Rank the Rally Skills from Worst to Best

Jotari

Content's in the title really. Which of the Rally Skills do you think are super helpful, and which do you think are just meh (taking Rally Spectrum by it's nerfed Fates version).

From worst to best:

• Magic (Fates) - tomes just aren't as good as they were in Awakening, and the magic units in said game are mostly pretty bad)
  • Movement (1 extra move at the cost of a unit's turn is a waste)
  • Spectrum (if we're going by Fates, then it's hindered by being from an underwhelming class, as well as being a level 15 skill)
  • Skill
  • Luck (hindered by being learned by healers, which often have better things to do)
  • Resistance
  • Strength
  • Magic (Awakening)
  • Speed
  • Defense

10 minutes ago, Modamy said:

Everything else is pretty situational and worse than rally spectrum

I would agree if you were talking Awakening, but there's no chance in hell that's true in Fates.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

For Fates, slanted towards CQ specifically:

Rally Defense- comes on a great class and extra concrete durability is awesome.

Rally Strength- concrete offense for the majority of units you'll likely be using. The only issue is you need to hope into a so-so class to get it.

Rally Resistance- the other concrete durability buff, which makes it inherently good. On CQ, you will almost certainly be making Elise into one, thereby guaranteeing a source of it.

Rally Speed- stuck in Hoshido for the most part, despite Nohr needing it and Hoshido not really at all. Still, it's on a class that you will probably use, and being able to suddenly double is a major boon.

Rally Skill- it can assure hits will hit in a game where the RNG isn't quite as weighed in your favor as prior games, and is on a class you likely will be using on CQ.

Rally Magic- The issue is that for most teams I believe, the majority of your offense will be physical, and the class that gets RM is magical. So in practice, at most I can only see it buffing up to three other units on your team, despite the fact the RM user wishes they themselves could receive the buff. 

Rally Luck- the only rally to come on an unpromoted unit. +4 Crit Evade/Hit/Avoid is okay, but nothing truly significant.

The remaining two Rallies- Spectrum and Movement, are DLC only, and I don't have access to Landmaster. I do have the two path bonus Ebon Wings though. Rally Movement has some niche uses I can imagine, but it isn't as readily good as other ones. Probably above Magic but below Skill for me.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Rallies are very situational and as such I find them useless most of the time. Where they either cost a turn that would be better served doing something else or take up a skill slot that I could use for something more useful. However when it comes down to it I'd say Rally Luck and Skill are the worst, with Rally Def , Str and Speed being better in my opinion as far as rallies are conscerned. Rally Magic and Resistance can be solid but are dependant on who you are rallying and what you're facing. And generally there are more physical units than magical in your army.

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Rally Strength- concrete offense for the majority of units you'll likely be using. The only issue is you need to hope into a so-so class to get it.

Rally Resistance- the other concrete durability buff, which makes it inherently good. On CQ, you will almost certainly be making Elise into one, thereby guaranteeing a source of it.

Rally Speed- stuck in Hoshido for the most part, despite Nohr needing it and Hoshido not really at all. Still, it's on a class that you will probably use, and being able to suddenly double is a major boon.

Rally Skill- it can assure hits will hit in a game where the RNG isn't quite as weighed in your favor as prior games, and is on a class you likely will be using on CQ.

Rally Magic- The issue is that for most teams I believe, the majority of your offense will be physical, and the class that gets RM is magical. So in practice, at most I can only see it buffing up to three other units on your team, despite the fact the RM user wishes they themselves could receive the buff. CQ can't get it either.

Rally Luck- the only rally to come on an unpromoted unit. +4 Crit Evade/Hit/Avoid is okay, but nothing truly significant.

The remaining two Rallies- Spectrum and Movement, are DLC only, and I don't have access to Landmaster. I do have the two path bonus Ebon Wings though. Rally Movement has some niche uses I can imagine, but it isn't as readily good as other ones. Probably above Magic but below Skill for me.

Rally luck actually increases units luck by 8, so it's +8 crit evade/hit/avoid. Which can usually outright negate the crit of those random bosses that ruin your day by hitting a 6% critical.

Just now, Jotari said:

Rally luck actually increases units luck by 8, so it's +8 crit evade/hit/avoid. Which can usually outright negate the crit of those random bosses that ruin your day by hitting a 6% critical.

Except Fates nerfed the crit evade formula to 1/2 Luck. And starting with SD, Luck's hit and evade role was halved as well.

Why do we still lack calculations pages for Fates and SoV?

34 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Rally Magic- The issue is that for most teams I believe, the majority of your offense will be physical, and the class that gets RM is magical. So in practice, at most I can only see it buffing up to three other units on your team, despite the fact the RM user wishes they themselves could receive the buff. CQ can't get it either.

I think you give Rally Resistance way too much credit - with mages being less common than physical units, I'd be hard pressed to find a situation where it's a legitimate help. It DOES NOT HELP that the class that gets it is a healer class... and guess what that means? If you guessed "they often have better things to do than blowing their turn for a one turn buff that's overly niche", you win the grand prize!

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

In Awakening, and even then, that only applies to the crit evade part. Fates made crit evade half of your luck stat.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Except Fates nerfed the crit evade formula to 1/2 Luck. And starting with SD, Luck's hit and evade role was halved as well.

2 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I think you give Rally Resistance way too much credit - with mages being less common than physical units, I'd be hard pressed to find a situation where it's a legitimate help. It DOES NOT HELP that the class that gets it is a healer class... and guess what that means? If you guessed "they often have better things to do than blowing their turn for a one turn buff that's overly niche", you win the grand prize!

In Awakening, and even then, that only applies to the crit evade part. Fates made crit evade half of your luck stat.

Oh wow. I didn't know that. Finally explains why crits have been so unkind to me in Fates. I knew it wasn't just the removal of true hit.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I would agree if you were talking Awakening, but there's no chance in hell that's true in Fates.

Yeah I forgot that the Fates variant of rally spectrum is kinda weak.

Best - Rally Speed

Rally Strength

Rally Defense

Rally Magic

Rally Skill

Rally Resistance

Worst - Rally Luck.

Not including Rally Spectrum and Rally Movement since I’ve never actually used them.

Hitting offensive thresholds is the most important thing in my eyes, and Rally Speed and Rally Strength are the two rally skills that most significantly let you hit those thresholds. Rally defense is useful for increasing bulk, Rally Magic is situationally really useful, while usually not being useful, Rally Skill is just something that’s nice for increasing Reliability, Rally Resistance is too often not at all useful, and Rally Luck quite simply does too little (although being able to be tied to rally Magic is nice).

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd love to know that as well. I'm even willing to help if needed.

As for crit evade being 1/2 luck, I'd argue that makes the luck boost from rallying actually significant, even if halved. Still not that big a deal, but eh.

From best to worst

Rally speed: obtainable by Selena in CQ, and very useful in general

Rally strength: self explanatory

Rally def: same

Rally magic

Rally spectrum: even at +2 and though I've never gotten that dlc, it affects every stats with twice the range apparently...? Put it that low because it's learned at 20/15 instead of 20/5. Would be the best otherwise.

Rally movement: mostly for rally bots, but really good on them

Rally res

Rally skill

Rally luck: I'd argue rally luck is somewhat better compared to rally skill(+6 acc and better proc rate on skills vs +4 acc, eva, crit eva). It's lower because rally skill is more readily available where it matters most.

Edit: Oh, that was for Fates btw. Awakening would be largely the same with spectrum at the top, and probably luck above skill.

Edited by Cysx

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Shouldn't Izana come with it? Izana is a solid staffbot and sometime magic chipper.

Oh, true. Forgot about him. Edited.

Edited by Cysx

So, it is true that the rallies are different in Fates vs. Awakening. I'm more familiar with rally in Awakening, so don't be surprised at Spectrum being first. I'll also consider the class it comes from as a factor, though I only think this matters for Dark Flier.

Spectrum: Let's be real, of course this is number 1. Grandmaster's a good class sure, but Spectrum giving +4 to all stats is good enough for everyone.

Heart: So you might wonder why this is so high. Bride's not an exceptional class, but this is still pretty good imo. It only boosts stats by 2 and gives +1 move but rallies stack such that this works on top of other rallies. So the rallier with Rally Spec and this gives +6 and 1 move. Not so bad now huh? It's straight up better than just movement. But for dedicated buffers why not both? This, Move and Spectrum give +6 and 2 move, which is frankly hilarious.

Speed: Speed is always useful, so I think it's worth having here. I don't think I have much else to say. Falcon Knight's alright, I guess.

Magic: Offences are good and magic is good in Awakening. Sage is also a good class, not much to say here.

Strength: Magic is better in Awakening to be honest, but +4 to damage dealt is nothing to be sneezed at regardless. It comes off Warrior, an alright class with great skills. The main reason I want DLC Katarina when I finally finish Apotheosis is that she has it and access to all the other rallies and as such is best rallier.

Defence: Raising defence stat is good, considering how many other enemies use physical enemies. General sucks, but that's more because what it doesn't cover imo.

Resistance: Physical weapons are more likely, sorry. The class also doesn't have great skills but Valkyire's a mage cav, so it's got some benefits.

Movement: +1 move does have a lot of uses, but I honestly don't think I could see it as essential. Still it does work well on top of other buffs. I do have an issue with it though. It's on the same class as Galeforce. In other words, you want that unit getting an attack in (Regardless of what class they're in), so this does waste a galeforce user, if they're appropriate for it. Dedicated rallyers will be definitely wanting this especially if they have good rallys besides.

Skill: I'm sorry, but I see no real need in Awakening. The only reason it's higher than luck is because Luck got nerfed. It's also on the very meh Bow Knight.

Luck: You know why it's here.

In Fates: Heart's out, Spectrum moves down to just above Luck (It would be fine if it were +3), Defence rises above Strength and Magic (probably speed too imo), Magic goes below strength and move stays the same because I think neither game makes it all that important imo.

2 hours ago, Cysx said:

I'd love to know that as well. I'm even willing to help if needed.

As for crit evade being 1/2 luck, I'd argue that makes the luck boost from rallying actually significant, even if halved. Still not that big a deal, but eh.

From best to worst

Rally speed: obtainable by Selena in CQ, and very useful in general

Rally strength: self explanatory

Rally def: same

Rally magic

Rally spectrum: even at +2 and though I've never gotten that dlc, it affects every stats with twice the range apparently...? Put it that low because it's learned at 20/15 instead of 20/5. Would be the best otherwise.

Rally movement: mostly for rally bots, but really good on them

Rally res

Rally skill

Rally luck: I'd argue rally luck is somewhat better compared to rally skill(+6 acc and better proc rate on skills vs +4 acc, eva, crit eva). It's lower because rally skill is more readily available where it matters most.

Edit: Oh, that was for Fates btw. Awakening would be largely the same with spectrum at the top, and probably luck above skill.

Honestly, I think Rally Magic can go lower. Much lower. Most mages in Fates are lackluster, especally if they're not royals (I oft have next to none), and in Conquest, Izana comes really goddamn late (by which I mean at a point where my team is set in stone), and is not that great as to justify a unit slot just for a rally most units have no use for. I would also contest Strength for being on a mediocre class, and speed for requiring a valuable Heart Seal that could be put to better use as far as Conquest goes.

4 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Honestly, I think Rally Magic can go lower. Much lower. Most mages in Fates are lackluster, especally if they're not royals (I oft have next to none), and in Conquest, Izana comes really goddamn late (by which I mean at a point where my team is set in stone), and is not that great as to justify a unit slot just for a rally most units have no use for. I would also contest Strength for being on a mediocre class, and speed for requiring a valuable Heart Seal that could be put to better use as far as Conquest goes.

Direct mages are limited yes, but most magical weapons are pretty strong so it can still make a difference on units with decent magic, let alone magic!myunit or Leo; there's also the fact that I don't think anything below rally movement is particularly significant. Strength and speed are on rallyman to be fair, and ferrying + rally speed is a pretty worthwhile investement afaic. And as far as rally def goes, it also requires either a heart seal on Camilla or training Beruka, which is a decent choice largely thanks to flight, but not your greatest option by any means either. It's more readily available but not to such a huge extent.

Forgot to point out that rally skill typically gives 2 crit, eh.

53 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Direct mages are limited yes, but most magical weapons are pretty strong so it can still make a difference on units with decent magic, let alone magic!myunit or Leo; there's also the fact that I don't think anything below rally movement is particularly significant. Strength and speed are on rallyman to be fair, and ferrying + rally speed is a pretty worthwhile investement afaic. And as far as rally def goes, it also requires either a heart seal on Camilla or training Beruka, which is a decent choice largely thanks to flight, but not your greatest option by any means either. It's more readily available but not to such a huge extent.

Forgot to point out that rally skill typically gives 2 crit, eh.

And magic weapons are extremely limited in usefulness unless you have the likes of Felicia and Elise in physical classes. Most other units probably won't get anywhere near "decent" magic without, you know, being in a magic class. As for Rallyman, that's assuming that Niles is in play - and that loser is someone I have far from a glowing opinion of. Not to mention the part where that's late in the game. As for Rally Defense, I often get mileage out of it because Malig Knight is a third-rate class that is best avoided like the plague.

8 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

And magic weapons are extremely limited in usefulness unless you have the likes of Felicia and Elise in physical classes. Most other units probably won't get anywhere near "decent" magic without, you know, being in a magic class. As for Rallyman, that's assuming that Niles is in play - and that loser is someone I have far from a glowing opinion of. Not to mention the part where that's late in the game. As for Rally Defense, I often get mileage out of it because Malig Knight is a third-rate class that is best avoided like the plague.

I'll disagree on that, then again, with no Malig!Camilla and no (Adventurer!)Niles, it makes sense that one wouldn't get to use them all that often. Still, nearly silver sword might with 1-2 range tends to make up for the lower offensive stats quite nicely, afaic, especially in Fates where 1-2 range otherwise sucks. Also while the mages themselves are meh, early access to brave weaponry at an affordable cost(read: forge potential) is on the other hand pretty great, and rally magic works well in tandem with that.

I'd say Niles isn't that bad, since he at least doubles consistently and can make a decent ninja killer, which is pretty useful in Conquest. As for Malig vs Wyvern lord, +1 str, spd and +2 def are hardly worth a seal in my opinion(at the cost of 5 res too). The class growth difference is hardly a big deal as well.

1 hour ago, Cysx said:

I'll disagree on that, then again, with no Malig!Camilla and no (Adventurer!)Niles, it makes sense that one wouldn't get to use them all that often. Still, nearly silver sword might with 1-2 range tends to make up for the lower offensive stats quite nicely, afaic, especially in Fates where 1-2 range otherwise sucks. Also while the mages themselves are meh, early access to brave weaponry at an affordable cost(read: forge potential) is on the other hand pretty great, and rally magic works well in tandem with that.

I'd say Niles isn't that bad, since he at least doubles consistently and can make a decent ninja killer, which is pretty useful in Conquest. As for Malig vs Wyvern lord, +1 str, spd and +2 def are hardly worth a seal in my opinion(at the cost of 5 res too). The class growth difference is hardly a big deal as well.

Even though magic weapons are rather niche unless, as I stated earlier, you had someone like Elise or Felicia in a physical class (and then there's the matter of needing to work your way up to C rank)? Because most of the stuff magic weapons would be a boon against are rare as hell or get their day ruined by effective weapons (Stoneborn for the former, Great Knights and Generals for the latter; Generals are particularly annoying since Wary Fighter means multiple units are needed to get rid of one). With regard to the brave weapon stuff, you mean the one with a pathetic 1 might that also drops your magic and skill after combat?  Even if I forged it, it's a slightly less pathetic 3 might. Whoopedy-freaking-do. And that's ignoring that the forge system isn't worth it.

Niles is fast, but that's one of the few good things about him. And it doesn't make up for being lacking in damn near everything else. Ninja killers are something I'd have when I really need them, even without him (Anna, Nina, Bow Knight Selena, maybe more). As for Malig vs Wyvern Lord, I don't see 5 extra res making a difference when Camilla wants nothing to do with mages (either she's WTD'd or they're laughing at her piss poor magic attack). And there's the matter where Rally Defense actually does something, unlike the shitstain that is Savage Blow.

27 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Even though magic weapons are rather niche unless, as I stated earlier, you had someone like Elise or Felicia in a physical class (and then there's the matter of needing to work your way up to C rank)? Because most of the stuff magic weapons would be a boon against are rare as hell or get their day ruined by effective weapons (Stoneborn for the former, Great Knights and Generals for the latter; Generals are particularly annoying since Wary Fighter means multiple units are needed to get rid of one). With regard to the brave weapon stuff, you mean the one with a pathetic 1 might that also drops your magic and skill after combat?  Even if I forged it, it's a slightly less pathetic 3 might. Whoopedy-freaking-do. And that's ignoring that the forge system isn't worth it.

Niles is fast, but that's one of the few good things about him. And it doesn't make up for being lacking in damn near everything else. Ninja killers are something I'd have when I really need them, even without him (Anna, Nina, Bow Knight Selena, maybe more). As for Malig vs Wyvern Lord, I don't see 5 extra res making a difference when Camilla wants nothing to do with mages (either she's WTD'd or they're laughing at her piss poor magic attack). And there's the matter where Rally Defense actually does something, unlike the shitstain that is Savage Blow.

I got some solid mileage out of them personally, especially on EP, but I can't exactly go into details at this point, so moving on. Remember, brave swords have only 6 might. Also, I thought Heroes would at least teach people that brave weapons are broken by design, no matter their might, let alone in a game where they charge 2/5th of your dual guard gauge every time. Why would the forge system not be worth it?

Niles has chest and doors utility and good combat if used correctly; of course, the fact that he alone can capture some very useful units looks quite good on his resume. Anna is dlc, Nina is... his daughter, Selena can be a pegasi...

I think I've seen you argue about savage blow at some point in the past, so I won't bring it back up, I'm clearly not changing your mind. That being said, you put rally res relatively high on the list yourself, so it seems weird that you'd diss the stat here, especially on an unit that always want to be in the frey like Camilla. She's not a mage killer, but being able to tank magic hits is still quite useful regardless.

Edited by Cysx

38 minutes ago, Cysx said:

I got some solid mileage out of them personally, especially on EP, but I can't exactly go into details at this point, so moving on. Remember, brave swords have only 6 might. Also, I thought Heroes would at least teach people that brave weapons are broken by design, no matter their might, let alone in a game where they charge 2/5th of your dual guard gauge every time. Why would the forge system not be worth it?

Niles has chest and doors utility and good combat if used correctly; of course, the fact that he alone can capture some very useful units looks quite good on his resume. Anna is dlc, Nina is... his daughter, Selena can be a pegasi...

I think I've seen you argue about savage blow at some point in the past, so I won't bring it back up, I'm clearly not changing your mind. That being said, you put rally res relatively high on the list yourself, so it seems weird that you'd diss the stat here, especially on an unit that always want to be in the frey like Camilla. She's not a mage killer, but being able to tank magic hits is still quite useful regardless.

When you're attacking. That needs to be emphasized. And the braves have some nasty downsides in Fates, on top of accuracy issues (-4 Defense and Resistance? No thank you. Halved strength or magic until you attack again? Forget it). Given the complaints about misses, they're not something I want to be touching with a 10-foot pole. Especially when missing means that the user eats a nasty counter thanks to the defense drops, in the case of the melee weapons.

And then I see his non-speed and Resistance stats and... is that the sound of a toilet flushing I hear? Because it sure sounds like it... Anyway, to keep things short, you're wasting your time - and mine - trying (and failing) to convince me Niles is good, so do us both a favor and bother me about him no more. I don't give a fig about capture when I have to use a lackluster unit to do it. WRT the others, Anna is DLC, but I have access to her map; I admit, though, that might not be the case for everyone. Nina might require me using him for a while, but I see it as worth it when she outclasses him (admittedly, that might depend on her mother). And Selena might be able to be a peg, but I don't see the appeal when there's better uses for my limited Heart Seals.

And then I went and said that Rally Resistance was hindered by being learned by a healing class, because more often than not they're better off, you know, keeping my army alive, dammit. Which, now that I think about it, might make it take a dive.

6 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

When you're attacking. That needs to be emphasized. And the braves have some nasty downsides in Fates, on top of accuracy issues (-4 Defense and Resistance? No thank you. Halved strength or magic until you attack again? Forget it). Given the complaints about misses, they're not something I want to be touching with a 10-foot pole. Especially when missing means that the user eats a nasty counter thanks to the defense drops, in the case of the melee weapons.

And then I see his non-speed and Resistance stats and... is that the sound of a toilet flushing I hear? Because it sure sounds like it... Anyway, to keep things short, you're wasting your time - and mine - trying to convince me Niles is good, so do us both a favor and bother me about him no more. I don't give a fig about capture when I have to use a lackluster unit to do it. WRT the others, Anna is DLC, but I have access to her map; I admit, though, that might not be the case for everyone. Nina might require me using him for a while, but I see it as worth it when she outclasses him (admittedly, that might depend on her mother). And Selena might be able to be a peg, but I don't see the appeal when there's better uses for my limited Heart Seals.

And then I went and said that Rally Resistance was hindered by being learned by a healing class, because more often than not they're better off, you know, keeping my army alive, dammit. Which, now that I think about it, might make it take a dive.

Indeed, it's the same in Heroes though. And sure, they're imprecise, (well, the lightning isn't) but I'd say their biggest problem is their price. Despite their downsides, the ones that you get for free are probably getting used, because they're that good during player phase. Also, as said before, they build up guard gauge faster, meaning they increase survivability as well.

>Anyway, to keep things short, you're wasting your time - and mine - trying to convince me Niles is good, so do us both a favor and bother me about him no more.

... right. Well, I'll stop there altogether then. See you around.