Staying Focused

indigoasis

I need some advice with staying focused on work or studies of any kind. I figured making this topic could help out other people, too, so that's why I made it. I know making this topic is probably counterproductive, but anyone can use it for future reference, at least. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Just some general or personal tips that could work for anyone and everyone is fine.

This type of thing goes in General, not Serious Discussion.  Please read the sticky, and feel free to PM any questions about it.

As for the topic, it's personal discipline, up to a point.  I usually set a small goal for myself, and work from there (thank you F:GO for the various event types).

I suck at it. My general thought process goes "How long can I afford to not stay focused?" Once I hit the threshold of "Not being focused right now is going to be actively detrimental to me/those around me", I tend to get pretty focused.

Also music. Music helps.

One time I got really focused after a joint and some Chappelle stand-up. Finished my oral comprehension exam presentation pretty baked. My adviser said it was really good. Now I officially have PhD candidacy.

Basically, just try relaxing for a set period of time.

Guided meditation also works wonders, but you have to really give into the process. 

This is actually a recording I use from time to time at night. It helped me fall asleep easier and using this every day for a while helped me with focus. At worst, you will get a good night's sleep and some guided meditation. These things are good for you! At best, well, you accomplish your goal.

You can generally find guided meditation stuff all around youtube.

Set your phone and computer to do not disturb mode and listen to soft music that you've heard before. Like, heard a lot. That way the music relaxes you but you don't really tune into it hard because you're familiar with it. It's sort of deafening in a way.

I pretty much do all these sorts of things at once if I need to focus on something.

Edited by Lord Raven

Lay off social media and an important part of the Internet. I thought I had simply naturally had this problem, but I realise it's very common in the present day, with people checking their phones and social media every 5 minutes. Easier said than done, but at least you know what part of the problem is.

Being able to simply stay put without any sort of constant stimulation also helps.

Edited by Oz ♠

19 hours ago, eclipse said:

This type of thing goes in General, not Serious Discussion.  Please read the sticky, and feel free to PM any questions about it.

Ok, thank you. Sorry for the mistake.