Looking For Certain RPGs

Dismissed

7th Dragon III: Code VFD on the 3DS might fit the bill. Every member of the party can be customized to your liking, kinda like early Final Fantasy. The only downside is that it does somewhat break immersion in the story when established characters act as if your party is just one person but other than that, if you're looking for parties that can be built from the ground up, i think this is a good option.

Icewind Dale 1+2 I suppose.

I suppose not everyone knows this but good old Baldur's Gate can do that too. Though in those games it's a bit more complicated to set that up.

Edit: I just did a quick test with Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition to see if it's still possible to create a whole party by starting a local multiplayer campaign and then transforming it into a single player campaign. It can still be done, but it now requires some manual moving and renaming of the save file because the EE stores multiplayer save files separate from the single player files.

Edit 2: Nevermind, the Enhanced Edition actually turned this into a proper feature. There is a "Create Party" option in Single Player now.

Edited by BrightBow

Temple of Elemental Evil.

Neverwinter Nights 2 (though specifically, the Storm of Zehir expansion)

Pillars of Eternity (though I haven't played it myself)

Divinity Original Sin 2 has pre-created characters, but you can replace them with custom characters (though I think you need to do some multiplayer shenanigans like Baldur's Gate)

Dungeon crawlers like Legend of Grimrock or the Wizardry series.

Edited by Tryhard

Crimson Shroud takes lots of inspiration from classic tabletop miniature RPGs, but the characters are predefined. However, I highly recommend it since it is an awesome title and has a gorgeous aesthetic. The only downside of Crimson Shroud is there is one chapter that requires a certain item to progress and it can be difficult to acquire said item, especially without a guide.

There is also the classic Baldur's Gate series, but that is best experienced with the pre-defined characters (aside from your avatar, who is custom). Come on, who can resist Minsc and his faithful companion Boo? Also, making a full custom party can be a bit finicky, although I never tried it myself.

If you are looking more of the D&D feel but want more of an action RPG instead of a turn-based one, I recommend Dragon's Dogma. You create your main character and traveling companion while hiring other adventurers (who are made by other players if playing online). There is also a lot of party chatter which I personally enjoyed.

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

Temple of Elemental Evil.

Neverwinter Nights 2 (though specifically, the Storm of Zehir expansion)

Pillars of Eternity (though I haven't played it myself)

Divinity Original Sin 2 has pre-created characters, but you can replace them with custom characters (though I think you need to do some multiplayer shenanigans like Baldur's Gate)

Dungeon crawlers like Legend of Grimrock or the Wizardry series.

Divinity Original Sin 2 even has a "tabletop" mode, so I think it fits the bill for what he is looking for.

50 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Divinity Original Sin 2 even has a "tabletop" mode, so I think it fits the bill for what he is looking for.

that and Divinity Original Sin 2 is very very good so people should play it

1 hour ago, Sire said:

There is also the classic Baldur's Gate series, but that is best experienced with the pre-defined characters (aside from your avatar, who is custom). Come on, who can resist Minsc and his faithful companion Boo? Also, making a full custom party can be a bit finicky, although I never tried it myself.

I only just now noticed it but the Enhanced Edition actually added a "Create Party" option when starting a new game. So the whole process is entirely straightforward now.

It's also probably worth noting that Icewind Dale uses the same engine as Baldur's Gate except it does not feature predetermined characters at all. It's actually intended to be played with an entire party of custom characters.

Also, screw Minsc. Seriously, that guy constantly tries to murder the player or other NPCs for even the slightest provocation (and sometimes for no reason at all, like right at the start of BG2), yet he is somehow supposed to be Chaotic Good? Yeah, no.

Edited by BrightBow

19 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Also, screw Minsc. Seriously, that guy constantly tries to murder the player or other NPCs for even the slightest provocation (and sometimes for no reason at all, like right at the start of BG2), yet he is somehow supposed to be Chaotic Good? Yeah, no.

I always thought he should be chaotic neutral (I think he's actually Neutral Good, at least in BG1). typically insane people could be characterised as that (if they aren't xzar). he also doesn't seem like a ranger to me either.

7 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

I always thought he should be chaotic neutral (I think he's actually Neutral Good, at least in BG1). typically insane people could be characterised as that (if they aren't xzar). he also doesn't seem like a ranger to me either.

Yeah, being a Ranger with a negative wisdom modifier doesn't make much sense as far as I can see. My guess is that he was supposed to be a Berserker but since the vanilla game doesn't have them he ended up as a Ranger. I mean, he even has a "Berserk" special ability.

Edited by BrightBow

9 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Icewind Dale 1+2 I suppose.

I suppose not everyone knows this but good old Baldur's Gate can do that too. Though in those games it's a bit more complicated to set that up.

Edit: I just did a quick test with Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition to see if it's still possible to create a whole party by starting a local multiplayer campaign and then transforming it into a single player campaign. It can still be done, but it now requires some manual moving and renaming of the save file because the EE stores multiplayer save files separate from the single player files.

Edit 2: Nevermind, the Enhanced Edition actually turned this into a proper feature. There is a "Create Party" option in Single Player now.

Which version of Baldur's Gate? I tried the GBA version, which was quite lacking, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Dragon Quest: Sentinels of the Starry Skies allows this too. But it can be pretty grindy.

Got bored of it after a while.

36 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

Which version of Baldur's Gate? I tried the GBA version, which was quite lacking, in my opinion.

I legit didn't even know there was a GBA version, lol. But that was a "port" of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, which is a hack n' slash game compared to what the Baldur's Gate games on PC were. I still really enjoyed the PS2 version, but it's not exactly what you were wanting.

I'd just get Baldur's Gate (1 and 2 - in which 2 is generally considered better but it is directly correlated and you can import your character into the second game from the first where you left off) Enhanced Edition on Steam/PC.

They are older games that use the Advanced D&D systems. Newer D&D licensed games like Neverwinter Nights take the 3e or 3.5e system. Other games that are their own design but are inspired by D&D are games like Divinity: Original Sin 2, which happens to be the newest of all the ones listed, as most of the others can be quite old.

There's also the first Pathfinder licensed game coming out later this year where the devs confirmed you'd be able to make a custom party (though it wouldn't be directly from new game, I think you need to get some time in)

Edited by Tryhard

Among what I’ve played...

Full player created parties:

Darkest Dungeon, Pillars of Eternety, Divinity Original Sin, Icewind Dale, Baldur’s Gate, Legend of Grimrock, any 90’s dungeon crawler like Might and Magic.

Almost fully creatable but enough characters to mess with and customize:

Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, Fallout 1/2, Wasteland, Archanum.

That’s all I can think of right now.