Wyvern Rider weapons

Corrobin

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

FE6: Garret has 30% critical boost, making him much better then if he was any other class. Gonzales has the constitution to double with axes, has good base stats, especially on hard, and gets 30% critical boost. Geese is an accurate axe user with good skill growth and after promotion Short version, FE6 Berserkers aren't quite as good as sword masters, but they are still one of the best classes in the game. Fighters are admittedly bad, though Bartre is a pretty good pre promote.

30% extra crit honestly does not make up for shaky accuracy, nor being axe-locked in probably the single worst game to be locked to axes in. 65 base hit on the most accurate axes??? Count me out. Capital O, capital U, capital T. No way I'm going to have anything to do with them. Especially knowing they need a Hero Crest to promote, which doesn't help. Gonzales does have high Con, but I consider that just as much of a negative as it could be a positive, if not more so, all because FE6 maps are ginormous. And he's still blind as a Zubat, which is NOT a good thing. So I don't see what makes Berserkers so amazing when their weapon choice hampers them.

FE8: Dozla isn't one of the better pre promotes, yes. Ross is easily the greatest out of the FE8 trainees. Two Secret shops sells ocean crests, so there's not much competition between them.

Which is pretty hollow praise, if I may be honest. Also, the secret shop that sells Ocean Seals isn't until 2/3 of the way through the game.

FE9: The overseas version of the Berserker gets a +15 critical bonus which I woulds say is pretty good. Overall, this is a rare game where I'd say Warriors are better then Berserkers.

That could honestly be chalked up to Boyd just being a better unit than Largo, mostly because of availability (Largo doesn't show up until chapter 25).

FE11/FE12: Darros is bad in FE11 & ok in FE12, but Berserker Barst/MyUnit/Wolf is a mainstay of any team in the campaign or multiplayer.

I would honestly say this is hyping up the units themselves rather than the class.

FE13:  While you don't get one naturally, Berserker is still one of the better classes, especially compared to crap like Awakening General or Griffon Knight.

Stats alone aren't everything - skills are also a consideration. And Berserker falls flat skill wise (sure, Axefaire is good, but Wrath is rather lame in Awakening). Also, Second Seals are limited for most of the game.

FE14: Several people would disagree with Charlotte.

I would wager that that is NOT on the grounds of her being a good unit, because she isn't one between her coming underleveled, shaky accuracy, and being a glass cannon type of unit in a game where such units have it rough. In fact, most of, if not all of the praise I see for her is because of her being a good pair up bot, which honestly means little to me.

In general, Pirate/Brigand gets a better performance then Fighter. Most handheld fighters are average, but Fighters on the post FE4 console games are all great.

Which isn't saying much when they're still a pretty lame class. And I would say that RD Boyd is not that good.

3 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I would honestly say this is hyping up the units themselves rather than the class.

I'll make this short so as not to clog the topic.

Those characters are significantly worse in other classes. 

DS Berserker is good because it wields axes in a game filled with lance enemies, has the second higher speed cap, has max strength, and has a critical bonus. Only a small selection of classes are valid on Lunatic FE12's final quarters, with Berserker among them.

10 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I'll make this short so as not to clog the topic.

Those characters are significantly worse in other classes. 

DS Berserker is good because it wields axes in a game filled with lance enemies, has the second higher speed cap, has max strength, and has a critical bonus. Only a small selection of classes are valid on Lunatic FE12's final quarters, with Berserker among them.

Is FE12 that lance heavy? I know SD is. Anyway, regarding Lunatic, I'd chalk that up to questionable game design if I'm forced into one of several classes just to have a chance. To say nothing of needing a maxed Marth for Medeus and a mage good enough to kill Gharnef... Why do people think FE12 Lunatic is a good difficulty again? It sounds as BS as Awakening Lunatic does...

45 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Is FE12 that lance heavy? I know SD is. Anyway, regarding Lunatic, I'd chalk that up to questionable game design if I'm forced into one of several classes just to have a chance. To say nothing of needing a maxed Marth for Medeus and a mage good enough to kill Gharnef... Why do people think FE12 Lunatic is a good difficulty again? It sounds as BS as Awakening Lunatic does...

FE12 is quite lance heavy, not as much as FE11, but there's quite a bit of lances throughout most of the game. Enemies still love Paladins, Generals,  and Dracoknights. Berserkers are the perfect counter for such classes and by the final maps will be one of the only units doubling.

Well the FE franchise usually has unbalanced classes. The DS remakes are actually some of the better with class balance in that some classes like General are actually good for the early-mid game.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

8 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Even in stuff like heroes, Warriors and Berserkers are always last pick, hence axe representation comes from Generals, Heroes, and Wyverns over them.

I find Heroes to be a pretty good indication of just how much axes got shafted over the years and how this limits the green units when it comes to representation. In the earlier games axe users are kind of an afterthought when it comes to characterization, they tend not to get a lot of it. In the first six games the only axe users I'd say are relevant and fleshed out are Minerva(who used to be a lance user) and then Bartre and maybe Lex but even Lex is pushing it. You got a pretty sympathetic Gonzales but he's also firmly into the camp of minor characters. 

Later games do it a lot better. Blazing blade even gave us an Axe lord who's already in Heroes. Tellius and Sacred Stones have pretty decent axe users. Fans and dev alike love Haar, Boyd is one of the more prominent Greil mercenaries and while not important characters I feel Garcia and Ross are pretty well characterized for axe users. Sacred stones even has a great axe using villain in Calleach. The problem is that these games with the good axe users are also the games Heroes just doesn't like focusing on. Garcia in Heres aint gonna happen because more Sacred Stones reps aint gonna happen for instance and Lex getting in requires genealogy getting enough attention that even minor characters get in which I find doubtful. 

When taking the games Heroes likes the pick from there's not a lot to chose from when it comes to axes. I guess there's Basillio for Awakening, he's pretty great. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I find Heroes to be a pretty good indication of just how much axes got shafted over the years and how this limits the green units when it comes to representation. In the earlier games axe users are kind of an afterthought when it comes to characterization, they tend not to get a lot of it. In the first six games the only axe users I'd say are relevant and fleshed out are Minerva(who used to be a lance user) and then Bartre and maybe Lex but even Lex is pushing it. You got a pretty sympathetic Gonzales but he's also firmly into the camp of minor characters. 

Later games do it a lot better. Blazing blade even gave us an Axe lord who's already in Heroes. Tellius and Sacred Stones have pretty decent axe users. Fans and dev alike love Haar, Boyd is one of the more prominent Greil mercenaries and while not important characters I feel Garcia and Ross are pretty well characterized for axe users. Sacred stones even has a great axe using villain in Calleach. The problem is that these games with the good axe users are also the games Heroes just doesn't like focusing on. Garcia in Heres aint gonna happen because more Sacred Stones reps aint gonna happen for instance and Lex getting in requires genealogy getting enough attention that even minor characters get in which I find doubtful. 

When taking the games Heroes likes the pick from there's not a lot to chose from when it comes to axes. I guess there's Basillio for Awakening, he's pretty great. 

I'm not going to count Minerva as she didn't touch axes until the DS era. Same with Samson.

Its notable with the 77 characters of FE12, you just get 1 single Berserker!

In FE4, its pretty much just Lex for the major axe users. Even among the villains, Neir is easily the least influential of the Grannevalian noble families.

FE5 has Dagdar, a Jagen archetype unit with quite a bit of story focus, and Xavier, a notable Lorenz type unit, for axe units with Story influence. I'd also argue Orsin has some importance with his relationship with Tania, a fair bit of dialogue throughout the story and most of all, a personal weapon exclusive to himself.

Kaga's other games, Tearring Saga, appear to be more like Thracia 776. In Tearring Saga, axe using classes are rare, but good. One of the Warrior characters is a King with a story role.

Berwick Saga is pretty great with axe representation. The Navarre character is a Fighter  with plenty of plot focus. There's also a Pirate, who is more important then most Brigand type playable characters from what I gather. 

Gonzales is a fan favorite, he really should be in Heroes, also giving the brigand class a much needed rep in the game.

It is pretty telling Boyd is absent I feel, he is both popular and important. He was also absent in Awakening spot pass, despite all the myrmidon line units of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn being present.

Edited by Emperor Hardin