Tales of Malaketh: Ritual of the Blood Red Night - Part 1: On The Run

Nanami Touko

"Astrid, really... None of us should be doing this. Riling up indeed. She said you had yourself at her neck, and you didn't get a taste? Sounds like you got caught up in playing with your food, so to speak." Misea almost felt bad for the countess, this was less about needing to survive, Mina was almost like some fancy restaurant you'd visit on a special occasion, silly as it was to think. An incredibly fine wine. "I'm sure if you're considerate about her body, and you're truly suffering so much, Mina will humor you. I would give her a day, though, before you begin your fascinations again. I don't expect she's about to faint, but two bites in an afternoon is enough for one human."

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think that's enough said on that, Alex. I don't think anyone cares. And those that might... aren't the kind of people we want overhearing us." Glendwr was surprised how loose Alex's lips had become after a little booze. Was I that talkative after I drank, earlier? Or is she just bad at keeping her mouth shut when drinking? He looked back at Jackson. "Don't mind her. She's talking about things even we weren't supposed to know at first." Glendwr then remembered there was something he still needed from town. "Damn it, I forgot we need oil." He went over and sat on Mikaela's opposite side. "Hey, Mikaela. Now that you've been hired on, you can start pulling weight. Once we've all had a rest, I need something important for... starting fires. I was gonna ask Alex, but I think this would be the perfect job for you, as the other recent addition left before she had the chance to prove anything to us. " Glendwr wasn't sure why Mikaela had joined, but having an extra pair of hands was certainly welcome.

A man? Impossible. That would have been the first objection raised, back when Mina had initially mistaken Misea for Almira's mother, not whatever it had been... 'barely old enough, but no, just looking after her' or the like. Why not dispel the mistake with the most obvious means available? But... what cause had they to lie about the matter now?

Embarrassment and disbelief kept her distracted long enough for the knight's teeth to penetrate, and the slight bliss the bite brought helped ease her down from petrifying mortification to merely finding herself speechless with shame.

For her part... his part, the knight seemed to be struggling with issues of their own, leaning aside and holding their hand in front of their face. Was there actually something wrong with her blood, then? A few uncomfortable moments of waiting, before Misea opened his mouth and clarified. The bizarre compliments that followed, when piled on top of everything else, were just too much. Mina lowered her head forward, her hair falling down to cover her face.

"I haven't brought the princess to any harm then," she murmured softly, yet clearly audible. "Good." Then shaking her head, she found she couldn't come up with any answer to the greater question of who, what, or why. "I'm nobody special. Just, little old Mina Murray, nobody less, nobody more." A slight shrug accompanied her shared confusion over the matter.

She fell silent again as the knight and the countess bantered about a bit more, finding it awkward to butt in despite being the topic of conversation. Or maybe exactly because of it. Astrid had been chided by the knight for her behaviour, but the woman still seemed to have seen nothing wrong with her actions, just their failure to achieve the intended result. A little frustrating really, but likely just one of those gaps between species that would prove difficult to bridge. Mina found herself raising her fingers to her lips, but realized this and stopped well before they got there.

Pushing both hands down on her knees instead, gaze still focused on the planks of wood in the floor, very interesting grain patterns really, she raised her voice slightly. "So... where does this leave us all then, exactly?"

"She expressly asked me not to bite her neck, so I thought only to tease her with a gentle kiss upon it. Mmm, beautiful people are always my undoing... to see that wondrous face painted pink, skin flush with blood, and those soft lips glistening in the light of that blasted sun... even strong women have their weaknesses. I suppose I didn't expect her to be quite so irresistible up close." Astrid explained, towards Misea's accusations of playing with her food. Not an incorrect assertion, but still. The signs of attraction were all there, and now it was the Countess' plight to suffer over a game of hard to get.

"Almira should be fine... Where does that leave us? Where do you want it to leave us, Mina?" Considering she was now the bearer of two fresh bites, and she still hadn't fled, perhaps... "While I am worried about how strong your blood is, Almira seems no worse for wear. You're... Simply delicious, is all I can really say. Do you want to feed her?" Perhaps an odd question for Mina, but it wasn't exactly out of the ordinary. "As terrible as this situation has quickly become, it seems, aside from Astrid's views on personal space, that things are starting to mellow out... And you may say you're nobody special, but Mina, nobody special wouldn't still be here after being bit twice. It's definitely an acquired feeling, and yet you're not shirking away after the first." Definitely curious, but it didn't need pressed beyond that.

"If you're willing, then I'll let you work it out with her. I might act like her parent, but... She's still young, but she's almost fifty. I can't live her life for her." Misea gently pet the princess' hair again, Almira seeming to have calmed down entirely, sheepishly looking over at Mina. "What do you think then, Almira?"

"Uhm... W-Well... I don't, want to impose. So, I-I'll... Mina can choose, it's her blood."

"Hmhmhm. I thought you'd say that... There you have it, Mina. My apologies for things turning out this way... This was supposed to be a quick, calm adventure to the capital, and we're already rocking each others boats." Astrid seemed to have more to say about Mina, some of the comments making Misea chuckle.

"Nobody special indeed, miss Mina Murray. You might have to rethink that appraisal of yours... I'm afraid I find myself agreeing with many of Astrid's comments. Nevertheless, this is all I needed to hear. You're free to retreat to one of the provided rooms, or mingle downstairs. I... Will probably stay here. After Lua's sudden dash, and all of this, I believe I need a break. Almira," Misea turned to her, patting her back some. The girl hopped up, nodding.

"I-I'm gonna go talk to everyone else some more then... Uhm, s-sorry about this again, Mina... And, th-thank you for the meal, I suppose." Without a thought that it would've been awkward for the teacher, Almira slipped away, out the door, and started heading back downstairs.

Misea sighed and slipped back until they were entirely collapsed against the bed. "I don't need to sleep, but I sure as hell want to."

He listened, and as the story progressed his brows arched up in surprise and...well dare he say skepticism?  Still, if what they were saying was true, there wasn't a need to question them at the moment.  Mikaela kept silent as he took another sip of his drink, then settled the glass down as he processed he information.

"I see...Well, that certainly is worrisome," he replied softly, keeping in mind what Jackson said.  Before he could continue talking to Alex though, her companion had interjected, and the way he was demanding things had him slowly lose his smiled and soft expression.  "Sir, are you seriously trying to order me around?  I can tell you right now that I am only here for my own enjoyment, as well as to help the cause of your patron Misea.  Also, I know what oil is, so no need to give me an explanation on the matter," he replied, a bit miffed that the other had no class.

Returning to the conversation at hand though, he went back to Alex and gave her his usual smile.  "That's quite the tale you've told me, and I can at least get the full story later on from Misea, without prying ears all around us.  Well, here's to us for making it out alive from this journey...hopefully," he added, before picking up his glass to tink it against alex's own.

Seph chuckled as the newcomer quickly settled in, unafraid to stick up for himself. "You're going to have to try harder than that it seems, if you want someone to do your dirty work Glen." The man seemed especially on edge right now for some reason, cutting Alex off for answering a question when he had been the one to bring up vampires in the first place. Perhaps Lua leaving had bothered him? 

No matter, in the end he would sort himself out. Seph was somewhat more worried about what was going on upstairs. But it wouldn't do to focus on it. He didn't feel the need for a drink of his own, but he still settled in next to those who were drinking. "Glad you could join our group. Another blade means a bit more safety for the rest of us. You'll be helpful in helping us achieve our goals, I'm sure of it."

"Uh? Oh, don't be a fuddy-duddy, Glen. This guy's been helping Misea, I'm sure there's no harm in him knowing." The barkeeper didn't seem like the sort, "And not even an opportunistic butthole can try to rat us out. This whole thing is just bad juju, ain't no good offer they can get there." Alex was at least sure of that. There was no harm in telling the barkeep now that he already knew of vampires, anyways. Speaking of...

"Hell yeah, bring on the meat!" If Misea was paying, surely he wouldn't mind. Alex was up for something less gamey, personally. "It's too bad we're hitting the road soon, but staying here too long isn't good either." She raised her glass, appreciating Mikaela's optimism. "To us making it back alive!" And richer, probably.

Edited by Xinnidy

Glendwr looked around at the group that was still downstairs. He had managed to garner some form of contempt from all 3 with just a few words. "Well, I see you 3 are doing just fine without me, so I'm going to take a nap. Besides brunch, I've had kind of a shite day." Glendwr went up the steps and followed the hall to the back, taking the far room on the right. He opened the door and went in, closing it behind him. He picked the bed close to the door, put the box with his old boots under the bed, and took off his hat. He then pulled back the covers and got under them, hoping sleep would follow. a few hours rest wouldn't wash away how much of a mess this day was for him, but maybe it would afford him a clear head for later.

Edited by Hylian Air Force

Jackson watched the grumpy man trundle off, shaking his head some. "What crawled up his arse an' died? Guess workin' with... Well, y'know. Guess it hits others harder. Not my problem! Long as he ain't causin' issues, I'm not gonna fuss. Meat, right. Gimme a minute." Jackson fiddled with a few jars behind the counter before grabbing a bowl, a plate, and heading over to... That was a cauldron. Popping the lid off, the smell of stew filled the counter's area, ladling the bowl full, and handing the set over to Alex. "Chicken stew an' some jerky. It's about all I can cook, but along with the beer, makes fer a pretty good meal. Hope it's good enough. Y'all get along, now... Hello there, little lady."

Almira paused on the stairs, looking over, grabbing onto the railing a bit tighter. "H-Hello. Uhm..." Making her way down the rest of the steps, she awkwardly tried to put herself in the middle of the group, sitting at the bar.

"Now, y'know yer not really old enough fer--"

"Er... I-I'm, forty seven," Almira sheepishly interrupted, trying to look up at him.

"... Right. Vampires," Jackson mumbled. "Well, y'can drink if you want. I'm sure the rest o' y'all will look after her, right?" He gave an eye to Alex and the two men, setting another glass on the counter. Almira went about picking it up and taking a sip, furrowing her brow.

"Why do you guys drink this? It's really bitter..."

"I dunno, he always seems gloomy, boss. I think it's just everything getting to him." Alex shrugged, "It'd be nice if he took it easier. Never know what's gonna be happening tomorrow. Ain't that right..." Alex definitely wouldn't expect working with vampires back when she set foot on the borders. It truly happened in a brisk pace, looking back. "If you don't stop to enjoy the simple things, you're gonna have a bad time all around... and miss out on some good food!" The stew was simple, but it looked like just the right thing. Alex took the bowl gladly. "Oh, that's more than enough. It'll get rid of the aftertaste just fine!"

Sometime during that, Almira had found herself back down. What piqued Alex's curiosity was how Almira came back alone --were the others still stuck talking something else?--. For a moment, Alex worried about Mina again, her mind struggling a reason to ask Almira about her human acquaintance's condition. "Everything went fine up there, Almira?" It'd be awkward to be forward about it while they were down there, as well... "Sit down, and don't mind the bitterness, it's really the fuzzy feeling after that does it! Anyway... was this sudden thing about, uh, what happened in the clothestore?"

...Beautiful, wondrous, irresistible? Really. Maybe they just wanted for proper comparison, or perhaps being too used to living at night their eyes didn't see things the way regular people did. Probably everything was just colored by their noses, given all the facts. Still, the bevy of compliments began to have an effect on Mina, as a warm, pleasant, tingling sensation worked its way across her scalp and down the back of her neck. A quiet cough was all the protest she managed to muster.

The issue of 'feeding' Almira was raised, on presumably a more permanent basis, and the teacher found herself not really sure how to answer. Hearing she'd seen fifty summers was hard to believe, with how sheltered and naive she'd been, but then again she was a princess. And she would have to eat somehow, however... and for that matter too, the others would also need to manage, a request that had been conspicuously left unsaid. It was all a bit of a mystery.

"I'll... need to consider it carefully," Mina managed awkwardly. "You were worried about... how did you put it... it being too strong, or that, uh she might not be able to be satisfied without it, or..." She glanced briefly at the two remaining vampires as she'd tried to recall how each of them had phrased their concern, not quite an objection, regarding the situation.

"In event of emergency, certainly," she hurriedly moved to clarify, then calmed back down and continued falteringly. "For general everyday... I'm not, I don't quite know yet. We have time though, right? To figure out a good solution?"

Then there was Misea's collapse on the bed, and comments that almost seemed like she... like he was trying to usher her out of there. Which wouldn't have been an issue, save that there was still that other matter Wilhelmina needed to discuss with them. She briefly considered asking Astrid to leave for it, her finances were none of the countess's concern after all. But then again that would leave her alone in the bedroom with a man, which was a little dangerous. Not that being alone in a bedroom with Astrid wasn't dangerous either. In fact, the teacher was almost getting the feeling of being trapped between a tiger and a dragon, possibly only safe from either because neither was willing to act with the other present.

"If I might intrude just a short while longer," Mina begged pardon as she broached the subject. "There was, one other, unrelated matter I'd been hoping to speak with you about." She paused before continuing. If whatever had gone on with Lua, on top of all of this, was too much, she could wait after all. Hopefully not for too long, Alex deserved to get reimbursed as soon as possible. But it surely wasn't anything that couldn't be put off till evening, when the vampire would probably be more in her... in his element, and less weary of it all.

In the event of an emergency was enough for Misea, slowly sitting up again, having let themselves their moment of tantrum. Almira would hopefully be fine on their blood... Probably Astrid's, really but still. Yawning quietly, fangs wonderfully prominent, Misea nodded at the extra matter. "By all means, Mina. Whatever it is that's on your mind, I am free to answer. Pardon me, really, Almira is... Simply a lot. I've never been a father, let alone a caretaker. Handling her within the castle was simply a matter of watching over her and making sure she didn't get herself into trouble, but now... Having to be there for her on this level, it's all new to me. I know I've the rest of you to help, but then days like these happen, and new worries spring out of seemingly nowhere. How do you humans do it, really? Raising entire families, it's wonderful. I can't fathom it, personally, though I suppose I should start trying!"

Misea laughed at themselves a bit, before shaking their head. "Listen to me ramble. Go ahead, what was it that you needed?"

"Uh, u-upstairs? Yeah... I think so. I just wanted to come talk to you all for a bit before sleep... Well, you guys, sleeping. I slept last night, so, dunno if I will tonight." The fuzzy feeling after? Almira was starting to feel something of one developing, drinking a bit faster. It was kinda warm, and woozy, but the stuff was tasting better the more she had, so... "Mmmm, okay. I'll take your word for it."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

"Oh, uh, hey Almira." Seph awkwardly glanced over at her, but it seemed like everything had gone ok upstairs. Maybe that meant Misea really was ok with everything. Or he hadn't noticed them holding hands... And they would need to deal with all of this later... A truly unpleasant thought. Abruptly standing up, he walked over to Jackson. "I uh... I think I will take a drink after all. And some of that chicken stew for sure. It smells quite wonderful." Better. Focus on something easy, like eating. And drinking. But not getting drunk, that would just lead to disaster. Just... One step at a time, Sephtis. Don't be an idiot...

Well, that seemed to have ended well, at least from a logistics perspective. Mina was sticking around even after being bitten for the second time... recalling this caused a low grumble to escape Astrid's throat, and seemed to be willing to provide sustenance for Almira at least, if necessary. Which of course meant she had no intentions of disappearing in the near future, at least none presently. In addition, Misea seemed to agree with her appraisal of just how alluring the young teacher was, despite her protests on the matter. That had seemed to be about the end of it, the Countess needing only hope that Mina would be agreeable to at least speaking with her afterwards, but it seemed the schoolteacher had more to say to Misea. Well, she could wait just a mite longer with little issue, grinning at Misea's rambling on the issue of feeling like a father. It certainly was rare to see the stoic knight open up in such a fashion.

Mina couldn't but smile at Misea's venting. Coming from her perspective of schoolteacher and seeing an otherwise stolid knight rendered near wits end from just one unruly charge was a bit of a treat. Maybe she should has masked her mirth some, but ah well. At least she managed to compose herself again properly before presenting the question.

"Right," Wilhelmina began. "While shopping, I spotted an enchanted garment that seemed it would be useful for the journey ahead, but it uh, exceeded my personal budget. I relied on Alex to cover the difference, but do feel rather wretched about that, and wanted to ask if you would consider deducting the amount from my future wages and reimbursing her."

Concise, and hopefully convincing. If Misea refused, there weren't many cards she had to bargain with, but she could at least feel better for having tried.

"More drinks is fine by me. Ain't been this lively here fer a while, not complainin'." Jackson went about pouring another mug, a bit worried about their fanged friends, but not letting it get to him enough to stop serving.

Much as he was enjoying himself, a small group at the back weren't. The rest of the bar had written off those talkings, but that was a mistake. "In the morning," one of them whispered. "We attack at night and we'll be outmatched. We need the sun..."

"Spent more than you could bargain for, hmm? You and Lua both... Then again, if it's truly enchanted, I suppose it wouldn't be worth passing up. I wouldn't have the faintest idea if it was or not, you know how vampires and magic are... Or do you? Either way, I suppose that's fine. I'll speak to Alex about it later... And I'm sure," Misea began, gently reaching a finger over, and sliding it across Mina's neck, "that you can find a way to pay me back for getting paid early~" They chuckled, and left it at that. Teasing could only go so far... And much as Misea wasn't about to charge the teacher, they could still taste that blood on their lips. Frightening. ... Well, that, and if they teased further, Astrid was likely to lay into them once Mina left.

"Think so? Well, alright then, Almira." Alex was a bit worried for Mina's sake, still, but if Almira didn't have much to say on that matter, then things likely didn't go south up there. "Oh, take my word for it. It's much better if you eat something as well, to get rid of that aftertaste!" At least one person was enjoying the night the right way, "Nothing better than taking it easy after a long time on the road. Ain't that right, Seph?" Alex looked back at the young man with raised brows, it was easy to infer she hadn't expected him to join in as well. The surprise only lasted a moment, however, and Alex went back to her food with a knowing smile.

So Mina's inquiry was in search of funds, was it? Astrid could tell what Misea was going to do before they did it, and right on cue the knight began to proposition Mina once again. Was this intended to be at the Countess' expense or not? It was difficult to tell at this point.

The comparison to Lua was troubling, mostly because Mina didn't really know what the woman had got up to before running away--on which account the two of them were certainly cut from different cloth. She opened her mouth to protest, but closed it slightly again as she found herself searching for the right words. Her concentration was rudely interrupted when Misea leaned a little closer and ran her... his finger along her neck. It wouldn't have been possible for even an enlightened monk to keep from shuddering slightly, so the fact that the teacher's body instantly reacted could hardly be something to blame her for. The words that accompanied the action were ominous as well, and Wilhelmina found herself swallowing hard.

Curling her hands up on her knees, trying to focus on the now, and not the implied threat, Mina choked out words reaffirming it had been the right choice. "It is... I confirmed it. Enchanted for health, stamina, and vigor." Things I'll likely be needing in spades if I'm to find myself serving as a supplementary food source, she couldn't help but lament inwardly. "And... fine. So long as you don't intend to punish her for my decisions. I'll... we can work it out."

Closing her eyes, taking a breath, and steeling her nerves, Mina reckoned it was time to leave. While she didn't want to give the appearance of bolting, she certainly felt she had pressed her luck perhaps a little further than she ought. "T-That should be everything then, I think? Yes? I'll be heading back downstairs then, it wouldn't do if the others started to worry what was taking us so long."

Standing up, she was met with a brief wave of lightheadedness. Nothing drastic, just the normal sort one gets when rising too quickly after a while off their feet, but likely compounded by being maybe a pint or so lighter than she'd been when she'd woken in the morning. "Upsy daisie," she muttered to herself as she caught her balance before starting to move toward the door.

Edited by Balcerzak

"You truly are so fun to tease. If you believed the purchase a wise choice, then a wise choice it was. I trust you. I'll likely end up being more generous than I'd promised should we arrive without further issue." What fun this was, really... Despite Lua's disappearance, Misea hadn't has this much enjoyment in interacting with someone in... It's been decades, damn. How much have I missed this? Evidently a lot, with how hard Mina was getting it. "Take care of yourself. Please. Almira could use a woman like you in her life... The other candidates are more suited for fighting, or... Well." Misea cast a glance at Astrid with a smirk. "Make sure you eat something to help with what you've lost."

"Mina... might I speak with you, before you wander too far? I would like to... clear up some things. If you feel the need, we can procure some stew from the barkeep and speak over a warm meal and drink." Astrid interjected, standing next to the door, but not making any motions to block the teacher's path. Perhaps she would need catch her later, but Misea's cruelty was having a ghastly effect even second-hand, and left Astrid none too pleased with how things had shaken out earlier.

"Some food at the bar mirrors my own plan rather closely, and if you chose to join me I doubt I could stop you even if I tried," Mina sighed, too tired to put up much fuss over the matter. She somewhat doubted there had been any 'misunderstanding', but if listening to what the countess had to say in the relative comfort of a public setting eased their future relations, why not.

"Don't make things worse, Astrid," was Misea's only advice, sliding onto the bed to rest a moment longer.

A small bit of time had passed, discussions winding down or quietly continue in the bar. Misea had gotten up from their rest, heading downstairs to see who was around... Right, they had to sort out Alex, didn't they? With the gold that Mina would be owed... Unlike Lua, Misea would be running her down and dragging her back if she tried to make a dash after all this. Truly a silly mess... "Ah well, no point in dwelling further... Where is... There she is." Stepping up to the bar, Misea gave Jackson a small wave before taking a seat next to Alex. "Enjoying yourself, then?" Misea smirked, looking past Alex to-- "Almira, goodness, are you drunk?"

"Maybe, jus'... A little bit. It start'd t'taste better the more I had, so I had... Hic! More! Is really nice..."

"Right, you're going straight into a bed once I'm done talking here. Alex, Mina said you helped make a purchase earlier? She wished to have her gold given to you, as a sort of reimbursement... You're fine with this, right?"

Glendwr slowly got out of the bed. Sleep had not been as kind to him as he would've hoped. He left the box under the bed as he put on his new boots. They fit even better now that he had worn them for some time. He left the room and went downstairs, catching a glimpse of Almira drinking from a tankard, her speech as slurred as any other heavy drinker that was here. He almost wanted to laugh, but he soon felt bad for wanting to, as he knew that it would mean that upon waking up, she'd likely be keeled over in an outhouse vomiting, if vampires were still similar to humans in that respect. He went and sat down at the bar where Jackson was still serving. "I think I'm hungry enough for that stew and jerky. Do you still have some?"

Glendwr wanted this day to be over, but it wasn't. He wanted to go back to his room and wanted to sleep longer, but he couldn't. "I would've expected night to be upon us, but it appears the Moon is still denied us. We should make sure we have all that we need. Clothes, weapons, food... Well I'm sure another stroll about the marketplace wil reveal something for us. " He waited on Jackson to get his food. After that, he planned on going out again. Maybe he would be alone this time, but perhaps he wanted someone going along with him. Not Almira, though, that would just be irresponsible.