname for him, by the way! If you see me use it, that's why. lol She only uses it once and Frederick hates it, of course, but I like to headcanon that she goes back to using it for him if she becomes his wife and because Frederick loves her at this point, he lets her do it. Haha) when I got a lot of his supports and saw him in the barracks.

I also thought he was handsome from the moment I saw him in Awakening's reveal trailers, so that also helped my first impression of him.

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

That works! :)

I used him as much as I did on my first playthrough because I chose to marry female Robin to him even before the game came out, truth be told. I noticed in the demo that he was the only one not to trust Robin. I was like "it'd be so ironic and awesome if they got married when Robin's a girl! I'm so doing that." :P And that led to my falling in love with the big cuddly Freddy Bear (that's female Robin's nickname for him, by the way! If you see me use it, that's why. lol She only uses it once and Frederick hates it, of course, but I like to headcanon that she goes back to using it for him if she becomes his wife and because Frederick loves her at this point, he lets her do it. Haha) when I got a lot of his supports and saw him in the barracks.

I also thought he was handsome from the moment I saw him in Awakening's reveal trailers, so that also helped my first impression of him.

I don't know why, but Frederick looks like he could be Stalh's father. Did you ever think that, or am I the only one who considers this?