A Second CYL Poll?

TheWill

With another CYL event confirmed for the future (with the Farfetched Heroes being the latest CYL event), I'm wondering how they're going to do the next event. They could grab the next two male (Hector, Chrom) & females (Tharja, Camilla) and do special costumes of them, but personally I was thinking of them doing another CYL poll again in the future. Maybe for first anniversary or even further down the line. I was wondering what other people thought about this?

If you're for it, what would you want them to do in the future to make it better - or just keep it the same?

If you're against it, feel free to say why you don't think it's a good idea. 

Me personally, apart from barring Lyn, Lucina, Roy and Ike (so they don't get more costumes), I'd like to see them split the CYL poll. For example, they could split it into different regions (so America and Japan can both submit who their most popular character is) or split it into continents (eg. one Archanea, one Valentia, one Jugdral, one Elibe, one Tellius, one Ylisse and one Fates character will be chosen to get a special variant). 

Having a CYL event now that the game has actually launched (and now that SoV has been released) would be interesting for sure. Would be interesting to see if really powerful units like Reinhardt will jump higher in CYL because of Heroes, if previously popular characters drop a little bit due to being subpar units, and where characters like Faye and Berkut who didn't exist when CYL first ran would end up.

57 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Having a CYL event now that the game has actually launched (and now that SoV has been released) would be interesting for sure. Would be interesting to see if really powerful units like Reinhardt will jump higher in CYL because of Heroes, if previously popular characters drop a little bit due to being subpar units, and where characters like Faye and Berkut who didn't exist when CYL first ran would end up.

I didn't mention it, but that's definitely something I'm interested in seeing. I'd definitely be interested in seeing how much Reinhardt, Nino, Ninian and the Genealogy cast increase by. 

I'm also interested to see whether there'll be a general Awakening preference or has the introduction of Heroes has evened the votes with exposure to the older generation casts.

Personally I would like for them to do another one, maybe on the 1 year anniversary. Personally I never participated in the first one, but I definitely would in this one. Also with how SoV revamped all of Gaiden's cast and with how Heroes exposed newer fans to older characters, it would be interesting to see how Awakening/Fates cast place.

I really think they should, but exclude the lords, please, or at least the previous winners. My problem with the last event is that Ike, Lucina and Roy are all in Smash, and Lyn is an assist trophy, so it doesn't quite feel like a FE poll, but more a Smash poll. Removing lords would also help limit the amount of overly popular characters, and give lesser known characters a chance.

Anyway, the biggest benefit comes in the form of SoV having released. More people now know Gaiden's roster, so we should see a big jump for a lot of them. CYL Genny, perhaps?

I do think the next CYL event will end up coming with another ballot, if only because of the way Feh phrases it in the latest Feh Channel. "You all like me, right? I need to start getting ready for the next Choose Your Legends event!" The first sentence sounds to me like it's asking, "You guys are going to vote for me, right," and would seem really out of place if she were just talking about including more heroes from the existing results.

Anyway, mainly what I would want changed from another ballot is not splitting votes between different versions of a character, like how all the SD/MotE and PoR/RD characters had their votes split. I'm not even really a fan of any of those games, but it seems a bit unfair to those characters to rank lower because of how the voting was counted, even though Ike managed to win the men's side of the ballot with the split in place. Also either excluding the previous winners, or simply ignoring their placing if they win again, but that part's obvious.

Edited by C. Turtle

4 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I would like a CYL poll only including units that aren't in Heroes yet.

This is where I'm at, too. I want a poll with the explicit interest of gauging interest for newcomers, not an affirmation of what characters people still like. The first poll was useful for its time due to not only this crossover game, but also a second crossover game (Warriors) beginning development. 

If I was making decisions about inclusions for Heroes, I would be actively concerned about the future of the game after adding the remaining Lords and Awakening/Fates Gen 1 characters, since I assume a lot of people will check out once the A tier popularity candidates are finished. Gotta space 'em out it with some B and C tiers. And letting the fans decide who's worth the attention will help in keeping that interest.

I'd like another poll maybe organized a bit better. If we do include all characters, then combine characters together. We don't need multiple copies of Marth, Ike...basically everyone in PoR/RD. When voting for a character, you should probably try to consider their overall character. But even then, I feel like the results wouldn't be THAT different. I don't see the super popular characters getting bumped out of the top ten.

I'm with @Rezzy. I'd like to see a poll of characters not in Heroes yet. With the popular monsters out of the way, it'd be a bit easier to tell who might be next on the FEH to-do list. Or it might help the fanbase drop some hints as to who we really want. Laguz plz.

If they do another poll in the exact same fashion with all the same characters, I doubt too much will change. And I honestly don't want another CYL banner with more alternate costumes for Ike, Lyn, Roy, and Lucina...or even just one or two of those folks.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

This is where I'm at, too. I want a poll with the explicit interest of gauging interest for newcomers, not an affirmation of what characters people still like. The first poll was useful for its time due to not only this crossover game, but also a second crossover game (Warriors) beginning development. 

If I was making decisions about inclusions for Heroes, I would be actively concerned about the future of the game after adding the remaining Lords and Awakening/Fates Gen 1 characters, since I assume a lot of people will check out once the A tier popularity candidates are finished. Gotta space 'em out it with some B and C tiers. And letting the fans decide who's worth the attention will help in keeping that interest.

I doubt it affected Warriors much outside of Lyn's shoehorning. 

Not fussed on the details but let me fill in all the entries on the final day to catch up instead of forcing me to log in every day, geez. I get that they want to run it over an extended period of time for visibility, so adding one slot a day is fine, but don't punish people for forgetting to log in for one day - that's just mean.

30 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Exactly my point! If crudely worded. A post-game easter egg isn't what I would file under shoehorning...

It's hardly an easter egg when they plaster it on the website and even one of the soundtrack CDs. Besides, a last minute addition that makes little sense is exactly what I'd call shoehorning. Same with Celica.

It would be interesting to see a few characters go up, but I think mostly the top results wouldn't change much.  The top characters were popular before and will still be popular now. If they make more Brave Heroes then I think they should keep going down the list we have. Plus with FE16 around the corner it would be better to wait for that game to release and hype to die down a bit to have the most fair poll if you wanna phrase it like that. If they do it just before or just after FE16 releases then characters from that game would either not be included or rank higher than normal due to being the newest cast around. 

Would it be unreasonable to expect more than 4 CYL heroes? I think it would be cool if we had multiple categories to vote, but it would be really limiting if each category only got a single character. 

Lets say we got four categories, and the top two from each would get in for a total of eight. I think good categories would be, Characters who aren't in heroes yet, Non-lord/main characters, NPCs/enemies, and one broad category that includes everyone. 

If a single character managed to win two categories, i.e. the same character wins non-lords as well as NPCs, whoever has the closer second place would make it. Like, if Damas won both categories, ahead 30 votes against Noire in non-lords, and ahead 12 votes against Gale in NPCs, Gale would make it in.

Edited by Cornguy