Catherine: Full Body - previews

henrymidfields

I have heard about the original Catherine game several years ago when it first came out. But it was only recently when Catherine started arousing my interests (so many puns intended), thanks to SuperButterBuns. However, the notorious difficulty being rumored by the commentators scared me away from the game. That is, until we started getting updates about Catherine: Full Body.

Over in the Japanese website and others, information  about the games have been coming in, with a new and friendlier difficulty setting, a new character called Rin, and even a planned DLC of sets of voices from 10 different VAs that I could assign to Catherine (the succubus), other than Miyuki Sawashiro (of Awakening-Female!Robin/Morgan fame). Yukiko (Persona 4) being my waifu, I was estatic to see her VA being cast as one of the options. (Other VAs include Chie (P4), Fuuka (P3), and Futaba (P5) so far. Great, now my Shadow Yu can romance Shadow Yukiko.

American, European, and Oceanian release dates are undecided as of yet, while the Japanese release is on Valentines Day next year, for PS4 and PS Vita.

So who is looking forward to this one? 

Edited by henrymidfields

I played the original and hated it.

I was actually surprised when I heard about this remaster, because it seemed like one of those games that wouldn't get one.

Edited by Slumber

@Slumber: Apparently, it's been quite well known as a tournament game in the US - due to the puzzle and time-trial gameplay. I think it's one of Atlus's few competitive-compatible titles where there is a 2P mode. Mind asking what repels you?

Edited by henrymidfields

2 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

@Slumber: Apparently, it's been quite well known as a tournament game in the US - due to the puzzle and time-trial gameplay. I think it's one of Atlus's few competitive-compatible titles where there is a 2P mode. Mind asking what repels you?

As somebody who's not competitively minded, I really didn't care for the gameplay. It was a pretty straightforward(Not to say it was easy or overly simple) puzzle game.

The throughline for the game with the story was just terrible, though, and the main characters were pretty thoroughly unlikable.

It just ended up being a very unpleasant experience for me when I finished it and let it sink in.

I got Catherine for 1.99 € on last year's Halloween special. For that price I didn't expect all that much tbh. The only thing I knew about this game what this infamous cutscene in the beginning.

It was a puzzlegame which was quite challenging and fun, sometimes a bit frustrating. However I didn't get all blcok mechanics. I could beat the maingame but not Rapunzel. 

As for the plot, well, it's... questionable to say that in this way. This games teaches the consequences of unloyality in a drastic way, but it also gives the player a lesson in alcohol.

The VA cast is pretty popular, some of them are in Persona games (Akihiko's VA). There's also original music used from SMT and Persona.

The music might either attract or daunt people who like classical music.

If you don't care for the plot at all, it's nice brain training.

As for a sequel I didn't expect it, and I'm not interested it because this series doesn't need one imo.

Edited by Necrofantasia

I snagged the game on a digital sale for my 360 years ago but never felt like booting it up. No particular reason why not. I'm just more enamored by obviously bad games like Bionic Commando (2009) and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. Those are the two most recent 360 games I've played through.

Is everyone here secretly wants to play the game but are just secretly afraid to admit themselves lol?
*Shadow Henrymidfields appears, with a a demonic voice*  "I AM A SHADOW, THY TRUE SELF. I KNOW THOU ART ALL ENTHUSIASTIC FOLKS WHO WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME... ADMIT IT, FOR I AM THOU, AND THOU ART I..."

Edited by henrymidfields

33 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

Is everyone here secretly wants to play the game but are just secretly afraid to admit themselves lol?

With the games I just admitted to having played, I don't know what level of shame I could be accused of having...

Updated: The sixth VA option for Catherine Succubus is Kana Asumi. Apparently, she was a VA for one of the characters in Persona 3: Trinity Soul anime series, and she was also the Japanese VA for Lissa from Awakening.

I wonder if there would be a localised DLC with Amanda Winn-Lee and others...

Edited by henrymidfields

I didn't play the original, simply because I'm not that much into puzzle games, over RPG's, and there were others games to have over this one. Watched a few of let's play of it though, it's definitly a plot driven game.
Boy, was the controvercy was fun. The game is certainly suggestive, but sheesh, nothing to write home about. Especially for a you know, a -18 game. -_-'

Kind of makes me happy that I didn't bough it, and salty at the same time. Gee, an update of an older game. Geeeeeeeee.
Might buy it, might not I dunno. I'm tempted.

Updated: The seventh VA option for Catherine is Haruka Tomatsu, as the "tsundere girl". Kind of surprising considering Haru from P5 (Tomatsu's other VA character) is anything but a tsundere. At least I can imagine Chie or Yukiko actually speaking their VA's lines in their preview clips. I wonder who is next; Mitsuru (P3), Nanako (P4), or Naoto (P4) even?

Edited by henrymidfields

On 10/6/2018 at 3:08 AM, henrymidfields said:

Maaaaaybe

Spoiler

I plan on buying the game when it comes out when I get a PS4 in a couple months.

10 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Maaaaaybe

Reveal hidden contents

I plan on buying the game when it comes out when I get a PS4 in a couple months.

He has obtained the facade used to overcome life's hardships, the Sexy Yandere Succubus! hahaha