From Behind the Visor

The Blind Archer

I think I've heard of you before, yes?

Minerba:

Her right (sprite's pov) shoulder piece's trim doesn't seem to match with the left piece's pattern quite right. The gray on the top edge of the neck looks kind of out of place surrounded by the dark outline and armor tones.

The contour of the face is too round and for some reason looks too narrow (even though I think its actual dimensions are correct). The hair, though, could use some work. The lightest tone is far too light relative to the darker shades. The color scheme you're using would be acceptable for the level of detail IS uses in-game for GBAFE sprites' hair, but looks horribly out of place when doing high-detail work.

Also, there's something about the phrase "full custom" that I can't completely take seriously for your sprites of FE characters. They look way too much like resized versions of the original sprite that have been drawn over for the GBAFE style. This, on first glance, at least.

Personally, I don't think it's possible to ever have too much detail.

Seconded.

(How do you get your armor trimmings to be so amazingly thin?)

You make them less bright. It is physically impossible to make bright trim on dark armor that thin while still making it look correct.

Seeing as I'm a spriter myself (or, rather, former, since I never have time to do it anymore), you won't be getting just an "awesome" from me. (In fact, that applies to anything that I C/C from anyone.) Adding to that, we had a rule (which I zealously enforced) at FESS basically stating that posts like "Wow! That's awesome!" constituted spam, so people learned quickly to easily explain why they thought it was so awesome or it had the flaws that it did. (And, since I've seen some of your other works before, it's not as if I haven't critiqued them in my head. >_>)

Good times.

End idle chitchat.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh. Since I started doin' em, I've been under the impression that "full custom" meant not using any of the existing GBA sprites for parts and what not. I use Eliwood a fair amount as a size/proportions reference when I do my lines, but that's about it unless the eyes or something start making me go bonkers. But hey, to each his own.

And just so this isn't an entire waste of a post count, here's my current version of that self portrait thing from earlier.

rosemosaiczt9.jpg

Way different now that I've gotten some critique from classmates and the professor, and hopefully a lot closer to what's being asked.

Oh, and just for the heck of it, a stencil/Live Trace of my avatar, just so I have something for my personal photo here.

deilivetraceim9.png

• 3 weeks later...

Seems people only come to this thread for my pixel works, eh? Well, then they'll get that.

Semester's over, so I'm able to get back into the swing of things for a bit. I do indeed plan on getting around to Minerva as soon as I can decipher the in-depth critique finish cleaning up and making travel arrangements. For now, here's someone who couldn't possibly care less about the fate of the world.

kalasov0.png

First off, congratulations for making it through the semester! :)

As for the sprite:

I've noticed this in several of your sprites, so I guess I'll point this out. The far edge of the face is very close to being a straight line, while on official sprites the outline "bends" to a greater degree near the cheekbone. Put in another way, on official sprites the face shape is usually closer to a certain kind of pentagon rather than a triangle. Also, on this particular sprite you're missing a pixel of outline on said area of his face. I don't think FE eyes usually slant that much near the center either. For eyes like his,you might want to have something like a horizontal "L" shape in that area.

The Hair--That area of hair in the middle of his head covered by the two parts of his headpiece feels a bit strangely shaded, like it's bending under the headpiece. You might try darkening that whole area of hair and work from there, since the center section of his hair is behind the headpiece and on a different layer than the rest of the hair. Also, the part of his hair sticking out in the back is a little undefined; I think the bottom part can be darkened more with the darkest and second-darkest shade.

The Body--His scarf looks a little stiff, especially near the top. The folds are a bit too organized or evenly spaced, like they were molded into that shape. The shoulder nearest the viewer has an angular edge, which can be fixed with a few pixels of shading to smooth it out more. Kudos to you for tackling the stripes though--they look pretty neat.

For the self portrait:

I do like your newer version better than the first one. ^^

I'm guessing your focal point is the eye. From there, I can sort of make out a path for the viewer's eye to follow, although the contrast between and within the tiles can get a little distracting. However, I don't know what your classmates and professor said about the portrait, so that's probably just me.

@ Quetzalcoatl: While not on my list at the moment, I'll see if I can squeeze Talim in there in the near future.

@ Blackavar: ... whoo. I must admit, even though it's helpful, I'm still not used to receiving paragraphs of critique at a time. XD

That being said, I currently agree with you on most of your critique, save for the shoulder. If you look here, you can see that his sleeves puff out a fair amount; I was trying to capture that. I'll take it into consideration, though, and edit my revised version into this post once I've got it.

@ Quetzalcoatl: While not on my list at the moment, I'll see if I can squeeze Talim in there in the near future.

@ Blackavar: ... whoo. I must admit, even though it's helpful, I'm still not used to receiving paragraphs of critique at a time. XD

That being said, I currently agree with you on most of your critique, save for the shoulder. If you look here, you can see that his sleeves puff out a fair amount; I was trying to capture that. I'll take it into consideration, though, and edit my revised version into this post once I've got it.

Alright, well if you do make her, pm me cause sometimes I forget to check. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

The fight.

Pit.png

It is on.

Thanks to Blackavar for giving me some pointers and advice on this one in a PM convo, especially on the wings and the scarf (or whatever it is that Pit wears in Brawl). Also, I sent it to the recipient already, but I made this for the Secret Santa thing we started a little while ago, so I figure that it's safe to post it here now. :P

The fight.

Pit.png

It is on.

Thanks to Blackavar for giving me some pointers and advice on this one in a PM convo, especially on the wings and the scarf (or whatever it is that Pit wears in Brawl). Also, I sent it to the recipient already, but I made this for the Secret Santa thing we started a little while ago, so I figure that it's safe to post it here now. :P

Awesome, just awesome.

Way to go, Archer. ^^

Seems people only come to this thread for my pixel works, eh? Well, then they'll get that.

Semester's over, so I'm able to get back into the swing of things for a bit. I do indeed plan on getting around to Minerva as soon as I can decipher the in-depth critique finish cleaning up and making travel arrangements. For now, here's someone who couldn't possibly care less about the fate of the world.

kalasov0.png

ZOMG!! KALAS! <3<3<3

Anyway, it looks great! But the eyes seem a little too high to me..

The fight.

Pit.png

It is on.

Yay Pit~

XD

Hm. PM me with what you've got in mind about for 'em, and I'll make my decision there.

... when suddenly, a challenger appears!

micaiahfz1.png

I... hate... eyes...

XD

Hmm...it's great, The eyes are nice, but the ear seems a little small. And the heads seems a little big. I love the hair though.

BTW, how long does it usually take you to make these?

Hm. PM me with what you've got in mind about for 'em, and I'll make my decision there.

... when suddenly, a challenger appears!

micaiahfz1.png

I... hate... eyes...

hmm i really like the hair! best Micaiah hair spriting ive seen so far...also i dig the hand in there too...the eyes are nice..i cant see anything wrong there

• 2 months later...

Eh, I find anything that is "arty" sort of hard to comment on.

I think Beowulf's right arm is a bit skinny-looking, and the breastplate is much too rounded. In the reference it has a bit of an elongated U shape. Otherwise, very good, I like it, except now I think he looks a bit too much like Holyn.

It's that time again. What time you ask? Time to point out the things I missed on my next full custom mug!

hildewipqt5.png

"Fall before the flag of Wolfkrone!"

It's still very much a WIP; especially the near shoulder. Can't seem to get the angle down right. >>

You play SC4? Any good at it?

Moreover, if you make a full animation of her (Sword and Spear), you DO deserve to be bowed as a demi-god of sorts.

I'm sure you're very proud and jealous of this one, aren't you? I would be too. Hilde, sincerely, is meh, but her design is just so lovely. And you managed to almost perfectly whittle it down to GBA scale.

Lastly, try making her 2P outfit? That's the best one.

I've played a bit of SC4 at a pals place when it came out, but haven't touched it since. It's definitely on my must-get list once I have a PS3, though. I found that I like Hilde, since she brought a new play style to the table and is probably the only female character in the SC series that isn't wearing a skimpy outfit.

Dunno if I'll be getting around to battle sheets of 'er, but I might make her 2P outfit eventually.

Edited by The Blind Archer

• 3 months later...
Huh. Looks like I was hit pretty hard by that server thing as well.

... eh, too lazy to figure out what I posted between then and now, so you get some Toon Link instead.

ToonLink.png

Heh heh, that's really pro.