Obscure Favorites?

Fox

I've already mentioned Freedom Fighters on another thread.

The Megaman Legends series is a favorite of mine as well.

Hearts of Iron II could qualify as obscure.

Also, the most under-rated Sid Meier game of all time, Simgolf. 8D

Finally, I loved the old impression games city builders Pharaoh and Emperor:Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearts of Iron II could qualify as obscure.

You play Hearts of Iron? I love Hearts of Iron. Tell me, would you perchance be interested in an online game? I've been trying to set one up for forever.

Also, on topic, my obsucre fravortes are the awesome space 4X Masters of Orion 2, and basically every Dragon Quest, which qualifie as "cult" in America.

Edited by Admrial Daala

Obscure you say...try getting more obscure than these two:

-Nonono Puzzle Chairian

-Suujin Taisen

Well when you see the publsiher you'll go "thats not obscur...how did I miss that?"

I'd also say MaBoShi: the Three Shape Arcade on WiiWare but there isn't anything obscure about it (except for the fact that months alter it still isn't out in America...its even ESRB rated under the title MaBoShi's Arcade)

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Riviera: The Promised Land yet. That was an amazing RPG on every level, and I enjoyed all four of my playthroughs of it.

Also on that list is No More Heroes, though thankfully with the sequel coming it shouldn't stand in the shadows of obscurity for too much longer.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Riviera: The Promised Land yet. That was an amazing RPG on every level, and I enjoyed all four of my playthroughs of it.

Also on that list is No More Heroes, though thankfully with the sequel coming it shouldn't stand in the shadows of obscurity for too much longer.

Riviera: I didn't think of it. Riviera is good.

NMH: Is it really obscure?

Farland Story!

It was a pretty basic Fire Emblem clone, but had a few different things; it worked (at least the first few games) on a hex grid rather than a square one; death wasn't permanent, and your clerics could revive fallen comrades; weapons didn't wear out and items (but not the weapons) were all usable out of the shared convoy no matter where the character was.

It was pretty easy in it's original incarnation though. One thing it did have over the earlier fire emblems was a lot more dialogue. As there was no permadeath it concentrated on a smaller cast rather than the larger FE one.

One funny thing I find is that Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn seems to have a few things introduced from the first Farland Story games.

While in FE1 arguably cast Camus as the 'Black Knight', PoR/RD's Black Knight was an armoured figure who's identity is revealed later on in the game, near the time of his defeat. This is very similar to the Black Knight in Farland Story, although the FS one was more antagonistic (and probably countless other clichéd fantasy stories).

One other funny thing is the Bard in FS (performing the same function, giving a turn to another character after they've moved) is a blonde, winged girl not too dissimilar to the Herons in PoR/RD

You play Hearts of Iron? I love Hearts of Iron. Tell me, would you perchance be interested in an online game? I've been trying to set one up for forever.

IIRC, there were a couple other HoI fans on FESS, I'm not sure if they moved to SF or not.

And sorry, I don't play online HoI. I like to go at my own pace. :(

NMH: Is it really obscure?

If it's not obscure, it's certainly underrated.

is Riviera really good?

i tried to play it once, but it failed to capture my interest. the storyline seemed really good, though.

What I've noticed with Riviera is that it tends to be hit or slightly off target; reviews were pretty mixed for it. However, the storyline was very good.

It does eventually go to the somewhat cliched 'I'm evil, and I'm gonna take over the world' as the game goes on, but it still puts a nice twist in there by being all 'and to do it I'm gonna destroy an entire world to get enough souls to summon this demon thingie'.

I suggest you give it another try. (Did you stop in the middle of the annoying tutorial level?)

IIRC, there were a couple other HoI fans on FESS, I'm not sure if they moved to SF or not.

Realy? Interesting...

And sorry, I don't play online HoI. I like to go at my own pace. :(

Are you sure? It be very casual game, and online games usually don't move all that fast anyways. But if your deadset against it I'll stop bugging you.

Edited by Admrial Daala

Reblestar: Tactical Command (GBA).

Due to low development costs, this game's price tag is virtually non-existant (got it for about $10 at K-Mart a few years back, I think it was $5 off). It falls into the RPG genre, with your characters and the enemies taking turns. Units spend Action Points (APs) to do anything, move, shoot, reload, etc.

To shoot an enemy, it helps to see it. That's right, lines of sight. Wall in the way? Throw a grenade at it, and walk through the hole.

The plot is complete and utter crap, and should be ignored. The gameplay is where its at. And the gameplay is solid.

Only problem is loading times of maps, and sometimes lag when playing. Yep, lag on a GBA game. Those development costs were pretty damn cheap.

Rebelstar was made by the guys who did the Excellent X-Com games for the PC in the early 90s. Too bad Rebelstar just dumped the base building and research and went for combat only.

I wanted to like the game but it was obvious the GBA couldn't handle it. HUGE lag and annoying controls turned me off.

Are you sure? It be very casual game, and online games usually don't move all that fast anyways. But if your deadset against it I'll stop bugging you.

Yeah, I'm sorry :( I haven't played HoI for nearly 6 months now and prolly won't again till Hearts of Iron III rolls around. :(

If it's not obscure, it's certainly underrated.

What I've noticed with Riviera is that it tends to be hit or slightly off target; reviews were pretty mixed for it. However, the storyline was very good.

It does eventually go to the somewhat cliched 'I'm evil, and I'm gonna take over the world' as the game goes on, but it still puts a nice twist in there by being all 'and to do it I'm gonna destroy an entire world to get enough souls to summon this demon thingie'.

I suggest you give it another try. (Did you stop in the middle of the annoying tutorial level?)

i only ever got to the part where Fia and Lina join you.

:mellow:

Probably Etrian Odyssey 2 for me.

I found myself playing it for hours when I first got it.

I love the character designs although some people kind of find it too cute for their taste.

Erm, Golden Sun. Like FE it gained some attention but not too much.

I liked Lamborghini 64. It's a very basic race game. There are only 6 tracks and you start with 2 cars and have to win the others. The irony is: You start with 2 Lamborghinis but the cars you win are Ferraris and other brands. The cars were never mentioned by name though.

V-Rally was a nice rally game, but always in the shadow of Colin McRae.

Oh, has anybody played Transport Tycoon?

God Hand has been added to my list of favourite obscure games. I'm still amazed at how that game manages to be so freakin' awesome. I played through it once, I'm playing through it again...I don't ever replay a game the instant I beat it, so this must mean something!

Everything about the game is just perfect. Characters, gameplay, dialogue, story, music, difficulty...everything, man!

Edited by Nightmare

Has anyone heard of Live-A-Live.

That game was only released in Japan, but, damn, AGTP made one of their best patches with this game.

It's short, and it's tons of fun, too.

Last time I played it was with the old patch. There's a really nice one, complete with custom fonts per chapter theme--I'm been meaning to try it out again, as the last time, I got to the end and never bothered finishing.

Orsted is a rather nice character, in each of his chapters.