What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Dancers have their strength because they are a second copy of your best unit and no extra training effort on your part. Which actually makes them rather comparable to Xane, in a funny way.

Dancers aren´t a second copy of your best unit (Indeed, the floor is made out of floor), they have neither the durability and most likely not the movement either, considering FEs best units are either on horse back or a flier. Granted, I don´t know how often FE has posed the problem of pushing through the enemy line, without being able to clean up the enemy remains, which would make dealing with your backline an issue, but considering the problems people have with CQ endgame and "sacrificing" units at the last chapter, or the seeming prevalence of recommending warp cheese for Medeus, I´d assume that such would not be welcomed.

Xane on the other hand, is a massive gigachad for lowering himself to the level of the superior stat having humans and gitting gud with the press of a single button.

And then, even if you could take 20 Haars into Asheras tower or whatever gets taken in there, a Dancer would probably still have more value than some of those Haars, because one of these Haars may want another turn to leverage his mobility, but I don´t know the point at which a Haar would lose value.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

The whole Dancer > Everyone is just a leftover from Efficiency Afficiandos and LTC Planners, a dancer is never better than the best unit available to the player, regardless of whether or not that´s staff shenanigans or giving "High Stat Unit TM" another turn to 1RKO an enemy. Worse to boot, if you have to baby them, because dancing does not for HP growth make, apparently, although they oughta be fit as fuck.

Disagree entirely, Dancers rule in casual play.  Even casuals sometimes need to get a move on fast.  Take stuff like chasing after retreating thieves with a Starstone you need for the good ending in FE12 on the map Phina/Feena joins on. Being able to get extra actions is absolutely huge in making that chase more sane.  Or something like Felix's Paralogue in Three Houses, where even casuals probably want to kill the boss on turn 2 so that they're not babying Rodrigue, and a Dancer really helps.

The point more usually discussed is that your "best" unit can vary turn by turn.  This is where Dancers are *better* in casual play.  An LTC'er might be having a single badass unit take all the XP in some FEs on enemy phase, but if you're building a team (or in a game with harshly scaled XP) casually, then your Dancer gives an extra turn to your archer vs. flyers, to the lowbie you're trying to train up vs. scrubs, to your Staff user when you need healing / support, etc.

Most importantly, your HP score isn't necessarily how fit you are - dancers rarely wear much if any armor!  (Okay, that doesn't explain Vaike / Charlotte, but still...)

2 hours ago, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

Dancers aren´t a second copy of your best unit (Indeed, the floor is made out of floor), they have neither the durability and most likely not the movement either, considering FEs best units are either on horse back or a flier. Granted, I don´t know how often FE has posed the problem of pushing through the enemy line, without being able to clean up the enemy remains, which would make dealing with your backline an issue, but considering the problems people have with CQ endgame and "sacrificing" units at the last chapter, or the seeming prevalence of recommending warp cheese for Medeus, I´d assume that such would not be welcomed.

Xane on the other hand, is a massive gigachad for lowering himself to the level of the superior stat having humans and gitting gud with the press of a single button.

And then, even if you could take 20 Haars into Asheras tower or whatever gets taken in there, a Dancer would probably still have more value than some of those Haars, because one of these Haars may want another turn to leverage his mobility, but I don´t know the point at which a Haar would lose value.

I wasn't really trying to be literal in saying that. Xane is a more literal take on it, and there's definitely a significant difference between the two units, but there is a funny comparison there in utility. In truth Dancers are a variable second copy of your best unit, your second best unit, your third best unit, your staff bot and your experimental project. Not all at one, but on a turn by turn basis.

As for all those Haars, if we're talking *4 refereching Radiant Dawn Herons, then yeah, absolutely. But if it's a 1:1 referesh then you probably are better off with another Haar. A dancer can help one Haar move to a place he couldn't otherwise before, but a whole extra Haar means you have a lot more distance for power projection. That extra Haar can already be where you would have had to move the other Haar to.

On 6/27/2024 at 4:09 PM, SnowFire said:

Disagree entirely, Dancers rule in casual play.  Even casuals sometimes need to get a move on fast.  Take stuff like chasing after retreating thieves with a Starstone you need for the good ending in FE12 on the map Phina/Feena joins on. Being able to get extra actions is absolutely huge in making that chase more sane.  Or something like Felix's Paralogue in Three Houses, where even casuals probably want to kill the boss on turn 2 so that they're not babying Rodrigue, and a Dancer really helps.

Ok? All i meant, if poorly worded for that, is that the opinion Dancer > Everyone else is a remnant of poorly reflected efficiency speak and thoughtlessly regurgitated LTC opinions. Whether that´s true or not *shrug* it IS an opinions thread.

I made no judgement on the usefullness of Dancers.

Ah.  I read that as "Dancers are good in LTCs but suck casually" which, well, see above.  (Although I will agree that for games like Awakening where a casual player may not have memorized reinforcement timings, they get worse.)