Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

25 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

So it's supposedly from a graphic designer showing his friend something? If I was that friend I'd respond: Why'd you take this picture from inside a washing machine? What am I supposed to be looking at here?" That context where you've gotta look at every corner of the pictures to see which one is off feels so...unlike how people would reasonably talk to each other.

It's a graphic designer. I think they were taking a picture of their desk, and the mural just happened to be included with what they were showing off.

It wasn't supposed to be the focus of the picture.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ashen Jedi said:

I'm 50-50 on this one, it could be plausible, some of the choices are very Sakurai, but we need only wait for the next direct and see the poses of any revealed characters, if they match up 1-to-1 then I think that seals it. 

The reactions to this are heavily reminding me of the ESB Leak.

Thing is, we only need one newcomer reveal to prove or disprove this. 

If the newcomer isn't on the leaked mural, the leak is fake. 

If the newcomer is on the mural and their pose doesn't match, the leak is fake.

If the newcomer and their pose do match the leaked mural, the leak is real.

I'm at about 90/10 real/fake. 

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

It's a graphic designer. I think they were taking a picture of their desk, and the mural just happened to be included with what they were showing off.

It wasn't supposed to be the focus of the picture.

If you say so. Nobody's provided any proof of this picture's source or any non-speculative explanation for its context. And I'm not interested enough in the leak of the week to do my own googling. And if this person is actually a graphic designer, then that makes it all the more suspicious since he's in the exact position to have doctored official artwork with other peoples' renders or his own mock ups.

As for the supposed content

Spoiler

Too much wish fulfillment. Confirmation bias backed up by two likely echoes. I'm especially suspicious of Isaac and Geno both in the base roster. Put the support of both of those characters together and it wouldn't make a drop in the bucket compared to any Pokemon suggestion. However, I'll admit it's one of the more plausible lists we've seen simply because the amount of characters doesn't run in the freakin' double digits. I think we've got max three newcomers still left to announce, so the suggestion of four feels very down to earth compared to the average leak.

Edit: Whoops miscounted. Never mind, I think this list is a load of crap.

Edited by Glennstavos

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Just remember that ArtsyOmni is also a graphic designer and he trolled the whole world with the Rayman leak and that one was a video showing actual game footage.

The Rayman leak is honestly less impressive. It wasn't really "Game footage". It was a few frames on top of an otherwise still character select screen that we mostly already had. It wasn't too far off from the large list of "leaked" character select screens we get with every Smash, it just had the extra flair that you'd expect from a professional graphic designer as opposed to the average Joe who spent an hour in Photoshop to mess with 4chan.

If this was faked, they would have effectively recreated the Smash mural. Even as low res and low quality as it may be, it would take time to get the scale and proportions right on it, while also moving characters around(Like Jiggly) slightly to make the new ones fit.

It could still be total bunk, but it seems like there was more effort than the Rayman leak.

Edited by Slumber

36 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The Rayman leak is honestly less impressive. It wasn't really "Game footage". It was a few frames on top of an otherwise still character select screen that we mostly already had. It wasn't too far off from the large list of "leaked" character select screens we get with every Smash, it just had the extra flair that you'd expect from a professional graphic designer as opposed to the average Joe who spent an hour in Photoshop to mess with 4chan.

If this was faked, they would have effectively recreated the Smash mural. Even as low res and low quality as it may be, it would take time to get the scale and proportions right on it, while also moving characters around(Like Jiggly) slightly to make the new ones fit.

It could still be total bunk, but it seems like there was more effort than the Rayman leak.

My point was that there are people out there who would go at great lengths to make a leak look convicning.

A leak can have a lot of effort put into it and still be fake.

Edited by Armagon

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

My point was that there are people out there who would go at great lengths to make a leak look convicning.

The only thing that gets me is that most of those put the Smash reveals front and center, while this one wasn't the focus. Which could totally be misdirection, and done to make it seem more authentic.

But somebody making a mocked up picture of somebody who works with a company that partners with Bamco, only to then not make the thing most people would focus on something in the background seems... way too elaborate for the typical leak. It's one of the cases where Occam's Razor comes in.

A. Do you believe somebody took a real person's name, from a real company that's a real client of Bamco's, who is co-developing Smash, and THEN remade a fake Smash mural only to not make it the focus of the picture purely to fool people online by making it seem more authentic, and then claimed they got this photo from a friend?

Or

B. Do you believe this person actually got this picture from a friend that made a mistake and is the person whose name is in the photo?

B is the simpler explanation by far and requires way less denial, even if it is easier to dismiss it due to the history of Smash leaks.

Edited by Slumber

I think it’s very likely that the leak is true.  As someone else said, the arguments against it aren’t particularly strong and is eerily reminiscent of the ESRB leak. We actually have names dropped here as well, not just a nobody who randomly dropped “info”, so I’m pretty sure this is accurate.

Spoiler

Mach Rider also feels like a Sakurai pick much like Wii Fit Trainer and R.O.B, and a lot of the other characters are very plausible as well. 

Found this, might be of interest, it a the whole picture from the snap chat.

Also I theorize that this may be a 3rd party brought in to redo a few things for the French market.

Regarding the leak, this is what I'm predicting (assuming it's real, which I'm more leaning to).

Spoiler

#69 Isaac
#70 Geno
#71 Chorus Kids
#72 Banjo-Kazooie

#11e Mach Rider
#38e Shadow
#60e Ken

I predicted since E3 that 72 will be a nice, round number to end the base roster, and it seems it's ending that way. I also suggested back in a Discord chat that Mach Rider will be a good idea for a Captain Falcon echo (some even mocked me for it), so now I'm sticking to that. Isaac and Geno will likely be revealed first since they're more definitely ballot picks, with Chorus Kids following as a planned Smash 4 character, and BK saved for last as the big mega-guest of the game, and also a big ballot character. Shadow and Ken are obvious echoes.

Only thing that sucks about this leak (outside of leaks sucking in general) is that my most supported characters (Dixie and Shantae) are deconfirmed for base roster. Oh well, there's always DLC, and it's not like this roster sucks or anything. It's definitely what dreams are made of.

Supposedly the leak also has merit because there's a render of the Grinch's back up there that's nowhere else on the internet, hence why it's been dubbed the "Grinch" leak.

Still...seems a bit...too perfect. Plus, that blurriness. Like...how the hell can you see anything?

18 minutes ago, Dai said:

Supposedly the leak also has merit because there's a render of the Grinch's back up there that's nowhere else on the internet, hence why it's been dubbed the "Grinch" leak.

Still...seems a bit...too perfect. Plus, that blurriness. Like...how the hell can you see anything?

Actually, that's not the case. Both renders have been seen:

1540425669892.png
proxy.png

Ultimately, the issue is that assumptions can go either way and nothing really confirms or debunks it. The only thing if note is that it requires a very liberal interpretation of what Sakurai's stressed and that 5 unique characters (including 2 third party characters) seems like way too much for a single direct.

Also, the supposed "Chadindorf" leak from 4chan that is said to tie into it makes claim that Ray from Custom Robo was a cut newcomer. ...Except Nintendo lost the series' trademark in mid-2016, not long after development began on the game.

28 minutes ago, Dai said:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why i'm on Team Fake.

Like, i know Sakurai's looking at the Ballot but even with that, the leaked characters here are really fan-favority and in the case of two of them, very safe.

@The DanMan I recall someone saying it hadn’t been seen otherwise. My bad.

Mach Rider kinda...seems odd to me. Going off a google search, his design seems to be the least standout thing ever. Just looks like 80’s biker dude to me.

I don't want to believe it real, mostly because of one of two whom it lacks (but of course DLC could fix that- hope BTW that they don't announce that too early).

Also

Spoiler

As much as I enjoyed B&K as a child, Rare owns all the rights to them and now works for Nintendo's lesser rival. I recall hearing that Microsoft being big on cross-system play some time ago, but would that extend so far to something like this where they wouldn't benefit all that much?

As for Best Philly Cheesesteaks (but you can't go wrong with any reputable place there), I have fondish memories of SMRPG, but I doubt he'd be in and alongside Issac. That is 2 dead JRPG (I hate you Dark Dawn!) characters. Seems excessive, JRPGs are great for Smash, but they aren't the only crowd to cater to.

Welp. There was a characterless version of the background at Nintendo's E3 booth, and Vaanrose (who was part of the ESRB leaker group) has done a comparison between it and the one in the leak: https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion-warning-possible-spoilers-leaks.434391/post-2258873

8 notable differences, most of them relating to areas covered up by characters in the full version.

Might not be the killing blow for some, but it's definitely kneecapped it. Almost poetic how one of the guys involved in the ESRB leak shot down what people were taking to be Ultimate's equivalent.

15 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Welp. There was a characterless version of the background at Nintendo's E3 booth, and Vaanrose (who was part of the ESRB leaker group) has done a comparison between it and the one in the leak: https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-ultimate-discussion-warning-possible-spoilers-leaks.434391/post-2258873

8 notable differences, most of them relating to areas covered up by characters in the full version.

Might not be the killing blow for some, but it's definitely kneecapped it. Almost poetic how one of the guys involved in the ESRB leak shot down what people were taking to be Ultimate's equivalent.

I'd actually be disappointed if it's fake, but at least I won't know who's coming, mostly because Isaac and B&K are two I want and kind of expect. Plus Shadow is stupid and deserves to be forgotten.

Edited by Slumber

32 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I'd actually be disappointed if it's fake, but at least I won't know who's coming, mostly because Isaac and B&K are two I want and kind of expect. Plus Shadow is stupid and deserves to be forgotten.

Ur just mad you didn't know how to recruit him permanently

5bd139004ec56_shadowff6.png.828fa3b50032f311879b66076ab3e9fe.png

More interesting development regarding the banner leak. I’ve watched some this guy’s videos before and he’s definitely the earnest type, so I highly doubt he’s lying about this. Doesn’t solidify anything yet, but I’m feeling more convinced now.

If it is real, I have two separate responses:

Response 1: The mature and optimistic.

Spoiler

Well, this means I didn't get a single one of my most-wanted characters. I only actually wrote out a top 5, but even were I to extend it to top 10 I'm pretty sure none of the newcomers would be on it. I literally haven't played any of the games these final five are from. And yeah, some of my most-wanted were longshots (Anna, 2B), but Dixie Kong missing out again kind of stings.

However...I can't deny that this is a solid set of newcomers. A lot of people will be happy. And since a lot of fan favorites made it in, the likes of Dixie and Shantae stand that much greater of a chance of being DLC.

Regardless, this roster is massive and there are still plenty of characters on it I love even if none of the newcomers are included in that, so I can't possibly be mad.

Response 2: The immature knee-jerk.

Spoiler

7 more and all of them are dudes, stupid fucking sausage fest.

40 minutes ago, Dai said:

Duck Hunt Echo with ninja stars and stabbing instead of a beak and bullets.

Yeah, Duck Hunt Dog was definitely my first go-to as well. It just makes sense like no other character in the roster does. 

5 minutes ago, Florete said:

If it is real, I have two separate responses:

Response 1: The mature and optimistic.

Reveal hidden contents

Well, this means I didn't get a single one of my most-wanted characters. I only actually wrote out a top 5, but even were I to extend it to top 10 I'm pretty sure none of the newcomers would be on it. I literally haven't played any of the games these final five are from. And yeah, some of my most-wanted were longshots (Anna, 2B), but Dixie Kong missing out again kind of stings.

However...I can't deny that this is a solid set of newcomers. A lot of people will be happy. And since a lot of fan favorites made it in, the likes of Dixie and Shantae stand that much greater of a chance of being DLC.

Regardless, this roster is massive and there are still plenty of characters on it I love even if none of the newcomers are included in that, so I can't possibly be mad.

Response 2: The immature knee-jerk.

Reveal hidden contents

7 more and all of them are dudes, stupid fucking sausage fest.

Hey. 

We don't know what Mach Rider looks like under the helmet. They could be a girl.

And Kazooie is a girl.

Edited by Slumber