Hardest chain challenge?

Alastor15243

So I’ve officially beaten every chain challenge that’s been released at time of writing (the lunatic ones anyway, I only did them for the orbs). And holy shit were some of them hell. While once I got my full Laguz royal banner team I was able to wipe the floor with a good portion of them, late book 2 started giving me some serious trouble. And the hardest by far was Book 2’s 11 and 12.

For the longest time the biggest stumbling block was how hard it was to predict what Sylvia would do. Enemy dancers are scary when it comes to approach. But then after I assembled two more solid teams with my armor team and cavalry team, I managed to push my way through. Unfortunately, when it was down to my dream team of Valentine Ike and Garm Ephraim (with equal attack and backed up by Winter Eirika for buffs), I was testing out the advice of ditching armor march in favor of dual ward armor. This turned out to be a mistake, as Loki slaughtered them with her immunity to their counterattacks and her ability to do unfathomable amounts of damage to both of them after she sniped Eirika from behind. I had gotten so fucking close, literally down to the last enemy in the last map, and she slaughtered my suddenly approach-incapable armor duo before they could lay a hand on her while she just laughed.

Now that I have Hardin I was hoping I’d have better results adding him to the duo with his own ward armor. Unfortunately I forgot to replace Ophelia with him on the selection screen, forgetting it wasn’t showing my armor team but the specific four units I last used. So I was stuck in the exact same fucking situation again.

But this time I didn’t underestimate her. I kept the hell away from her, took it slow, and when I realized the enemy’s efforts to patch up last battle’s wounds had put Sylvia and Loki right next to each other and thus whoever first went into her range would suffer two rounds of uninterrupted damage and almost assuredly die... I had Ophelia take one for the team, lined up the armor duo with Ike in front and Ephraim behind... and then when Loki took the bait, killed Ophelia and then tried to kill Ike, I repositioned Ephraim into range of Loki, hit her twice with Garm, and then the rest of the battle was like clockwork.

Well, that’s my hellish war story. What are yours?

The most I ever struggled with a Chain Challenge was Book 1 Ch. 11+12.  I remember the fifth map of Ch. 11 being incredibly difficult to tackle with my opening flier team, often resulting in deaths or a complete wipeout.  I can't remember for sure, but it may have been the push I needed to inherit Blarblade+ on summer F!Corrin.  Chapter 12 was full of maps with harsh turn limits that necessitated my strongest cavalry, and even then I went through a lot of trial and error and moving skills around. 

Granted this was all back in 2017.  I'm sure if I played it again now, the tools I didn't have access to back then would dull the challenge considerably. 

At the time, book 1 11-12 was the worst and remains the only chain challenge I’ve used another person’s clear as a blueprint. I went back and redid it a few months absolutely to see how the difficulty holds up and it was actually a lot easier thanks to having a much better group of units. There’s still some challenging maps especially with all the turn limits, but powercreep has made it a bit easier.

Both 9-10 and 11-12 in book 2 though...those are both really rough, especially with the dancers. 9-5 and 10-5 in particular were troublesome maps for me (I needed to make sure I still had a team in reserve just to get through 10-5) and the entirety of 11-12 is just a pain.

I do not remember any being super hard. I did not clear them until flying Dancers/Singers came out so they were super easy by then.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Wait what? Are you implying you’ve played chapter 4 already?

The next chapter released will feature the Fates beasts, as was shown in the trailer.

I’m gonna have to agree with everyone who has said Book II 9-10 because that last level of 9, the one with Helbindi, Ishtar, Sylvia, and Ares plus reinforcements was cancer. Same thing with the last level of 10 with Surtr and the Black Fang.

Everything else was easily done with Brave Bow LA!Roy and refreshers.

Book 1 11 and 12 and book 2 11 and 12 were the most annoying for me.  I just beat both of them last week and I finished clearing out all levels of the CCs today.  I really hope the ones that will show up tomorrow will be easy since I have been dreaming about the hard ones the last few nights.

14 hours ago, Garlyle said:

Book 2 9-10 and 11-12 was on hold for me for a long time. Dancers kept screwing me over.

Ditto on the dancers. The ones at the really end were alright though, because dancers can't dance other dancers (a blessing and a curse)