Exaliber problem

Kintenbo

Whenever I try to use Excaliber with one of my mages, it just glitches up with jibberish and the character disappears. Is there something wrong with the emulator (I play it off of 1980 games), or is this also a problem in the actual cartridge of the game?

Hmm, I've only heard of a glitch with the Rainarak spell. I can use Excalibur just fine on my Japanese ROM.

Where did you get the patch from?

I'm playing off a website, but it seems that the site is using NEScafe, or something like that.

I'm guessing the patch they used has an issue with Excalibur. I think I've heard of the problem before, but the Rainarok/Ragnarok glitch is more commonly reported (at least in the past, since it was fixed a long time ago).

You'll just have to avoid using tbe spell. At least it's better than the Rainarok glitch, because that froze your game just by viewing the spell name >____<

I think I know that site. I recommend you download a NES emulator and a Gaiden ROM with the English patch. You can get the patch dependant on if you want the game to be Japanese or not (duh <_<).

Why? Because using an emulator is less glitchy. I've encountered quite some glitches when I was playing the game on that site, and I was never able to save my game.

You'll just have to avoid using tbe spell. At least it's better than the Rainarok glitch, because that froze your game just by viewing the spell name >____<

Actually, it freezes just looking at the choices, too. I guess I better just have the mages that learn Excaliber to just stick to thunder when I use them to attack...

• 3 weeks later...

The patch with the excalibur bug was put out something like December 25th 1999...they released a fix shortly after in December 31st 1999.

But Ragnarok had the same bug sadly...I fixed that though.

It is for this reason and this reason alone that prepatched ROMs should be avoided at all costs (you have no way of verifying which version of the patch they used).

Well, I decided that I might as well just use May and Dute to attack, since they didn't learn the spell. Cliff had high defense, so I let him either use thunder, or be counterattacked. It doesn't matter now, I beat the game. Feel free to lock or whatever.