So there's actually no point in a vanilla/No Inheritence tier list

Junkhead

1 minute ago, Soul~! said:

Like, everyone and their mother will take advantage of the system. It literally has no point of being there anymore.

I think essencially means: "Which characters have the best stat combination and base build?" or something like that.

Edited by Troykv

With limited resources, if you just want to polish a character's base abilities a bit, you can get a decent idea of what you'll get from the no-SI list, but the SI list is useless. 

3 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

I can see that.

What troykv said is accurate

"Who has the better sets at base" is what they are trying to say, though stats also have something to do with it as well!

17 minutes ago, Othin said:

With limited resources, if you just want to polish a character's base abilities a bit, you can get a decent idea of what you'll get from the no-SI list, but the SI list is useless. 

wow I was so narrow minded to the idea

I mean, if you think about it, it's not like Inheritance tier lists are 300% realistic, so to speak. If anything, it's in a hyperbole and they even make it clear they aren't penalising characters for the costs of said skills (luck factor and opportunity costs).

They're basically 2 extremes. The no-SI list assumes that the player is F2P and can't afford to spend any money on orbs - the F2Per would have to make due with what they are given, especially if they don't reroll. The SI list assumes that time and money are infinite resources so the player would have no problem whaling for specific units.

Edited by Roflolxp54

27 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

On the inheritance tier list I'm refering to, Lucina and Masked Marth are in different tiers. I can't see why.

Masked Marth is locked to Neutral. Lucina gets the advantage of natures that allow her to perform better.

35 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

On the inheritance tier list I'm refering to, Lucina and Masked Marth are in different tiers. I can't see why.

Plus, Masked Lucina has no skills of her own. She costs more to make better.

Edited by Raguna

3 minutes ago, Raguna said:

Plus, Masked Lucina has no skills of her own. She costs more to make better.

This is irrelevant, since the inheritance tier list does not take the cost of builds into consideration.

13 minutes ago, r_n said:

Masked Marth is locked to Neutral. Lucina gets the advantage of natures that allow her to perform better.

I thought the list only considers neutral IVs, and doesn't take +10 units into account.

3 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

I thought the list only considers neutral IVs, and doesn't take +10 units into account.

They mean no actual Boon/Bane.

7 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

Which list are you looking at? The one I look at is the wiki's which does take into account natures

Units are rated by their stats (including boons/banes), skill potential, and important match-ups

In which case MM will be slightly worse just by virtue of missing a stat benchmark on a handful of matches.

4 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

They mean no actual Boon/Bane.

Is that average case, or best IV possible?

The tier seems so inaccurate that perhaps +3/-3 in stats doesn't matter, though.

1 minute ago, Rosetta said:

Is that average case, or best IV possible?

The tier seems so inaccurate that perhaps +3/-3 in stats doesn't matter, though.

+3 speed could be the difference between outspeeding someone to either double or survive, +3 attack the difference between netting a kill and not.

I don't know the specifics of how it's all determined, but I imagine they look at the best set of builds w/ SI and rank on that way. Point is, Lucina can be a little better due to getting a useful nature vs Masked Marth. The wiki list for instance, just separates them by a minor tier shift.

4 minutes ago, r_n said:

+3 speed could be the difference between outspeeding someone to either double or survive, +3 attack the difference between netting a kill and not.

Reminds me of my -Atk Reinhardt... T_T

5 minutes ago, r_n said:

I don't know the specifics of how it's all determined, but I imagine they look at the best set of builds w/ SI and rank on that way. Point is, Lucina can be a little better due to getting a useful nature vs Masked Marth. The wiki list for instance, just separates them by a minor tier shift.

Then I assume the wiki is for whales to build optimal teams, not for the average player who pulled some random +def/-res natures and need guide on skills.

2 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

Then I assume the wiki is for whales to build optimal teams, not for the average player who pulled some random +def/-res natures and need guide on skills.

It's aimed to help everyone out. You're just going to have the weigh the options and figure out for yourself as to what the best choice is for your situation. The Hawkeye builds I see don't make me wonder at all why he's considered he's mediocre, but the one I made is pretty beast for what he's aimed for.

Just now, Rosetta said:

Reminds me of my -Atk Reinhardt... T_T

Taking an average of stats or assuming neutral natures on everyone wouldn't help either, though. You'd still be lacking in areas with a nature like that. The wiki tier list, and likely other big tier lists, being based around a set of useful natures and useful skills to benefit those useful natures is probably the best path. 

An ideal tier list would probably need to account for the performance of every single character's possible natures but that would be both overly granular and kind of a time sink.

So how does the tier labeling work. It doesn't make any sense beyond A. Like, does it go from "High" (A) to just a giant, massive "Mid" section with the B's?

I'm so stangely OCD about those. Unless you're to tell me the game is generally well-balanced and there's hardly any (if any) unusable character.

When I see things like "S" and "+" as tiers, I just ignore it and relabel it in my mind with the top tier being A, the second tier being B, and so on.

I think they include "S" and "+" so the readers do not feel as bad if the character they like is rated C instead of F.

Gamepress's inheritance tier list is a lot cleaner and better than the Wiki's. Wiki's tier lists are a mess.

27 minutes ago, XRay said:

Gamepress's inheritance tier list is a lot cleaner and better than the Wiki's. Wiki's tier lists are a mess.

Huh, Ike and Nowi in Tier 1 while Reinhardt's in Tier 2? Celica at the top of Tier 2 but Tharja way down in Tier 3? Some of these placements are very interesting. I read the explanations, and they make sense, but I'm not sure if I like the philosophy of this list compared to the Wiki's. Having a tier list compare units at the pinnacle of their power (assuming that they can get the best nature they want no problem, etc.) seems to be the best, though flexibility and stuff are interesting angles.

7 hours ago, Soul~! said:

So how does the tier labeling work. It doesn't make any sense beyond A. Like, does it go from "High" (A) to just a giant, massive "Mid" section with the B's?

I'm so stangely OCD about those. Unless you're to tell me the game is generally well-balanced and there's hardly any (if any) unusable character.

Did you already read the rating criteria they give? C is basicly bad, while B means they can do stuff, but get outperformed.

While I don't fully agree with the wiki tier list, I find it good enough as long as you know their criteria. Ranking units lower when they need support to perform optimally is kind of missleading, since while Nino needs more support then Ryoma, she can destroy most teams in arena with that support, while Ryoma cannot.