What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

Archers should operate on a [Bow] and [Arrow] basis, with bows modifying range and accuracy and arrows modifying damage and weapon effectiveness.

That´s all. 

Interesting idea, though I would worry about how it would be balanced. Like how to not make certain combinations game breaking or having too much overlap between various arrow types.

10 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

Interesting idea, though I would worry about how it would be balanced. Like how to not make certain combinations game breaking or having too much overlap between various arrow types.

My mind is instantly going the legend of Zelda route and wanting Fire, Ice and Light Arrows, but honestly it should work pretty well as a mechanic if it's just iron, steel and silver arrows+a few more. Arrows only have a might stat and (where applicable) an effectiveness type, while the bow has no might but provides hit and range. Of course, the quality of an actual bow would have a huge impact on how strong the impact of an arrow is, but if we use the arrow, the bow and the unit's strength to reach an attack stat you risk devaluing splitting them to begin with. Ideally you'd probably want it so your archer carries just one bow but multiple types of arrows. Though, on the other side of the equation, with bows dealing with accuracy and arrows only having might and effectiveness, you can't balance high power with low accuracy, stronger arrows would be directly better to use than weaker arrows with effective damage multpiler, and, maybe, crit, being the only thing that would differentiate them. Which feels like it would result in archers carrying multiple different effectiveness arrows and dealing effective damage being the main niche of the archer.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Not going to lie, this is a weird thing to worry about, lest ye be a game dev? If it´s fun, use it, if it isn´t, don´t? Methinks, it do be a singleplayer game. I was just trying to make Archers more interesting beyond hurrdurr 2 range attack/Hunters Volley, the rest is just the crunchening of ze numbers.

45 minutes ago, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

Not going to lie, this is a weird thing to worry about, lest ye be a game dev? If it´s fun, use it, if it isn´t, don´t? Methinks, it do be a singleplayer game. I was just trying to make Archers more interesting beyond hurrdurr 2 range attack/Hunters Volley, the rest is just the crunchening of ze numbers.

I mean, I have worked on a game in the past, but I`m not a dev currently. My worry mostly stems from the imbalance leading to a lack of experimentation from players on different combinations. 

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

My mind is instantly going the legend of Zelda route and wanting Fire, Ice and Light Arrows, but honestly it should work pretty well as a mechanic if it's just iron, steel and silver arrows+a few more. Arrows only have a might stat and (where applicable) an effectiveness type, while the bow has no might but provides hit and range. Of course, the quality of an actual bow would have a huge impact on how strong the impact of an arrow is, but if we use the arrow, the bow and the unit's strength to reach an attack stat you risk devaluing splitting them to begin with. Ideally you'd probably want it so your archer carries just one bow but multiple types of arrows. Though, on the other side of the equation, with bows dealing with accuracy and arrows only having might and effectiveness, you can't balance high power with low accuracy, stronger arrows would be directly better to use than weaker arrows with effective damage multpiler, and, maybe, crit, being the only thing that would differentiate them. Which feels like it would result in archers carrying multiple different effectiveness arrows and dealing effective damage being the main niche of the archer.

Not gonna lie, I had a similar thought of going the Zelda route. But I struggle to think of what light arrows would even do, outside of lighting up tiles in a fog of war map, Engage Shine style.

Those are some good suggestions

52 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

Not gonna lie, I had a similar thought of going the Zelda route. But I struggle to think of what light arrows would even do, outside of lighting up tiles in a fog of war map, Engage Shine style.

Those are some good suggestions

Monster effective damage.