February 2019 Direct Analysis

VincentASM

On 2/17/2019 at 9:08 PM, VincentASM said:

@Lord_Grima

Nice one! I had a look myself and it seems to match with what you said, but I refined it a little bit.

training-8a-R.jpg

I think it says “The Goddess always lives in heaven and Fodlan. __ __ ___ning over us. As the mother of all living beings. As support of all m______ things.”

Is it just....a direct translation of the Japanese E3 trailer opening narration?

女神は常に天上に住まい[The goddess always lives in heaven]

フォドラを見守ってくださるのです[watching over Fodora]

すべての生ある者の母として[as the mother of all living beings]

すべての心ある者の支えとして[as the support of all mindful things]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very interesting and seems to imply the Church has control over magic. It probably regulates its use. I don't see us losing the ability to use magic when we go up against them though, so the theories about there being opposed factions within the Church might be onto something. The ones on our side will let us keep our access to magic. Of course I could be overthinking this.

7 hours ago, Book Bro said:

This is very interesting and seems to imply the Church has control over magic. It probably regulates its use. I don't see us losing the ability to use magic when we go up against them though, so the theories about there being opposed factions within the Church might be onto something. The ones on our side will let us keep our access to magic. Of course I could be overthinking this.

Psst, the Crests are to blame.

But seriously that kind of makes sense. If the Church uses the Crests to "maintain order" that could mean they use them to both control and distribute magical power, both destructive and healing. We saw that healing magic is called "Faith" in this entry, with elemental/dark being called "Reason." Further confirmed by the fact that all the magic being cast so far has a Crest symbol at the center of its magic circle. So it's not crazy to think that between the Church and a select few powerful Noble houses there is a monopoly on the Crests and the power they grant.

As well while Magic Circles aren't new to the series I wonder if the ones here play a larger role given the fact that they do have clear script and references to the Crests. Past games like Awakening, Fates and Echoes it was just kind of a cool effect, but here it feels like it's taken on a potentially larger significance.