F-Zero GX

YokaiKnight

Any of you guys fans of F-Zero GX, or maybe the F-Zero series in general?

I absolutely love the game. I haven't played a lot of video games for months now but it's probably the one game I've spent the most time on. Absolutely addicting, ridiculously fast, awesome graphics, etc.

Anyone else?

• 3 weeks later...

Played it, unlocked everything, loved it.

Sure, it's difficulty can put newbies off easily ( hell I never actually managed to do C. 5 in Very Hard Mode under 40 seconds and I don't plan to try again ), but it's definitely one of the best damn racing games on Nintendo consoles.

Should a new F-Zero for the Wii would come, I think the next step would be to make it playable on Wi-Fi and to bring back the track editor from the 64DD expansion. Also it's maybe just me but I'd like a return to F-Zero X's heavy metal tracks too.

Played it, unlocked everything, loved it.

Sure, it's difficulty can put newbies off easily ( hell I never actually managed to do C. 5 in Very Hard Mode under 40 seconds and I don't plan to try again ), but it's definitely one of the best damn racing games on Nintendo consoles.

Should a new F-Zero for the Wii would come, I think the next step would be to make it playable on Wi-Fi and to bring back the track editor from the 64DD expansion. Also it's maybe just me but I'd like a return to F-Zero X's heavy metal tracks too.

You deserve a medal... or maybe I just suck at racing games. Still have to try the first 3 cups on standard (except the first one since I already did that on expert). Having trouble with chapter 9 too -_-

Edited by Boo

Bought it, got most of the stuff, still love it. GX is one of my favorite GC racing titles, and I eagerly await the announcement of a Wii title.

To change the discussion up a bit, who's everyone's favorite driver in the game? I like using Fox James McCloud.

Mine's also James McCloud.

My favorite driver since F-Zero X is Bio Rex. Everything is better with dinosaurs.

A little behind are Blood Falcon ( he's just so damn good in F-Zero X ), Sterling LaVaughn (aka The Skull), Leon, Draq, Roger Buster, and Zoda.

Finally I usually use Samurai Goroh in the Snes installment. The good Captain is too balanced in F-Zero for me to really enjoy him, but his character is pretty kickass.

You deserve a medal... or maybe I just suck at racing games. Still have to try the first 3 cups on standard (except the first one since I already did that on expert). Having trouble with chapter 9 too

You may want to use custom machines for that. One I recommand early on is the Frost Lynx-G4, although you could swap the Aqua Goose with the Sky Horse for similar results. Keep the Super Lynx until you get the A grip ones, namely the Combat Cannon.

Should you prefer the in game machines...the Mighty Typhoon served me very well in Grand Prix, and so did the Big Fang and the Mighty Hurricane. Go for a 90% Max Speed on most races.

Finally, it's been a long while since I played the Story mode, but even in Very Hard mode, chapter 9's challenge is the track, not the ghost. I usually use a 50-50 setting between Acceleration and Max Speed, though I'd go as fat to say up to 20 % Acceleration is still good. You need to get used to the turns.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I haven't really looked into how the weight and the stats affect the custom machines so I've usually made ones with A ranked stats but I can't seen to handle those well (I think I'm too used to Blue Falcon and Little Wyvern)

Well, the Titan-G4 is the best damn custom booster in the game, period. It gives very high speed to the machine you use no matter what.

For the body, I usually recommend the Sky Horse since I find it easy to control. Some people much more skilled than me use the Dread Hammer with great effect by "shift boosting" ; they basically go off-track slightly with L and R buttons and go back quickly, giving a small boost in speed. Here's an example of one of the best GX players out there. He's using a Dread Hammer/Maximum Star/Titan-G4 setup

Finally, the best cockpit is actually an old AR only item, the Maximum Star, but the Combat Cannon is pretty much the same...you just need to do Chapter 7 in Very Hard mode to unlock it :D which to be honest, isn't that difficult.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Well, the Titan-G4 is the best damn custom booster in the game, period. It gives very high speed to the machine you use no matter what.

For the body, I usually recommend the Sky Horse since I find it easy to control. Some people much more skilled than me use the Dread Hammer with great effect by "shift boosting" ; they basically go off-track slightly with L and R buttons and go back quickly, giving a small boost in speed. Here's an example of one of the best GX players out there. He's using a Dread Hammer/Maximum Star/Titan-G4 setup

Finally, the best cockpit is actually an old AR only item, the Maximum Star, but the Combat Cannon is pretty much the same...you just need to do Chapter 7 in Very Hard mode to unlock it :D which to be honest, isn't that difficult.

Don't think I have any of those parts... All I've done is just beat the Ruby cup on EXPERT and the other 2 only on Novice (haven't tried standard on either).

@Bold: DAMN IT! I struggled with chapter 7 on normal >_<. Guess I'm no good for racing games.

Well you need the right setting. For almost every race I go to 90% max speed and Chapter 7 is no exception. Try to kill Black Shadow, Blood Falcon and The Skull since these 3 are usually always in the top 3, although even guys like LEON, who is known for his shitty AI, can pop up in the 6th+ places. I swear I even finished 3rd behind him and the winner was Samurai f*cking Goroh, another pilot with cruddy AI.

Skip through the lava on the first lap and you may want to use the early mines too. You don't need much energy on your first lap anyway. I usually manage to be in the top 6 after the big jump over the lava even in VH. Kill random drivers if necessary to feed on their delicious souls to resplendish your health a bit, but you better watch out for the Spinners as I like to call them. Pico and Goroh are especially aggressive, but they usually remain around 20th place or so. Bio Rex and Michael Chain tend to stay rather high in the rankings and can mess you up, and don't forget the Blood Falcon/Black Shadow duo ( though once they attacked themselves and killed each other over the pit ^^ ).

My boost pattern is usually simple. Right after I get my whole energy back, I tend to boost 2-3 times ( mostly to stay ahead of incoming racers ) and I save until the big jump where I boost once or twice. Finally I usually spend most of my energy left on the big bridge to avoid incoming crashes from behind, but I still manage to keep some health if I have to make contact with the lava. And the cycle repeats until the 5 laps are done.

Finally if you don't get enough energy ( usually a full tank is recommended ), restart and try again. It sucks but you need practice to be good at this game.

Well you need the right setting. For almost every race I go to 90% max speed and Chapter 7 is no exception. Try to kill Black Shadow, Blood Falcon and The Skull since these 3 are usually always in the top 3, although even guys like LEON, who is known for his shitty AI, can pop up in the 6th+ places. I swear I even finished 3rd behind him and the winner was Samurai f*cking Goroh, another pilot with cruddy AI.

Skip through the lava on the first lap and you may want to use the early mines too. You don't need much energy on your first lap anyway. I usually manage to be in the top 6 after the big jump over the lava even in VH. Kill random drivers if necessary to feed on their delicious souls to resplendish your health a bit, but you better watch out for the Spinners as I like to call them. Pico and Goroh are especially aggressive, but they usually remain around 20th place or so. Bio Rex and Michael Chain tend to stay rather high in the rankings and can mess you up, and don't forget the Blood Falcon/Black Shadow duo ( though once they attacked themselves and killed each other over the pit ^^ ).

My boost pattern is usually simple. Right after I get my whole energy back, I tend to boost 2-3 times ( mostly to stay ahead of incoming racers ) and I save until the big jump where I boost once or twice. Finally I usually spend most of my energy left on the big bridge to avoid incoming crashes from behind, but I still manage to keep some health if I have to make contact with the lava. And the cycle repeats until the 5 laps are done.

Finally if you don't get enough energy ( usually a full tank is recommended ), restart and try again. It sucks but you need practice to be good at this game.

I noticed the Blood Hawk and Shadow thing, it's pretty hard to miss. 90% on max speed... wow, I don't think I'd be able to do well with that setting since I crash often due to all the chaos that goes on around the blue ground.

The lava part I already figured, you've got plenty of energy to live through for the first lap if you know how to avoid the mines... well, that's how I see it anyway.

I usually boost around the blue ground so I get that out of the way and avoid being thrown off by the spinners (it has happened many times >_<). I HATE the incoming crashes near that healing area... one time, I was in 1st place on the 2nd lap with low energy waiting to get some healed when that onslaught of racers literally crashed into me that I somehow ended up OFF the course as if I got lifted up and tossed away.

I don't mind a game needing practice for me to become good at it, the difficulty is why I like F-Zero but I just can't seem to make significant improvement (there is but it seems to happen when I take long breaks from the game >_>). Any tricks/techniques I should know about? Besides snaking, I don't wanna learn that.

Edited by Boo

Well I usually don't go on the slippery surface sinec it's near the void, which means instant death. I've also been hit there by incoming machines and it's not fun at all to get pushed away to your death. Also note that the flipping thing happened to me too. It sucks we're forced to use such a light machine, isn't it? I was actually literally touching the ground with the roof of my car until i fell to my doom, though I still found it pretty cool.

Now tips...usually it's a good idea to boost before zippers. You also get a small additionnal boost if you go to the side of said zipper. You may want to practice on a random track in time attack for that.

Try to often turn with both L and R, especially thes harp turns after the lava field and after the bridge. The first turn is fine with only R.

You may want to destroy other machines to consume your energy. Hopefully you'll come across one with little energy left so you can get the equivalent of a small boost from it. You can also kill nearly anyone instantly if you're both on the big bridge, or maybe even the slippery ice part, but I wouldn't recommend the latter since it can kill you pretty easily.

Definitely try to kill Black Shadow at the start of the race. Usually 2 good hits are enough, but you'll need to know the timing. It's not impossible to beat the race with him alive but it sure adds a lot of challenge.

If you're lucky enough, you may come across mines on your last lap on the last straightway. Use them, you're going so fast it will only give a good boost and even if it kills you, normally you should go even faster.

There's also a few more advanced techniques, but since I haven't played the game in a long while and I didn't even master them in the first place, I can't really help you there.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Alright, I'll take your advice and practice on the sharp turns and killing black shadow... I know how to score the first hit on him when the race starts, I just can't seem to hit him again after I do that. Also, mines really boost your speed? I was avoiding those since they take a chunk out of the energy.

"You may want to destroy other machines to consume your energy."

Did you mean heal or consume?

Oh yeah, F-Zero GX! I unlocked everyone and had them all beat Master Cup, even Diagoroh! (I consider the Silver Rat the worst noncostum machine) I've learned about flying and I also know how to snake pretty well. I'd consider the Fat Shark the best of the noncustom machines, fast, snakes well, is also a great max speed character, and he even has decent acceleration! How can Don Genie lose? My favorite character is Pico, though. The Wild Goose was the first machine I got the hang of. If I try hard enough, I might have what it takes to set world records!