Fire Emblem Traditions you don't like?

Destiny Hero

So, find yourself another game and stick with it.

Seriously. Every point you made is hardly an issue or a matter of opinion, like "cheesy plot twist."

And if you don't want to discuss pre-FE7 FE's, don't, but don't tell other people not to.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The early Fire Emblem games can't legally be played in English, so people break the law and download an English patch of it. Until the game is in English, it shouldn't exist in English debates, since they technically don't exist yet. They're basically games that haven't been made yet. They're there, but not in English.

No, they exist very much. They haven't been officially released in English yet. Their is nothing wrong with downloading the ROM and a patch. The patch itself is totally legal, and the ROM is almost a grey area. Technically it's illegal, but it hasn't really been licensed for sale here, so...

No, they exist very much. They haven't been officially released in English yet. Their is nothing wrong with downloading the ROM and a patch. The patch itself is totally legal, and the ROM is almost a grey area. Technically it's illegal, but it hasn't really been licensed for sale here, so...

But there hasn't been a case to my knowledge where someone gets arrested/sued solely for having ROMs.

Seriously. Every point you made is hardly an issue or a matter of opinion, like "cheesy plot twist."

And if you don't want to discuss pre-FE7 FE's, don't, but don't tell other people not to.

I will say they are the ones saying he can't have an opinion on the FE series as a whole simply because he's only played the ones he could obtain legally in a language he understood.

Frankly, I think it's offensive to tell someone they are wrong for noticing little things that have carried across the series as we average Americans know the series.

It's a fact all the FE main lord units have been young in the US releases, and the two others most western fans of the series know about are also very young. That's Marth and Roy, FYI, both of whom are the typical teenager hero embarking on a quest to save the world. (So that's FE1-3, 6-10, meaning the vast majority of the series, and I'd be very surprised to find out that the main guys in 4 and 5 weren't also younger characters in their late teens.) Most are, at best, in their late teens. I don't think Ike is even 20 yet in Radiant Dawn, although I could be wrong on that one (but even then, I'm older in reality than he is.) I understand why, I guess. It appeals to Japanese audience. They're used to stories being about young nobodies growing into some epic role. It's clichéd, but they as a culture have a really hard time breaking away from that. Good example is FE12. Penelo and Vaan were originally very, very minor characters. The main guy was supposed to be Basch, but the archtype of the grisly older male who falls from grace and returns to prominance isn't as appealing to the Japanese audience as it is to Americans (we love that in a hero, actually), so they decided to go with Vaan as the main focus character in order to bolster sales.

So it's not just something that annoys me with Fire Emblem, but JRPGs as a whole. Hell, even when they are old, they are still children, like Micaiah or Laharl.

That's probably why I just can't find myself caring a lot about most the FE units as a general rule. Most are boring stereotypes we've seen hundreds of times before. I do enjoy the waring nations aspect in the titles. I think the director pulls it off very well to make it a believable fantasy war (if, again, clichéd because there's always a super obvious good guy and super obvious bad guy you find out about at the very end after who was the main villain for most the time was actually being manipulated but was really a "good soul").

I would absolutely love for another company to make a Fire Emblem clone that appeals more towards Western audiences. Like, say, a Fallout game with Fire Emblem mechanics. I would eat that up in a heartbeat.

Edited by sandmanccl

Guys, don't talk to D-Hero! We can't risk him having an orgasm because people are listening to him!

Traditions I don't like

White Lords - When are we gonna get a brother as a main character?! Blacks should had equal rights in the series! Affirmed Action FTW!!!

Pegasus Sisters Triangle - They need to try other classes (The 3 Mage Sisters of FE4) that aren't foes or sucky units (the Knights of FE6)

Dragon Knight Betrayers - My favorite class aren't all backstabbing bastards! But this is getting out of hand.

Dragons - Idunno. But that does take away a part of the medieval myth that goes with FE.

White Lords - When are we gonna get a brother as a main character?! Blacks should had equal rights in the series! Affirmed Action FTW!!!

It'll be hard finding a lot of blacks in a Japanese-made game, especially as a main character. I've only played FE10, but I don't think there are a good number of blacks in the other games either. More racial diversity in FE is something I would very much like, but saying that the main character should differ from the most prominent type of population is jumping the gun a bit. Still, who wouldn't want Devdanved as the main character?

Hey, you've got Danved. Wait, badbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbad example. :P

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that all characters are almost inherently 'Asian'.

Devdan was an exception, and honestly, they probably shouldn't have made him.

Skin tones vary greatly between Asains, and Devdan is the only character with a hair style that seems incredibly different. As for color. . . Well, yeah.

I understand why, I guess. It appeals to Japanese audience. They're used to stories being about young nobodies growing into some epic role. It's clichéd, but they as a culture have a really hard time breaking away from that. Good example is FE12. Penelo and Vaan were originally very, very minor characters. The main guy was supposed to be Basch, but the archtype of the grisly older male who falls from grace and returns to prominance isn't as appealing to the Japanese audience as it is to Americans (we love that in a hero, actually), so they decided to go with Vaan as the main focus character in order to bolster sales.

That's not to say there aren't exceptions however, like the graphic novel Rurouni Kenshin. There's also Final Fantasy IV.

I see what you mean though. Do you have any idea why that is? And also, what do you mean by "FE12"? There were only 11 far as I know.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Actually, I would also like to see some diversity in race. Look at it this way...Japanese people make the game, and not one single person is Japanese, or even looks it a little. <_<

What I hate...

-Weak characters like Meg who have no purpose.

-Characters with only one line, if they are in the game I think they should be important characters...

- Lord characters being royalty. (Excluding 9/10)

-No diversity in ethnicity. As Snow_Storm put it: I also wanna see a "brothah" Lord. Of course a "brothah" to me would be an Irish, or Arab person. Preferably Arab. :P

-Point above, just to emphasize it more. I'm tired of all White people in games, it's sorta annoying to me.

-Strong Mercs. When are we going to be able to fit that Merc slot with an awesome Swordmaster instead? Mercs -> are too awesome...

-Deeper plot. Anyone remember my old topic about this? Yeah, I still think FE isn't "deep" enough.

-Bosses that don't join your side. I was REALLY thinking Selena would join my side in 8, but I was betrayed. :(. I wanna see a boss character secede from the enemy's lines...

More later.

Edited by Ocelot the Viper

I understand why, I guess. It appeals to Japanese audience. They're used to stories being about young nobodies growing into some epic role. It's clichéd, but they as a culture have a really hard time breaking away from that. Good example is FE12. Penelo and Vaan were originally very, very minor characters. The main guy was supposed to be Basch, but the archtype of the grisly older male who falls from grace and returns to prominance isn't as appealing to the Japanese audience as it is to Americans (we love that in a hero, actually), so they decided to go with Vaan as the main focus character in order to bolster sales.

That's not to say there aren't exceptions however, like the graphic novel Rurouni Kenshin. There's also Final Fantasy IV.

I see what you mean though. Do you have any idea why that is? And also, what do you mean by "FE12"? There were only 11 far as I know.

He meant Final Fantasy 12 when he posted.

Edited by Little Al

not to let anybody's dreams down but there will probably never be a non-white lord. the series is based off of medieval europe, and even though the maps are obviously different, the countries are even based off of real european places. the closest that you'll get to a black character is devdan, and the closest you'll get to an arab one is maybe hardain (ignore the fact that he's evil XD). the japanese market is like 90% west-obsessed, and thats probably how it'll stay, so thats why anime/games are primarily drawn to imitate a sort of european/american look.

the closest that you'll get to a black character is devdan, and the closest you'll get to an arab one is maybe hardain (ignore the fact that he's evil XD).

IF Nintendo would to ever make a black lord,

he'll be the second lord in the series to be killed. Go figure.

Oh, you think because Hardain's Arabic makes him evil? You is ignorant! :P

Speakin of which I also don't like "I'm gonna go emo and then get my emotions messed around with and go evil because a girl doesn't love me" archtype in Fire Emblem.

Edited by Snow_Storm

I want to see an Arab lord. That WOULD fit with the Medieval Europe theme. I mean, the Middle East and Europe were VERY closely linked.

He would be great. Perhaps he would start out wielding swords, as always, and would have a custom weapon called Scimitar, or something. Upon promotion he could gain a Camel. And maybe bows...