The official Shanty Pete appreciation thread

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Surprisingly, the old thread for translating the Japanese supports doesn't have that one. I found the relevant line:

嚼嚼…哎、哎呀? 
这喝的是什么时候? 
莫非是…卡拉姆さん? 
在附近吗? 

Not sure he's there either. Anyway, I just wanted to know. And it seems it's true he seems to be English only.

Admitedly, it is a bit of a shame. Then again, pre-Awakening it was a little out of place, in my opinion, to have something seemingly shared in various continents with no apparent connection. But now, with the multiverse being a thing... it is a bit of a unifying factor of lore. Transdimensional pirate. Plundering the seven seas of every outrealm.

But yeah, being a localization only thing, and just of one at that, means we might not see him in any official capacity. Or who knows. I'm sure the source company using something from a localization ain't a new thing in this business... who knows...

I actually find it cooler as a pre Awakening thing. Manaketes and Dark Tomes might not be consistent, but Shanty Pete exists regardless, just like Killing Edges.

Copy pasting something from a past post of mine about "The Legend of Shanty Pete..."

'twould be the story of a fearsome pirate who singlehandedly defeated a Dagon after it bit off his leg, had his hand replaced with the sharpest and pointiest hook hand ever crafted after loosing it in a duel, who's mighty parrot could turn into a Phoenix and destroy entire fleets, and who's briny beard alone could strike fear into the most hardened of sailors and soldiers alike!

He was not only a terror among the seas, but across entire worlds (okay, only Archanea, Tellius, and whatever continent Fates was set on, but still), and his name is still told even thousands of years after his demise! And some say that he's still out their, with his ghostly crew just waiting to pillage any brave or foolhardy ship that dare steal his mountains of treasure!

On the lighter side of things, he DID start an orphanage and had some skill on dancing on barrels of rum.

And as a historical in-joke, his real name would be Edward.

I searched up two topics just to recall all the information on Shanty Pete, looked through this site to remember what a Dagon was called, and found out whether or not 'twould is an actual word. All that, just to make this joke.

(Also copied-pasted:)

Seriously though, Shanty Pete needs to appear as hard-to-reach, tough-as-nails bonus level, where you have to fight his ghostly crew on his giant pirate ship, while Shanty Pete himself would have a unique class and maxed out stats. The reward would be unlimited gold, or something along those lines, as the level should be THAT hard to justify such a reward. (It probably won't happen due to legal issues, but it be cool if Spinal made a cameo as his first mate).

Or as an unlockable mini-game about dancing on barrels of rum, with the the game increasing in difficult as time passes on, and the situation continues to escalate into the enjoyably absurd, ridiculous, and awesome. Sword fighting a dragon while dancing on a stampede of barrels of rum while on a collapsing ship in the middle of a hurricane, anyone?

...I need to stop playing Blustone. It's been making me weird recently.

Edited by Hawkwing

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Surprisingly, the old thread for translating the Japanese supports doesn't have that one. I found the relevant line:

嚼嚼…哎、哎呀? 
这喝的是什么时候? 
莫非是…卡拉姆さん? 
在附近吗? 

Not sure he's there either. Anyway, I just wanted to know. And it seems it's true he seems to be English only.

Admitedly, it is a bit of a shame. Then again, pre-Awakening it was a little out of place, in my opinion, to have something seemingly shared in various continents with no apparent connection. But now, with the multiverse being a thing... it is a bit of a unifying factor of lore. Transdimensional pirate. Plundering the seven seas of every outrealm.

But yeah, being a localization only thing, and just of one at that, means we might not see him in any official capacity. Or who knows. I'm sure the source company using something from a localization ain't a new thing in this business... who knows...

One of Kellam's supports are missing...Are you really surprised?

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

One of Kellam's supports are missing...Are you really surprised?

The irony was not lost on me, I assure you. lol

5 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Copy pasting something from a past post of mine about "The legend of Shanty Pete..."

'twould be the story of a fearsome pirate who singlehandedly defeated a Dagon after it bit off his leg, had his hand replaced with the sharpest and pointiest hook hand ever crafted after loosing it in a duel, who's mighty parrot could turn into a Phoenix and destroy entire fleets, and who's briny beard alone could strike fear into the most hardened of sailors and soldiers alike!

He was not only a terror among the seas, but across entire worlds (okay, only Archanea, Tellius, and whatever continent Fates was set on, but still), and his name is still told even thousands of years after his demise! And some say that he's still out their, with his ghostly

On the lighter side of things, he DID start an orphanage and had some skill on dancing on barrels of rum.

I searched up two topics just to recall all the information on Shanty Pete, looked through this site to remember what a Dagon was called, and found out whether or not 'twould is an actual word. All that, just to make this joke.

(Also copied-pasted:)

Seriously though, Shanty Pete needs to appear as hard-to-reach, tough-as-nails bonus level, where you have to fight his ghostly crew on his giant pirate ship, while Shanty Pete himself would have a unique class and maxed out stats. The reward would be unlimited gold, or something along those lines, as the level should be THAT hard to justify such a reward. (It probably won't happen due to legal issues, but it be cool if Spinal made a cameo as his first mate).

Or as an unlockable mini-game about dancing on barrels of rum, with the the game increasing in difficult as time passes on, and the situation continues to escalate into the enjoyably absurd, ridiculous, and awesome. Sword fighting a dragon while dancing on a stampede of barrels of rum while on a collapsing ship in the middle of a hurricane, anyone?

...I need to stop playing Blustone. It's been making me weird recently.

Bro that needs to happen

Fun Fact: I made an OC for my Fire Emblem: Ascension project based on the amusing idea of having Shanty Pete be a playable character.

Spoiler

And also on the idea that they're actually a woman.  I couldn't remember if Shanty Pete's gender was ever explicitly stated, but whatever.  I eventually want to redraw this character and update her bio for my story revisions.

von_s_fire_emblem_ocs__petricia_by_vonit

11 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Huh, seems like he only exists in the English version. I'm a little disappointed as it means we'll never actually see Shanty Pete, but props to the localizers for making and maintaining their own little meme. Especially since it's pretty obscure and I think several different companies actually worked on the games.

Japanese writers pay homage to the English localizations often enough that I can still hope against hope that Shanty Pete will make an appearance in an FE game. I can't even begin to list the ways Square STILL references goofy lines(And the Japanese teams, not just the English localizations referencing older ones) from before FF8 when they started handling translations in-house. 

Transdimensional Uber-Pirate makes me think of Atomsk from FLCL. Granted he was just galactic, but still. 

I think I heard his name mentioned somewhere in Echoes, but I forget where. Anyway, I guess it would be cool to see him as an actual character in an FE game.

But, uh..... how do we know if we've seen him already or not as a different character under a different name?

12 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

5ad55be50c85d_Edward_Artwork_(FE10)butitsameme.png.9faf178dd5133e4c0f646e965f51719a.png Can you really imagine this kid becoming a legendary pirate

I love all these ideas; this needs to be a real game! (I don’t think IS would do it; I wonder if it’s legal to make a fan game of it?) 

I remember a few Awakening supports mentioned a book about him; Shanty Pete and the Haunted Pirates. (I don’t know if the haunted pirates are his crew or his enemies though. But leading a crew of ghost pirates would be awesome) 

8 minutes ago, ShadowAlchemist said:

I love all these ideas; this needs to be a real game! (I don’t think IS would do it; I wonder if it’s legal to make a fan game of it?) 

I remember a few Awakening supports mentioned a book about him; Shanty Pete and the Haunted Pirates. (I don’t know if the haunted pirates are his crew or his enemies though. But leading a crew of ghost pirates would be awesome) 

He's like the Flying Dutchman in death, except cooler.

11 minutes ago, AlmondJuice said:

5ad55be50c85d_Edward_Artwork_(FE10)butitsameme.png.9faf178dd5133e4c0f646e965f51719a.png Can you really imagine this kid becoming a legendary pirate

I can barely imagine that kid not being yelled at for eating his boogers and putting his hands down his pants in public. 

8 hours ago, Slumber said:

Japanese writers pay homage to the English localizations often enough that I can still hope against hope that Shanty Pete will make an appearance in an FE game. I can't even begin to list the ways Square STILL references goofy lines(And the Japanese teams, not just the English localizations referencing older ones) from before FF8 when they started handling translations in-house. 

Transdimensional Uber-Pirate makes me think of Atomsk from FLCL. Granted he was just galactic, but still. 

Certainly everything's possible. But I think Shanty Pete is a bit of an obscure in joke. The reason Final Fantasy pays homage to all it's spoony lines is because fans made a big deal out of it...which just means WE have to have more threads like this and spread the glorious gospel of Pete if we want to see him in the future. Let IS know Shanty Pete is a thing and we love him!

3 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Please, Shanty Pete makes this guy look like a wimp

I know, I'm just saying it would be a nice in-joke for history buffs if that was his real name.

Wait, this isn't Rusty Pete.

Anyways, Shanty Pete should be the arc boss of a prequel.

You've seen him cause destruction before then, so you'll have reasons for wanting to end the pirate crew and Shanty Pete himself. Hell, give an optional recruitment that has consequences.

Just putting something out there.

26 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I'm still surprised nobody has mentioned his arch-rival, Jaunty Skeet. We're like two pages in, guys, come on!

Jaunty Skeet is the main antagonist who Is trying to do.... something I dunno

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

Shanty Pete is a tried-and-true Pirate, through-and-through, while Jaunty Skeet, coward that he be, sold himself to the landlubbers and now sails the seas as a dirty rott'n Privateer, the scallywag, huntin' our fair Cap'n with all his scurvy heart 'n' soul!

17 hours ago, Slumber said:

I can barely imagine that kid not being yelled at for eating his boogers and putting his hands down his pants in public. 

This is the best sentence I've ever had the honor to read.

3 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Jaunty Skeet is the main antagonist who Is trying to do.... something I dunno

Assuming that Shanty Pete ain't the nicest guy around, my guess would be that Jaunty Skeet is the guy trying to be the hero and oppose Shanty Pete, but fails horribly.