Create a Skill

Hero_Lucina

2 hours ago, XRay said:

With Chrom: Crowned Exalt getting 180 BST effect, I think it is pretty reasonable to give a bump to Donnel's B Duel Infantry effect.

In that case, bump up the 170 stat total to 180 instead of replacing HP+5 with HP/Atk 2.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

In that case, bump up the 170 stat total to 180 instead of replacing HP+5 with HP/Atk 2.

Atk+2 is more useful though outside of Coliseum though.

Just now, XRay said:

Atk+2 is more useful though outside of Coliseum though.

I'm not arguing about how useful the effect is because you can always just argue to replace HP+5 with Attack+3 or Fierce Stance 3 or Atk/Def Solo 3 and go all-in.

I'm arguing about how weird it is to replace that particular part of B Duel Infantry's effect with a completely different skill.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm arguing about how weird it is to replace that particular part of B Duel Infantry's effect with a completely different skill.

I guess it would be weird, but I like the innovation though.

• 5 weeks later...

I think it might be okay to double post. We are getting new map modes that bar Dancers/Singers. For my fellow Player Phase players out there, what kind of "Dancer/Singer" replacements are you thinking of to bypass that restriction? Were you inspired to think of any new Assist skills?

For me, the best alternative Dancers/Singers I can think of are GA!Lucina with Future Vision, CE!Chrom with To Change Fate!, and Lilith with Astral Breath for unconditional Wings of Mercy. However, none of the three feels quite adequate though, and I think it would still be a challenge to master them.

To replicate the classic Dance/Sing-Reposition, I think the best way to do that is to combine two positioning Assist skills into one: Reposition-Pivot! It does exactly like what it sound like! Also Pivot-Reposition!

Reposition-Pivot:
Target ally moves to opposite side of unit, then unit moves to opposite side of target ally.

Pivot-Reposition:
Unit moves to opposite side of target ally, then target ally moves to opposite side of unit.

Not sure if there is much different between the two skills in practice, but yeah, those are my ideas for bypassing the no Dancer/Singer restrictions.

On 4/9/2020 at 4:03 AM, XRay said:

I think it might be okay to double post. We are getting new map modes that bar Dancers/Singers. For my fellow Player Phase players out there, what kind of "Dancer/Singer" replacements are you thinking of to bypass that restriction? Were you inspired to think of any new Assist skills?

For me, the best alternative Dancers/Singers I can think of are GA!Lucina with Future Vision, CE!Chrom with To Change Fate!, and Lilith with Astral Breath for unconditional Wings of Mercy. However, none of the three feels quite adequate though, and I think it would still be a challenge to master them.

To replicate the classic Dance/Sing-Reposition, I think the best way to do that is to combine two positioning Assist skills into one: Reposition-Pivot! It does exactly like what it sound like! Also Pivot-Reposition!

Reposition-Pivot:
Target ally moves to opposite side of unit, then unit moves to opposite side of target ally.

Pivot-Reposition:
Unit moves to opposite side of target ally, then target ally moves to opposite side of unit.

Not sure if there is much different between the two skills in practice, but yeah, those are my ideas for bypassing the no Dancer/Singer restrictions.

no. how about trying to deal/built a Team that doesnt need a Dancer for those easy maps? There is a reason this game has Tanky units with shitty PP stats/utility: They are meant to take PP units into safety by using reposition or swap. Again its only Infernal maps, again IS wants you to level units you usually dont use and use a strategic approach to a map, rather then just go braindead with 3 Dancers. Its a strategy game after all...

4 hours ago, Hilda said:

no. how about trying to deal/built a Team that doesnt need a Dancer for those easy maps? There is a reason this game has Tanky units with shitty PP stats/utility: They are meant to take PP units into safety by using reposition or swap. Again its only Infernal maps, again IS wants you to level units you usually dont use and use a strategic approach to a map, rather then just go braindead with 3 Dancers. Its a strategy game after all...

This is a thread about creating skills. It lets us fantasize about dream skills to solve our problems.

I have no idea why you are so against players trying to make their preferred strategy work, in this case, the most cost effective and efficient strategy to deal with difficult PvP content. If you do not like it, you do not have to use it. I find messing around with less optimal strategy a complete time waster for players who do not enjoy it. I want to find the most effective strategy to solve things in the most efficient and/or cost effective way possible. I do not care about about making less viable tactics work. I find them to be neither fun, cost effective, nor a good use of time.

It is like arguing that Drives make super tanking a braindead strategy and that Enemy Phase players should go back to using Bonds and Spurs. That is just dumb. There is no reason to pursue less viable strategies and tactics unless the game forces you to, and in those cases, the game feels more like a stupid puzzle game rather than a strategy/tactical game.

I also disagree with mixing Player Phase and Enemy Phase units team together. Yes, you can do it. But it is not an optimal strategy in my opinion due to both styles preferring different support units. You can do it in PvE maps through trial and error, but it is not something I would recommend for difficult competitive modes with no redos. The best way to incorporate the other style into the team is through the use of dual phase units like Counter-Vantage units and units with guaranteed doubles on both phases, since they work with both Player Phase and Enemy Phase support units.

Glass Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow

Atk+3 and grants Death Blow 4, but after attacking inflicts the Null Counter Attack effect on the user, to replicate the glass weapons low durability. Enemies with the weapon can still have an enemy phase if they just don't attack on player phase or if you use restore on them.

Superior Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow/Flame/Jolt/Gale

If enemy uses Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow/Red Tome/Blue Tome/Green Tome, grants weapon triangle advantage, imparts weapon triangle disadvantage on enemy and prevents enemy from making a follow up attack

Should come with an Awakening character ideally. Say'ri, Kellam, Vaike, Virion and Miriel aren't in the game yet and could all get a weapon like this. It should be an inheritable and not a prf weapon though.

Blessed Sword/Lance/Axe

Inheritable weapons with the Renewal skill attached to them. They could also deal increased damage in Rokkr Siege to reflect there anti terror properties.

Warp (staff assist skill)

Grant target ally the following status: "Unit can move to a space adjacent to any ally".

Renew

Staff assist skill that uses the dance skill from two range instead of one.

Best comes with either an Archanea staff user not yet in the game or a Cleric Faye alternative.

Edited by Jotari

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry hi, I suddenly remembered an idea for a skill I made back in my FE Fates days, and I modified it slightly for FEH standards.

Threatening Dart (C Passive)
At start of turn, inflicts all penalties on units equipped skills on closest foe within 4 spaces.

So for instance, a unit has Smoke Dagger+ refine, Sudden Panic 3, and Chill Def 3 as their Weapon, B passive, and Sacred Seal. Similar to Nyofai Gunnthra's weapon, those statuses would all be inflicted onto the closest foe to the skill holder.

Powerful? Maybe it is, I dunno. The original skill, in Fire Emblem Fates, was that the skill would be a sort of modified combat, similar I guess to Combat Arts in newer FE games, in which a Shuriken/Dagger user would initiate combat in which 0 damage was dealt, the foe can't counterattack, no combat skills would trigger, but after combat the effects of the equipped dagger would be inflicted on the foe (a Steel Dagger, for instance, inflicts Str/Def/Res -3 on the foe). It'd have been a way to inflict debuffs on the foe without risking the life of the usually squishy Dagger users in Fates.

It could probably fit more as a Personal skill, thinking about it.

Hoplon Guard

Non-Inheritable, possessed by Caellach. Prevents the enemy from building special gauge during combat with this unit. Does not prevent the opponent from activating specials which they have already built up.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Hoplon Guard

Non-Inheritable, possessed by Caellach. Prevents the enemy from building special gauge during combat with this unit. Does not prevent the opponent from activating specials which they have already built up.

How is that different to the Guard skill already in the game?

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

How is that different to the Guard skill already in the game?

Guard 3:
At start of combat, if unit's HP ≥ 80%, inflicts Special cooldown charge -1 on foe per attack. (Only highest value applied. Does not stack.)

If I am reading Hoplon Guard correctly, I assume the in-game language would be something like the following:
During combat, foe does not get any cooldown charges.

Hoplon Guard removes the HP requirement, and assuming the English translation mirrors Japanse wording, the effect might bypass Creator's Sword and Null Special Disrupt whenever that is released.

Creator's Sword:
Accelerates Special trigger (cooldown count-1). During combat, neutralizes effects that guarantee foe's follow-up attacks, prevent unit's follow-up attacks, grant "Special cooldown charge +X" to foe, or inflict "Special cooldown charge -X" on unit.

Atk-Def Bond Counter: If unit is adjacent to an ally grants Atk/Def + 5 and unit can counter attack regardless of foe's range.

And also Atk-Spd Bond Counter, Def-Res etc. Seems like an appropriate level of power creep.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Atk-Def Bond Counter: If unit is adjacent to an ally grants ark/Def + 5 and unit can counter attack regardless of foe's range.

And also Atk-Spd Bond Counter, Def-Res etc. Seems like an appropriate level of power creep.

Ooh! That would be nice, but I would also lump in the debuff nullification for good measure. Due to the strict positioning requirements of Bonds and how detrimental being adjacent in Aether Raids is, I think giving Bonds a free Distant/Close Counter on top of their debuff nullification might just be enough to make Bonds worth considering.

Edited by XRay

• 2 weeks later...

Special Dispel 1/2/3
B Passive
Tome only
Effect: Slows Special trigger (cooldown count +1). At start of combat, if unit's HP (= 100%, ≥ 90%, ≥ 80%) or foe's Special that triggers by attacking is ready, reduces extra damage from foe's next Special (by half, by 3/4, to 0) during combat.
Mostly shuts down enemies that completely rely on activating their Specials during combat, but only if that opponent's Special is ready and your HP% is high. It also, however, slows your cooldown count so anyone using a Blade Tome will be severely punished on the offensive front (Aether, for example, will have a whopping 7 coodlown). Note, however, that it doesn't nullify their effects, but simply lowers the extra damage to 0; any Specials that heal the foe (like Sol or the mentioned Aether) will still heal, it's just that Aether won't get its Luna effect against the unit, only the Sol part of it.
Due to its defensive nature and slot placement, it's a skill that should only be put on tanky units like Winter!Tharja or Fallen!Lyon. Since it can coexist with Close Counter (and its variants), it would be best used with that and a Special like Miracle to keep the unit alive. Anyone using this skill should also take into account that it doesn't lower damage from normal attacks; foes with high Atk won't care that much about it, other than the fact that it will lower/cancel out their Special's extra damage.

Edited by MilodicMellodi

2 hours ago, MilodicMellodi said:

Special Dispel 1/2/3
B Passive
Tome only
Effect: Slows Special trigger (cooldown count +1). At start of combat, if unit's HP (= 100%, ≥ 90%, ≥ 80%) or foe's Special that triggers by attacking is ready, reduces extra damage from foe's next Special (by half, by 3/4, to 0) during combat.
Mostly shuts down enemies that completely rely on activating their Specials during combat, but only if that opponent's Special is ready and your HP% is high. It also, however, slows your cooldown count so anyone using a Blade Tome will be severely punished on the offensive front (Aether, for example, will have a whopping 7 coodlown). Note, however, that it doesn't nullify their effects, but simply lowers the extra damage to 0; any Specials that heal the foe (like Sol or the mentioned Aether) will still heal, it's just that Aether won't get its Luna effect against the unit, only the Sol part of it.
Due to its defensive nature and slot placement, it's a skill that should only be put on tanky units like Winter!Tharja or Fallen!Lyon. Since it can coexist with Close Counter (and its variants), it would be best used with that and a Special like Miracle to keep the unit alive. Anyone using this skill should also take into account that it doesn't lower damage from normal attacks; foes with high Atk won't care that much about it, other than the fact that it will lower/cancel out their Special's extra damage.

This just comes back to it being a less effective version of Guard, which is already a pretty under utilized skill.

Because I already find myself thinking of stuff like this on occasion, this seems fun to throw out a few ideas for skills I have desired for a long time. 

Great Shield - Special Skill - 2 CD - 500 SP - (Restricted to melee units)

Reduces damage inflicted by attacks from adjacent foes by 50%, or by 80% if foe's special triggered.

• Just a higher tier defensive special, meant to counter heroes dependent on specials.

Shield Special 3 - B Passive - (Restricted to melee units)

If unit's Special triggers based on a foe's attack and unit's HP > 25%, grants Special cooldown charge +1 to unit and inflicts Special cooldown charge -1 to foe per unit attack. (Does not stack.) Unit takes 10 less damage when Special triggers.

• A mixture of Special Fighter & Shield Pulse (hence the name), this is designed around using defensive specials offensively but also just making defensive special more useful in general. But because Miracle exist, more emphasis has to be put on the damage reduction & having to create a HP condition so it would not be too abusable.

Servant Staff 3 - B Passive - (Restricted to staff)

Accelerate Special trigger (Cooldown count -1). If unit uses an healing assist skill on a target ally, grants bonus to unit's and target's Atk/Spd/Def/Res = highest bonus on target ally for 1 turn. (Combos with Balm Skills)

• Designed to improved Balm specials and be an alternative to Dazzling/Wrathful staff. The only downside is that you're required to wait for your ally to be damaged before you can heal. Can somewhat get around that by using Restore.

Rescue Staff 3 - B Passive (Restricted to staff)

Allies within 2 spaces or allies with HP ≤ 50% can move to an adjacent space of unit.

• Another alternative to Dazzling/Wrathful staff, but for movement and positioning. It's an either or condition, so a full health ally can use this effect if within 2 spaces or a ally across the map with less than 50% HP can move to an adjacent space. Note: This is not Wings of Mercy. Weaken allies can only move to you, not you moving to any weaken ally.
Edited by Clear World

On 5/10/2020 at 3:52 AM, Jotari said:

This just comes back to it being a less effective version of Guard, which is already a pretty under utilized skill.

Not necessarily. While Guard slows down the foe from charging their Special, it doesn't mitigate any damage when that Special activates. Special Dispel does the opposite; it doesn't slow down the opponent's Special, it completely cancels out that Special's extra damage (at least, it does so for the first activation of that Special each battle).
I'd say it's more of a worse Close Call/Repel, honestly.

This might be stupid but it'd be really funny if they added Cancel Affinity 4 and it nullifies any triangle advantages/disadvantages

Has to compete with DC for tank builds but it'd be a fun skill

Edited by carps

2 hours ago, MilodicMellodi said:

Not necessarily. While Guard slows down the foe from charging their Special, it doesn't mitigate any damage when that Special activates. Special Dispel does the opposite; it doesn't slow down the opponent's Special, it completely cancels out that Special's extra damage (at least, it does so for the first activation of that Special each battle).
I'd say it's more of a worse Close Call/Repel, honestly.

Nullifying a special and making it impossible to activate are fundamentally the same thing. The only place where the former has an advantage is for units who specialize in always having their special charge via stuff like Special Spiral, and that's far too niche, especially if it's increasing the required charges on your own special. Guard already covers the protection against specials B slot niche and it's already a less than popular skill to equip. Rather than creating a skill that does the same thing only differently, it'd be better to just make Guard 4 which does both (and ditches the HP requirement).

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Nullifying a special and making it impossible to activate are fundamentally the same thing. The only place where the former has an advantage is for units who specialize in always having their special charge via stuff like Special Spiral, and that's far too niche, especially if it's increasing the required charges on your own special. Guard already covers the protection against specials B slot niche and it's already a less than popular skill to equip. Rather than creating a skill that does the same thing only differently, it'd be better to just make Guard 4 which does both (and ditches the HP requirement).

Makes sense. In fact, it made me think of an idea or two (along with some unrelated skill ideas).

Guard 4
B Passive (Tier 4 of Guard 1/2/3)
No Restrictions
Effect: If unit's HP ≥ 70% at the start of combat, foe is inflicted with Special cooldown charge -1. If unit's HP ≥ 70% after combat, inflicts Special cooldown count +1 on foe. (If using similar skills, only highest value applied. No effect on foe after combat if their Special cooldown count is already at maximum.)
Essentially Guard 3 and Pulse Smoke 3, but it only affects the foe and not their allies like Pulse Smoke does. I kept Guard 3's HP% condition, but widened it a little bit so it would be easier to trigger. Mainly, this upgrade of Guard makes it the bread-n-butter of Sustain Tanks; those that can keep their HP% high will effectively keep any foe from charging their own Specials against the unit. Due to this, chip damage becomes more important against these types of units...but that's a good drawback when you have the ability to block out Specials to this degree.

Special Dispel 1/2/3/4
B Passive
Tome Only
Effect: At start of combat, if unit's HP (= 100%, ≥ 90%, ≥80%, ≥ 80%) and foe's Special triggers by attacking, extra damage from foe's Special (is reduced by 1/2, is reduced by 3/4, is reduced to 0, reduces damage from foe equal to 1/4 the Special's damage instead).
Rather than trying to make it "Guard but better", I instead made it a Special that can (at Tier 4) let you benefit from your foe's Special instead by using the foe's own Special to mitigate their normal attacks. Notably, it only does this at Tier 4 and only lowers (or cancels out at Tier 3) the damage for the lower tiers.
For example, let's say the foe has 60 Atk and activates Luna against the unit with 40 Def and this skill at Tier 4. Normally, the foe would deal an extra 20 damage (treating the unit's Def as 20). With this skill in play, however, it would not only 
not deal 20 extra damage, but it would also instead lower the foe's normal damage by 5 (effectively cheating them out of a total of 25 damage) and cut their normal damage output to 15 instead of 20.
I guess in one way...the Tier 4 skill would be like a one-sided Triangle Adept against Specials? And it might be better when used alongside the Shield Specials to reduce damage even further.

Great Pavise (Great Aegis)
Special, 2 Cooldown
Melee Only
Effect: Reduces damage from adjacent (ranged) foe's attack by 50%. Before combat, if both this Special and adjacent (ranged) foe's Special that triggers by attacking are ready, also reduces extra damage from foe's Special to 0 before or during combat.
Uses the idea from the new version of Special DIspel to make Pavise better. Rather than increasing the damage reduction from the base Special's effect, it instead reduces the cooldown by 1 and adds the "Special's extra damage reduced to 0" effect based on a condition (where both the unit's and foe's Specials have to be ready at the start of combat). With the way I worded it, I wanted to include both AoE and in-combat Specials. This way, it would appeal to both slow units with Shield Pulse and fast units with Close Call/Repel.

Now for the unrelated ideas:

Overextending Blow 1/2/3
A Passive
Sword, Lance, and Axe Infantry Only
Effect: If unit initiates combat, grants Atk/Spd/Def/Res+3/4/5 to unit during combat. After combat, if unit attacked, inflicts Def/Res-3/4/5 and [Isolation] on unit until unit's next action.
[Isolation]: Target cannot use or be the target of Assist skills through its next action. (Target can neither use nor be the target of skills like Dance and Sing, skills that neutralize penalties, like Restore and Harsh Command+, etc.)
Grants the unit All+5 when initiating, but at the drawback of suffering a Def/Res-5 debuff after combat and the temporary inability to be affected by Assists. This is a skill for Galeforce enthusiasts, or for masochistic units like Fallen!Ike that revel in suffering debuffs and can pretty much do everything on their own if they want to.

Overextending Stance 1/2/3
Same in everything as Overextending Blow, but the foe initiates combat instead and the unit is effectively under the eternal infliction of Isolation. The way it the in-combat buffs and post-combat debuffs would interact with each other, it would be so that the first combat would be All+5, but every combat after would have a net in-combat buff of Atk/Spd+5 (or Atk/Spd+5 and Def/Res+10 on Fallen!Ike).

Edited by MilodicMellodi

Rather than just a skill , how about a whole new status effect?

Peril: A unit inflicted with this status effect is unable to regain HP by any means other than combat skills that restore HP.

This means skills like Reciprocal Aid will fail if they would raise the inflicted units HP, healing staffs cant be used on them (Restore could remove the effect, but not restore HP as it does so), and healing towers and such would not affect them, but skills like Sol and Aether would still restore HP.

With all the dumb healing towers that restore ridiculous amounts of HP everywhere, it feels like any and all indirect damage strategies are nearly obsolete. A status effect like this could make them viable again. Something like "Peril Smoke" or "Sudden Peril" could be a skill with which to inflict such a condition.

Here's a random concept: a movement Assist skill that can be used on enemies, but in return applies Isolation and restricts the unit's abilities to take another action on the unit using said skill (so if there was a Passive or weapon effect that could give the unit another action after using their Assist, that effect would be nullified; in addition, they can't activate Galeforce no matter what).

Reposition+
Assist (upgrade of Reposition)
Effect: Nullifies effects that allow unit to take another action and inflicts unit with Isolation. (You cannot remove this status effect with skills like Harsh Command+, Restore+, etc.) Move adjacent ally or foe to opposite side of unit.

Swap+
Assist (upgrade of Swap)
Effect: Nullifies effects that allow unit to take another action and inflicts unit with Isolation. (You cannot remove this status effect with skills like Harsh Command+, Restore+, etc.) Swap places with adjacent ally or foe.

Shove+
Assist (upgrade of Shove)
Effect: Nullifies effects that allow unit to take another action and inflicts unit with Isolation. (You cannot remove this status effect with skills like Harsh Command+, Restore+, etc.) Push adjacent ally or foe 2 spaces farther away.

Edited by MilodicMellodi

11 minutes ago, MilodicMellodi said:

Here's a random concept: a movement Assist skill that can be used on enemies, but in return applies Isolation and restricts the unit's abilities to take another action on the unit using said skill (so if there was a Passive or weapon effect that could give the unit another action after using their Assist, that effect would be nullified; in addition, they can't activate Galeforce no matter what).

That would be horrifying. Basically, the Firesweep-Lunger on Aether Raids defense does not even have to bother with Firesweep-Lunge anymore and just run Reposition+ to move any super tank out of position and have the rest of the defense team dog pile the poor super tank.

There is also the problem of the game not being able to distinguish whether you want the unit to attack a foe or Assist a foe due to the game's user interface/tactile input system.

16 minutes ago, MilodicMellodi said:

(You cannot remove this status effect with skills like Harsh Command+, Restore+, etc.)

I do not think that is necessary in my opinion, as Isolation is already pretty punishing in itself. Having debuffs that cannot be gotten rid of with Harsh Command and Restore goes against why those skills were created in the first place, as it was difficult getting rid of debuffs before then outside of using Dancers/Singers.

On 5/12/2020 at 8:25 AM, Namero said:

Rather than just a skill , how about a whole new status effect?

Peril: A unit inflicted with this status effect is unable to regain HP by any means other than combat skills that restore HP.

This means skills like Reciprocal Aid will fail if they would raise the inflicted units HP, healing staffs cant be used on them (Restore could remove the effect, but not restore HP as it does so), and healing towers and such would not affect them, but skills like Sol and Aether would still restore HP.

With all the dumb healing towers that restore ridiculous amounts of HP everywhere, it feels like any and all indirect damage strategies are nearly obsolete. A status effect like this could make them viable again. Something like "Peril Smoke" or "Sudden Peril" could be a skill with which to inflict such a condition.

yes lets nerf the supporters that need the buffs more so they become even more obsolete. How about we introduce the skill "Perma Isolation", Inflicts all units on the map no Assists skills in any form can be used! There we equally nerfed everyone including the dancers!

A Healing tower shouldnt cause you that much trouble.