62 members have voted

1. 1. The 2 Reavers

• Nolan
    • Boyd

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CHUCK NORRIS CAN RUN SO FAST HE CAN PUNCH HIMSELF IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD.

For the record, this isn't off topic.

Oh, and I voted Boyd :D

You can't have a Nolan topic without mentioning Chuck Norris. It's just not done.

I voted for Boyd, because apparently green hair is the new black.

In what way do you mean exactly?

QFT. What is Nolan better at?

Is Nolan better at dying?

Is Nolan better at sucking?

Is Nolan better at being the best member of his team due to being in the dastard brigade?

QFT. What is Nolan better at?

Is Nolan better at dying?

Is Nolan better at sucking?

Is Nolan better at being the best member of his team due to being in the dastard brigade?

IMHO I personally think Boyd is better than Nolan because:

1: Fire Affinity Rocks. Better than Nolan's Earth Affins. Especially his supports with Mist, which makes a even bigger bonuses if you ask me.

2: Again, Boyd's chances of capping Str is much higher than Nolan's chances. Except every other of Nolan's caps would most likely surpasses Boyd's. However, when transfering you FE9 data onto FE10 Boyd's chances of capping other stats are fairly high. Almost more than enough to compete with Nolan.

3: Nolan is somewhat hard to train in the first part of the game seeing as he starts out as a Lv. 9 Fighter (1st tier). Boyd STARTS OUT at a level 8 Warrior (2nd tier) with solid base stats. And he also saves you the opportunity of babysitting Nolan. Espeically when you were to play maniac mode.

Boyd. He was great in PoR but I was afraid when I saw Gatrie's base speed was higher than him in RD. Despite that I still used him cuz of the great memories in PoR. Luckily, he surpassed Gatrie in speed after his promotion. + his personality is so badass.

Nolan doesn't have to be babied, but his "manly" facial hair doesn't help him fight better. Boyd is just better at that.

Nolan has good stats and growths which is enough to max most but not all though, that's one advantage Boyd has, I got him to max all stats without items. The big advantage Boyd has is he can get more EXP you don't need to feed him a lot of BEXP like you do for Nolan, I even gave him paragon and it still took a while to get him to be a high level Reaver. Boyd gets there much quicker without any special help. Especially if you were to transfer your FE9 data onto FE10. Even still, I would use Boyd a lot, he has great potential, I gave him Urvan and he's very good at loot, burn, and rapeing the enemies. His biggest weakness in my opinion is he doesn't dodge mainly because of his Skills and Spd, especially for a Reaver(without transfering your FE9 data into FE10). Nolan would be great character and the addition to the final part of the game. But he is not as good as Boyd who for me was a tank, I gave him imbue and especially once he got Urvan he could solo sides and still be at full health by him next turn, I also had him support with Mist so his attack was extremely high.

Nolan would be the best addition to the group, and you get him very earlier than Boyd. His growths are quite impressive. But as a 1st tier Fighter it makes him very frail at the beginning as the enemy axe-users are quite accurate meaning he may die with 3 or 4 hits. BEXP is a moot point; so feeding that much to someone at the beginning anyway because it gimps their growths. You can level him up normally without any extreme difficulty.

Also again, Boyd comes at a respectable level and solid base stats, you get tons of time to train him in part 3. By the time you cap several of his stats, she will be gaining so little exp from kills that she can get him share of kills and not level up in a chapter, allowing you to use minimal BEXP to get him to the next level. Plus, if you transfer stats, he will most likely cap even faster in part 3 and you can further take advantage of BEXP, allowing you to round out his stats.

(Watches as Nolan maxes things on a regular basis while Boyd doesn't)

Nolan can just as easily max everything, he does it just about every play through, he's better for me. I don't think it's evil that I like someone who ends up better when I use them (and the question at hand is merely which I personally like better, not some number crunching debate). Nolan also has earth affinity and awareness which I prefer over Boyd's fire and no skills.

As for how he maxes everything...

Nolan will max magic and resistance easy which is a great help with bonus EXP leveling, and he will also likely max skill and speed and luck in tier 2. so you can get his strength defense and HP up easy with bonus EXP.

PEMN, dawg

Base Stats:

Nolan

Level: 9

HP: 29

Strength: 12

Magic: 0

Skill: 11

Speed: 10

Luck: 7

Defense: 9

Resistance: 3

Boyd

Level: ?/8

HP: 45

Strength: 22

Magic: 1

Skill: 20

Speed: 18

Luck: 13

Defense: 15

Resistance: 8

Stat Growths:

Nolan

HP: 60

Strength: 45

Magic: 20

Skill: 70

Speed: 60

Luck: 60

Defense: 35

Resistance: 40

Boyd

HP: 80

Strength: 65

Magic: 5

Skill: 45

Speed: 45

Luck: 40

Defense: 40

Resistance: 10

Average stats:

Nolan

HP: 64 (disadvantage)

Strength: 38 (disadvantage)

Magic: 10 (advantage)

Skill: 36 (equal)

Speed: 35 (advantage)

Luck: 30 (advantage)

Defense: 29 (disadvantage)

Resistance: 20 (advantage

Boyd

HP: 68 (advantage)

Strength: 40 (advantage)

Magic: 7 (disadvantage)

Skill: 36 (equal)

Speed: 34 (disadvantage)

Luck: 25 (disadvantage)

Defense: 30 (advantage)

Resistance: 15 (disadvantage)

Boyd: 3 (1 is in their most important stat though)

Nolan: 4 (Magic is useless for him though)

Boyd's defense is higher by only 1.

Nolan's speed is higher by only 1.

Strength is their most important stat and Boyd wins in it.

Boyd also wins in both HP and defense.

Nolan is better for fighting magic units, although it's not very likely he'll be doubling them in later chapters.

Boyd can also get even better with the transfer bonus.

Interperate this as you wish.

Well your points are valid enough, with the exception of these 2...

although it's not very likely he'll be doubling them in later chapters.

I don't know if you have checked enemy magic users speed, but it's pretty lousy. Assuming by some freak chance an enemy sage maxed speed (haha yeah right) it's 32, Nolan wouldn't double him then, but any less (what they have 100% of the time) and he can.

(Magic is useless for him though)

Magic isn't really a useless stat when you take advantage of the bonus EXP system, it merely buffs his other growths (aka strength/HP/etc) since it will max so quick (as well as his resistance, skill and speed).

And again you clearly leave out things such as play time/affinity/personal weapons/etc

If your going to use numbers, then use all of them and not which ones favor yourself.

Do so as such...

Nolan has more playtime, so he can be worked more with for longer (I will give you Boyd doesn't have an unreasonable amount of playtime however).

Boyd is capable of transfer bonuses

Boyd has bonds

Nolan has a free Nihil

Boyd has higher HP growth

Boyd has higher strength growth

Nolan has higher magic growth

Nolan has higher skill growth

Nolan has higher speed growth

Nolan has higher luck growth

Boyd has higher defense growth

Nolan has higher magic defense growth

Nolan maxes more stats earlier and will put bonus experience to more use (although Boyd will max a few and get there before the end as well)

Nolan has earth affinity, Boyd has fire (this is merely personal opinion, but earth>fire and I think most will agree with me here)

Averages are moot when you are using bonus EXP and transfer bonuses. but if I must...

Boyd has a higher HP average

Boyd has a higher strength average

Nolan has a higher magic average

Nolan has a higher skill average

Nolan has a higher speed average

Nolan has a higher luck average

Boyd has a higher defense average

Nolan has a higher magic defense average

To sum it up...

Without bonus EXP, Nolan will have much better evasion and magical defenses, but will suffer from a 3 damage attack lose (6 when doubling) and an lose 2 extra HP when hit by physical weapons, not unreasonable in my case since he will have more survivability due to higher dodge rate.

Averages aside, since they are moot on this game due to bonus EXP, BOTH will easily max ALL of their stats. In which case I would still pick Nolan since he's around longer, has a personal weapon, and has earth affinity and I have the JP FE9 so can't transfer.

Oh and for the record their 20/20/20 averages are...

Boyd

HP- 68

STR- 40

MGC- 6

SKL- 35

SPD- 33

LUK- 25

DEF- 31

MDF- 15

Nolan

HP- 64

STR- 37

MGC- 10

SKL- 36

SPD- 35

LUK- 30

DEF- 29

MDF- 20

It's a well known rule that you don't round up for averages, since they haven't reached the stat yet. While Nolan has a fairly high chance of reaching 38 strength, he hasn't, same goes for Boyd's skill and speed.

Does Boyd suck? No

Is Boyd good? Yes

Is Boyd better then Nolan? Possibly, depends on your play style.

I merely find Nolan better for stated reasons.

Well your points are valid enough, with the exception of these 2...

I don't know if you have checked enemy magic users speed, but it's pretty lousy. Assuming by some freak chance an enemy sage maxed speed (haha yeah right) it's 32, Nolan wouldn't double him then, but any less (what they have 100% of the time) and he can.

Magic isn't really a useless stat when you take advantage of the bonus EXP system, it merely buffs his other growths (aka strength/HP/etc) since it will max so quick (as well as his resistance, skill and speed).

And again you clearly leave out things such as play time/affinity/personal weapons/etc

If your going to use numbers, then use all of them and not which ones favor yourself.

Do so as such...

Nolan has more playtime, so he can be worked more with for longer (I will give you Boyd doesn't have an unreasonable amount of playtime however).

Boyd is capable of transfer bonuses

Boyd has bonds

Nolan has a free Nihil

Boyd has higher HP growth

Boyd has higher strength growth

Nolan has higher magic growth

Nolan has higher skill growth

Nolan has higher speed growth

Nolan has higher luck growth

Boyd has higher defense growth

Nolan has higher magic defense growth

Nolan maxes more stats earlier and will put bonus experience to more use (although Boyd will max a few and get there before the end as well)

Nolan has earth affinity, Boyd has fire (this is merely personal opinion, but earth>fire and I think most will agree with me here)

Averages are moot when you are using bonus EXP and transfer bonuses. but if I must...

Boyd has a higher HP average

Boyd has a higher strength average

Nolan has a higher magic average

Nolan has a higher skill average

Nolan has a higher speed average

Nolan has a higher luck average

Boyd has a higher defense average

Nolan has a higher magic defense average

To sum it up...

Without bonus EXP, Nolan will have much better evasion and magical defenses, but will suffer from a 3 damage attack lose (6 when doubling) and an lose 2 extra HP when hit by physical weapons, not unreasonable in my case since he will have more survivability due to higher dodge rate.

Averages aside, since they are moot on this game due to bonus EXP, BOTH will easily max ALL of their stats. In which case I would still pick Nolan since he's around longer, has a personal weapon, and has earth affinity and I have the JP FE9 so can't transfer.

Oh and for the record their 20/20/20 averages are...

Boyd

HP- 68

STR- 40

MGC- 6

SKL- 35

SPD- 33

LUK- 25

DEF- 31

MDF- 15

Nolan

HP- 64

STR- 37

MGC- 10

SKL- 36

SPD- 35

LUK- 30

DEF- 29

MDF- 20

It's a well known rule that you don't round up for averages, since they haven't reached the stat yet. While Nolan has a fairly high chance of reaching 38 strength, he hasn't, same goes for Boyd's skill and speed.

Does Boyd suck? No

Is Boyd good? Yes

Is Boyd better then Nolan? Possibly, depends on your play style.

I merely find Boyd better for stated reasons.

Great analysis. Boyd is a BEAST when he is chopping down other beasts in the chapter with Izuka and the infinite Laguz summons.

Remember that Boyd would only be better than before if you were to transfer your FE9 data into FE10 so that the averages in FE10 is most likely be different. Thats like one of the advantages that Boyd has of being better. Not that I'm saying Boyd is better than Nolan in a fact. And just to end my sentence personal experience means nothing.