Conquest is the most nerve-racking game I've played

Ronnie

I'm on Normal/Classic and I'm still getting so frustrated playing Conquest. I finished Chapter 18 in 2 tries (I lost Silas on turn 1 from a careless mistake so I can't really count that imo) but the process to get there had me sweating and cursing the whole way through.

Here's where half my chapter was spent. Trying to figure out what step to take next to avoid restarting the chapter. Considering I had just missed a 91% hit and my enemy lands a 58% hit further added to my anxiety. And right when I was getting comfortable with Silas and Xander roflstomping the generals in the south, I took some turns to get Niles and Kaze to unlock the chests. However reinforcements show up in the north on Turn 15. Added to that Zola ended up getting more dodgy so I was praying my heart out to the RNG gods to let Kaze, Leo and Beruka finish off the little punk without having to fight the reinforcements. Once again another chapter that took me an hour to complete. It's so exhausting to play Conquest I swear. Birthright had it's struggles on Hard mode and I reset a couple times and but I was able to clear 2-3 chapters a day while in Conquest I'm done after 1.

Edited by Ronnie

13 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I'd argue that Conquest is probably the overall second hardest game in the franchise.

Definitely one of the hardest games that actually has good progression balance that I can enjoy planning my moves unlike bs modes such as Awakening's Lunatic or Radiant Dawn's Hard (though actually was Maniac but localization screwed up). I take it the overall hardest game is Thracia? I heard it was pretty hard.

3 minutes ago, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

Definitely one of the hardest games that actually has good progression balance that I can enjoy planning my moves unlike bs modes such as Awakening's Lunatic or Radiant Dawn's Hard (though actually was Maniac but localization screwed up). I take it the overall hardest game is Thracia? I heard it was pretty hard.

Yeah, #1 is Thracia. Conquest took a lot out of Thracia's playbook when it came to difficult scenarios and objectives. Though Conquest does unique things of its own that make it difficult, too.

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Yeah, #1 is Thracia. Conquest took a lot out of Thracia's playbook when it came to difficult scenarios and objectives. Though Conquest does unique things of its own that make it difficult, too.

I'd disagree, because Thracia is hard for all the wrong reasons, AKA poor game design.

Anyways, if chapter 18 took a lot out of you, wait until chapter 20.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

5 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I'd disagree, because Thracia is hard for all the wrong reasons, AKA poor game design.

Anyways, if chapter 18 took a lot out of you, wait until chapter 20.

You can call mechanics like Fatigue/Capture/Warps/whatever bad if you want, but things like chapter 10 of Conquest(And a number of chapters that people would probably say are major difficulty spikes) look like something you'd see out of Thracia. Thracia did bad things, but I really don't think map design, objective design, or overall scenario design are those things, and those are the things that I see that make Conquest difficult.

Edited by Slumber

In some ways, the higher difficulties of Conquest might actually be harder than Thracia 776. I mean I've never gotten all that far in Thracia but I don't think it had a skill that decreases a unit's HP by 20% after a round of combat, or a staff that halves a unit's max HP for the rest of the chapter (which is sometimes accompanied by a skill that allows infinite staff use) making said unit almost useless unless you have a recover staff on hand, and don't even get me started on the debuffs, or the specific chapter gimmicks that are more of an annoyance than anything remotely fun (looking at you Chapter 20).

So yeah, pretty hard game.

Only a 91% hit miss and getting hit with a 58% from the enemy

When I did Conquest on Classic (Normal) for the first time; Chapters 10, 20, 26 and Endgame were fine and fun. Chapter 24 was the one I found myself restarting the most (I benched Elise after that). Conquest on Normal Classic reminds me of FE 7 if FE 7's non-boss enemies had better stats. Even on casual, Conquest Hard is still pretty damn hard.

20 hours ago, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

FE12 lunatic reverse is by far the meanest thing in the franchise. I probably died more in the prolouge tutorial than the rest of the series combined. 776 just flat stops you from rolling an uberunit, the map structure and curve are actually pretty forgiving with a few painful exeptions.

CQ has a really rediculous number of things to juggle on a turn-by turn basis though, it's a very fair sort of difficulty and has a higher cognative load than thracia for sure.

Edited by joshcja

Anyways, if chapter 18 took a lot out of you, wait until chapter 20

Yeah, FE5's mechanics make this game artficially harder.
Things like no guaranteed hit + miss, random warptiles, OP throne boosts or status affect till the end make this frustrating in some points.

The enemies in this game are really bad throughout the game without a few expectations like Rinehardt or the enemies in the final chapter.

9 hours ago, joshcja said:

FE12 lunatic reverse is by far the meanest thing in the franchise. I probably died more in the prolouge tutorial than the rest of the series combined. 776 just flat stops you from rolling an uberunit, the map structure and curve are actually pretty forgiving with a few painful exeptions.

CQ has a really rediculous number of things to juggle on a turn-by turn basis though, it's a very fair sort of difficulty and has a higher cognative load than thracia for sure.

776 cast is straight up broken lol

10 hours ago, joshcja said:

FE12 lunatic reverse is by far the meanest thing in the franchise. I probably died more in the prolouge tutorial than the rest of the series combined.

I actually haven't gotten past Caeda's map yet.

2 minutes ago, joshcja said:

Shoutouts to literal axe murderers in your army.

i mean one your 3 Jagen is literally a god with 40+ HP and 9 Defense, got Brave Axe in chapter 1, and can use Bows for 2 range, while the other Jagen is an immoirtal god with chapter 1 Brave Lance

Thracia's cast of characters are ridiculously good its amazing

Just now, JSND said:

i mean one your 3 Jagen is literally a god with 40+ HP and 9 Defense, got Brave Axe in chapter 1, and can use Bows for 2 range, while the other Jagen is an immoirtal god with chapter 1 Brave Lance

Thracia's cast of characters are ridiculously good its amazing

This is entirely true yes.

11 hours ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:

Yeah, FE5's mechanics make this game artficially harder.
Things like no guaranteed hit + miss, random warptiles, OP throne boosts or status affect till the end make this frustrating in some points.

The enemies in this game are really bad throughout the game without a few expectations like Rinehardt or the enemies in the final chapter.

When your healing staves have a chance to miss, there's something seriously wrong with the game.

---

Conquest is full of all sorts of gimmicks. . .and as cheesy as it sounds, this is only the beginning of them.  I'd do one chapter at a time, and give yourself a breather afterwards.  If you need help with a chapter, feel free to ask in this topic~!

2 tries only? That's pretty good, my first time through Conquest there was a handful of chapters I spent days on (10, 17, 20) :P:
If you'd like a little bit of advice though one thing I see in that image is that you are pairing up Niles and Selena: it's a very poor choice IMHO, it's basically just the two fastest characters of the game giving each other even more unnecessary speed while what they both need is Strength to improve their offense (and possibly movement for obvious reasons and for that sweet 10 mov Bow Knight!Niles) 

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

When your healing staves have a chance to miss, there's something seriously wrong with the game.

"We already gave them 90 billion overpowered character, and the staffbot are the most overpowered of the bunch, how should we balance this?"

Shouzo Kaga before he fucked up

57 minutes ago, JSND said:

"We already gave them 90 billion overpowered character, and the staffbot are the most overpowered of the bunch, how should we balance this?"

Shouzo Kaga before he fucked up

Its fine they remembered to nerf axes in FE6

13 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

2 tries only? That's pretty good, my first time through Conquest there was a handful of chapters I spent days on (10, 17, 20) :P:
If you'd like a little bit of advice though one thing I see in that image is that you are pairing up Niles and Selena: it's a very poor choice IMHO, it's basically just the two fastest characters of the game giving each other even more unnecessary speed while what they both need is Strength to improve their offense (and possibly movement for obvious reasons and for that sweet 10 mov Bow Knight!Niles) 

I actually managed to beat Chapter 10 in 1 try though it took me an hour as well lol. I did grind in Boo Camp to keep my underleveled units equal to everyone else cause it's very easy to fall behind with the weaker characters having horrible hit rates.

And I see what you mean. I'll have to look up which of my units gives off strength then since Niles has been doing minimal damage compared to Selena.

Did you rush the boss? The fact you didn't kill the maid feel very wrong to me. And I remember you can take your time to kill the reinforcements. Also there isn't too many unpromoted unit here? The chapter is made of promoted units if I remember correctly.

If you plan to play it again on the future, with the right unit and right pair up, it shouldn't be that hard. Camilla is not good here with her weapon disadvantages or low mag. Unless she can kill one hero or mage with dual club every time she attack or you use her savage blow(unpaired) to let other unit instant kill them, she is underperforming here. 

Both Niles and Kaze don't have good strength.There are good to weak the magic unit but not finish them off unless trained well.

Selene and Beruka are not good. Selene lack of strength too and relative low res. Beruka is too slow and have low res.

Xander and Effie should be good units here. They have low res (and xander is very slow) but They should can OHKO the warlocks and be used as wall again heroes to protect you fragile unit here.

23 hours ago, SpearOfLies said:

Did you rush the boss? The fact you didn't kill the maid feel very wrong to me. And I remember you can take your time to kill the reinforcements. Also there isn't too many unpromoted unit here? The chapter is made of promoted units if I remember correctly.

If you plan to play it again on the future, with the right unit and right pair up, it shouldn't be that hard. Camilla is not good here with her weapon disadvantages or low mag. Unless she can kill one hero or mage with dual club every time she attack or you use her savage blow(unpaired) to let other unit instant kill them, she is underperforming here. 

Both Niles and Kaze don't have good strength.There are good to weak the magic unit but not finish them off unless trained well.

Selene and Beruka are not good. Selene lack of strength too and relative low res. Beruka is too slow and have low res.

Xander and Effie should be good units here. They have low res (and xander is very slow) but They should can OHKO the warlocks and be used as wall again heroes to protect you fragile unit here.

I took my sweet time getting to the boss. I had Xander with Effie and Silas with Corrin dealing with the generals because of massive defense and armorslayers so they had to stay south. Kaze has always been my mage killer but my units started in the right so I couldn't find a way to safely travel to the maid without getting hit by an enfeeble in Enemy Phase and then getting another debuff from her daggers during my turn. Instant death by the Heroes and Sorcerers if I had done that. Camilla definitely underperformed but I got lucky when she lowered the Heroes health with her magic. A lot of my units got the shaft during level ups and had shitty resistances so I was screwed either way lol. Maybe next time I play through it, I won't be so RNG screwed and get better stats.

Edited by Ronnie

30 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I took my sweet time getting to the boss. I had Xander with Effie and Silas with Corrin dealing with the generals because of massive defense and armorslayers so they had to stay south. Kaze has always been my mage killer but my units started in the right so I couldn't find a way to safely travel to the maid without getting hit by an enfeeble in Enemy Phase and then getting another debuff from her daggers during my turn. Instant death by the Heroes and Sorcerers if I had done that. Camilla definitely underperformed but I got lucky when she lowered the Heroes health with her magic. A lot of my units got the shaft during level ups and had shitty resistances so I was screwed either way lol. Maybe next time I play through it, I won't be so RNG screwed and get better stats.

I think I used Nyx and Corrin+armor slayer to kill the generals. North Nyx can mostly can only attack hero. Her hp is so bad that she is useless against mage...

The most hard part for me was reaching the duo generals and kill them. I think I used Xander+someone+Elise and Camilla(maybe) personal skills do deal the first attack and finish the first generals with Nyx the gangbang the second one with attack stance.

Before FE: Fates I had only played Fire Emblem and FE: The Sacred Stones for the GBA, casually --I do not think that I played ten chapters. Then I liked the animation and mechanics of FE: Fates and, earlier this year, I got a New 3DS just because of it.

I started with Birthright because every video and forum says so, but I got bored after a couple of chapters and decided to give Conquest a try; I found home. I liked the characters, the tone and the maps way more than those from Birthright. And after a couple of campaigns to learn the basics of Fire Emblem, I moved to Conquest Hard Classic mode (Lunatic is still too demanding for me.)

By the time I started my last campaign, I had already learnt how to level up the characters who needed more care (like Elise, Azura, Archer Mozu or Odin), what to expect from most characters (to focus in those who suit my gameplay and to pick favourites), and how to face most maps. I also play a couple of chapters simultaneously on different saves to test other classes (like Falcon Knight, Kinshi Knight or Songstress for Azura.) I do not use DLC maps to get experience, gold or weapons, and I even deleted a campaign where I had turned Silas into a Lodestar, for it was simply too broken by chapter 10. I do recruit Anna by chapter 8-9, and sometimes get the Grandmaster Seal by chapter 6, but that is it.

I wanted to provide some background because I have nothing to compare Conquest to. It may be hard (even RNG-unfair sometimes), but it's entirely doable after dedication and practice. I do enjoy the challenge and the gameplay. That's why I didn't care about starting over a campaign at chapter 22, after I realised how unbalanced the levels of my then-current party were.

I have yet to finish the game. But I am enjoying the way.

Edited by starburst