New Banner Coming June 14: New Heroes - Echoes of Mystery

Jave

14 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

And why the hell did a cavalry unit get Drive Def anyways??? It's going to just be replaced for Ward Cavalry on him. LOL

Only if he's put on a cavalry team. 

Besides, you can always feed him to someone else that would want it. 

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

The first two "new character" banners were weird, having mixes of characters from various games and splitting up the associated ones. The later banners haven't followed that pattern.

Every new banner so far has been themed. Two have a sibling relations theme. Two have a seasonal costume theme. Four have a same game theme. In the same way you are coming up with arbitrary rules to produce exceptions of the elements you want to be exceptions, I can come up with arbitrary rules to produce patterns where I want to have a pattern.

10 minutes ago, Othin said:

Of the "new character" banners, out of the four so far that focus on a single game, the first character appearing in the trailer (Karel, Alm, Ike, and Celica) has stayed 5* locked every time. This time around, that's Katarina.

First off, there wasn't a trailer for World of Blazing.

Furthermore, the three most recent same-game themed banners have included the main character (or co-main characters in the case of Alm and Celica) of the game. The fact that those three characters are the first characters that appear in their trailers is only natural.

The fact that they remained 5-star-only pulls is also only natural. Ike is one of the most popular characters in the series, and leaving him 5-star-only keeps the whale money coming. Alm and Celica are the main characters of the most recent game release in the series.

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Every new banner so far has been themed. Two have a sibling relations theme. Two have a seasonal costume theme. Four have a same game theme. In the same way you are coming up with arbitrary rules to produce exceptions of the elements you want to be exceptions, I can come up with arbitrary rules to produce patterns where I want to have a pattern.

First off, there wasn't a trailer for World of Blazing.

Furthermore, the three most recent same-game themed banners have included the main character (or co-main characters in the case of Alm and Celica) of the game. The fact that those three characters are the first characters that appear in their trailers is only natural.

The fact that they remained 5-star-only pulls is also only natural. Ike is one of the most popular characters in the series, and leaving him 5-star-only keeps the whale money coming. Alm and Celica are the main characters of the most recent game release in the series.

There was a Blazing Shadows trailer.

This banner doesn't have a main character like the last three, but Katarina is clearly the most "main" character, being the most iconic of the newly added characters in FE12. Which is the same reason she appeared first here. Her placement in the trailer wasn't a coincidence: she wouldn't have made sense anywhere else, because of who she is.

Edit: Looking back further, the two sibling banners also each have a 5* locked character featured first in their trailers: Ephraim and Eldigan. That's a perfect six for six.

Edited by Othin

45 minutes ago, Othin said:

There was a Blazing Shadows trailer.

I forgot trailers existed before they started giving us skill lists with them.

... Actually, I don't think I've ever seen any of the trailers prior to World of Radiance because I certainly don't recall ever watching the Blazing Shadows trailer.

46 minutes ago, Othin said:

This banner doesn't have a main character like the last three, but Katarina is clearly the most "main" character, being the most iconic of the newly added characters in FE12. Which is the same reason she appeared first here. Her placement in the trailer wasn't a coincidence: she wouldn't have made sense anywhere else, because of who she is.

"Most main character" and "a main character" and "the main character" are three entirely different things. "Most main" doesn't even guarantee you a spot at the start of the trailer because anyone with a brain would probably argue Ninian to be the "most main" character in Blazing Shadows.

I can certainly agree that Katarina is the most main character of the upcoming set, but there's no evidence that that's a good predictor (and even less so after the most main character in each set has been accounted for). After all, Eirika and Seliph can be pulled as 4-star characters despite being the co-main characters of their games, and Faye and Genny are locked as 5-star-only pulls.

I believe there is more evidence that a character's skills and utility as a unit are more indicative of whether they become available as 4-star pulls or not.

Omg, the ploy skills work in an infinite distance. I thought that might have been what it meant but I thought it was too good so I just assumed it would be 1 space.

Panic Ploy can completely shut down Blade Tome set ups and Armor/Flier/Cavalry buff heavy teams.

And Atk Ploy can be set up right from turn 1 with pre-fight swapping. This would allow someone to say, lower Reinhardt's Atk and safely bait him in and kill him on turn 1 with a low Res unit like Hector.

All in all, this banner has introduced a lot of new skills and made extremely rare skills more available. It could potentially shake up the meta quite a bit.

13 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

I just assumed it would be 1 space.

Wording is important. If it were 1 space, it would have said “adjacent foes”. “Foes in cardian directions” doesn’t specify range and thus implies to not have any.

Just now, Vaximillian said:

Wording is important. If it were 1 space, it would have said “adjacent foes”. “Foes in cardinal(sic) directions” doesn’t specify range and thus implies to not have any.

I know, I just thought there would be no way they would add something that good to the game.

They have made wording errors in the past.

17 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

I know, I just thought there would be no way they would add something that good to the game.

They have made wording errors in the past.

The Japanese description says the exact same thing, and those have not yet been wrong.

The balancing factor is that they require one of your stats to be greater than your opponents', and Res and HP aren't exactly the most sought-after stats.

13 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The Japanese description says the exact same thing, and those have not yet been wrong.

The balancing factor is that they require one of your stats to be greater than your opponents', and Res and HP aren't exactly the most sought-after stats.

I really hate how Luke have exactly enough to apply it to every Horse Emblem unit with HP Seals

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I hadn't heard anything about what the Japanese description said prior to right now. 

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The fact that they aren't sought after just makes it more likely that a player will be able to use the skills effectively. Most "optimal" natures for builds have the bane in HP, Def, or Res. All you have to do is put the skills on units with good HP or Res. HP+3 seal can go with Panic Ploy and Fury helps Attack Ploy.

Will the introduction of Attack Ploy affect your decision on which nature to merge your Julia into?

Sorry I'm late.  TC really wants the topic closed, so I'm closing it. ;/

EDIT: Wait, wrong topic. Blame the mod, 'cause it's totally my fault.  Sorry!

Edited by eclipse