What could Fire Emblem have been like on the Gameboy?

indigoasis

It's a random thought that crossed my mind. I know that the Gameboy isn't exactly the most powerful handheld out there, but I'm curious as to what Fire Emblem could have been like on there. Probably not too different from the NES days, but I don't want to undersell the Gameboy's capabilities. I'd like to hear some ideas.

Anyway, my thoughts are that there would be less chapters and maps from the standard 30 or so, but that's all I can think of. Maybe a slightly simplified battle system.

8 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Isn't there a game like that, Micro Emblem or something?

I believe there is. I picture pretty much that only without color because the original gameboy was just black and white.

I think people here might be underestimate the capacities of the GB a bit.

They DID manage to make the original Pokemon games fit onto the original colorless Game Boy. Sure it had boatloads of glitches, but they fit 151 unique playables.

The Game Boy Wars games, released only in Japan, featured 36, 50, 54, and 60 maps respectively.

Pokemon shows they could have possibly fit a full FE cast, GBW shows they might have been able to fit an entire FE campaign.

However, in practice I would expect:

• Not more than 40 characters, a little less than 1, 3, and 5 in roster size. Possibly less than 30 even.
  • Not more than 25 maps, which would have worked since neither of the individual books of FE3 or FE1 exceeded this.
  • Even if they had conceived of the Supports idea, it just couldn't have worked. Too much text. If the SNES had space limitation issues, the GB certainly would have had them too.

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

However, in practice I would expect:

• Not more than 40 characters, a little less than 1, 3, and 5 in roster size. Possibly less than 30 even.
  • Not more than 25 maps, which would have worked since neither of the individual books of FE3 or FE1 exceeded this.
  • Even if they had conceived of the Supports idea, it just couldn't have worked. Too much text. If the SNES had space limitation issues, the GB certainly would have had them too.

I'd say, I mostly agree on this.

In fact, the first thing that came to mind was SRW 2G. It mostly fits. That game has between 35 and 40 playable characters, and while it's 26 maps long, it had route splits so the actual number of maps the game had was somewhat around or over 30. It has also a fair amount of text. Not things like supports like FE had from Binding Blade onwards, but I think it still had a fair amount of text.

Well, I'll just let it speak for itself, if anyone's curious how a stategy game on GB looked: