Dragoncat

Nasty weather  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's the worst?

• Blizzards
    • Strong wind
    • Downpouring rain
    • Other/can't decide

It's raining buckets outside right now so I thought I'd make this topic. What nasty weather do you see most often, and which kind annoys you the most?

I'll just say right now, that thing about Wyoming having nasty wind is TRUE. It annoys me to no end when it happens. We also tend to get snow much longer than it's welcome.

9 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Living in Florida, I have to deal with Hurricanes each Summer. Almost every day  I look at the weather reports hoping at there isn't a disturbance in the tropics.

Yeah luckily I don't have those, BUT tornadoes can be an issue.

Other: natural disasters.

I live in a Montana valley; we are practically home to nasty blizzards, heavy winds, and crazy downpours.

But the worst we experience is fire season.  When the forests are burning from dryness and heat, the smoke envelopes most cities.  It can get to the point that even when you're inside, you smell smoke.  And sometimes these fires drive people from their homes.  Not only that, but some fires are really bad for the environment; they screw over the ecosystems and throw things out of wake for wildlife, which can and probably will affect us to some degree.

Hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes are bad as well.  Anything that has the capacity to outright destroy homes and kill are immensely worse than anything nature normally throws at us.  If I had to pick one of the more mild options, I'd probably say blizzards because I get sick of them.  Or just outright sunny weather.  Just pure heat is a travesty in and of itself when you get into the 90's and 100's.  It's a lot worse in the South for me because I'm used to relatively dry air and thus have a hard time handling humidity.

For me I live in the Chihuahuan desert and every spring the winds are horrid and go on for about two months an you can't do anything outside, my dad calls it la tormenta or to translate it to English the storm since it is a wind storm.  Rain can be bad if we get a big storm because then it floods.

Edited by EricaofRenais

5 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

For me I live in the Chihuahuan desert and every spring the winds are horrid and go on for about two months an you can't do anything outside, my dad calls it la tormenta or to translate it to English the storm since it is a wind storm.  Rain can be bad if we get a big storm because then it floods.

Damn, nasty wind in the desert would SUCK. All that sand blowing everywhere!

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Having lived in the Midwest, and in Chicago for part of that time, Blizzards are the worst.

Doesn't Chicago also get nasty rain? Or am I thinking Seattle?

Just now, Dragoncat said:

Doesn't Chicago also get nasty rain? Or am I thinking Seattle?

Yeah, but rain is nothing compared to the snow we get, and I remember the great Mississippi River flood of 1993.

Fire's can get pretty annoying where I live. The worst part is the smoke, if it gets really really bad you can barely see ten feet in front of you.

43 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Not only that, but some fires are really bad for the environment; they screw over the ecosystems and throw things out of wake for wildlife

I would just like to point out that fires (in west at least) are an important and natural part of the ecosystem most of the time. They help reintroduce nutrients into the soil (since we don't get a lot of rain to decompose the wood) and all native wildlife have ways of dealing with fires that they've developed over millions of years of living with them (some animals and plants depend on them) .It's only the really really big ones, which have been exacerbated by people putting fires out for so long that exorbitant amounts of brush and smaller trees build up (a lot of logging companies leave a lot of brush in the forest too but I won't get into that) and global warming to mention a few reasons, that screw with stuff super bad. I'm not trying to be adversarial or anything, I just don't want people to get the wrong idea about fires, and get in to the same mindset that got us into this mess in the first place. 

But other than that, barring anything super extreme like a hurricane, I actually really enjoy heavy rain and wind. 

Edited by ProfImpossible

Right now, an active volcano is A Thing on one of the islands.  The vog can be bad for people who are allergic to it (like me).  Otherwise, we worry about things like high winds, heavy rains, and false missile alerts.

Tornadoes/strong wind.

Everything else is foreseeable to some degree, but strong winds and tornadoes are seemingly the only weather phenomena that come out of absolutely nowhere, and they can just level large stretches of land in an instant. Always scared the hell out of me, and any time the sky turns green, I eye my basement door and constantly think "Boy I hope I can find all my pets and move them into the basement before I start hearing sirens."

2 minutes ago, ProfImpossible said:

I would just like to point out that fires (in west at least) are an important and natural part of the ecosystem most of the time. They help reintroduce nutrients into the soil (since we don't get a lot of rain to decompose the wood) and all native wildlife have ways of dealing with fires that they've developed over millions of years of living with them (some animals and plants depend on them) .It's only the really really big ones, which have been exacerbated by people putting fires out for so long that exorbitant of brush build up (a lot of logging companies leave a lot of brush in the forest too but I won't get into that) and global warming to mention a few reasons, that screw with stuff super bad. I'm not trying to be adversarial or anything, I just don't want people to get the wrong idea about fires, and get in to the same mindset that got us into this mess in the first place. 

That's why I said some; I'm mostly referring to those fires caused by excess brush, litter, and climate change exacerbating their size and longevity.  The ones that cause fog-like smoke to envelope my city for a month when normal fire seasons merely make it just a little smokey in the sky for a couple weeks.

I don't think you were being adversarial.  As the son of a former firefighter in an area where everyone wants to go camping in forests, and as someone who has lived in an area that's close to relatively dry forests, I know that many forest fires are just a natural part of the season and that a lot of wildlife has adapted to that.  It's important to recognize that some natural adversities such as fires or predators are vital for preserving future generations of all life in certain ecosystems.

41 minutes ago, eclipse said:

false missile alerts.

OMG, I heard about that and I swear it was one of the stupidest bullshit screwups I ever heard about.

Anyway, blizzards, no contest. The cold sucks, chilly wind sucks, and snow can suck. Put them all together and you have something that just TRIPLE sucks ass. Also can cause a lot of damage and trap you in your house because of the possibility of being snowed in. And you might lose power.

At least with something like hurricanes, you get warning far in advance enough to prepare and even evacuate to a safer location. Tornadoes are probably just as bad as blizzards though, as they're pretty much mini-hurricanes that come out of fuckin' nowhere.

Gonna be the first to say I actually hate intense sunlight.

My issue being that the moment I get hot, I complain about it a lot. And whilst many would argue about the cold weather being awful, at least you can always add more layers to yourself. On the other hand, however, I have no intention of removing my flesh...

If we're talking about 'dangerous' weather, I (probably amusingly) despise snow.

I'm the kind of person who appreciates solid footing and neutral body temperature so these.

Maybe it's because I'm British and the first thing to do every morning is complain about the weather...

41 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

at least you can always add more layers to yourself.

Not if you're someone like me who is just always cold in winter no matter how many layers I add. I could wear my heaviest coat over a sweat shirt over a long sleeve shirt with gloves, thick pants, and a winter hat and I'd still freeze. I just cannot get warm in winter. It's probably due to being pretty skinny and thus lacking much body fat. Fat traps heat. So I've got little to keep heat in.

Whereas this lets heat just bounce off me in warmer months, so I have some natural heat resistance. I don't even mind sweating, and I can walk in 90 degree temps for a bit without being bothered. I also don't sunburn easily despite being rather pale skinned. Besides, my favorite ways to vacation are summer things like water parks, amusement parks, zoos, etc. Basically outdoor stuff.

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

That's why I said some; I'm mostly referring to those fires caused by excess brush, litter, and climate change exacerbating their size and longevity.  The ones that cause fog-like smoke to envelope my city for a month when normal fire seasons merely make it just a little smokey in the sky for a couple weeks.

I don't think you were being adversarial.  As the son of a former firefighter in an area where everyone wants to go camping in forests, and as someone who has lived in an area that's close to relatively dry forests, I know that many forest fires are just a natural part of the season and that a lot of wildlife has adapted to that.  It's important to recognize that some natural adversities such as fires or predators are vital for preserving future generations of all life in certain ecosystems.

Ah, I see. Apologies, I wasn't sure. I wish more of the people in my area were as educated about this as you are.

Oh, I also really enjoy thunder and lightning. All things in moderation of course.

Edited by ProfImpossible

8 hours ago, Light Strategist said:

Gonna be the first to say I actually hate intense sunlight.

Also gonna chime in here and say that I hate summer due to sunshine most of the time.  I also have to deal with high humidity on top of that, and it makes me long for winter to PLEASE COME BACK ALREADY!

8 hours ago, Light Strategist said:

And whilst many would argue about the cold weather being awful, at least you can always add more layers to yourself. On the other hand, however, I have no intention of removing my flesh...

Yeah I don't like a lot of heat either because...when it's cold you can put on as much as you need. When it's hot you can only take off so much before it becomes illegal to be out in public lol.

Snow. 

Even though we get snow here almost every winter, the entire city seems to shut down and go crazy. 

The only thing I like about it is walking around at night while it's freshly snowing.  Everything's all lit up, and it's very peaceful... Then the next day, it just sucks, hehe.  (And it's wet, mushy, and yucky!  ;[)

Yellow dust storms.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Dust

The closest I’ve seen were sandstorms in the Mideast but dust bowls are probably a closer approximation.

A lot of fine dust and sand get’s picked up over Mongolia and the prevailing winds bring it over China’s most industrialized regions where it collects all the pollutants and other particulate garbage it can and dumps it all over China’s east coast, Korea, and sometimes Japan.

If you go outside while this is going on without a dust mask, you’ll probably end up in a hospital.  They even cancel school so children don’t get exposed to it.

As someone who prefers the cold (but not air conditioned cold, I despise that to no end), I'm definitely not a fan of the outdoor heat. It gets humid where I live, and it feels so awkward. If it's a mild temperature with a nice breeze, then whatever, but if it's super windy, I'm not leaving my house. It messes up my hair.

Not too long ago, there were winds so strong that school had to be cancelled because of it. It ripped the sidings of houses off and messed up the shingles on roofs. A friend's fence got totaled because of a fallen tree.

Overall, strong winds and blazing temps are absolutely awful.

Edited by indigospace

I have to contend with strong wind a lot all year because I live in the South, but blizzards/snow in general are devastating to the South because no one knows how to deal with it. The most consistently bad driving I know is Southerners in the snow, hands down.

On 29/05/2018 at 2:01 PM, Dragoncat said:

Yeah I don't like a lot of heat either because...when it's cold you can put on as much as you need. When it's hot you can only take off so much before it becomes illegal to be out in public lol.

Even if it weren't, you can't take off your skin.

On 29/05/2018 at 5:50 AM, Anacybele said:
On 29/05/2018 at 5:09 AM, Light Strategist said:

at least you can always add more layers to yourself.

Not if you're someone like me who is just always cold in winter no matter how many layers I add. I could wear my heaviest coat over a sweat shirt over a long sleeve shirt with gloves, thick pants, and a winter hat and I'd still freeze. I just cannot get warm in winter. It's probably due to being pretty skinny and thus lacking much body fat. Fat traps heat. So I've got little to keep heat in.

Whereas this lets heat just bounce off me in warmer months, so I have some natural heat resistance. I don't even mind sweating, and I can walk in 90 degree temps for a bit without being bothered. I also don't sunburn easily despite being rather pale skinned. Besides, my favorite ways to vacation are summer things like water parks, amusement parks, zoos, etc. Basically outdoor stuff.

I guess that makes us opposites. I suppose it doesn't really help me that my best friend is like a human radiator. XD